The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
bronco73

Toronto non-commital on Babcock... SERIOUSLY??

https://www.nhl.com/news/maple-leafs-coach-mike-babcock-to-go-through-evaluation/c-307026934..

"TORONTO -- The Toronto Maple Leafs are noncommittal on the future of coach Mike Babcock but hopeful of signing forward Mitchell Marner, who can become a restricted free agent on July 1, to a long-term contract. "

Outright ridiculous.  If I were this teams management right now I would be offering everything I can to get him to step down in Toronto and come here.  Please Please BN do this one thing for us.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

3 hours ago, bronco73 said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/maple-leafs-coach-mike-babcock-to-go-through-evaluation/c-307026934..

"TORONTO -- The Toronto Maple Leafs are noncommittal on the future of coach Mike Babcock but hopeful of signing forward Mitchell Marner, who can become a restricted free agent on July 1, to a long-term contract. "

Outright ridiculous.  If I were this teams management right now I would be offering everything I can to get him to step down in Toronto and come here.  Please Please BN do this one thing for us.

It's crazy. They outperformed last year. Every talking head I listen to said the Beans would beat them this year, and the Leafs went to game 7. If the expectation was a year of outperform, and a excellent season to be beat by a better team, then he met those. 

They have three 10million dollar guys, and I'm not sure they can get out of the first round. It ain't the coach's fault. Maybe benching Matthews was Babs pulling the ejector lever

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

They're talking scared.  Any team that has cap space needs to be considering offer-sheeting Marner.

I was hoping Sheldon Keefe would come here, but if the Leafs insist on promoting him, I suppose Babs will do 😛

fantyleaguecupbgnocchi_zpsd26307cf.png

Credits to UnrefinedCrude for the signature.  Big thanks!

The only thing wrong here is the GM opened his mouth to much. I would think every team would evaluate their team and management after a season. The GM even says he expected to be evaluated by Shanny.

Toronto Media will ride this hard. 

Edited by Yuke

12 hours ago, bronco73 said:

It has been a discussion point all season that Babcock was not satisfied with the roster in Toronto...……..why would he come here with what we have to offer roster wise?

Not trying to be argumentative, just a serious question to what is likely an unachievable proposal of Babcock coming to Edmonton.

2 hours ago, Blackhawk216 said:

It has been a discussion point all season that Babcock was not satisfied with the roster in Toronto...……..why would he come here with what we have to offer roster wise?

Not trying to be argumentative, just a serious question to what is likely an unachievable proposal of Babcock coming to Edmonton.

I didn't say anything about him agreeing to come here.  I said Toronto isn't committing to him and our management should do everything they can to convince him. 

But to answer your question of why would he come here?  Well if things are not so rosy in Toronto, which seems obvious, why wouldn't he at least want to keep working?  If he weighs his options on possible destinations, which teams COULD have a bright future if his expertise and input were to be taken in? 

Regardless, even if it's only a long shot, it would be completely and utterly irresponsible of this organization if it didn't at least attempt to land him here.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

7 hours ago, bronco73 said:

I didn't say anything about him agreeing to come here.  I said Toronto isn't committing to him and our management should do everything they can to convince him. 

But to answer your question of why would he come here?  Well if things are not so rosy in Toronto, which seems obvious, why wouldn't he at least want to keep working?  If he weighs his options on possible destinations, which teams COULD have a bright future if his expertise and input were to be taken in? 

Regardless, even if it's only a long shot, it would be completely and utterly irresponsible of this organization if it didn't at least attempt to land him here.

OK bronco, I will clarify my statement...……….Babcock has not been happy with the roster he had to work with and the pundits on TV have discussed this many times, and perhaps I am in a minority of one on here, but to me, and I have said this before, for the Oilers franchise, at this point in time,  the appointment of a GM is way more important than that of a coach.

If we don't get the roster issues resolved, it won't matter who the coach is, and I think that has been proven by the "failure" for want of a better word of TM and KH.

I am way more interested in the appointment of a GM than our next (or even same) coach.   If Babcock can't get Toronto past the first round, no chance of improving on that with the Oilers as things currently stand.   That is why the GM appointment is of utmost importance.   And for the same reason, no chance Babcock would come to Edmonton no matter what efforts were made to entice him here.   That is my opinion anyway.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:56 PM, Blackhawk216 said:

OK bronco, I will clarify my statement...……….Babcock has not been happy with the roster he had to work with and the pundits on TV have discussed this many times, and perhaps I am in a minority of one on here, but to me, and I have said this before, for the Oilers franchise, at this point in time,  the appointment of a GM is way more important than that of a coach.

If we don't get the roster issues resolved, it won't matter who the coach is, and I think that has been proven by the "failure" for want of a better word of TM and KH.

I am way more interested in the appointment of a GM than our next (or even same) coach.   If Babcock can't get Toronto past the first round, no chance of improving on that with the Oilers as things currently stand.   That is why the GM appointment is of utmost importance.   And for the same reason, no chance Babcock would come to Edmonton no matter what efforts were made to entice him here.   That is my opinion anyway.

i agree to a point, but though they are now down 2 to 0, a coach can make a huge difference. I'm speaking about the best coach in the game of course, and the best coach in the game, and IMO it's not close, is Barry Trotz. In his first year he took a roster that two years ago had one of the worst GAA in the league, missing their superstar player (Tavares) into the best defensive team in the league. 

Goaltending and the turn around by Robin Lehner had a big part in it, but the Islanders system, put in place by Trotz, had an even bigger impact.

Mike Babcock, IMO, is one of the most overrated coaches out there. He had a stacked Anaheim team that he took to the SC finals, but he didn't win, and a couple of years later was fired. He had a stacked team in Detroit, where he won one Stanley Cup I believe (or was it two? I can't recall) and jumped ship as soon as it started leaking there, and took the money in Toronto (I don't blame him).

Sure that roster had holes, but it is a lot more solid than ours. A lot more. They have better goaltending then us, defense... well Marincin is on that roster so I won't say overall their D is better than ours but there best dman (Morgan Reilly) is better than our best dman (Klefbom/ Nurse - there's an argument there who our best even is) and their complement of forwards destroys ours. 

So now the issue is what are the Leafs going to do. They are in a cap crunch big time when they sign Marner (and they will). There are players they won't be able to sign (Gardner is one and I don't know how they're going to replace him and they are already weak on D) and Kadri will have to be moved IMO. 

I look at Trotz, and he took that job in New York even though he knew he'd be in a bit of trouble with Tavares gone, and Babcock, who complains about what he has. 

IMO, I wouldn't commit to him either, but that being said they are paying him a boat load of money to coach so IMO he isn't going anywhere. He will be kept on until his contract expires as I think he makes too much money to be fired unless the team is really underacheiving and the GM's neck is in a noose and he has no choice. Dubas is safe for now so I would think Babcock is too.

But, I don't think he's a coaching genius, I think he's overrated and I think he has a massive ego. But that's just me. 

On 4/29/2019 at 8:54 AM, OilyJetFan said:

i agree to a point, but though they are now down 2 to 0, a coach can make a huge difference. I'm speaking about the best coach in the game of course, and the best coach in the game, and IMO it's not close, is Barry Trotz. In his first year he took a roster that two years ago had one of the worst GAA in the league, missing their superstar player (Tavares) into the best defensive team in the league. 

Goaltending and the turn around by Robin Lehner had a big part in it, but the Islanders system, put in place by Trotz, had an even bigger impact.

Mike Babcock, IMO, is one of the most overrated coaches out there. He had a stacked Anaheim team that he took to the SC finals, but he didn't win, and a couple of years later was fired. He had a stacked team in Detroit, where he won one Stanley Cup I believe (or was it two? I can't recall) and jumped ship as soon as it started leaking there, and took the money in Toronto (I don't blame him).

Sure that roster had holes, but it is a lot more solid than ours. A lot more. They have better goaltending then us, defense... well Marincin is on that roster so I won't say overall their D is better than ours but there best dman (Morgan Reilly) is better than our best dman (Klefbom/ Nurse - there's an argument there who our best even is) and their complement of forwards destroys ours. 

So now the issue is what are the Leafs going to do. They are in a cap crunch big time when they sign Marner (and they will). There are players they won't be able to sign (Gardner is one and I don't know how they're going to replace him and they are already weak on D) and Kadri will have to be moved IMO. 

I look at Trotz, and he took that job in New York even though he knew he'd be in a bit of trouble with Tavares gone, and Babcock, who complains about what he has. 

IMO, I wouldn't commit to him either, but that being said they are paying him a boat load of money to coach so IMO he isn't going anywhere. He will be kept on until his contract expires as I think he makes too much money to be fired unless the team is really underacheiving and the GM's neck is in a noose and he has no choice. Dubas is safe for now so I would think Babcock is too.

But, I don't think he's a coaching genius, I think he's overrated and I think he has a massive ego. But that's just me. 

Don't disagree with hardly anything you wrote, but my reasoning for saying the GM is more important to the Oilers (at this moment in time) than the coach, is because we have such a bad bottom six, and only two thirds (if that even) of a top six, dubious goaltending and a defence that leaks goals like a sieve.

Other than that, we are fine 😎.

31 minutes ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Don't disagree with hardly anything you wrote, but my reasoning for saying the GM is more important to the Oilers (at this moment in time) than the coach, is because we have such a bad bottom six, and only two thirds (if that even) of a top six, dubious goaltending and a defence that leaks goals like a sieve.

Other than that, we are fine 😎.

LOl - yep, just a couple of 'minor' details ;) 

On 4/29/2019 at 8:54 AM, OilyJetFan said:

I agree completely. He won once with Detroit and lost a second with them. He got out coached in the Boston series mostly because he is too stubborn to change his ways. Lucic would be getting the same ice time as McDavid and Drai if he was here.

Edited by IGibb