The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
TeamEllis

Mikko Koskinen

6 hours ago, oilersfaninca said:

Why would he do this?  He's got $12 million guaranteed reasons NOT to.

That's not really a good answer. In fact, that answer would be reflective of ..not the best example....come on Oilersfaninca.... I'm a fan of yours as I agree with much that you say, but let's go! Are we men or are we mouse...?.... kind of thing. Money is one thing. Being a man, et al, is another.

If I was him, (or any pro athlete), I'd work my assoff to be better for the sake of it (and for the next contract)....just sayin. 

On 4/20/2019 at 1:30 PM, EternalFrost said:

Goalies are weird. One year they can't stop a beach ball and the next absolutely nothing gets past them. You never know which goalie is going to show up at training camp. He'll put in the work to improve this summer. Hopefully, it helps him be more consistent next season. I think he'll be fine, but it never hurts to have a good 1B in the organization in case he falters or gets hurt.

Agreed

16 hours ago, oilersfaninca said:

Why would he do this?  He's got $12 million guaranteed reasons NOT to.

Ummm, do you bother to follow the Oilers much down there in CA - you realize that Kos was the hardest working Oiler all season right! He was first on the ice for every practice and stayed late after each one. He also attended all the optional ones. So why would he do this - because that is what he does. It is really simple actually and if you understand the man you would not ask this.

Btw - that does not mean he will be better, but I have no doubts whatsoever about his work ethic

13 hours ago, HappyHappy said:

BWAHAHA, Good stuff haha!! 

Mikko will be fine, you guys worry too much.:th_paranoid:

Unfortunately, you don't know that. None of us do. I'm once again expecting nothing. We have some great prospects in the system that won't come into the NHL fold for a couple years and luckily, Holland will develop them the right way... BUT even if Kosk does play well, the team around him will not be good enough to make the playoffs. Like last year, way too many things have to go right in order for us to be successful this year without sending our prospects right to the front line to become cannon fodders. 

Edited by 94oildrops

6 minutes ago, 94oildrops said:

Unfortunately, you don't know that. None of us do. I'm once again expecting nothing. We have some great prospects in the system that won't come into the NHL fold for a couple years and luckily, Holland will develop them the right way... BUT even if Kosk does play well, the team around him will not be good enough to make the playoffs. Like last year, way too many things have to go right in order for us to be successful this year without sending our prospects right to the front line to become cannon fodders. 

The thing is everyone knows where to shoot on him, they’re not going to forget. Unless Koskinen gets quicker with those big heavy arms of his nothing will change, and for a guy in his 30’s I don’t expect him to get any quicker. Holland needs to upgrade here, no question.

16 hours ago, WHA fan said:

That's not really a good answer. In fact, that answer would be reflective of ..not the best example....come on Oilersfaninca.... I'm a fan of yours as I agree with much that you say, but let's go! Are we men or are we mouse...?.... kind of thing. Money is one thing. Being a man, et al, is another.

If I was him, (or any pro athlete), I'd work my assoff to be better for the sake of it (and for the next contract)....just sayin. 

You and I and every other working stiff have a different perspective on life than these coddled athletes.  

How hard would YOU work at your current job if YOUR employer said they are going to pay you for 3 years no matter what you do (and let's not forget Kosk is getting life changing money.).

It's just human nature.  Of course there are exceptions, but in general guys do not improve after a huge contract.  If you are lucky, they maintain. Most of the time they regress.

Let's hope Kosk is the exception since we are stuck with him as the #1 for 3 years.

Edited by oilersfaninca

5 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Agreed

Ummm, do you bother to follow the Oilers much down there in CA - you realize that Kos was the hardest working Oiler all season right! He was first on the ice for every practice and stayed late after each one. He also attended all the optional ones. So why would he do this - because that is what he does. It is really simple actually and if you understand the man you would not ask this.

Btw - that does not mean he will be better, but I have no doubts whatsoever about his work ethic

How do you know?  Are you at the practices?  

I hope you right.  If Kosk isn't above average, the next 3 years are going to be more of the same.

Just food for thought.  I read this a minute ago and thought it was a good example of what I believe.

"Martin Jones was one of the worst starting goalies in the league during the regular season in his first year of a $34.5 million, six-year contract. He had a career-low .896 save percentage in the regular season and was pulled early in two of his first four postseason starts. He rebounded and was a key part of the first-round win over Vegas but finished the playoffs with an .898 save percentage."

51 minutes ago, oilersfaninca said:

How do you know?  Are you at the practices?  

I hope you right.  If Kosk isn't above average, the next 3 years are going to be more of the same.

I know because the people that do go to practices reported it. It was said more than once on the TV broadcasts (local ones here) and by reporters such as David Staples, Ryan Rishaug, and Rob Tychowski. 

I was even talked about before he took over the starting job (which he did because he was better than Talbot, and it wasn't close, in the first half of the year). 

He'll work his butt of this summer for sure - I just hope it pays for him because we need him at his first 20 games for us all year if we want to contend for a playoff spot. 

No matter how we look at it, we have a big problem in net because of the Koskinen contract. I have never heard anyone able to make sense of this deal. What was Chia-pet thinking when he handed out that contract? It seems like something someone would do after they found out they were no longer going to be employed.

If Holland can pull a rabbit out of his hat to fix our goaltending problems he will seem like a miracle worker. 

Everybody.  Recently there was a video posted here that contained content that goes against this forums rules and regulations.  Please remember that the rules of this forum extend to everything you quote, link, and post. 

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

Seems that Holland has no choice but to ASSUME that Kosk is a sub-par goalie (i.e. below 0.92) and that getting a backup with a higher ceiling is critical.   We need another year for the goalies in the minors to develop before they can chew off a big chunk of the 82 games. 

In this situation, you need to improve the defence and get an honest 200 foot game from your forwards.  That can impact the goals-against a lot more.  And if Tippett becomes the coach, we're on our way there.

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

10 hours ago, RapierShot said:

Seems that Holland has no choice but to ASSUME that Kosk is a sub-par goalie (i.e. below 0.92) and that getting a backup with a higher ceiling is critical.   We need another year for the goalies in the minors to develop before they can chew off a big chunk of the 82 games. 

In this situation, you need to improve the defence and get an honest 200 foot game from your forwards.  That can impact the goals-against a lot more.  And if Tippett becomes the coach, we're on our way there.

correct me if im wrong, im pretty sure holland allready came to the assumption koskanen sucks, and said he would be bringing in a veteran which is great and fully agree with. so it may be a 50 /50 deal or the new goalie will probably play more, or kosk migh play a bit more. but at least holand realizes this guy sucks and said he will do something about it.

On 5/23/2019 at 6:34 AM, OilyJetFan said:

Agreed

i get you love this guy , and you do understand my feeling on the guy. but his being on the ice last and whatever dosent say much. he should be working hard, he sucks and still trying to adjust the north american rink size(angles) and the rest of the holes in his game(glove, blocker, ext).

and his attitude at the start of the season on the NHL team practices,  i didnt like, he was putting on airs like he was better and worked harder, and how KHL players practice more(which is true).

But hes never done anything close to this level, we have the best players in the world by far, his 3 or 5 practices a day will not measure up to 1 practice when you are playing with this level of talent.

and yeah if he does stay longer its not impressive it dosent make him likeable that ship has sailed when he gave that 1st interview. and it also doesnt mean hes worth the money hes paid right now.

he just end up looking like lucic, which im sure works hard as well. and also lost weight to get faster, but again if it does not translate into numbers that are worth the value of the paycheck it all means nothing, he can work all night, but at his age its more than likely hes peaked already or we are in it. unfortunately

7 minutes ago, arturo said:

i get you love this guy , and you do understand my feeling on the guy. but his being on the ice last and whatever dosent say much. he should be working hard, he sucks and still trying to adjust the north american rink size(angles) and the rest of the holes in his game(glove, blocker, ext).

and his attitude at the start of the season on the NHL team practices,  i didnt like, he was putting on airs like he was better and worked harder, and how KHL players practice more(which is true).

But hes never done anything close to this level, we have the best players in the world by far, his 3 or 5 practices a day will not measure up to 1 practice when you are playing with this level of talent.

and yeah if he does stay longer its not impressive it dosent make him likeable that ship has sailed when he gave that 1st interview. and it also doesnt mean hes worth the money hes paid right now.

he just end up looking like lucic, which im sure works hard as well. and also lost weight to get faster, but again if it does not translate into numbers that are worth the value of the paycheck it all means nothing, he can work all night, but at his age its more than likely hes peaked already or we are in it. unfortunately

Why do you think I love this guy? Art - we had this discussion - go back to the beginning of this thread when I was screaming at this signing (and not in a good way). But facts are facts, and that's what I deal in. He didn't 'steal' anything here Art - have you seen him play live? I have - 5 times. I've seen him get two shutouts, I've seen him allow the first goal against Vegas then stand on his head and shut the door while he allowed his team to come back (and we won 2 to 1) and trust me, that game, it was ALL VEGAS for the first period and into the second. He didn't steal a darn thing, he was better, much better, than Talbot once he got his opportunity. But I never once said he deserved the first contract he got, never mind the second one. I still think PC knew he was being fired an screwed us over as much as he could before being let go (first with the Manning and Petrovic trades, then that awful signing of Kos just before being canned). If the Oilers had waited, well, Kos would be at worst be a UFA and no way would he get a deal close to what he signed here based on his entire season of work. 

Everything else, believe it or not, I agree with. But my response was to the comment by Oilersfaninca that he was lazy and got his fat contract and wouldn't work hard. He will work hard, that's what he does. How that translates, I have no idea. But being an Oiler fan, and seeing how, like it or not, we are stuck with him, I hope he does well. So shoot me for caring all you want - IDC - my attitude won't change. If we get the first 20 games of Koskinen all season next year, you'll be eating crow big time, just like I DID after my rants on him before the season started. 

Why do you hope beyond hope he does lousy (cause you are) - he is our #1 goalie next year Art - if he does lousy, well, who is the next #1 overall pick next year, cause that's what we'll be talking about (our chances at him anyway). is that what you want?

6 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

Why do you think I love this guy? Art - we had this discussion - go back to the beginning of this thread when I was screaming at this signing (and not in a good way). But facts are facts, and that's what I deal in. He didn't 'steal' anything here Art - have you seen him play live? I have - 5 times. I've seen him get two shutouts, I've seen him allow the first goal against Vegas then stand on his head and shut the door while he allowed his team to come back (and we won 2 to 1) and trust me, that game, it was ALL VEGAS for the first period and into the second. He didn't steal a darn thing, he was better, much better, than Talbot once he got his opportunity. But I never once said he deserved the first contract he got, never mind the second one. I still think PC knew he was being fired an screwed us over as much as he could before being let go (first with the Manning and Petrovic trades, then that awful signing of Kos just before being canned). If the Oilers had waited, well, Kos would be at worst be a UFA and no way would he get a deal close to what he signed here based on his entire season of work. 

Everything else, believe it or not, I agree with. But my response was to the comment by Oilersfaninca that he was lazy and got his fat contract and wouldn't work hard. He will work hard, that's what he does. How that translates, I have no idea. But being an Oiler fan, and seeing how, like it or not, we are stuck with him, I hope he does well. So shoot me for caring all you want - IDC - my attitude won't change. If we get the first 20 games of Koskinen all season next year, you'll be eating crow big time, just like I DID after my rants on him before the season started. 

Why do you hope beyond hope he does lousy (cause you are) - he is our #1 goalie next year Art - if he does lousy, well, who is the next #1 overall pick next year, cause that's what we'll be talking about (our chances at him anyway). is that what you want?

i will agree with ya PC did this deal to screw us because he knew he was getting fired for sure. and i dont now what you think is going to happen next year, but we are not going to playoffs for a while. and yeah i do hope we get the first overall pick. because we are in a rebuild like it or not. play anyone else younger and bring in a veteran to see what starrett can do( much more beneficial for us going into the future). by this time this rebuild is over kosks contract will be done, i just dont like wasting this rebuild time now on this guy, holland acknowledged  he needs a goalie right away, and said hes going after a veteran, so maybe i might get my wish.

if we are gonna lose games, lets lose with something we can develop. and no i dont want kosk mentoring anyone of the young goalies we have

i get he a stop gap, but i dont think he will be for long9 and if we have to waste out buyout on someone it should be him.

all im saying is we stand little to gain by having koskanen in net now, its rebuild, and unless this guy does something that has never been done by  a european goalie from the european style of hockey is is some how domic hasek and martin brodeur put together i dont see a point anymore. but yeah your entitled to give him the first 20, ive just seen enough from him.

So who is the real Kosk?  The guy that displaced Talbot OR the guy that played the 2nd half of the season.  No one knows, including PC at the time of the gifted contract.

Again, this is probably the most baffling contract of the PC era and it could be the most devastating as well.

Time will tell, but I don't see how anyone can give Kosk that contract because he is an unknown quantity.  Crazy. 

On 5/23/2019 at 12:08 PM, oilersfaninca said:

You and I and every other working stiff have a different perspective on life than these coddled athletes.  

How hard would YOU work at your current job if YOUR employer said they are going to pay you for 3 years no matter what you do (and let's not forget Kosk is getting life changing money.).

It's just human nature.  Of course there are exceptions, but in general guys do not improve after a huge contract.  If you are lucky, they maintain. Most of the time they regress.

Let's hope Kosk is the exception since we are stuck with him as the #1 for 3 years.

OK, all that aside; He looked like he had some skills at first. Hoping it comes back, especially his glove hand. Have a good summer. Lot's happening for the Oilers. 

I am skeptical that Koskinen's glove hand will improve significantly at this point and am concerned about that ridiculous contract PC gave him at the end of his reign of terror.

On 5/23/2019 at 12:08 PM, oilersfaninca said:

Man. Sometimes I think we forget what we are talking (typing) about. I would work VERY hard under those circumstances, as I do under my current circumstances. Money changes somethings about life, but not the most important things.

1 hour ago, WHA fan said:

Man. Sometimes I think we forget what we are talking (typing) about. I would work VERY hard under those circumstances, as I do under my current circumstances. Money changes somethings about life, but not the most important things.

Lots of different people out there. Every one of us is going to approach the circumstance in our own way. 

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Just now, Fogolin2 said:

Lots of different people out there. Every one of us is going to approach the circumstance in our own way. 

Can't argue. Just how many would give a limb to play pro sports? (given it would be tough to play pro sports missing a limb, but you know what I mean.)

On 5/24/2019 at 10:15 PM, WHA fan said:

Can't argue. Just how many would give a limb to play pro sports? (given it would be tough to play pro sports missing a limb, but you know what I mean.)

ask kosk, hes missing a glove hand and shoulders.

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2019 at 8:31 AM, Messrules11 said:

The thing is everyone knows where to shoot on him, they’re not going to forget. Unless Koskinen gets quicker with those big heavy arms of his nothing will change, and for a guy in his 30’s I don’t expect him to get any quicker. Holland needs to upgrade here, no question.

100% agree. I have no idea what Chia and company were thinking with that contract. If Koskinen was in his early 20's the gamble might have been better. Trying to retrain a 30 plus year old goalie to switch habit this late in the game is a little too tough.

ODIE7_zps90ycfzl1.PNG

Kosk is horrible in have no faith in the guy whatsoever. Yeah 20s I agree, room to grow and learn. But 30, you can't teach an old Finn new tricks. Especially when he is not from our N.A. hockey system.

• Like 1

Goalies are weird.  No really, they are.  I still can't get over how Dubnyk rose from the hell-that-started-in-edmonton-and continued-to nashville, etc. to become a premier goalie.  That's almost unthinkable. 

So, maybe Kosk does have another gear that he can hit to improve.  Maybe the variables that determine his success are changing or about to change...beats me.  All I'm saying is that nothing would surprise me anymore regarding goalies - even Kosk making a comeback.

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

22 minutes ago, RapierShot said:

Goalies are weird.  No really, they are.  I still can't get over how Dubnyk rose from the hell-that-started-in-edmonton-and continued-to nashville, etc. to become a premier goalie.  That's almost unthinkable. 

So, maybe Kosk does have another gear that he can hit to improve.  Maybe the variables that determine his success are changing or about to change...beats me.  All I'm saying is that nothing would surprise me anymore regarding goalies - even Kosk making a comeback.

I remember Dubnyk in an interview saying something like, through those years, he forgot how to stop the puck (or maybe something more specific), and that I think he met a new goalie coach, or maybe his old one reminded him to change one thing, and bam, the new Dubynk. 

10 hours ago, WHA fan said:

I remember Dubnyk in an interview saying something like, through those years, he forgot how to stop the puck (or maybe something more specific), and that I think he met a new goalie coach, or maybe his old one reminded him to change one thing, and bam, the new Dubynk. 

Going forward. I wouldn't want dubnyk. Great regular season guy. But could never get out of the first round as the number 1 guy. The oilers invested nearly 10 years in the guy from from draft to pro. He's very overrated. Imo.  Reminds me of a poor man dan coutier.

52 minutes ago, Douggyweighter39 said:

Going forward. I wouldn't want dubnyk. Great regular season guy. But could never get out of the first round as the number 1 guy. The oilers invested nearly 10 years in the guy from from draft to pro. He's very overrated. Imo.  Reminds me of a poor man dan coutier.

I agree. And Kos is not Dubnyk so the comparisons mean squat. Kos had good numbers to start the year, that was until the league figured him out. Now it’s shoot high cuz he’s guaranteed to go down. We haven’t had a good goalie since Roloson, Talbot had one exceptional year, it’s not a coincidence that those were the years we made the playoffs. If Kos is our starter for the duration of his contract we’re screwed, stick a fork in, we’re done, not making the playoffs with this guy. What a hideous signing this was.

4 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

I agree. And Kos is not Dubnyk so the comparisons mean squat. Kos had good numbers to start the year, that was until the league figured him out. Now it’s shoot high cuz he’s guaranteed to go down. We haven’t had a good goalie since Roloson, Talbot had one exceptional year, it’s not a coincidence that those were the years we made the playoffs. If Kos is our starter for the duration of his contract we’re screwed, stick a fork in, we’re done, not making the playoffs with this guy. What a hideous signing this was.

Yep I agree. No playoffs until we can have a reliable number 1 or 2 guys that can do a Andy moog and grant fuhr style tandem.

Edited by Douggyweighter39

8 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

This signing was so bad that there is no reasonable excuse for why it was made. When you look at the timing and the lack of a responsible reason, at the very least it throws up some red flags if not out and out conspiracy to sabotage.

As you can see, I'm not a big fan of Chiarelli. It %#@!!$ pi$$es me off just thinking about it, as if he didn't screw us up bad enough before that!