Jump to content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
arturo

KEN HOLLAND NEW GM! 5 year deal!

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, WHA fan said:

Right. I mentioned his glove hand. The catching one. 

And he mentioned his weakness on his blocker side. The blocking one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 11:45 AM, TeamEllis said:

Honestly I love this hiring. 

Holland brings some respectability back to the Oilers when before we had absolutely none. The days of GM's salivating at the thought of ripping us off should be long gone. He has friends around the league and connections. He believes in growing talent and not dropping 12 million on the free agency market. He said the path should be to the Condors and then to the NHL. He knows players like JP need confidence and can't be rushed.

Reading through Red wing forums it seems very apparent that Holland is all about the grind. He is always working. Hell his 2nd day here he flew out to Bakersfield. I remember reading a story about the wings winning one of their various cups and the next day after the parade he was found starting his work on the draft. This guys dedication is 2nd to none. He is already moving out here with his family which shows some dedication and commitment to the city. Cough *Chia* Cough. According to red wing fans he has already been working tirelessly on this years draft. 

Also Holland has some pull. He has a HOF resume for Gods sake. I truly believe there will be some changes in the office in the next couple of months. I understand why nothing was done immediately because of the draft coming up and free agency. Do you think a brand new head GM like Hunter, Burke or to some extent McCrimmon would have the stones to go against the OBC and turf guys like Howson, Schwartz, or someone like Paul Messier? I am not saying they are 100% gone but if someone is going to do it.. it is Holland

Hopefully this is the end of the OBC putting their stinky fingers in the pie, terrible pro scouting and rushing young players. Good luck Mr.Holland you are going to need it. 

I agree with everything here. I still thing he's also going to be 'grooming' someone to take over and will spend a few years mentoring him, I think that's part of the deal. It could be Keith Gretzky, it could be someone else though that Holland knows very well and hasn't hired yet. But I think that's the 'end game' here (yeah, stole that one from Marvel).

And as I mentioned in another post, when I heard (and I can't remember who now) say "Who do you think has more clout at the GM meetings......" well, that sealed it for me. 

And neither Todd Mclellan nor Peter Chiarelli 'lived' here. I think the both were staying at the 'Pearl' - renting from person's who owned the Condo's, while their families stayed in Southern California (McClellan) and Massachusetts (Chiarelli) and that is a HUGE thing IMO. Tells me neither one was really ever 'invested' here. Dallas Eakins never worked out here but I give him full credit for moving his family here and making a home here. I'm also disgusted with how a lot of folks here harassed his family, especially his kids at school. So I can see why someone would prefer to leave their families elsewhere. 

Despite all that, I do hope our new coach chooses to live here with his family as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, TeamEllis said:

And he mentioned his weakness on his blocker side. The blocking one.

Wow, it's like you guys like to get together to argue points not in question. Neat. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 7:21 PM, OilyJetFan said:

And neither Todd Mclellan nor Peter Chiarelli 'lived' here. I think the both were staying at the 'Pearl' - renting from person's who owned the Condo's, while their families stayed in Southern California (McClellan) and Massachusetts (Chiarelli) and that is a HUGE thing IMO. Tells me neither one was really ever 'invested' here. Dallas Eakins never worked out here but I give him full credit for moving his family here and making a home here. I'm also disgusted with how a lot of folks here harassed his family, especially his kids at school. So I can see why someone would prefer to leave their families elsewhere. 

Despite all that, I do hope our new coach chooses to live here with his family as well 

Interesting. 

+1 here.

Thanx for the info OJF.

Edited by HappyHappy

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken Holland:  built a winning team a couple of decades ago and rode that pony until it died from exhastion.  He had the luck to acquire some of the best NHL players ever, and built around them until they retired.  Then, dead pony.

I would prefer we have the guy who will build a legacy with our team rather than be recycled from another 'glory decade' where all the tumblers clicked into place.  Hmmm, sounds somewhat familiar ...

Saw him on the interview posted after the Condors OT win; he is talking to everyone around the team, spent some time w Craig McT whom he says he has known forever ... I doubt if any of those OBCs will be removed.  And you know what, other than this message board and perhaps a couple of independent ones and the scribblings of some local media types, does Katz even know about people's aversion to the OBC?  I doubt it, so why would he hire someone to tear apart his Toy Story?  Holland has probably heard enough chirping about himself and his staff over the decades that he doesn't listen to us boo birds or those in the media;  he no doubt closes the blinds and goes about his business.  

Good luck to Holland, and we'll see.  Seems like an honest dude and his experiece should have helped him develop the stones to make his own decisions, OBC coffee and drinks (hey, he has to hang / talk w someone) or not.  Hopefully Holland has more success than Hitch;   I thought that if Hitch couldn't get the Oil to play better defence, then they were beyond hope, which they ultimately proved to be.  

Here's Hoping KH 2.0 has more initial (pun intended) success than 1.0 ... 


HONEST !   A nybody  B ut  E dmonton

 

 

in pursuit of the McDraft sweepstakes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kman23 said:

Ken Holland:  built a winning team a couple of decades ago and rode that pony until it died from exhastion.  He had the luck to acquire some of the best NHL players ever, and built around them until they retired.  Then, dead pony.

I would prefer we have the guy who will build a legacy with our team rather than be recycled from another 'glory decade' where all the tumblers clicked into place.  Hmmm, sounds somewhat familiar ...

Saw him on the interview posted after the Condors OT win; he is talking to everyone around the team, spent some time w Craig McT whom he says he has known forever ... I doubt if any of those OBCs will be removed.  And you know what, other than this message board and perhaps a couple of independent ones and the scribblings of some local media types, does Katz even know about people's aversion to the OBC?  I doubt it, so why would he hire someone to tear apart his Toy Story?  Holland has probably heard enough chirping about himself and his staff over the decades that he doesn't listen to us boo birds or those in the media;  he no doubt closes the blinds and goes about his business.  

Good luck to Holland, and we'll see.  Seems like an honest dude and his experiece should have helped him develop the stones to make his own decisions, OBC coffee and drinks (hey, he has to hang / talk w someone) or not.  Hopefully Holland has more success than Hitch;   I thought that if Hitch couldn't get the Oil to play better defence, then they were beyond hope, which they ultimately proved to be.  

Here's Hoping KH 2.0 has more initial (pun intended) success than 1.0 ... 

Holland isn't on social media, so he doesn't care what we say. Thing with Holland is he has a lot of clout with other GM's and the league, unlike PC does/did. We'll need to see what his overall plan is but he does believe strongly in developing players and his track record shows it. PC said stuff like that when he was hired but there was Yam, playing on a 9 game trial when he clearly wasn't ready to (physically) and it ultimately set him back, and we all know how Jesse was handled. 

Plus, Holland has never been skewered in a trade that I know of. I'm not going to say he won all his trades, that's impossible, but he never downgraded his team with trades - not to the extent PC did. PC literally walked into can't lose situation and not only lost, he got slaughtered. So Holland's bar is set pretty low to begin with, so I think he'll do alright. I also maintain, he's been brought in more to groom our next long term guy - and will most likely, in a few years, relinquish the GM role to that person and oversee him as POHO for a few more years before retiring and going straight into the HOF as a builder. PC will be a shoe in for the Hockey Hall of Shame though. In fact his bust will be greeting you at the door lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kman23 said:

Ken Holland:  built a winning team a couple of decades ago and rode that pony until it died from exhastion.  He had the luck to acquire some of the best NHL players ever, and built around them until they retired.  Then, dead pony.

I would prefer we have the guy who will build a legacy with our team rather than be recycled from another 'glory decade' where all the tumblers clicked into place.  Hmmm, sounds somewhat familiar ...

Saw him on the interview posted after the Condors OT win; he is talking to everyone around the team, spent some time w Craig McT whom he says he has known forever ... I doubt if any of those OBCs will be removed.  And you know what, other than this message board and perhaps a couple of independent ones and the scribblings of some local media types, does Katz even know about people's aversion to the OBC?  I doubt it, so why would he hire someone to tear apart his Toy Story?  Holland has probably heard enough chirping about himself and his staff over the decades that he doesn't listen to us boo birds or those in the media;  he no doubt closes the blinds and goes about his business.  

Good luck to Holland, and we'll see.  Seems like an honest dude and his experiece should have helped him develop the stones to make his own decisions, OBC coffee and drinks (hey, he has to hang / talk w someone) or not.  Hopefully Holland has more success than Hitch;   I thought that if Hitch couldn't get the Oil to play better defence, then they were beyond hope, which they ultimately proved to be.  

Here's Hoping KH 2.0 has more initial (pun intended) success than 1.0 ... 

He sure got lucky a lot. Not to mention Detroit's old contracts are going to expire soon and Yzerman is going to be stuck with a plethora of young talent and tons of cap space. Larkin is signed to soon to be steal of a contract. Not sure what you are talking about.

Who would be the right guy in your mind? Hunter? 

Also he spent some time with Craig but he spent way more time with Keith. 

"ere's Hoping KH 2.0 has more initial (pun intended) success than 1.0 ... "

You mean like more than 4 cups?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken Holland has a five year contract, if he can't fix this mess in that time, I'm not sure who else could.

As for the Oilers fans, we need:

 

 


I am an Alberta fan, which in my case means I follow Calgary & Edmonton.

 

No hate here, I hope that they both do well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Ken Holland has a five year contract, if he can't fix this mess in that time, I'm not sure who else could.

As for the Oilers fans, we need:

 

 

Patience is running out.... and rightly so.

  • Like 1

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what sucks is that we didnt get mcCrimmon. We and again we get someone who was on his was out or fired. Holland was going to be fired if he didnt leave , with stevie y coming in. so again we get someone on the back end of their career. i just hope its not  history repeating itself.

i think this is a better hire than PC, its ok.

but i dont think its that great of a hiring considering how he left detroit. as it stand Holland inherited a well off detroit team in 97, and whn he brough players like hull , lucky luke and the dominitor, those players demanded traded to detroit. so he has had a lot handed to him. i would love to be wrong on this.

 

i dont see him having the skill to wipe out Lucic, koskinaen, russel, manning, broadziak and sekera, and bring in a real top #1 puck moving  D man, a top Winger to play with mcdavid or the 2nd line in nuge(so drai can play with mcdavid or not). and add forward depth. bring in a goalie that can play 50 % of the game with koskanen or be the number 1.

all with our only real trade chips being benning(which if we can still swing the brown deal with the leafs would be nice) puljarvi and jujar. and picks.

its a very tall order to ask of a guy who has never done any of this. by this i mean a put out fires and rebuild.

 

but i do see why katz and bob Nichols hired him team canada buddy, and does more than just being a GM,(he can draft as well)

i think we have at least 2-3 more years of missing playoffs, if a rebuild is done right. we have too much crap like koskanen and lucic taking up too much cap space giving us little room to make any new significant moves.

 

all i know is the odds are against holland in this situation, given hes never done it and if he starts bring in players from detroit like PC did some one will start to notice a pattern.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, arturo said:

what sucks is that we didnt get mcCrimmon. We and again we get someone who was on his was out or fired

its Edmonton.Guys with options aren't coming.


fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SuperDave17 said:

Can it be ... ?

 

I wonder if it's KH cleaning house, or just McT making the move on his own. Either way, I wish him luck but I'm happy to see the change.


fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's an interesting question, Fog.  We still need to see something about KGretzky's status and - hopefully - the pro scouting dept.

 

P.S.  The press release above refers to MacT as "the Canadian specialist"...wonder what they're expecting?


The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fogolin2 said:

I wonder if it's KH cleaning house, or just McT making the move on his own. Either way, I wish him luck but I'm happy to see the change.

I think it was mutual. He's obviously been seriously thinking about getting back into coaching for a while, and with the team's change in direction with Holland in charge, he likely felt this was the best time to move on. It makes Holland look good, makes fans happy, and he gets to go back to doing something he loves. It's a win for all involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fogolin2 said:

I wonder if it's KH cleaning house, or just McT making the move on his own. Either way, I wish him luck but I'm happy to see the change.

and if it's KH's doing... is he planning on bringing more of his former posse over


brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 7:16 PM, TeamEllis said:

He sure got lucky a lot. Not to mention Detroit's old contracts are going to expire soon and Yzerman is going to be stuck with a plethora of young talent and tons of cap space. Larkin is signed to soon to be steal of a contract. Not sure what you are talking about.

Who would be the right guy in your mind? Hunter? 

Also he spent some time with Craig but he spent way more time with Keith. 

"ere's Hoping KH 2.0 has more initial (pun intended) success than 1.0 ... "

You mean like more than 4 cups?

Hunter and Holland have something in common.  Their former NHL teams didn't want them as GMs.  That's what concerns me a bit about even a storied guy like KH.

 4 cups and in it's the past.  Remember some other guy won 6 and knew something about winning (yes as a player but i like to use that line whenever  I can :)    Can't deny KHs success;  yes he got lucky but you're right, maybe it was 'the more i practice, the luckier i get' syndrome.

However, as I pen this response, KH 2.0 has already pleasantly surprised me.  Firdst, Hitch not coming back and now McT off to the Gulag.  That convo I refered to KH and McT having must have been relocation focussed.  I wonder to what heights / depths  he'll carry the housecleaning ?  


HONEST !   A nybody  B ut  E dmonton

 

 

in pursuit of the McDraft sweepstakes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RapierShot said:

That's an interesting question, Fog.  We still need to see something about KGretzky's status and - hopefully - the pro scouting dept.

 

P.S.  The press release above refers to MacT as "the Canadian specialist"...wonder what they're expecting?

Higher Vodka sales for sure!

7 hours ago, bronco73 said:

and if it's KH's doing... is he planning on bringing more of his former posse over

Gawd lets hope...there is still 4 more people I would love to see replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kman23 said:

Hunter and Holland have something in common.  Their former NHL teams didn't want them as GMs.  That's what concerns me a bit about even a storied guy like KH.

 4 cups and in it's the past.  Remember some other guy won 6 and knew something about winning (yes as a player but i like to use that line whenever  I can :)  Can't deny KHs success;  yes he got lucky but you're right, maybe it was 'the more i practice, the luckier i get' syndrome.

However, as I pen this response, KH 2.0 has already pleasantly surprised me.  Firdst, Hitch not coming back and now McT off to the Gulag.  That convo I refered to KH and McT having must have been relocation focussed.  I wonder to what heights / depths  he'll carry the housecleaning ?  

I really hope Katz has given the green light to Holland...Katz has done incredible things here and the only thing that has tarnished the story has been lack of success of the team and failing to hold his friends running the team accountable... Katz is loyal to the core with friends but after more then a decade of this sideshow he may have had enough. It is time to wash it all away!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Posthugger said:

I really hope Katz has given the green light to Holland...Katz has done incredible things here and the only thing that has tarnished the story has been lack of success of the team and failing to hold his friends running the team accountable... Katz is loyal to the core with friends but after more then a decade of this sideshow he may have had enough. It is time to wash it all away!

Well apparently he has - he said many times, as did BN, that Holland has total Autonomy. Which means theoretically he answers to know one. He reports to Bob, and Bob reports to Katz, but final decisions rest with Holland. And I believe them, because even though he's a billionaire, he isn't paying Ken Holland 5 Million dollars a year to be a yes man. Holland will have to earn his money - plus I heard it's bonus laden, he won't necessarily get that money unless certain criterian is met - and if I'm agreeing to that, I would want full autonomy too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Well apparently he has - he said many times, as did BN, that Holland has total Autonomy. Which means theoretically he answers to know one. He reports to Bob, and Bob reports to Katz, but final decisions rest with Holland. And I believe them, because even though he's a billionaire, he isn't paying Ken Holland 5 Million dollars a year to be a yes man. Holland will have to earn his money - plus I heard it's bonus laden, he won't necessarily get that money unless certain criterian is met - and if I'm agreeing to that, I would want full autonomy too. 

I'm optimistic however some are reporting Mac T had this in the works before Holland was hired. I think fans need to see more house cleaning and some new people brought in to restructure operation before we can ultimately claim the OBC days are behind us.  

I know a couple people,one in the media and one very important person from the dynasty era. I reported early on that the OBC had tremendous influence and was called a conspiracy theorist ...these musical chairs were designed to buy time.

People were hired to tow the line and a couple who went against the grain were fired. I used to think Lowe was Master of the universe as my posts in 2006 can attest then I had an evening of drinks with a couple media people,a former player and this one important person from the dynasty era.... let me say it was eye opening and I could not repeat some of the things said but it did paint a picture that was 180 degrees from where I started. Stuff about Comrie and on and on...the egos that were present before it came out....and when it did it just confirmed what these gentlemen shared. The problem here was never a small market,the city or the winters...it was the management.

Until the page is fully turned and this chapter closed I will not get to excited. I will wait to see a full restructure and once that happens my full support and dollars return.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Posthugger said:

I'm optimistic however some are reporting Mac T had this in the works before Holland was hired. I think fans need to see more house cleaning and some new people brought in to restructure operation before we can ultimately claim the OBC days are behind us.  

I know a couple people,one in the media and one very important person from the dynasty era. I reported early on that the OBC had tremendous influence and was called a conspiracy theorist ...these musical chairs were designed to buy time.

People were hired to tow the line and a couple who went against the grain were fired. I used to think Lowe was Master of the universe as my posts in 2006 can attest then I had an evening of drinks with a couple media people,a former player and this one important person from the dynasty era.... let me say it was eye opening and I could not repeat some of the things said but it did paint a picture that was 180 degrees from where I started. Stuff about Comrie and on and on...the egos that were present before it came out....and when it did it just confirmed what these gentlemen shared. The problem here was never a small market,the city or the winters...it was the management.

Until the page is fully turned and this chapter closed I will not get to excited. I will wait to see a full restructure and once that happens my full support and dollars return.

 

 

I agree on both - when I first heard about it Rishaug was reporting it. Like I told Mess here and what RR said, you don't decide to pack up and move to RUSSIA overnight. I guarantee the day after PC was hired MacT started looking at options and most likely had already vetted the KHL option. Once Holland was hired he had already had that in his back pocket and most likely had the deal worked out. He was just waiting for the Condors to finish their season before he signed the deal. No way, no how, was Holland hired two weeks ago and in that two weeks MacT decided to move on and a gig in the KHL was his best opportunity. Not a chance lol 

However, I think we'll see more MacT type moves. I'm sure he wasn't the only one who put irons in the fire the day after PC was fired and I expect more 'resignations' as opposed to being outright fired. But Holland's hiring definitely has something to do with it (in terms of these guys doing it themselves).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like KH has put the head coach search on hold too, focusing on the scouts now.  Hopefully some impactful changes are made here too.

Way to go, Ken!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Sounds like KH has put the head coach search on hold too, focusing on the scouts now.  Hopefully some impactful changes are made here too.

Way to go, Ken!

I read today he's got it narrowed down - has 14 people on his list (or had) he can't interview all of them but got Hitch to weigh in (no pun intended - but eat your heart out Principe that's how it's done ;)) and narrowed it down considerably (no idea what the true number is that he's going to interview). 

I keep hearing / reading the top two are Tippett and Nelson. I guess we'll have to wait and see as I was thinking he'd be hired by this weekend. Sounds more like end of the month now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not have expected Holland to be the new GM of the Oilers but I am glad it turned out that way.  Babcock and Yzerman both benefited with their time in Detroit under Ken Holland and with a little digging it would be easy to find others.  Some have suggested that Holland simply rode a ship that was already in motion, to which I completely disagree.  It is unrealistic to think that a team could have as much success as Detroit did by simply "riding it out."  The consistent appearances in the playoffs, regular season success, even turning a guy like Dan Cleary into a solid and reliable player when it seemed as though his NHL career was over is an indication that a much higher standard of professionalism was at work than simply riding the backs of a few good players.  

Seeing that Holland has "a few good players" to start with I fully expect the Oilers to be competitive next year.  The degree of success is directly linked to how KH deals with the existing cap mess and plethora of under whelming personnel.   I do not expect to see rookies handed a roster spot because of the need to ice a complete line-up.  My largest frustration over the last decade or so has been with the development of assets which I hope and believe will be different under Ken Holland.  What I hope to see is Holland fixing the cap mess, icing an NHL caliber team that is more competitive, allowing young assets to develop in juniors and AHL respectively, young players earning a roster spot rather than being gifted a spot, and no more down-grading the team with stupid trades.        ..... wow, if that happens I might have to write more positive posts. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

I agree on both - when I first heard about it Rishaug was reporting it. Like I told Mess here and what RR said, you don't decide to pack up and move to RUSSIA overnight. I guarantee the day after PC was hired MacT started looking at options and most likely had already vetted the KHL option. Once Holland was hired he had already had that in his back pocket and most likely had the deal worked out. He was just waiting for the Condors to finish their season before he signed the deal. No way, no how, was Holland hired two weeks ago and in that two weeks MacT decided to move on and a gig in the KHL was his best opportunity. Not a chance lol 

However, I think we'll see more MacT type moves. I'm sure he wasn't the only one who put irons in the fire the day after PC was fired and I expect more 'resignations' as opposed to being outright fired. But Holland's hiring definitely has something to do with it (in terms of these guys doing it themselves).

Yes, that makes total sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, neufab said:

I would not have expected Holland to be the new GM of the Oilers but I am glad it turned out that way.  Babcock and Yzerman both benefited with their time in Detroit under Ken Holland and with a little digging it would be easy to find others.  Some have suggested that Holland simply rode a ship that was already in motion, to which I completely disagree.  It is unrealistic to think that a team could have as much success as Detroit did by simply "riding it out."  The consistent appearances in the playoffs, regular season success, even turning a guy like Dan Cleary into a solid and reliable player when it seemed as though his NHL career was over is an indication that a much higher standard of professionalism was at work than simply riding the backs of a few good players.  

Seeing that Holland has "a few good players" to start with I fully expect the Oilers to be competitive next year.  The degree of success is directly linked to how KH deals with the existing cap mess and plethora of under whelming personnel.   I do not expect to see rookies handed a roster spot because of the need to ice a complete line-up.  My largest frustration over the last decade or so has been with the development of assets which I hope and believe will be different under Ken Holland.  What I hope to see is Holland fixing the cap mess, icing an NHL caliber team that is more competitive, allowing young assets to develop in juniors and AHL respectively, young players earning a roster spot rather than being gifted a spot, and no more down-grading the team with stupid trades.        ..... wow, if that happens I might have to write more positive posts. :D

I laugh when it is suggested Holland had an easy opportunity. I look at what Lowe inherited from Sather and for a few years Lowe did quite the job as GM before it went off the rails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

holland and nicolson will probably  hire dave tippet as head coach and we are going to get the OLD team canada(worlds) guys. I dont see the value in dave tippet, i hope tortz gets fired, and we can get a shot at getting him.

I would like to see tortz light up some of the guys on the team when they have a bad game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, neufab said:

I would not have expected Holland to be the new GM of the Oilers but I am glad it turned out that way.  Babcock and Yzerman both benefited with their time in Detroit under Ken Holland and with a little digging it would be easy to find others.  Some have suggested that Holland simply rode a ship that was already in motion, to which I completely disagree.  It is unrealistic to think that a team could have as much success as Detroit did by simply "riding it out."  The consistent appearances in the playoffs, regular season success, even turning a guy like Dan Cleary into a solid and reliable player when it seemed as though his NHL career was over is an indication that a much higher standard of professionalism was at work than simply riding the backs of a few good players.  

Seeing that Holland has "a few good players" to start with I fully expect the Oilers to be competitive next year.  The degree of success is directly linked to how KH deals with the existing cap mess and plethora of under whelming personnel.   I do not expect to see rookies handed a roster spot because of the need to ice a complete line-up.  My largest frustration over the last decade or so has been with the development of assets which I hope and believe will be different under Ken Holland.  What I hope to see is Holland fixing the cap mess, icing an NHL caliber team that is more competitive, allowing young assets to develop in juniors and AHL respectively, young players earning a roster spot rather than being gifted a spot, and no more down-grading the team with stupid trades.        ..... wow, if that happens I might have to write more positive posts. :D

Me to, I think he is a good fit for the Oilers at this time. He is known as a very credible and patient hockey executive.

Realistically, with the current holes and cap situation the team is not likely to have much success the next couple of years but there is tremendous high end skill and finally a decent looking group of prospects so with a steady hand and some solid smaller moves and I think the team can be start to be successful in a couple of years, especially if in fact KH does have autonomy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...