The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
gto199

Who should the Oilers draft in 2019?

As per Craig Button's Craig’s List, right winger Cole Caufield is a high level goal scorer.  Craig has him ranked at #10.  He has played with McDavid in the OHL.  He seems to be a pure goal scorer with 3 consecutive 50 goal seasons.  Oilers def. need secondary scoring.

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-hughes-leads-class-heavy-on-american-talent-1.1279391

https://www.nhl.com/news/cole-caufield-stands-tall-ahead-of-2019-nhl-draft/c-302637026

Nobody, trade it to get someone NHL ready

Everyone said Puljujarvi was a STEAL...wrong

The Yamamoto was the STEAL of the first round....wrong

And let's not go back further

Just trade it and be done with it

1 hour ago, mikestaj said:

Nobody, trade it to get someone NHL ready

Everyone said Puljujarvi was a STEAL...wrong

The Yamamoto was the STEAL of the first round....wrong

And let's not go back further

Just trade it and be done with it

If the finance can allow for it, I agree, as we need to build a team to benefit from (or even hope to keep) Connor and Leon asap.   By the time a first round pick this year (especially an Oilers pick) can develop to be a force at NHL level, we could be coming to the end of both Connor's and Leon's contracts.   It isn't as though we have a record of good picks at the draft is it?

I have just had a quick look at our last 18 first round picks, and putting Bouchard to one side, of the other 17 for me, we only have had real value out of 9 of them, so we are batting at roughly 500, and most of the ones that we have had some positive results with are fairly high picks such as McDavid, Leon, Hall, Nurse, RNH and lets throw in Sam Gagner.

Some have been complete duds for us (not necessarily blaming the monkey, just the organ grinder in most cases): Yakupov (OK I will blame that monkey,), Paajarvi,  Plante, Schremp, Dubnyk, and currently the jury is still out on JP and Yammo (at least I think the jury is still out on those two).

The ideal situation if at all possible would be to throw in a contract (Lucic with some money held back would be great) with our first round pick, and that way we could afford a decent return.  If not Lucic, possibly Sekera or Russel or Larsson even.   For my money, Larsson's game deteriorated this season to such an extent that I think if we are going to discard at least one current defender, it might as well be him.

All this may seem drastic, but these are drastic times, no good sitting on our hands waiting for something to happen, we have to make it happen.  Unless your first name is Connor or Leon, any player (or pick) is fair game as far as I am concerned. 

3 minutes ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Edited by Blackhawk216

For me it depends where we end up picking but I would try to trade down by shedding some plugs and their ridiculous contracts and go after Kirby Dach!!!!  

But, we will probably trade our 8th overall and our 2nd rounder for Marincin and a 5th rounder.

Personally I would gladly trade our first pick if we could get rid of one of the crappy contracts and get an nhl ready player. 

11 hours ago, Sharptooth1 said:

Personally I would gladly trade our first pick if we could get rid of one of the crappy contracts and get an nhl ready player. 

So for the most part the general thought appears that to state the obvious, we need help NOW, not in 3 or 4 years.   Just common sense isn't it?    Assuming of course that we don't end up with maybe a high pick for a player who is NHL ready.   Not sure how high we could draft in the lottery.

I had this posted elsewhere, but it is a better fit here.

Edmonton is currently sitting at 25th place in the league.

The lowest that they can finish is 26th, so pre-lottery they would be drafting in the # 6 spot.

Assuming that Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko have already been selected, who would be your choice for the Oiler's first draft choice?

Vasili Podkolzin (RW), Bowen Byram (LD), Kirby Dach (C), Alex Turcotte (C), Dylan Cozens (C/RW), Peyton Krebs (C/LW), Trevor Zegras (C), Matthew Boldy (C/RW), Philip Broberg (LD)?

My favourite options would be:

Podkolzin = fast, great work ethic, aggressive, good 200 foot game. His lone weakness is strength which could be easily fixed as he finishes growing. 

Byram = skating, passing, two way play, heavy shot, PP quarterback. He is occasionally caught out of position, but that's to be expected with a young defense-man.

Cozens = a big man who can skate, shoot, and pass. He has no major drawbacks.

I am an Alberta fan, which in my case means I follow Calgary & Edmonton.

No hate here, I hope that they both do well.

23 hours ago, Sharptooth1 said:

We're not getting anything for our garbage contracts

Oilers 1st + Lucic 

for 

Predators 1st

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

1 minute ago, Fogolin2 said:

We're not getting anything for our garbage contracts

Oilers 1st + Lucic 

for 

Predators 1st

Take it, add the pick to another contract we don't want or if necessary with a defender (perhaps Russel, Sekera,or Larsson) and get a scoring forward in, and that still leaves us with whatever cash we have to spend from dumping Lucic on a second scoring forward, now we are getting somewhere.

That would leave us with a top six forward set up of McD, Drai, RNH, + two new scoring forwards, and maybe one of Benson, or JP, or Yammo or there might be a free agent looking to play with McD and Drai that we could afford?

Easy this GM's job, nothing to it.😎

We gotta try and get Broberg boyz. He's easily the best defense man in the draft and will be a very good NHL defenseman. If we can't get Broberg I'd try to get Dach. I like Dach's size and total package of skills.  Even at #1 overall I would take Broberg. Here's my top 5. Broberg, Podkolzin, Hughes, Kakko, Dach,  Broberg=Hedman, Podkolzin=Malkin, Hughes=Gaudreau, Kakko=a slower Kucherov,  Dach=Getzlaff- if he beefs up a bit and stays healthy. I don't see this draft as being a great draft. Too many-too small players. My "sure thing" bet this draft is Broberg though.

Edited by hemskyslickstar

Trading the pick is an option that can't be ignored if the right opportunity comes along . That would be in the new GM's hands .                       

If Keith Gretzky gets the GM job  , I could see him keeping the pick because that is his area of expertise . 

But I like Peyton Krebs or Dylan Cozens .

Edited by billpayor

1 hour ago, billpayor said:

Trading the pick is an option that can't be ignored if the right opportunity comes along . That would be in the new GM's hands .                       

If Keith Gretzky gets the GM job  , I could see him keeping the pick because that is his area of expertise . 

But I like Peyton Krebs or Dylan Cozens .

I can also see him trading it probably making a package with another player that we can afford to lose for immediate help.

To me, it is a no brainer...…...we need help and we need it now, not in 3 to 4 years or perhaps if similar to JP never at all, and to make in incoming trade viable financially we will have to send something back the other way along with the pick.

If we were picking Hughes or Kaka maybe then we keep the pick, but we aren't.

Yeah, I don't want to be the guy that tells McD..."well we're focused on getting better in 3 years or so....".   Any smart trade ideas that could include the draft pick should be the priority.

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

24 minutes ago, SuperDave17 said:

Caufield is on fire. Should he be on our radar at #8?

I saw that too. Definitely on my radar now

2 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

I saw that too. Definitely on my radar now

Not in the 1st round in my thoughts. The guy is 5'7".  If he does not pan out as a scoring machine he is useless anywhere else. At least a guy the size of JP can be a 3-4 liner, not a guy like Yam, not if you want a playoff tough bottom half.

Edited by Yuke

2 hours ago, Yuke said:

Not in the 1st round in my thoughts. The guy is 5'7".  If he does not pan out as a scoring machine he is useless anywhere else. At least a guy the size of JP can be a 3-4 liner, not a guy like Yam, not if you want a playoff tough bottom half.

It is okay the OBC Oilers do not need playoff tough....playoffs are elusive as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for this bunch. Yes history proves this to be fact.

Scouting reports say there's more to his game than his shot, and he plays strong for his size:

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/04/15/cole-caufield-scouting-report/

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2019/3/22/18271218/dont-make-the-mistake-of-passing-on-cole-caufield-nhl-draft-scouting-report

https://pucksofafeather.com/2019/02/24/anaheim-ducks-2019-draft-cole-caufield/

Sure, there's the size thing. But we're dying for a winger who can bury Connor's or Drai's or Nuge's feeds.

I honestly haven't followed junior hockey at all, so I have no idea which players are good beyond the top 2. I say go with the best player available whoever that happens to be. The important thing is to let them develop, rather than tossing them straight into the NHL unprepared.

We need to draft more goal scorers & of-course D-men.  Our cupboards are empty for forwards that can score.  This season, none of the call ups have been able to score.  Yam & JP are still unknowns.  We need secondary scoring, not just right now, but for long term.  The biggest issue we had this season was not getting secondary scoring.

There may be offers to trade the our draft pick for a NHL player, but the issue to clear cap space needs to be addressed first.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:16 PM, Yuke said:

I understand the size issue but that's why no one was interested in Alex DeBrincat - he's tiny. Remember, here you gotta rely on the scouts. Sometimes a smaller players game can translate, and sometimes it can't. I don't think Yam's game can translate, but at 22 he was worth the gamble. DeBrincat should have been a first round pick but because of his size he slipped into the second round. I've never seen this guy play so I'll digress to the pro's in scouting. If he's still there at 8 and we pick him, I'm sure they feel it's worth the risk. I never read articles about Yamm like this and his number bear that out. He was a gamble at 22 and I bet would have slipped to the second round if we didn't take him. 

On 4/10/2019 at 12:03 PM, Blackhawk216 said:

I can also see him trading it probably making a package with another player that we can afford to lose for immediate help.

To me, it is a no brainer...…...we need help and we need it now, not in 3 to 4 years or perhaps if similar to JP never at all, and to make in incoming trade viable financially we will have to send something back the other way along with the pick.

If we were picking Hughes or Kaka maybe then we keep the pick, but we aren't.

Only issue BH is MONEY remember. I know you're speaking about adding a contract to trade the #8 pick but would you do it? Would you accept a terrible contract along with a #8 pick for a top 6 NHL winger? I wouldn't.  Even if my team was rebuilding and I needed draft picks, I would not feel the need to have to help out another team like that. Not for a #8 pick any. Now, if that pick was #3 or #4 or even #5, I'd do it given this draft class, but if that #8 pick is Caufield (as in he's the BPA at that point) how will that help a 'rebulding' team if they don't have any players to put with him? 

We could easily trade that #8 pick and a decent contract for a top 6 winger I'm sure - maybe an Adam Larsson. But it certainly won't be Lucic, Russell, or Sekera. 

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

I understand the size issue but that's why no one was interested in Alex DeBrincat - he's tiny. Remember, here you gotta rely on the scouts. Sometimes a smaller players game can translate, and sometimes it can't. I don't think Yam's game can translate, but at 22 he was worth the gamble. DeBrincat should have been a first round pick but because of his size he slipped into the second round. I've never seen this guy play so I'll digress to the pro's in scouting. If he's still there at 8 and we pick him, I'm sure they feel it's worth the risk. I never read articles about Yamm like this and his number bear that out. He was a gamble at 22 and I bet would have slipped to the second round if we didn't take him. 

Only issue BH is MONEY remember. I know you're speaking about adding a contract to trade the #8 pick but would you do it? Would you accept a terrible contract along with a #8 pick for a top 6 NHL winger? I wouldn't.  Even if my team was rebuilding and I needed draft picks, I would not feel the need to have to help out another team like that. Not for a #8 pick any. Now, if that pick was #3 or #4 or even #5, I'd do it given this draft class, but if that #8 pick is Caufield (as in he's the BPA at that point) how will that help a 'rebulding' team if they don't have any players to put with him? 

We could easily trade that #8 pick and a decent contract for a top 6 winger I'm sure - maybe an Adam Larsson. But it certainly won't be Lucic, Russell, or Sekera. 

The way Larsson has played this past season to be honest, I don't think we would miss him that much.   That would still leave us with Klef, Sek, Russell, Benning, Nurse and a trio (at least a trio) of up and coming defenders from either Bakersfield or the guy from Sweden, or whatever country in Europe.   Maybe even re-sign Gravel as 7th/8th defence.

There are always other options like 8th, maybe Benning and one of our prospects.   We have to get scoring from somewhere, and like I keep saying, to get something good we are likely going to have to give up something good and if it takes a pick and two Oiler players to obtain some scoring, so be it.   The most important thing for the new GM is to make sure that McD, Drai and RNH are not surrounded by donkeys next season.  

5 minutes ago, Blackhawk216 said:

The way Larsson has played this past season to be honest, I don't think we would miss him that much.   That would still leave us with Klef, Sek, Russell, Benning, Nurse and a trio (at least a trio) of up and coming defenders from either Bakersfield or the guy from Sweden, or whatever country in Europe.   Maybe even re-sign Gravel as 7th/8th defence.

There are always other options like 8th, maybe Benning and one of our prospects.   We have to get scoring from somewhere, and like I keep saying, to get something good we are likely going to have to give up something good and if it takes a pick and two Oiler players to obtain some scoring, so be it.   The most important thing for the new GM is to make sure that McD, Drai and RNH are not surrounded by donkeys next season.  

Better think about your who would be pur top RHD before tossing Larsson out.

Ps. He did not have a good 18/19 year but he is our best on that side.

Edited by Yuke

I don’t think we’re trading the pick. Caufield had 14 goals tying Ovechkin’s record at the U18, passing on him for his size would be a huge mistake. If he’s still there at 8 I’d take him.

5 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

I don’t think we’re trading the pick. Caufield had 14 goals tying Ovechkin’s record at the U18, passing on him for his size would be a huge mistake. If he’s still there at 8 I’d take him.

I would tend to agree on that. As I mentioned, he is small, but he can put the puck in the net consistently. He could be a perfect fit for McDavid. And though I get the debate on getting players 'now' well, they way I see it we have Leon for 6 more years, Connor for 7, we don't need to win the cup 'next year' we just need to improve steadily. Getting a late twenty year old winger now who won't be worth squat in 4 years when we should be winning a cup while watching this Caufield kid score 40 goals + for another team would be a travesty. It's how we got into this mess to begin with.