The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
arturo

SALARY CAP, 11 million to play with. SOMEONE is GOING

DRAI           MCDAVID      KASS

LUCIC         NUGE          CHAISS(UFA)

GAMB(RFA)  CAVE           GAGS

JUJAR(RFA) BROADZ     CURRIE                           WONT BE BACK.. rattie, reider, malone, and on D gravel.

puljarvi???

so we have 11 million(rough estimate 83 million total cap) to sign chaisson, gambardella, add a 12th and13th forward, a 6-7 d man, and a back up goalie,  i dont see the oilers keeping broadz, cave, and currie all together seeing how we want to improve. but do we really have a choice?

sign 2nd line RW chaisson 3 ,million (at least) that leaves 7 million

sign Jujar 4th line LW   1.3 million(has to be more than broadz) leaves 5.7 million

Gambardella  LW4th/13th forward  800k. leaves 4.9 million left

so with 4.9 million left that leaves enough money for a back up goalie and a 7th defense man.

the oiler want to improve and i dont see how an improvement is mad with under 5 million and thats a tight 5 million that has to sign a back up and a 7th d man. lets estimate that we get a back up for 2 million and a 7th d man for 1 million . thats 3 million and leaves us with just 2 million, thats pretty much cushion room for the entire season if things happen.

in reality looking at the line up jesse will want a raise from his 925k. to probably 2 million at least. i dont see him staying. we dont have any room for him, and he just dosent fit anymore. even if we did want to keep him we would have to ship out a big contract lucic, sekera, kosk, nurse or klef, russel, ect.

The reality looks like we will have pretty much the same problems(close to the same team) or big moves are coming and i dont see how we make room without. packaging lucic  with a draft pick a prospect out somewhere to make room.

Why are you penciling Lucic onto the second line?  He currently plays on the 3rd and 4th lines.  Are you expecting a "bounce back" for him for next season?

I agree with your final conclusion ... next season looks to be a rinse/repeat of this year and last year, with a lot of pressure and hope that something from the AHL finally pans out .... or forcing our first rounder from this year into the lineup again.

If we start with any combination of 3 of Gagner/Lucic/Chaisson/Kassian in the top six for next season, we are a lottery team.  Even two of them in the top 6 would be too many.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Just so you know , the Oilers have 9 forwards under contract for next year from the current roster including Cave & Currie for $40.6M . 6 Dmen for $22.9M & 1 goalie $4.5M .

For a total of roughly $68M . If the cap goes up to $83M that leaves them with roughly $15M to play with .

I can see them qualifying Puljujarvi & Khaira & maybe signing Chaisson for another season for $2M .

Also they want to shed as much salary cap as possible . So trying to move one of Lucic , Russell or Sekera would be splendid . But they have NMC,s .

Here are the 9 forwards (McDavid , Draisaitl , Nuge , Lucic , Kassian , Gagner , Cave , Brodziak & Currie)

Here are the 6 Dmen ( Klefbom , Larsson , Sekera , Nurse , Russell & Benning)

And last but not least Koskinen . 

Just to shed some light on things .

Edited by billpayor

21 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

Why are you penciling Lucic onto the second line?  He currently plays on the 3rd and 4th lines.  Are you expecting a "bounce back" for him for next season?

I agree with your final conclusion ... next season looks to be a rinse/repeat of this year and last year, with a lot of pressure and hope that something from the AHL finally pans out .... or forcing our first rounder from this year into the lineup again.

If we start with any combination of 3 of Gagner/Lucic/Chaisson/Kassian in the top six for next season, we are a lottery team.  Even two of them in the top 6 would be too many.

just putting him wherever, if i were to pencil him anywhere it would be in the pressbox, lol

8 minutes ago, billpayor said:

Just so you know , the Oilers have 9 forwards under contract for next year from the current roster including Cave & Currie for $40.6M . 6 Dmen for $22.9M & 1 goalie $4.5M .

For a total of roughly $68M . If the cap goes up to $83M that leaves them with roughly $15M to play with .

I can see them qualifying Puljujarvi & Khaira & maybe signing Chaisson for another season for $2M .

Also they want to shed as much salary cap as possible . So trying to move one of Lucic , Russell or Sekera would be splendid . But they have NMC,s .

Here are the 9 forwards (McDavid , Draisaitl , Nuge , Lucic , Kassian , Gagner , Cave , Brodziak & Currie)

Here are the 6 Dmen ( Klefbom , Larsson , Sekera , Nurse , Russell & Benning)

And last but not least Koskinen . 

Just to shed some light on things .

yeah all that is a given, our D are set as is, and we are actually $71,724,499 all ready committed to next season. and chaisson does not sign for 2 million, wishful thinking and would be nice. but what im concluding is that those NMC are going to be broken.

and its still 11 million to play with look it up on cap-friendly

Edited by arturo

thanks for reiterating what i said, point is its either a fairly drastic move or we are pretty much having the same team problems as this year.

7 minutes ago, arturo said:

just putting him wherever, if i were to pencil him anywhere it would be in the pressbox, lol

Why would you sign Khaira? Isn’t the object to get better? What did he do this year? Did anyone notice him missing from the lineup and say geez I wish Khaira was playing tonight? Nope

3 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Why would you sign Khaira? Isn’t the object to get better? What did he do this year? Did anyone notice him missing from the lineup and say geez I wish Khaira was playing tonight? Nope

to me it looks like the oilers will resign him because hes an RFA, personally, im with you, i would let him walk and give it to a developing player or guy coming up. i was pretty shocked by his play this year as well.

oilers really need to pick up brandon pirri if hes still on the cheap

Edited by arturo

6 minutes ago, arturo said:

to me it looks like the oilers will resign him because hes an RFA, personally, im with you, i would let him walk and give it to a developing player or guy coming up. i was pretty shocked by his play this year as well.

oilers really need to pick up brandon pirri if hes still on the cheap

Agreed. If we can’t improve on Khaira then there’s a serious problem. His contract is up and it’s time he moved on

37 minutes ago, arturo said:

yeah all that is a given, our D are set as is, and we are actually $71,724,499 all ready committed to next season. and chaisson does not sign for 2 million, wishful thinking and would be nice. but what im concluding is that those NMC are going to be broken.

and its still 11 million to play with look it up on cap-friendly

Yeah I forgot the buyouts . If Chaisson doesn't sign for $2M or less he gets to test free agency . Maybe the Oilers could do better .

The thing about the NMC for Russell & Sekera they become modified for next year . They can submit a list of teams they would want to be traded to .  All this is old news . Lucic they are stuck with for another two years then his modified NTC kicks in , unless he waives his NMC .

It's going to be an interesting off season . As usual .

Edited by billpayor

Is it fair to say... most Oiler fans have dealt with this crap for awhile?

NHL is a tough league. imo Katz is the biggest problem... Anyone who thinks he doesnt call the shots is literally drinking the koolaid. 

56 minutes ago, threetimes said:

Is it fair to say... most Oiler fans have dealt with this crap for awhile?

NHL is a tough league. imo Katz is the biggest problem... Anyone who thinks he doesnt call the shots is literally drinking the koolaid. 

Well he is the owner isn't he ?

15 hours ago, billpayor said:

Yeah I forgot the buyouts . If Chaisson doesn't sign for $2M or less he gets to test free agency . Maybe the Oilers could do better .

The thing about the NMC for Russell & Sekera they become modified for next year . They can submit a list of teams they would want to be traded to .  All this is old news . Lucic they are stuck with for another two years then his modified NTC kicks in , unless he waives his NMC .

It's going to be an interesting off season . As usual .

do better than chaisson? HOW?  we dont have cap space , hes a depth scorer. if we let him walk its pointless, we might as well do what the sens do and keep drafting and letting players walk on. chaisson stays, he already said he likes it in edmonton, which is really rare to find guys that want to play here and are happy. he will sign for 3 million and its pretty fair, given hes a 20 plus goal scorer 36 points. we need to add more guys like him but cheaper, but hes earned his 3 million.

honestly i see a guy like brandon pirri and he makes sense as well to go after, if we can waste 2 mil on reider we can take a chance on pirri for the same. even bring back maroon maybe, hes at that 2 million mark that can put up goals. st louis dosent want him.

and really until we actually can make room, all we can do is go after these types of player. (big if we can even make room).

yeah all the NMC's are old news, but i think the oilers will give one of these guys an ultimatum to waive the NMC or do what the leafs did with Lupul and sit him out the rest of his career.

the oilers literally are all out of moves, all thats left is making cap space by any means with guys who don't contribute.

oilers got lucky with chaisson, i dont see the oilers finding 3-4 more of him and paying league Minimum.

i am predicting we have seen the last of either lucic, puljarvi, sekera, or russel,. i dont see how we really have any choice by to move a guy along with picks and prospects.

17 minutes ago, arturo said:

do better than chaisson? HOW?  we dont have cap space , hes a depth scorer. if we let him walk its pointless, we might as well do what the sens do and keep drafting and letting players walk on. chaisson stays, he already said he likes it in edmonton, which is really rare to find guys that want to play here and are happy. he will sign for 3 million and its pretty fair, given hes a 20 plus goal scorer 36 points. we need to add more guys like him but cheaper, but hes earned his 3 million.

honestly i see a guy like brandon pirri and he makes sense as well to go after, if we can waste 2 mil on reider we can take a chance on pirri for the same. even bring back maroon maybe, hes at that 2 million mark that can put up goals. st louis dosent want him.

and really until we actually can make room, all we can do is go after these types of player. (big if we can even make room).

yeah all the NMC's are old news, but i think the oilers will give one of these guys an ultimatum to waive the NMC or do what the leafs did with Lupul and sit him out the rest of his career.

the oilers literally are all out of moves, all thats left is making cap space by any means with guys who don't contribute.

oilers got lucky with chaisson, i dont see the oilers finding 3-4 more of him and paying league Minimum.

i am predicting we have seen the last of either lucic, puljarvi, sekera, or russel,. i dont see how we really have any choice by to move a guy along with picks and prospects.

I would hope they can do better than Chaisson , he's a bottom six forward who has scored 20 goals for the very first time in his career . Exactly they don't have the cap space to give him any more than $2M , preferably less . Another show me contract for another year ,  or he can test free agency . They can save money by not signing Chaisson to a ridiculous contract and use that money to sign a better player . Does that make sense ?

Yeah you're right they have to move some salary out there's no other way . Because they need better players than Alex Chaisson 

7 hours ago, arturo said:

"Do better than Chiasson"?  How?

Chiasson over a 7 year career has averaged 29 pts (not goals) just points per season.

I just picked three wingers at random who this season so far have 29 points and their average salary is $1.3m:

That was Brandon Tanev of Winnipeg, Evan Rodrigues of Buffalo, and Connor Brown of Toronto. 

Not a broad enough sample perhaps for some, but good enough for me to challenge your assertion that for just one reasonably good season (and that is all it is if we are being honest) to consider paying Chiasson over 2m is once more an over pay, and we have seen enough of those to last a lifetime, thank you very much.

To pay Chiasson 3m would be ridiculous...…….almost on a par with the Koskinen contract.

If I was GM I would be offering Mr Chiasson somewhere in the vicinity of $1.5m, and if he doesn't like it, or can get more elsewhere, lets take our chances on one of either Yammo, Benson or JP or A. N. Other. 

Edited by Blackhawk216

23 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

Agreed. If we can’t improve on Khaira then there’s a serious problem. His contract is up and it’s time he moved on

Geez Mess you and I will never agree on JJK but I guess we'll have to wait until next season. By the way how's the little one?

33 minutes ago, pillotte said:

Geez Mess you and I will never agree on JJK but I guess we'll have to wait until next season. By the way how's the little one?

If your fine with 3 goals despite all the the top 6 minutes he was clearly gifted then no, we’ll never agree on him... the little one??

4 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

If your fine with 3 goals despite all the the top 6 minutes he was clearly gifted then no, we’ll never agree on him... the little one??

Yah know, your little one lol. 

Just now, Messrules11 said:

That’s not what she said 

Was she really drunk? Lol

small hands?

Edited by Sharptooth1

2 minutes ago, Sharptooth1 said:

Was she really drunk? Lol

small hands?

Sharptooth? not just a nickname I’m guessing 

Just now, Messrules11 said:

Sharptooth? not just a nickname I’m guessing 

Lol just grinding your gears. 

1 minute ago, Sharptooth1 said:

Lol just grinding your gears. 

I know, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander

23 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

Thought you had a baby a while ago

On 4/3/2019 at 8:23 AM, billpayor said:

I would hope they can do better than Chaisson , he's a bottom six forward who has scored 20 goals for the very first time in his career . Exactly they don't have the cap space to give him any more than $2M , preferably less . Another show me contract for another year ,  or he can test free agency . They can save money by not signing Chaisson to a ridiculous contract and use that money to sign a better player . Does that make sense ?

Yeah you're right they have to move some salary out there's no other way . Because they need better players than Alex Chaisson 

On 4/3/2019 at 9:34 AM, Blackhawk216 said:

"Do better than Chiasson"?  How?

Chiasson over a 7 year career has averaged 29 pts (not goals) just points per season.

I just picked three wingers at random who this season so far have 29 points and their average salary is $1.3m:

That was Brandon Tanev of Winnipeg, Evan Rodrigues of Buffalo, and Connor Brown of Toronto. 

Not a broad enough sample perhaps for some, but good enough for me to challenge your assertion that for just one reasonably good season (and that is all it is if we are being honest) to consider paying Chiasson over 2m is once more an over pay, and we have seen enough of those to last a lifetime, thank you very much.

To pay Chiasson 3m would be ridiculous...…….almost on a par with the Koskinen contract.

If I was GM I would be offering Mr Chiasson somewhere in the vicinity of $1.5m, and if he doesn't like it, or can get more elsewhere, lets take our chances on one of either Yammo, Benson or JP or A. N. Other. 

no 1.5 is way too little in this NHL. for a guy who scored 20, and no is saying giving him long term or put him in top 2 lines, hes a depth guy that can move into the top 2 incase guys get injured. hes a 2.5-3 million million dollar player per year. longest term i would go is 1-2 years, at no more than 2.6 million, if you compare him to drake, chaisson is better drake gets 1.5 before he left simliar guy , but again chaisson is better, so i.5 does not factor in, nor does a long term, you are right its 1 year, so give him. a 1-2 year.

secondly, like i said earlier, yeah we dont have space but still chaisson is a good 3 line winger and, no we wont find one better that we already knows works, without giving up more, so it just makes sense to resign him. hes a guy that want to stay and plays well.

and 3. million is not on par with koskanens horrendous 4.5 million per for 3 years NMC, that lucic status.

sorry but dont agree with either of ya. you guys are also not factoring in we have no depth scoring at all outside of the top 2 lines, hes the only guy who scores right now.

1-2 year deal see if he does 20 goals again i would do a 2.6 miilion would be fair. 3 million would be an slight 400k overpay but if we put in the desal he has to his 35 points and 20 goals each season for the extra 400k, that would be fine with me. ( i remember glenn sather doing this with mike comrie, and comrie almost missing his bonus) we need to go back to those contracts with depth guys.

and thats what chaisson is, a depth guy that can set up to top 2 lines if an injury occurs.

We will have the #6 or #7 pick and may have lady lucky and move down some spots with the lottery.

This should get us a good player. If you make the right pick. Moving forward make the right picks. We will also have low 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc round picks also. We are picking ahead of 3/4 of the league. Time for change, make the right picks.

19 hours ago, arturo said:

no 1.5 is way too little in this NHL. for a guy who scored 20, and no is saying giving him long term or put him in top 2 lines, hes a depth guy that can move into the top 2 incase guys get injured. hes a 2.5-3 million million dollar player per year. longest term i would go is 1-2 years, at no more than 2.6 million, if you compare him to drake, chaisson is better drake gets 1.5 before he left simliar guy , but again chaisson is better, so i.5 does not factor in, nor does a long term, you are right its 1 year, so give him. a 1-2 year.

secondly, like i said earlier, yeah we dont have space but still chaisson is a good 3 line winger and, no we wont find one better that we already knows works, without giving up more, so it just makes sense to resign him. hes a guy that want to stay and plays well.

and 3. million is not on par with koskanens horrendous 4.5 million per for 3 years NMC, that lucic status.

sorry but dont agree with either of ya. you guys are also not factoring in we have no depth scoring at all outside of the top 2 lines, hes the only guy who scores right now.

1-2 year deal see if he does 20 goals again i would do a 2.6 miilion would be fair. 3 million would be an slight 400k overpay but if we put in the desal he has to his 35 points and 20 goals each season for the extra 400k, that would be fine with me. ( i remember glenn sather doing this with mike comrie, and comrie almost missing his bonus) we need to go back to those contracts with depth guys.

and thats what chaisson is, a depth guy that can set up to top 2 lines if an injury occurs.

So you have just completely ignored the three examples of players who this season have similar points to what Chiasson has over HIS ENTIRE CAREER?

One of the reasons we have got ourselves into this cap problem is because we have paid players based on a short sample size (Koskinen) or simply because of bad judgement (Russel/Lucic as examples).

Alex Chiasson I like as a player, but he has had one outstanding season (for him), and it should be  his whole body of work that dictates his salary, not just one "outstanding season".   The sample size is too short, and the Oilers need to elevate their judgement to a higher level if we are going to get our cap issues under control.

Why are you so keen to spend over the odds? Based on this seasons performances the Oilers are currently doing that (paying over the odds) with Lucic, Russel, Benning (although some recent improvement in his game), Koskinen, Reider, Sekera (injuries clearly played a part), and that is without taking into account the likes of Manning and Petrovich.

I think Chiasson would be OK as a 3rd line/emergency 2nd line/Power Play player.  That to me is not worth $2.5-$3m per year.  I also like Gagner, but the only reason we are paying him I think $3.1m was because it was preferable (very preferable) to paying similar for Spooner.

We are only going to get out of this mess by the following:

1) We need to trade better.

2) We need to draft better.

3) We need to negotiate contracts better. 

Edited by Blackhawk216

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:28 PM, arturo said:

I guess the point is the Oilers need to improve the talent level with their top three centers . Chaisson has proven to be a good fit on this team , he's well liked in the room , he competes and he is an experienced vet . But he is best suited in a bottom six role and should be paid as such . He's going to have to prove himself all over again and there's no guarantee he can duplicate this season's result , especially if he isn't playing on the top two lines with Connor or Leon or Nuge who need better talent to play with on a regular basis .

Chaisson settled into who he really is as a player as the year progressed. He score 5 goals over the last 52 games of the season. He said it himself it's a lot harder to score once other teams realize you are the guy. He will not score 20 again and no one will pay him $2.5-3 million (unless we are dumb enough to) to see if he can so if that's what he is after let him test the waters. He is a decent 3rd or 4th line player that is all.