The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Fogolin2

The Next Coach

2 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

I don't get it. The team at the end of the season, was as bad with Hitch as before....and Q already got hired by Florida

So, why not Crawford or Vigneault? 

Especially AV? I think he's coached some teams to over-performing

what about Dave Tippett?

IF Hitch gets a promotion, I could very well see GG getting a shot at the reigns.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

what about Dave Tippett?

1 hour ago, bronco73 said:

IF Hitch gets a promotion, I could very well see GG getting a shot at the reigns.

1 hour ago, bronco73 said:

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

what about Dave Tippett?

Dave Tippett yes could be considered. Don’t what his arrangement with Seattle is. 

10 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

what about Dave Tippett?

I think folks wouldn't like Tippett's defensive focus, but I think he might be exactly what we need. 

Anybody that can get these clowns to stop watching the puck, and start defending the play, is the guy we're looking for.

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

10 hours ago, bronco73 said:

I thought Gulutzan did a good job in Calgary, and quite a few folks here were surprised when he got canned. I'd be ok with him getting a shot, especially after his experience this year with Hitch. I'm sure GG, being in the middle of the mess, but not being the guy at the mic every night, would've taken a lot of lessons from what happened this year

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

On 4/10/2019 at 6:10 PM, Fogolin2 said:

I don't get it. The team at the end of the season, was as bad with Hitch as before....and Q already got hired by Florida

So, why not Crawford or Vigneault? 

Especially AV? I think he's coached some teams to over-performing

I don't think Crawford has done a damn thing in this league. I watched him jawbone when in Vancouver and I just think he's useless. The stark difference in coaching quality was highlighted in the playoffs when Avs played Wings under Bowman. The difference between to highly skilled teams at the time (long time ago I admit) was clearly disciplined play (aka coaching) by Detroit. AV, ok maybe. I think I just don't like him, but I don't think he's had much real success. I just think a guy like Quenneville will get this team's attention better than him. 

39 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Things just keep getting more and more interesting...

400639bea0b4872e29d495813e32f927.png
https://gyazo.com/400639bea0b4872e29d495813e32f927

Krueger? This better be some sort of joke. It would be typical of this organization to bring back a guy that was already dismissed. When are things ever going to change around here? 

16 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Krueger? This better be some sort of joke. It would be typical of this organization to bring back a guy that was already dismissed. When are things ever going to change around here? 

well to be clear we have no clue the circumstances of his leaving, and there is no indication or informatoin whatsoever linking him to the Oilers.  I just find the timing and circumstance to be... interesting

brocomud.JPG

I wonder if the Oilers could somehow pry Sheldon Keefe out of Toronto. Probably not, but worth a try. He's NHL ready, unlike Eakins was a few years back. 189-86-27 with a Calder Cup in 4 AHL seasons, including two 50+ win seasons. He was 98-29-9 in two seasons as head coach of the Soo Greyhounds before that. Get Hitchcock to mentor him and surround him with quality assistant coaches.

Another AHL coach from Toronto may be a tough sell though. Vigneault would be my next choice.

2 hours ago, bronco73 said:

well to be clear we have no clue the circumstances of his leaving, and there is no indication or informatoin whatsoever linking him to the Oilers.  I just find the timing and circumstance to be... interesting

For sure - though it could just be after 2 straight years of battling relegation (After 3 straight top-8 finishes), it was time to move on.   Ralph doesn't seem the type to stop though, he'll definitely find another role, somewhere, and not long after the June 30 contract with Saints ends I'd predict.

fantyleaguecupbgnocchi_zpsd26307cf.png

Credits to UnrefinedCrude for the signature.  Big thanks!

2 hours ago, ALLENBAPTIST said:

I think he might be considering OTTAWA as head of hockey operation. 

Watch this happen and Ottawa right their ship, pass the Oilers, and the Oilers stay the same.

Probably won't happen ..... but what's a little more egg on the face of this franchise by now?

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Is he more a coach for today's game, IF we bring him back into the fold? When he was here, he relied on the PP to get any offense. He seemed clueless / helpless 5v5 because teams knew to just keep the game to the boards, rendering our little guys helpless.

Has the game really changed that much that we can neglect the boards and tougher aspects of the game that still have some relevancy for all the mantra of speed and skill? I really doubt the Caps would have won last year without Tom Wilson working the boards and making the other teams' players afraid to even touch the puck. IF Krueger came back, does he have a game plan for today's NHL?

2 minutes ago, SuperDave17 said:

Is he more a coach for today's game, IF we bring him back into the fold? When he was here, he relied on the PP to get any offense. He seemed clueless / helpless 5v5 because teams knew to just keep the game to the boards, rendering our little guys helpless.

Has the game really changed that much that we can neglect the boards and tougher aspects of the game that still have some relevancy for all the mantra of speed and skill? I really doubt the Caps would have won last year without Tom Wilson working the boards and making the other teams' players afraid to even touch the puck. IF Krueger came back, does he have a game plan for today's NHL?

Personally, I feel like he used what he had and found something that worked for them.

The Little guys sucked 5 v 5.  Get them space by drawing LOTS of penalties, and have a system ready to create legitimate chances.

The team wasn't very good, but they competed the whole season.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

3 minutes ago, SuperDave17 said:

Was that a coaching problem or a roster problem though?  We currently have 1 line with any strength and ability to play the boards, and it isn't either of the top two lines.

The boards are as integral now as they have been forever IMO.  We are still sorely lacking in players with ability to play the boards.  Our top two lines had one guy, Draisaitl, that could play the boards effectively (admittedly once they moved Kassian up to Connors line that gave us a second guy).  Board play is a big part of why this team failed yet again this year.

brocomud.JPG

3 minutes ago, SuperDave17 said:

If he comes back - to hockey in general, not just to Edmonton - it don't think it would be as coach.  He has spent 5 years as the Chairman of a club, that while not elite, still brought in over a quarter billion in revenue a few years back.   It seems like one heck of a demotion, unless he has a real yearning for the job. 

And if he does have that yearning, would it be for the guys that fired him via Skype? 

I see him taking no less than a GM role if he were to return to hockey, and perhaps would want a POHO role.

To pick up on the themes, on paper TB has far superior pure skill man for man compared to the CBJ, yet no true power forward in their top 6.

And sure enough, they're getting slaughtered by the BJ on the boards themselves.

That's part of why I've become really high on Benson. He's got boat loads of skill, but he's also effective on the boards, frequently winning battles against established AHL grinder vets. He's not the biggest or strongest guy around, but there's more to it than that. It's a whole skill set unto itself that includes positioning, leverage, quickly distributing it once you get it, and sometimes just sheer willpower and determination. He'll be a really welcome top 6 addition once he's ready for the next step.

7 hours ago, EternalFrost said:

I wonder if the Oilers could somehow pry Sheldon Keefe out of Toronto. Probably not, but worth a try. He's NHL ready, unlike Eakins was a few years back. 189-86-27 with a Calder Cup in 4 AHL seasons, including two 50+ win seasons. He was 98-29-9 in two seasons as head coach of the Soo Greyhounds before that. Get Hitchcock to mentor him and surround him with quality assistant coaches.

Another AHL coach from Toronto may be a tough sell though. Vigneault would be my next choice.

I just don't see AV as the guy that's going to be behind our bench for 5 years or more. In other words, not the real solution. 

4 minutes ago, WHA fan said:

I just don't see AV as the guy that's going to be behind our bench for 5 years or more. In other words, not the real solution. 

In this teams entire history there has only been 2 coaches that lasted 5 years or more.  Glen and Craig

brocomud.JPG

If Krueger does return to Canada, it would likely be for something like Hockey Canada or Soccer Canada.  The latter has some organizational issues / personnel to address which he would likely handle i.e. the coaching days are over.

As Nochi mentioned, why come back to help a team that Skyped you? 

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

2 hours ago, bronco73 said:

In this teams entire history there has only been 2 coaches that lasted 5 years or more.  Glen and Craig

Fair enough. Maybe it's time we find someone, though I recognize five years is a long time these days. I just don't want AV in Edmonton. 

17 hours ago, EternalFrost said:

We need a GM first, then we get the coach. He could be our guy if we get say, Mark Hunter as our GM (not saying we will here,just speculating). I would imagine Hunter would know this guy well and 'assume' here they have a very good working relationship. But regardless, our GM is hiring our next coach so we'll just have to wait and see, but yeah, sounds like a prime candidate

11 hours ago, SuperDave17 said:

To pick up on the themes, on paper TB has far superior pure skill man for man compared to the CBJ, yet no true power forward in their top 6.

And sure enough, they're getting slaughtered by the BJ on the boards themselves.

That's part of why I've become really high on Benson. He's got boat loads of skill, but he's also effective on the boards, frequently winning battles against established AHL grinder vets. He's not the biggest or strongest guy around, but there's more to it than that. It's a whole skill set unto itself that includes positioning, leverage, quickly distributing it once you get it, and sometimes just sheer willpower and determination. He'll be a really welcome top 6 addition once he's ready for the next step.

I find this series very interesting for sure. When it was 3 to 0 after one in game one, I thought 'wow this is a bigger dud than I thought' but now...WOW. 

And I hope you're right there SD, unlike a few others, I was very happy with the Benson pick. What a lot of folks here forget is during the most crucial years of his development he suffered some very debilitating injuries that not only prevented him from playing hockey, but prevented him from working out off ice. Set him very far behind. I remember reading an article about him when he was 14 and back then they had him pegged as a top 10 pick in the NHL draft when his time came. So now he's finally healthy and developing. I still think we have a real player here. Someone who, when he is ready, will explode on the NHL scene and could very well be a rookie of the year candidate. I'm extremely happy this was one guy the Oilers did not 'rush' up here. I wouldn't even mind it if he spent a second full season in the AHL. I have a feeling he won't though, he'll most likely be on our roster next year. Maybe not to start the season, but he will be on it at some point. 

11 hours ago, WHA fan said:

Number of current NHL head coaches who have been with their current team for 5 years or more: 3 (Peter Laviolette, Jon Cooper & Paul Maurice)

Number of cups they've won with their current team: 0

5 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Nothing topic-oriented OJF, but regarding your avatar pic, I came across this lil dandy the other day and thought of y'all :

9k=

daa46f916fcb0f7aeab6f79ecc8bcc4f.jpg

Edited by GrooveyAsh
  • Haha 1

Well it looks like we can put the Krueger thing to rest.

567b2a5d0230fa560f2d1bce332d7bd6.png

brocomud.JPG

22 hours ago, RapierShot said:

If Krueger does return to Canada, it would likely be for something like Hockey Canada or Soccer Canada.  The latter has some organizational issues / personnel to address which he would likely handle i.e. the coaching days are over.

As Nochi mentioned, why come back to help a team that Skyped you? 

7 hours ago, bronco73 said:

Well it looks like we can put the Krueger thing to rest.

567b2a5d0230fa560f2d1bce332d7bd6.png

I respect Krueger for stating this so soon afterwards, knowing there will be tons of speculation.

RS, you may be onto something with Soccer Canada.  We've got 7 years to prep for a World Cup, a guy with Ralph's experience might look appealing. 

I mean, we're pretty bad at soccer.