The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
arturo

KEN HOLLAND NEW GM! 5 year deal!

He needs to make a move for a top 6 winger..period.  And that does not involve getting fleeced or being impatient

He is his own GM with a major track record.  Geography didn't change that

The sentiment to be patient only stems from horrible moves by Chia, which albeit understandable, is truly not applicable.

Guy like Cheveldayoff, who GM in terrible destinations, etc, etc, still pull off good trades

The expectation for Holland to actually make a good/value trade for a decent winger is not unrealistic

That top 6 winger quite easily could be the difference from playoffs or not

40 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

He needs to make a move for a top 6 winger..period.  And that does not involve getting fleeced or being impatient

The sentiment to be patient only stems from horrible moves by Chia, which albeit understandable, is truly not applicable.

Guy like Cheveldayoff, who GM in terrible destinations, etc, etc, still pull off good trades

The expectation for Holland to actually make a good/value trade for a decent winger is not unrealistic

Do you think that trade needs to happen this summer?  or is sometime this season good enough?  before next season begins?

For me, I want to see the types of trades KH is going to make.  The only way of seeing it is having it happen.  Not sure that it will happen this summer though.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

54 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

Not unrealistic, true. but much more difficult compared to Chevy who has multiple assets to trade for quality players. 

10 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

Do you think that trade needs to happen this summer?  or is sometime this season good enough?  before next season begins?

For me, I want to see the types of trades KH is going to make.  The only way of seeing it is having it happen.  Not sure that it will happen this summer though.

I agree with this, but everyone knows we need a top 6 winger. Frankly we need a couple. Thing is, I've come to agree with you, and the moves so far support your view that it's really not about this coming year. The whole planet knows we are forward deficient. It's not a revelation. People talk about trading for a "top six" guy as though we don't have to give anything up to get him. What do we have to make that happen now, without playoff killing sacrifice (for next year anyway)? Nothing. Writing off Sek, our main veteran leadership on D is further evidence of writing off this coming year, IMO. The organization really is weak and the prospect of building through internal development seems our only hope of even achieving decent trade opportunities. It's now about cementing the foundation to make a trade for a top six winger (or two) even possible.

38 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

Most definitely this summer.  If the roster stands...he did nothing more than what Chia did last year..."nibbling around the edges" as he would say(I hated that term)

I've posted this time and time again, but the 1st line needs to score 200+ points, the 2nd needs to score 150+.  That is the ONLY way to be competitive unless you are the Kings who did it w/ exceptional defense, or Nash who did it with crazy scoring from their back end.  Col too

Right now our 2nd line is atrocious and we don't have the d for offense..or defense

We are right there if we can ad a top 6 50 point guy imo

30 minutes ago, Yuke said:

Not unrealistic, true. but much more difficult compared to Chevy who has multiple assets to trade for quality players. 

Hextall walked into a worse situation than the Oil w/ contracts and talent.  He set up a 5 year plan to not waste cap, picks or asset.  He still managed in his 1st year to make some unbelievably lopsided trades

If Holland does have the clout we hear of, getting a 50 winger(easiest thing to get as stated for years), should not be an impossible task

It's pretty clear by this draft that GM's value of picks are extremely high. Our 2nd should have a ton of value...except Holland is the guy who values them so....

31 minutes ago, WHA fan said:

I agree with this, but everyone knows we need a top 6 winger. Frankly we need a couple. Thing is, I've come to agree with you, and the moves so far support your view that it's really not about this coming year. The whole planet knows we are forward deficient. It's not a revelation. People talk about trading for a "top six" guy as though we don't have to give anything up to get him. What do we have to make that happen now, without playoff killing sacrifice (for next year anyway)? Nothing. Writing off Sek, our main veteran leadership on D is further evidence of writing off this coming year, IMO. The organization really is weak and the prospect of building through internal development seems our only hope of even achieving decent trade opportunities. It's now about cementing the foundation to make a trade for a top six winger (or two) even possible.

We need 1.  We have 3 top 6 players in Nuge, McD and Drai.  1 more gives us 4

TO made the playoffs 2x with Hyman and Brown in the top 6...and no defense

Most teams that are good are not stacking 1 line

2 top 6 guys per line is more than enough to compete, especially with how Drai and McD give that extra value

13 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

Hextall walked into a worse situation than the Oil w/ contracts and talent.  He set up a 5 year plan to not waste cap, picks or asset.  He still managed in his 1st year to make some unbelievably lopsided trades

If Holland does have the clout we hear of, getting a 50 winger(easiest thing to get as stated for years), should not be an impossible task

It's pretty clear by this draft that GM's value of picks are extremely high. Our 2nd should have a ton of value...except Holland is the guy who values them so....

Sure trade a pick does not lower our cap. The way it looks is Ken needs to send $s out in order to add.

6 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

We need 1.  We have 3 top 6 players in Nuge, McD and Drai.  1 more gives us 4

TO made the playoffs 2x with Hyman and Brown in the top 6...and no defense

Most teams that are good are not stacking 1 line

2 top 6 guys per line is more than enough to compete, especially with how Drai and McD give that extra value

Um Leafs had a goaltender

46 minutes ago, Yuke said:

Sure trade a pick does not lower our cap. The way it looks is Ken needs to send $s out in order to add.

Um Leafs had a goaltender

We can always bury Gagner for cap.  Or trade Gagner or Manning w/ only 1 year left.  Or Kass.  Or Russel who is a legit enough dman for many teams w/ 2 years

Many teams make moves then work the cap after. GM's shed cap and make moves all the time. Some overpay huge, some do it very admirably

The notion that EDM is a whole different realm is way over exaggerated IMO.  Look at CHI.  Bowman makes good and bad trades all the time. He is one of the most active GM's and forces stuff all the time.   Only difference is he makes GOOD moves too.  Chia, aside from Maroon and Tbot, made bad, after bad, after bad

TO has been the the top 5 in scoring for 3 years.  Their goal-tending is only a fraction of the story

Edited by johnnyterrible

6 hours ago, johnnyterrible said:

We can always bury Gagner for cap.  Or trade Gagner or Manning w/ only 1 year left.  Or Kass.  Or Russel who is a legit enough dman for many teams w/ 2 years

Many teams make moves then work the cap after. GM's shed cap and make moves all the time. Some overpay huge, some do it very admirably

The notion that EDM is a whole different realm is way over exaggerated IMO.  Look at CHI.  Bowman makes good and bad trades all the time. He is one of the most active GM's and forces stuff all the time.   Only difference is he makes GOOD moves too.  Chia, aside from Maroon and Tbot, made bad, after bad, after bad

TO has been the the top 5 in scoring for 3 years.  Their goal-tending is only a fraction of the story

I hope he does make a bit of a splash, I just don't see how he does it without throwing away a much needed draft pick or future asset.

Your right about the Leafs. Oilers goaltending is a huge story for us but for the wrong reason.