The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Fogolin2

The Next Coach

15 hours ago, BoomnotBust said:

The factual support is that Tippett became a less effective and unable to get more from less with the ushering in of the present style of play in the NHL.

The onus is on me to provide proof? It's a message board where I am posting my opinion. What have you proven? Your argument that Tippett will be successful is that he had success up until 2012, prior to the style of game changing so you certainly haven't proven that Tippett is the right coach for the Oilers going forward either. The fact is neither of us today can prove who the better coach for the Oilers will be in the future. My belief is that Tippett is not the right coach for this time at this time. 

As for Nelson, I see him as more of an up and coming guy that is more likely to be successful going forward, he should have been given more of an opportunity in the first place.

Okay. 

18 hours ago, BoomnotBust said:

The factual support is that Tippett became a less effective and unable to get more from less with the ushering in of the present style of play in the NHL.

The onus is on me to provide proof? It's a message board where I am posting my opinion. What have you proven? Your argument that Tippett will be successful is that he had success up until 2012, prior to the style of game changing so you certainly haven't proven that Tippett is the right coach for the Oilers going forward either. The fact is neither of us today can prove who the better coach for the Oilers will be in the future. My belief is that Tippett is not the right coach for this time at this time. 

As for Nelson, I see him as more of an up and coming guy that is more likely to be successful going forward, he should have been given more of an opportunity in the first place.

That's the problem though, he didn't get enough opportunity in the first place... there is no telling how good or bad Nelson could have been because he only got a half of a season of which he coached his team to be better than the trash fire before him, but nowhere near well enough to be a competitive team despite having lots of youth and flash, and even more veteran leadership than the team has now.  The fact though that he hasn't even had a sniff of a head coaching job since then seems to me to be telling.  There is only one team that would hire him to start off, and that team was literally the worst team in the league.  Now, years later we are again seeing only that same team as the only one that seems willing to give him another shot at head coach at the NHL level (well many from it's fanbase do anyways).

Edited by bronco73

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

27 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

That's the problem though, he didn't get enough opportunity in the first place... there is no telling how good or bad Nelson could have been because he only got a half of a season of which he coached his team to be better than the trash fire before him, but nowhere near well enough to be a competitive team despite having lots of youth and flash, and even more veteran leadership than the team has now.  The fact though that he hasn't even had a sniff of a head coaching job since then seems to me to be telling.  There is only one team that would hire him to start off, and that team was literally the worst team in the league.  Now, years later we are again seeing only that same team as the only one that seems willing to give him another shot at head coach at the NHL level (well many from it's fanbase do anyways).

I’m in agreement, further to the point it’s widely considered that when your a head coach your a head coach, you don’t take a job as an assistant like Nelson did in Dallas and GG did here. GG better get the axe too.

It looks like Tippett will be named coach. Not my first choice, but not necessarily the worst. I get the criticism and skepticism by the fans, but sometimes some go too far. I am keeping an open mind and hoping.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:03 AM, bronco73 said:

And Nelson is officially out. Again, doesn't surprise me all that much - many many coaching opportunities in the NHL since he left here and I don't think he's even been a finalist for any of them (he may have been for one or two but IIRC what Rishaug tweeted seems to be the mantra - when a team is close to hiring we get the 'Nelson not in the mix' comment).

Tippett is my guess in terms of he's already been asked, they are just negotiating the deal for him. As Rishaug said, he's getting almost 4M a year and he's a vet of 48 games and hasn't been in the league in what 5 years! So if you're Dave Tippett, you gotta be looking for a min 20M over 4 years if you ask me, maybe the same deal TM got in LA (heard it's 5M a year x 5 years). 

I know this, if that's the going rate now for a coach, the younger (as in experienced) guys like Nelson are going to find it very hard to land a job - owners don't want to pay that much to a guy not to coach their team (if he's the wrong choice and they have to fire him). 

What has Tippett done?

Hitch has a resume to back it up.

Not sure what to think. Is this the best you can provide McD and Drai and the rest of the team to turn it around?

Old vs younger, old vs new school. Need to get it right this time.

• Like 1

Another player in this coaching selection just may be Alain Vigneault. Has has had reasonably successful career, knows offensive hockey and seems to get his players to "buy in". All coaches do move around and obviously after a time the players seem to tune out.

1 hour ago, pillotte said:

Another player in this coaching selection just may be Alain Vigneault. Has has had reasonably successful career, knows offensive hockey and seems to get his players to "buy in". All coaches do move around and obviously after a time the players seem to tune out.

AV signed on as head coach in Philadelphia like a month ago.

Edited by bronco73

brocomud.JPG

15 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

AV signed on as head coach in Philadelphia like a month ago.

OOPS forgot - Thanks 

1 hour ago, pillotte said:

OOPS forgot - Thanks 

yup, too bad, I would have had him on my shortlist too.

brocomud.JPG

Word is Tippet will sign and the announcement comes tomorrow.

brocomud.JPG

The thread title over at the HfBoards ... "When a Coach Comes Along, You Must Tippett"

Edited by SuperDave17

Edmonton is not a dynasty team or an annual SC contender; therefore, the good / best coaches prefer to be closer to the higher fruit.  Until this franchise can get out of the scrap yard, we have to settle for less-than-the-best.  No disrespect to Tippett or anyone else but that's the state we're in.

People have said that the incoming coach has a chance to work with the best player - McDavid.  The subtitle to the story is that the coach has to raise the play level of 22 other players, which is a huge challenge.  And we know how many of those players were acquired (thanks PC)...and we've seen them play. 

Good luck Coach!

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be