Jump to content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
arturo

KEN HOLLAND NEW GM! 5 year deal!

Recommended Posts

On 6/1/2019 at 7:30 PM, mrtea said:

Ken Holland must not have liked what he heard from Yawney and Viveiros very much during the talk he had with them, considering how they are now looking for new employment. When originally asked about the future of the assistant coaching staff Holland stated he wanted to talk to them first.

I like Holland's approach to things so far, he's calm, he's deliberate , he is getting things done, but at his own pace.....no need to rush important decisions. I always watch the rookie draft and this one looks as good as any to watch. 

Not necessarily - and it wasn't Holland btw - it was Tippett that interviewed them. It's Tippett hiring his assistants, not Holland (I think you meant that though right?) I can't answer for Viverios, but it was speculated right at season's end that Yawney was going to join Mclellan in LA (and Yawney was in Anaheim before so it fits, he probably lives there) so the interview with him could have easily gone like "Dave, before you say anything, I'd like to pursue an opportunity in LA with TM" and that's it, interview is over. No doubt Jim Playfair will be hired to replace him. I also hear Mark Lamb (did I get that right, another former Oiler btw lol) is also linked with Tippett so he may join replacing Viveiros. 

10 hours ago, WHA fan said:

I get it, and you are probably correct. However, like I said, if I don't see the positive potential I would probably stop watching. It's pretty much the only sports I watch with consistency. My son and I attend to Victoria Royals games/month usually. I'm watching the NBA finals now; good story, good basketball. I'll watch Euro cup, and World cup soccer and that's about it. I don't even watch the Superbowl, or Masters unless I have nothing to do, which is never, so if I'm going to "cheer" for this team, I have to approach it with some hope. This is why the way this team has been going was a challenge to that view; a real disappointment as though the organization wasn't worth watching. I'll never say 'depressing', cause that would be place actual importance on the thing but it's fun and it's a distraction. I watch because I hope for a win. If I can't hope, then I won't watch.

(also, I think there is a slim possibility that I'm correct on the chances for improvement ;) )

cheers.

St.Louis was dead last Jan 2, now look at them. We do lack depth no doubt but what we don't lack is top end center talent which we have. I don't think we are as far out of it as folks think. What we really need is a Jordan Binnington in net. I really think we are just a goalie away - if we have someone there who can play consistently all season, we are a playoff team as we have the talent up front already. If we have shoddy goaltending again, we aren't going anywhere no matter what moves we make. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Not necessarily - and it wasn't Holland btw - it was Tippett that interviewed them. It's Tippett hiring his assistants, not Holland (I think you meant that though right?) I can't answer for Viverios, but it was speculated right at season's end that Yawney was going to join Mclellan in LA (and Yawney was in Anaheim before so it fits, he probably lives there) so the interview with him could have easily gone like "Dave, before you say anything, I'd like to pursue an opportunity in LA with TM" and that's it, interview is over. No doubt Jim Playfair will be hired to replace him. I also hear Mark Lamb (did I get that right, another former Oiler btw lol) is also linked with Tippett so he may join replacing Viveiros. 

St.Louis was dead last Jan 2, now look at them. We do lack depth no doubt but what we don't lack is top end center talent which we have. I don't think we are as far out of it as folks think. What we really need is a Jordan Binnington in net. I really think we are just a goalie away - if we have someone there who can play consistently all season, we are a playoff team as we have the talent up front already. If we have shoddy goaltending again, we aren't going anywhere no matter what moves we make. 

Yeah  agree, goaltending being our biggest problem. But that alone won't get us where we need to go unless we can find a goalie as powerful as binnington(which is Not gonna happen anytime soon). Realistically  foreward depth is a major problem. After mcdavid, drai and nuge and maybe kassian who else does anything? Chaisson is not signed yet(and goals were a problem as well, who fills them?) We still are struggling with a our defense as well. Sekera has proven to be a band aid. Being hurt most of the time what do we do?   Guy was playing on the 3rd line when he came back. Klef has been getting hurt lots. Larson hasent been the same since his dad died. Russel is not getting younger or faster. Nurse is still making rookie mistakes, and matt benning looks like he will be traded here soon to let Jones and bouchard in(more upside).

 

Closest we have seen a 1 line team do is avalanche make it to round 2. But they had a true number 1 D man in Barrie and an ok goalie in Grubauer  and they just snuck into playoffs.

I'll have to disagree, I'm along the lines of everyone else we are in a rebuild and very far out. Way too many red flags and fires on the oilers. Hopefully some of them get put out before the season starts. But as it stand who's under contract is a worse team than was put forward last season(on paper).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah we are in rebuild, hard to see it any other way, we do have a to do list a mile long. i wishing for a rabbit out of a hat move by holland. Would be nice to see if that old man still has some luck left over from detroit dynasty years. We haven't had a crazy trade in oilers favor since pronger, but that was a major short lived one. but still loved that trade, and wouldn't change a thing about it it brought us( and a slew of others) as close as we could get to a 6th cup.

we are further than 1 binnginton away. yeah they were pretty far out, but they also have a better roster and defense than us, a lot of proven guys were just majorly struggling, like jaden schwartz, who had 36 points all season(usually an average 60 point guy). now has 12 goals and 6 assists in playoffs, pietrangelo had a very slow start, and bininngton didnt come till later, maroon and schenn struggled at the start of the season as well.

maroon was on our top line in edmonton(most of the time), now hes on st louis 3rd, that tells you a lot. bozak on 3rd line and steen on your 4th is depth we cannot match.

looking at 3rd line D bottom 2 pairing would easily be better than our top. Vince Dunn 35 point, and carl gunnerson, a very solid compliment d man. with 7 points in 25 games due to injury.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Not necessarily - and it wasn't Holland btw - it was Tippett that interviewed them. It's Tippett hiring his assistants, not Holland (I think you meant that though right?) I can't answer for Viverios, but it was speculated right at season's end that Yawney was going to join Mclellan in LA (and Yawney was in Anaheim before so it fits, he probably lives there) so the interview with him could have easily gone like "Dave, before you say anything, I'd like to pursue an opportunity in LA with TM" and that's it, interview is over. No doubt Jim Playfair will be hired to replace him. I also hear Mark Lamb (did I get that right, another former Oiler btw lol) is also linked with Tippett so he may join replacing Viveiros. 

 

You may be right that Tippett is hiring his own staff, but Holland was asked a couple of days before they were let go if the assistant coachs were going to be let go. Holland's answer was he was going to talk to them and see what they had to say first. Now maybe he meant they would be interviewed by his staff or Tippett, I don't know he wasn't specific. One thing I am fairly certain about is that Holland would want his coaching staff to know what vision for the team structure he had in mind. So with that in mind I believe he would not be too far from the interview process. It also would not have surprised me to know that Yawney would say "You can't fire me because I was quitting anyway!". Not the first or last time that would be used.

In the long run it doesn't really matter how all the little details got worked out, they are gone and are replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mrtea said:

You may be right that Tippett is hiring his own staff, but Holland was asked a couple of days before they were let go if the assistant coachs were going to be let go. Holland's answer was he was going to talk to them and see what they had to say first. Now maybe he meant they would be interviewed by his staff or Tippett, I don't know he wasn't specific. One thing I am fairly certain about is that Holland would want his coaching staff to know what vision for the team structure he had in mind. So with that in mind I believe he would not be too far from the interview process. It also would not have surprised me to know that Yawney would say "You can't fire me because I was quitting anyway!". Not the first or last time that would be used.

In the long run it doesn't really matter how all the little details got worked out, they are gone and are replaced.

Oh so I guess you missed the interviews with Tippett the day he was hired. He as asked about when he calling the players and stuff, mostly Connor, and he said his first order of business was meeting this his coaches and getting his coaching staff together. I heard him say that on Gregor's show and I believe on a podcast as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 3:46 PM, DeutchOil said:

Read a few Biographies of retired professional Hockey players.  By far the majority of them complain of intense foot and ankle pain for the rest of their lives (not to mention knees and hips).  

It's called wear and tear for a reason.

Any wear and tear would be from the contact, not the skating.   Skating in itself is low impact. 

Alot of the older players wore skates a couple sizes too small as well.... that's probably not good for the feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 8:02 PM, oilersfaninca said:

Any wear and tear would be from the contact, not the skating.   Skating in itself is low impact. 

Alot of the older players wore skates a couple sizes too small as well.... that's probably not good for the feet.

Show me anywhere where anyone professional/medical /physiotherapy related advocates hockey skating ... with its hard stops and starts and tremendous use of power and range of motion ... as  a"low impact" activity.

That is just complete fabrication.   Swimming is Low impact.   Cycling is higher impact.  Running is very high impact .... Skating in circles around a pond is similar to running.   You increase the speed and and power and the stops and starts like power skating or hockey, or the jumping, hard edges and spinning like figure skating, the impact rises dramatically (which is what you claim he NEEDS to work on ... not slow circles around a pond).

Do some research on what Paul Coffey says about what wearing skates that were too small did to his feet and ankles.


"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

Show me anywhere where anyone professional/medical /physiotherapy related advocates hockey skating ... with its hard stops and starts and tremendous use of power and range of motion ... as  a"low impact" activity.

That is just complete fabrication.   Swimming is Low impact.   Cycling is higher impact.  Running is very high impact .... Skating in circles around a pond is similar to running.   You increase the speed and and power and the stops and starts like power skating or hockey, or the jumping, hard edges and spinning like figure skating, the impact rises dramatically (which is what you claim he NEEDS to work on ... not slow circles around a pond).

Do some research on what Paul Coffey says about what wearing skates that were too small did to his feet and ankles.

Low-impact is defined as an activity where one foot does not leave the ground.  Skating qualifies, despite whatever you want to believe.  Additionally, we are talking about a foot sliding on an ice surface, not hammering down on a hard surface.   Sliding will dissipate energy that would ordinarily travel into the body.  Your definition of what makes an exercise low or high impact is incorrect.  Do some research.

Skating is NOWHERE closer to running in terms of impact on joints.   I guarantee you Looch is getting more impact jumping around a boxing ring than he ever would doing on-ice skating drills in the offseason.

Here are just 3 examples of stuff I found on the 'Net.  How many do you want?

 

The fitness benefits

Ice-skating is easy on the joints because it’s low impact, and it improves your balance and coordination. ‘You use a lot of small stabilizer muscles that don’t get a workout in day-to-day life, in particular those around your hips, knees and ankles,’ says Kristin Kunze, a certified skating coach and coordinator of the skating programs in the faculty of kinesiology at the University of Calgary. "

 
Fitness Defined: Low-Impact and High-Impact Exercises (And Which is Right for You)


Low-Impact Exercises
Simply stated, a workout is low-impact if at least one of your feet remains in contact with the ground at all times. Walking, hiking, rollerblading, ice skating and most step aerobics and cardio dance workouts are low-impact.

 

Ice skating is a terrific form of exercise to both tone the body and build cardiovascular fitness. The calories burned in one hour of ice skating can be compared to an hour of jogging but without the impact on the joints. Skating tones and builds muscle in the buttocks, quadriceps, hamstrings, calves and abdomen. This is all great news if you know how to skate, but if you are not a skater, it can seem intimidating to get started.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oilersfaninca said:

Low-impact is defined as an activity where one foot does not leave the ground.  Skating qualifies, despite whatever you want to believe.  Additionally, we are talking about a foot sliding on an ice surface, not hammering down on a hard surface.   Sliding will dissipate energy that would ordinarily travel into the body.  Your definition of what makes an exercise low or high impact is incorrect.  Do some research.

Skating is NOWHERE closer to running in terms of impact on joints.   I guarantee you Looch is getting more impact jumping around a boxing ring than he ever would doing on-ice skating drills in the offseason.

Here are just 3 examples of stuff I found on the 'Net.  How many do you want?

 

The fitness benefits

Ice-skating is easy on the joints because it’s low impact, and it improves your balance and coordination. ‘You use a lot of small stabilizer muscles that don’t get a workout in day-to-day life, in particular those around your hips, knees and ankles,’ says Kristin Kunze, a certified skating coach and coordinator of the skating programs in the faculty of kinesiology at the University of Calgary. "

 
Fitness Defined: Low-Impact and High-Impact Exercises (And Which is Right for You)


Low-Impact Exercises
Simply stated, a workout is low-impact if at least one of your feet remains in contact with the ground at all times. Walking, hiking, rollerblading, ice skating and most step aerobics and cardio dance workouts are low-impact.

 

Ice skating is a terrific form of exercise to both tone the body and build cardiovascular fitness. The calories burned in one hour of ice skating can be compared to an hour of jogging but without the impact on the joints. Skating tones and builds muscle in the buttocks, quadriceps, hamstrings, calves and abdomen. This is all great news if you know how to skate, but if you are not a skater, it can seem intimidating to get started.

This is great.

It says nothing of the type of skating you are asking Lucic to train at, with fast turns, stops and starts, accelerations and decelerations, deep cuts and edge work .... HOCKEY.

If you don't know that skating in hockey isn't all gliding and pushing, you haven't ever played the game.  None of this "research" you have done advocates HOCKEY as low impact ... only skating, and the descriptions you give are clearly NOT what you want Lucic to do.


"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

This is great.

It says nothing of the type of skating you are asking Lucic to train at, with fast turns, stops and starts, accelerations and decelerations, deep cuts and edge work .... HOCKEY.

If you don't know that skating in hockey isn't all gliding and pushing, you haven't ever played the game.  None of this "research" you have done advocates HOCKEY as low impact ... only skating, and the descriptions you give are clearly NOT what you want Lucic to do.

Dave Semenko used a figure skating coach and Lucic could use one too. It's not the starting and stopping he has trouble with, it's his stride. If he could help lengthen it, or smooth it out or something, then it would probably help him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WHA fan said:

Dave Semenko used a figure skating coach and Lucic could use one too. It's not the starting and stopping he has trouble with, it's his stride. If he could help lengthen it, or smooth it out or something, then it would probably help him.

I honestly don’t see his skating as his worst flaw. I’ve seen him pass Nuge while they’re both back checking countless times. At 30 and with his size his skating is what it is. His biggest problems to me are his hands. He doesn’t give or receive passes worth a crap. He needs to work on that more than anything, it’s actually astonishing that an NHL player, going on 12 years has such a hard time with the most basic fundamentals of hockey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I honestly don’t see his skating as his worst flaw. I’ve seen him pass Nuge while they’re both back checking countless times. At 30 and with his size his skating is what it is. His biggest problems to me are his hands. He doesn’t give or receive passes worth a crap. He needs to work on that more than anything, it’s actually astonishing that an NHL player, going on 12 years has such a hard time with the most basic fundamentals of hockey.

This is what seems weird to me about his decline. Most players 'lose a step' as they age, but it looks like Lucic had his hands replaced. I want to believe it's a confidence thing, and if he score in 2 or 3 games in a row that he'll get going again. But, it's been so long that I just can't imagine it happening anymore. 

I don't think we'll be able to move him so I'll just continue to hope. Also, I like him as a dude. Seems like a good crap, so I find him easy to cheer for. 


fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I honestly don’t see his skating as his worst flaw. I’ve seen him pass Nuge while they’re both back checking countless times. At 30 and with his size his skating is what it is. His biggest problems to me are his hands. He doesn’t give or receive passes worth a crap. He needs to work on that more than anything, it’s actually astonishing that an NHL player, going on 12 years has such a hard time with the most basic fundamentals of hockey.

This.

Though I think it is clear that the issues you expose here are due to a decline in Agility, Flexibility, and Mobility, coming largely from a beaten up, larger body frame aging.

Loosening up his body, and getting it to move faster and with more mobility can all be worked on OFF ice with far less additional wear and tear.  But it is unlikely that any dramatic "bounce back" or "turn around" will happen, only a marginal slowing of time.  The Oilers have to plan to work around Lucic and his contract.  And by that I mean to plan for him to sit either on the bench or press box with limited usage.


"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I honestly don’t see his skating as his worst flaw. I’ve seen him pass Nuge while they’re both back checking countless times. At 30 and with his size his skating is what it is. His biggest problems to me are his hands. He doesn’t give or receive passes worth a crap. He needs to work on that more than anything, it’s actually astonishing that an NHL player, going on 12 years has such a hard time with the most basic fundamentals of hockey.

It's quite conceivable that Nuge will be traded to help fix one of our many roster spots that need upgrading. Nuge will be most likely to be traded because of the fact that he has good value to his contract and he is one of the few that can actually bring us back something useful. He should not be traded unless the return helps our team because Nuge is a good player on a good contract and we need all the good players we can get. We are not going to trade Nuge just to get rid of him, even though it seems that would please you immensely.

Why do you dislike him so strongly that you have find a way to criticize him in a post about Lucic's skating ability? Nuge has absolutely nothing to do with Lucic's skating, yet there you are taking shots at Nuge that are so off base it borders on the comical or just outright absurd. Your fixation on Nuge borders on obsession. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mrtea said:

It's quite conceivable that Nuge will be traded to help fix one of our many roster spots that need upgrading. Nuge will be most likely to be traded because of the fact that he has good value to his contract and he is one of the few that can actually bring us back something useful. He should not be traded unless the return helps our team because Nuge is a good player on a good contract and we need all the good players we can get. We are not going to trade Nuge just to get rid of him, even though it seems that would please you immensely.

Why do you dislike him so strongly that you have find a way to criticize him in a post about Lucic's skating ability? Nuge has absolutely nothing to do with Lucic's skating, yet there you are taking shots at Nuge that are so off base it borders on the comical or just outright absurd. Your fixation on Nuge borders on obsession. 

I use Nuge for comparison because I’ve seen it live, lots of times and they both make 6m. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

This is what seems weird to me about his decline. Most players 'lose a step' as they age, but it looks like Lucic had his hands replaced. I want to believe it's a confidence thing, and if he score in 2 or 3 games in a row that he'll get going again. But, it's been so long that I just can't imagine it happening anymore. 

I don't think we'll be able to move him so I'll just continue to hope. Also, I like him as a dude. Seems like a good crap, so I find him easy to cheer for. 

I’m in this boat as well. I, like most fans in the building get excited when Looch has a good game. When he does score on home ice the place erupts. So many criticisms of him on social media yet go to a game and he’s still a fan favourite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

This.

Though I think it is clear that the issues you expose here are due to a decline in Agility, Flexibility, and Mobility, coming largely from a beaten up, larger body frame aging.

Loosening up his body, and getting it to move faster and with more mobility can all be worked on OFF ice with far less additional wear and tear.  But it is unlikely that any dramatic "bounce back" or "turn around" will happen, only a marginal slowing of time.  The Oilers have to plan to work around Lucic and his contract.  And by that I mean to plan for him to sit either on the bench or press box with limited usage.

I agree, thinking this is a top 6 player is unrealistic. His contract is bad on many levels but he belongs on the 4th line with minimal expectation. Come playoff time he could still be a valuable asset.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I use Nuge for comparison because I’ve seen it live, lots of times and they both make 6m. 

When you run your comparisons, how do they stack up across the board? Who earns his contract and who doesn't? Their contract value is the only comparable that matches up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, mrtea said:

When you run your comparisons, how do they stack up across the board? Who earns his contract and who doesn't? Their contract value is the only comparable that matches up.

Oh I get it, you want to run Lucic and give Nuge a free pass on everything. He’s on his 7th coach going on 9 years. Talk about a coach killer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Oh I get it, you want to run Lucic and give Nuge a free pass on everything. He’s on his 7th coach going on 9 years. Talk about a coach killer.

You're on to me. I alone am the only one who wants to see Lucic traded because I alone think he doesn't earn his contract and that money could be used to help fix our roster problems. Yes you got me again, because I alone think Nuge earns his six million and should get a free pass. Help me out here for a second, what am I giving him a free pass on? I've stated he is most likely to be traded and I'm fine with that as long as we get something back worthwhile. If not, what is the sense in trading him other than pleasing you and your obsession?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Messrules11 said:

I agree, thinking this is a top 6 player is unrealistic. His contract is bad on many levels but he belongs on the 4th line with minimal expectation. Come playoff time he could still be a valuable asset.

This is the hope.

As others have said, I have no problem with the player/man, or his heart/desire.  I don't begrudge him for his contract either.  It's a matter of now, figuring out a way of making him useful, while keeping expectations rational.


"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

I honestly don’t see his skating as his worst flaw. I’ve seen him pass Nuge while they’re both back checking countless times. At 30 and with his size his skating is what it is. His biggest problems to me are his hands. He doesn’t give or receive passes worth a crap. He needs to work on that more than anything, it’s actually astonishing that an NHL player, going on 12 years has such a hard time with the most basic fundamentals of hockey.

It's not his speed that I necessarily meant, but his skating seems a little like his hands, hard and choppy. Your point about his hands is also true. Probably bigger problem than anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mrtea said:

You're on to me. I alone am the only one who wants to see Lucic traded because I alone think he doesn't earn his contract and that money could be used to help fix our roster problems. Yes you got me again, because I alone think Nuge earns his six million and should get a free pass. Help me out here for a second, what am I giving him a free pass on? I've stated he is most likely to be traded and I'm fine with that as long as we get something back worthwhile. If not, what is the sense in trading him other than pleasing you and your obsession?   

I’m not trying to argue with you, more you’re coming at me. I used one comparison to prove Lucic’s skating isn’t the issue many make it out to be. If that offended you prove me wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WHA fan said:

It's not his speed that I necessarily meant, but his skating seems a little like his hands, hard and choppy. Your point about his hands is also true. Probably bigger problem than anything. 

You forgot Hockey IQ also. Slow, can't pass, can't recieve a pass,can't finish a play and pouts, miss anything?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I’m not trying to argue with you, more you’re coming at me. I used one comparison to prove Lucic’s skating isn’t the issue many make it out to be. If that offended you prove me wrong.

I'm only trying to point out that you go to great lengths to criticize Nuge, yet you seem to be in denial of this tendency. Over all Mess I find I find I agree with many of posts, just not all of them. Sometimes I respond to your posts with agreement, other times I do not agree. Many times whether I agree or not I don't bother to respond. The Nuge thing is just something that I noticed and decided to respond to. You have not offended me and I don't mean to offend you. Sometimes I do tend to be sarcastic, but that's the way I am.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mrtea said:

I'm only trying to point out that you go to great lengths to criticize Nuge, yet you seem to be in denial of this tendency. Over all Mess I find I find I agree with many of posts, just not all of them. Sometimes I respond to your posts with agreement, other times I do not agree. Many times whether I agree or not I don't bother to respond. The Nuge thing is just something that I noticed and decided to respond to. You have not offended me and I don't mean to offend you. Sometimes I do tend to be sarcastic, but that's the way I am.  

That’s not what I would call ‘great lengths’ it was one sentence regarding a truth that I have observed countless times over the last 3 years. It’s likely every member here knows I’m not a fan of the Nuge, he doesn’t play the game the way I like and he never will. Lucic on the other hand is my type of player, I like hitting, intimidation and love a good scrap. Lucic is still at the top of the league in hits despite dwindling ice time and while he doesn’t fight as much as he used to I still get out of my seat when he does. 

Funny that I debated with some earlier this notion of teams going to speed and skill and how the game has changed yet Tampa couldn’t win a single playoff game and a big team like St.Louis is one win away from a cup.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

That’s not what I would call ‘great lengths’ it was one sentence regarding a truth that I have observed countless times over the last 3 years. It’s likely every member here knows I’m not a fan of the Nuge, he doesn’t play the game the way I like and he never will. Lucic on the other hand is my type of player, I like hitting, intimidation and love a good scrap. Lucic is still at the top of the league in hits despite dwindling ice time and while he doesn’t fight as much as he used to I still get out of my seat when he does. 

Funny that I debated with some earlier this notion of teams going to speed and skill and how the game has changed yet Tampa couldn’t win a single playoff game and a big team like St.Louis is one win away from a cup.

There is where I agree with you. Regular season and play offs are officiated differently so they are played differently. Players like Lucic are perfect for the play offs I agree completely. Unfortunately the Oilers are not built in a way to carry him till we get in the play offs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 3:27 PM, mrtea said:

There is where I agree with you. Regular season and play offs are officiated differently so they are played differently. Players like Lucic are perfect for the play offs I agree completely. Unfortunately the Oilers are not built in a way to carry him till we get in the play offs. 

Maybe but I'm still on the keep Lucic bandwagon. He has issues he has to resolve though - and he may not be able to do it here and if he can't and he wants out then I wish him well. If he gets himself straightened out he'll be a heck of an assest (albeit an expensive one) on any other team he plays with. I'm still hoping he can work things out and we get the Lucic of two years ago and the first half of last year. Still overpaid but based on his intimidation factor, I'm good with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

Maybe but I'm still on the keep Lucic bandwagon. He has issues he has to resolve though - and he may not be able to do it here and if he can't and he wants out then I wish him well. If he gets himself straightened out he'll be a heck of an assest (albeit an expensive one) on any other team he plays with. I'm still hoping he can work things out and we get the Lucic of two years ago and the first half of last year. Still overpaid but based on his intimidation factor, I'm good with that. 

If Lucic could score 15-20 goals and chip in around 40 pts total I'd have no problem keeping him either, especially if we made the play offs. Like someone was saying earlier his hands have turned to stone. That's not bad in a fight, but he's fighting the puck instead. Maybe it's just timing, but I think it's because the league is so fast now. Some plays happen so fast that without video playback your not sure how the puck went in sometimes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With performance bonuses possible to Mike Smith, I think the Oilers may be finished for the day (unless there is a trade somewhere still coming).

Mike Smitth

Alex Chaisson

Jujhar Khaira

Marcus Granlund

Joakim Nygard

Thomas Jurko

Buyout of Sekera

Are we better? Yes or No?


"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...