The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
gto199

Who should the Oilers draft in 2019?

21 hours ago, Yuke said:

Better think about your who would be pur top RHD before tossing Larsson out.

Ps. He did not have a good 18/19 year but he is our best on that side.

Theoretically I agree, he is potentially our best on that side, but we didn't see much of it last season, or was I not watching closely enough?  Almost zero offence from him, and many positional and decision making errors is what I saw combined with a few dumb penalties that the team could have well done without.  If he is our best, and I am not saying he isn't, then it just illustrates further our problems at both ends of the ice.

However, I come back to the point that to get something good, we will have to give up something good...……..the other option is to just see next season out as a write off already and focus on the following season, which maybe the plan...……...BN does have a plan, doesn't he? 😎 

Edited by Blackhawk216

23 hours ago, Blackhawk216 said:

The way Larsson has played this past season to be honest, I don't think we would miss him that much.   That would still leave us with Klef, Sek, Russell, Benning, Nurse and a trio (at least a trio) of up and coming defenders from either Bakersfield or the guy from Sweden, or whatever country in Europe.   Maybe even re-sign Gravel as 7th/8th defence.

There are always other options like 8th, maybe Benning and one of our prospects.   We have to get scoring from somewhere, and like I keep saying, to get something good we are likely going to have to give up something good and if it takes a pick and two Oiler players to obtain some scoring, so be it.   The most important thing for the new GM is to make sure that McD, Drai and RNH are not surrounded by donkeys next season.  

Larsson cost us Hall though. If you do trade him, you need to find someone better to replace him with. And that ain't Bouchard btw, not next season, nor the season after. Bouchard will hopefully be better one day, but not the next couple of years. 

I agree with Yuke (I think it was him) who said that even though he had a bad year he's still a top 4 dman. They don't grow on trees and to trade him PLUS our #8 pick without someone coming in to fill that void would be a mistake. 

But that's why we're fans, and why it's probably taking so long to find a new GM lol - we are a tire fire and will be for the next few years. Our only hope is two of Yamamoto, Puljuarvi, and Benson can become legit top 6 wingers over the next season or two. Trading for one - you know we won't get value. Maybe if we end up with McCrimmon as GM he can unearth the next William Karlsson for us at a discounted price. 

Well, this thread should start gaining traction as the draft begins to near. According to Burke, Holland has does extensive research on this draft so I'll guess he will not be trading our 8th overall pick. From my understanding Ken did well for the Wings last year in picking up Zadina and Veleno and has done well in the past at drafts. Let's hope he (and the scouting team) can bring in some decent prospects here too. With Holland's insistence on not rushing prospects and with the current batch of prospects we have on the farm atm it's looking like Bakersfield will be in good shape for years ahead... Great news for the Condors and Oilers especially if some of these players start to translate their game to the big league in proper time.

As for this draft I have to do my homework. I haven't been paying attention to the prospect pool and am outta the loop.

image.png

Just watching Button on his Canadian team mock draft. He's got us taking Trevor Zegras C-LW from the USA program

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

On 5/9/2019 at 5:27 PM, Fogolin2 said:

Just watching Button on his Canadian team mock draft. He's got us taking Trevor Zegras C-LW from the USA program

If the plan is to trade RNH, then I would get this pick. I think we take a scoring winger like Caufield though if he's still there. Not that he'll help next year but neither will Zegras anyway. 

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

If the plan is to trade RNH, then I would get this pick. I think we take a scoring winger like Caufield though if he's still there. Not that he'll help next year but neither will Zegras anyway. 

I don't think that we're getting an NHL ready player at #8. Both these guys sound good. I still defer to the bigger more 2way player, since it's a bit of a safety net that he can become an effective NHLer in some way. I feel like if Caufield's offense doesn't transfer to the NHL that there isn't a lot else there for him to be a difference maker. Both guys sound like excellent options. 

From Eliteprospects.com

Trevor Zegras is an elite two-way forward that can play both wing and center. His pro-level mobility is the foundation of his game, supplementing an in-transition speed that shifts the pace of play. He knows how to get under the skin of opponents and will actively seek out opportunities to lay the body and create separation, all the while staying attentive to the unfolding play. This unique aspect of his game makes him difficult and frustrating to play against. His ability to finish and create plays is undoubtedly the hallmark of his game, as he is one of the major dynamos of his draft class. He is a dangerous scoring threat anywhere below the blue line and his vision matched with his net-drive propels him into positions that create high percentage opportunities. Defensively astute and proactive, he sees the lanes that his opponents do and will do his best to force the puck along the wall where he is at his best. All-in-all, Zegras is one of those special buzzsaw-type players that can excel in key roles and perform under pressure. (Curtis Joe, EP 2019)

Caufield

A game-breaking goal scorer that, despite his diminutive frame, thrives under pressure and is difficult to contain. He’s a silky smooth skater that traverses all three zones with jump and jam. Defensively, he’s uncomfortable having the puck in his own end for long and he’ll make the extra effort to pressure around the blue line and take away cross-ice options. Upon procuring puck possession, he’ll be the first to explode up ice in-transition. The hallmark of his game is his exceptional goal-scoring ability. He has a shot that absolutely leaps off his stick with pinpoint accuracy when he lets loose and a low centre of gravity that facilitates fast and flashy puckhandling at pace. He affords his linemates options by taking advantage of any allotted attention he garners, generating time and space by drawing guys in; he’s perpetually hard to play against. All-in-all, Cole Caufield is an electrifying goal-scoring machine that makes some of the most otherworldly plays look like child’s play. [EP 2019] 

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Oh for sure, no matter who we draft at 8 he isn't NHL ready - in fact I think both players you mentioned are commited to college next year - Wisconsin for Caufield I think - which is perfect, they can't even attend Training Camp I don't think. I know they can't be signed so no matter what they won't even get the courtesy of a '9 game' trial which in a lot of cases I'm also against.

6 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

I don't think that we're getting an NHL ready player at #8. Both these guys sound good. I still defer to the bigger more 2way player, since it's a bit of a safety net that he can become an effective NHLer in some way. I feel like if Caufield's offense doesn't transfer to the NHL that there isn't a lot else there for him to be a difference maker. Both guys sound like excellent options. 

There's actually quite a few good option's we'll have at 8. One thing about drafts, you can easily get the best player at 8 no matter who is there as everyone develops differently. I look at Parayko as my poster boy for that, if he was 6'5 in his draft year he would have been a 1st round pick easy. I just think that for once, it will be refreshing we won't have to judge a player too soon as we won't see him for a least one year, hopefully two years. 

16 hours ago, gto199 said:

Looks like Caufield has moved up to #4 on Button's list, so will likely not be avail. to the Oil.

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-caufield-scores-his-way-into-top-5-1.1316942 

Yep and Dach to 12th. Though bear in mind this is Button's list solely and he bases it on where he see's these guys in 5 years, not where they are now. I do know the Oilers are very very high on Kirby Dach for #8 and if he's there they will most likely draft him. But, that's because they think he will be the best player available at that time (if he's even still there for the taking). I do not know here, for example, they have Caufield or Turcotte ranked. They could have them rated ahead of Dach and if say both Caufield and Dach are there at 8 they may take Caufield. I just know that they think Dach will be the BPA once their spot is reached. Draft will be very interesting. I'm still wondering if we trade up our up pick by enhancing with JP - I don't think that gets us in to #3 but I wonder if it moves us up to #4 or #5?

Our team already have the stars, we need good role players that can pop in a few when needed. 

If we can trade down while acquiring a good 2nd line winger or 3rd line center I say do it. There is a caveat to this though. That new player must not need protection in the expansion draft. - tough ask.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:30 AM, SuperDave17 said:

Any chance that Moritz Seider, big right-handed German dman, is still available come the second round?

Doubt it. He's rated anywhere between 10 and 20.

My top 5 choices @ #8 pick (if avail.)

1.  Cole Caufield - pure goal scorer

2.  Kirby Dach – can score; make plays, aggressive, power forward with size

I doubt the above two will be avail. @ #8 so below are the realistic choices that may be avail.

3.  Trevor Zegras – pure play maker  

4.  Dylan Cozens – speed, great skating forward with size

5.  Philip Broberg – great skating offensive D-man with size

6.  Alex Turcotte - can score & make plays

7.  Peyton Krebs - reminds me of Johnathan Toews

8.  Arthur Kaliyev – had 51 goals, a great one-timer that reminds me of Draisaitl’s

My top 5 choices @ #38 pick

1.  Nils Hoglander – a mighty mouse, very dynamic & creative forward  

2.  Marshall Warren - offensive D-man

3.   Lassi Thompson - great shooting offensive D-man, great slapshot

4.  Nathan Legare – great shooting, aggressive, power forward

5.  Hunter Jones - goalie

Edited by gto199