The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
arturo

KEN HOLLAND NEW GM! 5 year deal!

KEN HOLLAND NEW GM!

Didnt think it would be him, was hoping for Hunter. but did this guy really need a 5 year deal?

If he sends the OBC packing I will be happy. As far as what I'm hearing over different media sources, it isn't official yet but it is probably the worst kept secret in hockey. I bet there will be a press conference in the next couple days.

• Like 1

In my previous incarnation here, I was Apples&Hay, with over 10,000 posts...I'm back, baby!

"We have to believe in Free Will, we have no choice!

It's certainly looking that way. I'll admit I thought there was absolutely no chance he leaves Detroit, but $25m and full autonomy is an offer no sane person would pass up. And yes, 5-years and big bucks are what you have to spend to get an exec like Holland to jump ship and move after 30+ years with an organization and city.

Katz is throwing money around foolishly in a desperate bid to assuage Oiler fans, all he really needed to do was gas his buddies, improve the scouting department, and Gretz or Hunter could have done the job for a fraction of the cost!

5x5 OMG...who wouldn't accept that!

However, the Red Wings have fallen on hard times of late, missing the playoffs the past three seasons. In 2018-19, the club was the highest spending team in the NHL, but could only muster a 74-point campaign, good for 28th in the league.

This comment from the article really bothers me. That right there is the reason why Detroit went with Stevie Y to begin with. Could be Holland got stale there for sure. What I'm interested in most is what will his official title be. Will it be GM? Or will get PC's job, which was GM and POHO of all hockey - Condors and Oil Kings included. and 5M a year.. doesn't Babcock make that? I wonder if the next part of the rumor will come true and he brings Babcock over to coach us? 

ok the hiring is OK, but 5 years, just bring back chia get this whole thing over with now, instead of waiting  5 years.

in the 30 plus years ive been an oiler fan i think these last few years have been more frustrating than any other time. at comparing the time to when peter pock wanted to sell the oilers to houston ! my god, why does management and ownership have to live in the past.

19 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

However, the Red Wings have fallen on hard times of late, missing the playoffs the past three seasons. In 2018-19, the club was the highest spending team in the NHL, but could only muster a 74-point campaign, good for 28th in the league.

This comment from the article really bothers me. 

Concerning, yes. There are rumours he had Illicth in his ear telling him to keep going for the cup. Doesn't work that way. If Holland didn't know it then, he does now. 

From Kirby on another site.

without needing to sign anything other than a 6/7 Dman. Take away Franzen + Zetterberg and the wings have ~19M available next season should they want to spend to the cap, with only needing to sign 6/7 Dman + Depth Forward. The season after that, Green + Howard are off the books as a UFA, Franzen is off LTIR (Zetterberg off the following season), 1 of 2 buyouts falls off (the other falling off the following season), and there "major signings" are all RFA's.

Draft Picks Available over the next 3 years:
2019 - 1st x 1, 2nd x 3, 3rd x 1
2020 - 1st x 1, 2nd x 2, 3rd x 2
2021 - 1st x 1, 2nd x 1, 3rd x 2

Without factoring in any of their current prospects not already on the team, it appears Yzerman is being left with a team poised to take the next step with their rebuild with plenty of cap space + assets to turn the Red Wings into a playoff team within the next 2-3 seasons. They can even attain more assets by assisting a team trying to complete with a bad contract remaining for 1-2 seasons without impacting plans moving forward. Yes they have been in a holding pattern the past few years, but its been building to set them up for this period moving forward (3 years without playoffs to date). 

It looks like he was managing the cap just fine.

Edited by Yuke
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CalgaryFlamesAltFan said:

Hope things go well Oiler fans.  When I think of Holland, I think developing through the draft, a patient approach.  I don't think of big trades.

Given Chiarelli's track record, that is a good thing.

I'm kind of in the middle on this one. What I like is he is experienced and will be less swayed by the OBC and in a perfect world even gets rid of them (though I don't expect that). What I don't like is that he hasn't been great the last 10 years but regardless will be better than Chia was here.

4 minutes ago, BoomnotBust said:

Given Chiarelli's track record, that is a good thing.

I'm kind of in the middle on this one. What I like is he is experienced and will be less swayed by the OBC and in a perfect world even gets rid of them (though I don't expect that). What I don't like is that he hasn't been great the last 10 years but regardless will be better than Chia was here.

I agree, Holland will not make a bad trade.  I don't think he's experienced in high end, low value contracts.  It will be interesting to see how he deals with it.  I think he needs to make a big move to acquire a big name defenseman this draft.  He has a high draft pick to deal.  I don't know that he'll do that though.  He could also try and lure through free agency,

I notice Detroit defensemen Kronwall is a UFA this summer.  The Holland connection could help in securing him.

Holland will get her done or he won't. He has the summer to try and fix a huge mess. We should know by October if we are heading in the right direction . I won't jump up or down until then.

2 hours ago, CalgaryFlamesAltFan said:

Hope things go well Oiler fans.  When I think of Holland, I think developing through the draft, a patient approach.  I don't think of big trades.

Hence a five year contract.   And if he was first choice (disregarding Mcrimmon who we don't know was first choice) then either we agree to that or go for second/third/fourth choice.

10 minutes ago, original said:

Holland will get her done or he won't. He has the summer to try and fix a huge mess. We should know by October if we are heading in the right direction . I won't jump up or down until then.

So you want this "huge mess" fixed by the end of Summer?   Good luck with that.  If you expect that, prepare yourself for disappointment.

2 hours ago, CalgaryFlamesAltFan said:

I notice Detroit defensemen Kronwall is a UFA this summer.  The Holland connection could help in securing him.

I thought of this when I heard Holland was in the mix. I love Kronwall, but I feel like he's a grindy defender and we already have that covered. We need a puck mover.

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

17 minutes ago, original said:

We need one forward to make a second line, and he might already be in our system. We need Kosk to make a glove save. We need Sekera to play. 

On the ice, it's not a total disaster. I hope he fires a bunch of scouts and OBC and tells Katz that he doesn't take calls from idiots between September and July.

'Wanna talk to me? Book us a tee time.'

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Most of the Red Wings worst contracts are easily moveable back-diving contracts that can be sent to budget-conscious cap floor teams. Holland has actually set the team up pretty well in terms of talent acquisition and cap flexibility. They're in the middle of the rebuild cycle, but the only players with signed contracts for the 2020-21 season are Larkin, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Dekeyser, Bernier & Zetterberg. Zetterberg's actual salary for the next 2 years is $1m per. Someone will take the cap hit if he doesn't retire.

I'm feeling more comfortable and confident in his ability to get the Oilers turned around as I look more into his recent body of work. His trade history is solid. No major red flags in his 20+ years in Detroit. No Eberle for Strome or Hall for Larsson-type lunacy that I can spot: http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Ken_Holland/138/1

Red Wings fans are themselves divided over Holland's recent work. One school of thought brings up the same concerns as OJF and others allude to.

The other school thinks Holland probably recognized he needed to start the rebuild sooner after the Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Lidstrom trio started to fade, but made the win-now moves that compromised long-term future in order to placate Mike Illitch in his last years.

Guess we'll see. I really hope the OBC besides Keith gets cleaned out, and it pretty much needs a guy with Holland's stones and stature to do it.

Holland hasn't agreed to the offer. He hasn't agreed to leave Detroit where he has lived with his wife and kids for 32 years.

Oilers have leaked the term and salary in an effort to leverage some persuasive pressure. Classy.

21 minutes ago, BC-Refugee said:

Holland hasn't agreed to the offer. He hasn't agreed to leave Detroit where he has lived with his wife and kids for 32 years.

Oilers have leaked the term and salary in an effort to leverage some persuasive pressure. Classy.

Sorry, we didn't know you were sitting in on the meetings.  Finally some first hand information!

We are all going by what all the pundits and media sites are reporting.  In fact ALL of them are reporting the same thing, which lends a ton of credence to the information.  If we are wrong it's because all of the people reporting it are wrong.  Something tells me to trust them over you.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

6 hours ago, Yuke said:

Concerning, yes. There are rumours he had Illicth in his ear telling him to keep going for the cup. Doesn't work that way. If Holland didn't know it then, he does now. 

From Kirby on another site.

without needing to sign anything other than a 6/7 Dman. Take away Franzen + Zetterberg and the wings have ~19M available next season should they want to spend to the cap, with only needing to sign 6/7 Dman + Depth Forward. The season after that, Green + Howard are off the books as a UFA, Franzen is off LTIR (Zetterberg off the following season), 1 of 2 buyouts falls off (the other falling off the following season), and there "major signings" are all RFA's.

Draft Picks Available over the next 3 years:
2019 - 1st x 1, 2nd x 3, 3rd x 1
2020 - 1st x 1, 2nd x 2, 3rd x 2
2021 - 1st x 1, 2nd x 1, 3rd x 2

Without factoring in any of their current prospects not already on the team, it appears Yzerman is being left with a team poised to take the next step with their rebuild with plenty of cap space + assets to turn the Red Wings into a playoff team within the next 2-3 seasons. They can even attain more assets by assisting a team trying to complete with a bad contract remaining for 1-2 seasons without impacting plans moving forward. Yes they have been in a holding pattern the past few years, but its been building to set them up for this period moving forward (3 years without playoffs to date). 

It looks like he was managing the cap just fine.

Well that's certainly another perspective - thanks for posting that Yuke - interesting stuff. 

39 minutes ago, BC-Refugee said:

15 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Sorry, we didn't know you were sitting in on the meetings.  Finally some first hand information!

We are all going by what all the pundits and media sites are reporting.  In fact ALL of them are reporting the same thing, which lends a ton of credence to the information.  If we are wrong it's because all of the people reporting it are wrong.  Something tells me to trust them over you.

Well, he's right that he hasn't signed it yet. Doesn't mean though that the Oilers 'leaked' anything though. Outside of the playoffs this is the hottest hockey store in Canada and everyone is following it. Contract talks go through agents and it's usually an 'assistant' at an agent's office that 'leaks' things. 

It would be interesting if he turned the job down though after all this, not sure if that did happen that there would be enough 'egg' to go around lol. 

4 hours ago, Blackhawk216 said:

So you want this "huge mess" fixed by the end of Summer?   Good luck with that.  If you expect that, prepare yourself for disappointment.

There's basically a 98% chance we won't make the playoffs for the next couple years so why worry? This team still a mess and it will take at least that amount of time to fix. I believe Holland can do it... Or can I? Hard to expect anything good to happen these days. Ugh!!! :(

I think Holland will do an excellent job and we’ll finally turn the corner. Can’t wait for him to get to work!

So Nicholson and others have denied old boys club interference in the Oilers but they are now reporting that Holland will accept the job after being given full autonomy.....

So this tells me PC did not have full autonomy and neither did Tambo.

This franchise just can't get the story straight anymore....chair shuffles and more failure....

Nicholson might be given a bigger role is being reported.... will he become Cheif Master Press Spokesman....

All I can say is Ken fire Bob first and on the second day fire any and all ex Oilers in management and have them banned from coming within 500 yards of this team and its assets.