Jump to content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
arturo

KEN HOLLAND NEW GM! 5 year deal!

Recommended Posts

On 5/17/2019 at 5:11 PM, Posthugger said:

I laugh when it is suggested Holland had an easy opportunity. I look at what Lowe inherited from Sather and for a few years Lowe did quite the job as GM before it went off the rails.

That is a very very good point PH - It's easy to 'walk in' to a good situation and stay status quo for a year, maybe two, but after that, personal changes and that's when you get exposed to what you really are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 4:11 PM, Posthugger said:

I laugh when it is suggested Holland had an easy opportunity. I look at what Lowe inherited from Sather and for a few years Lowe did quite the job as GM before it went off the rails.

the oilers back in the 90s were probably the hardest team to manage we were very lucky to have Sather. especially in the late 90s we were such a small market club, we had no big star players. Sather is probably the best GM after bowman. and no way did kevin lowe have a chance to do what sather did( after sather lefty in 2000. kevin lowe did some ok stuff , but yeah wheels fell off. after we threw everything at the cup run and we had a bit of money and the Cap era was in its first year.

The team wasent left in the greatest spot in 2000 and wasent that great when a few player left( we were a fringe team ). we had bottom 3 spent $ on players in the league(in a no cap era), we had no money to afford weighter(had to let him go(very sad) and billy guerin had to be traded for the same reason.

not saying sather did a bad job even when he left but he knew he had to keep trading guys would be stars somewhere else because we couldnt afford them. so he had to keep going after rookies and sophomores with promise and keep flipping them. The running JOKE ws the the OILERS were the NHLs official farm team. so for Kevin lowe to come in and keep doing that same system was not possible sather was just genius at spotting other teams talent and loads of experience, K lowe did what he could and almost brought us a cup, but we all knew it was only ever going to be that one cup given how the team was built and rentals at the deadline. No way we could afford to keep the team together even if we wom.

Holland on the other other the other hand does have scouting for draft talent, but he did inherit an incredible team in a big market club, from scotty bowman. are you kidding me? these guys were the golden state warriors at the time.  everyone wanted to come, players like hasek, hull and lucky luke demanded traded to the wings. had a very good scouting system and in a no cap era(when he started as GM) Detroit was one of the wealthiest teams. they had money to keep guys, players would take pay cuts just to play with them. i remember 1 year they had Cujo and hasek as a 1-2 goalies. so its not like holland built it something from nothing like the hawks( dave tallon) and whomever the Gm that gave the kings that nice stretch.

 

as for an easy time , i dont think winning a cup is easy or being a gm is(unless your the GM of any team canada).

easier time? well yes he hands down KEN HOLLAND an easier time than probably 95% of the Gm's in the league at that time.

that being said i well prepared for the oilers not going to playoffs for 2 -3 years given what PC did to us, but let see if Kenny can build a team from scratch around the best player in the league and arguable another top 5. People do have to realize this is new waters for the guy, hes only ever been used to building stacked teams, with team canada and dynasty Detroit. and lately we seen what hes been up too in detroit and well....

these are facts, and we are praying for a miracle from a guy who has experience, but never turned it around in this situation. ( i hope this miracle does come, cause we are probably the most restless and frustrated NHL fans ever right now)

so yeah i do laugh on how much easier it was to be the GM of the Detroit red wings in the later 90s/early 2000s vs the Edmonton oilers

 

 

Edited by arturo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, arturo said:

the oilers back in the 90s were probably the hardest team to manage we were very lucky to have Sather. especially in the late 90s we were such a small market club, we had no big star players. Sather is probably the best GM after bowman. and no way did kevin lowe have a chance to do what sather did( after sather lefty in 2000. kevin lowe did some ok stuff , but yeah wheels fell off. after we threw everything at the cup run and we had a bit of money and the Cap era was in its first year.

The team wasent left in the greatest spot in 2000 and wasent that great when a few player left( we were a fringe team ). we had bottom 3 spent $ on players in the league(in a no cap era), we had no money to afford weighter(had to let him go(very sad) and billy guerin had to be traded for the same reason.

not saying sather did a bad job even when he left but he knew he had to keep trading guys would be stars somewhere else because we couldnt afford them. so he had to keep going after rookies and sophomores with promise and keep flipping them. The running JOKE ws the the OILERS were the NHLs official farm team. so for Kevin lowe to come in and keep doing that same system was not possible sather was just genius at spotting other teams talent and loads of experience, K lowe did what he could and almost brought us a cup, but we all knew it was only ever going to be that one cup given how the team was built and rentals at the deadline. No way we could afford to keep the team together even if we wom.

Holland on the other other the other hand does have scouting for draft talent, but he did inherit an incredible team in a big market club, from scotty bowman. are you kidding me? these guys were the golden state warriors at the time.  everyone wanted to come, players like hasek, hull and lucky luke demanded traded to the wings. had a very good scouting system and in a no cap era(when he started as GM) Detroit was one of the wealthiest teams. they had money to keep guys, players would take pay cuts just to play with them. i remember 1 year they had Cujo and hasek as a 1-2 goalies. so its not like holland built it something from nothing like the hawks( dave tallon) and whomever the Gm that gave the kings that nice stretch.

 

as for an easy time , i dont think winning a cup is easy or being a gm is(unless your the GM of any team canada).

easier time? well yes he hands down KEN HOLLAND an easier time than probably 95% of the Gm's in the league at that time.

that being said i well prepared for the oilers not going to playoffs for 2 -3 years given what PC did to us, but let see if Kenny can build a team from scratch around the best player in the league and arguable another top 5. People do have to realize this is new waters for the guy, hes only ever been used to building stacked teams, with team canada and dynasty Detroit. and lately we seen what hes been up too in detroit and well....

these are facts, and we are praying for a miracle from a guy who has experience, but never turned it around in this situation. ( i hope this miracle does come, cause we are probably the most restless and frustrated NHL fans ever right now)

so yeah i do laugh on how much easier it was to be the GM of the Detroit red wings in the later 90s/early 2000s vs the Edmonton oilers

 

 

Some fair points. I'm expecting nothing in 19-20. Just like last year. That being said, Holland does draft well. We could be going places in another few years as our prospects rippen... If there's one guy who can put an end to this idiocy of rushing and killing countless young players careers, Ken is the man to do it!

Or he could screw up our cap like PC did... I don't know anymore man. I'm ok with the hiring and I'm glad Mac T is gone. We are still the Oilers though and that's a big enough problem as it is. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 94oildrops said:

Some fair points. I'm expecting nothing in 19-20. Just like last year. That being said, Holland does draft well. We could be going places in another few years as our prospects rippen... If there's one guy who can put an end to this idiocy of rushing and killing countless young players careers, Ken is the man to do it!

Or he could screw up our cap like PC did... I don't know anymore man. I'm ok with the hiring and I'm glad Mac T is gone. We are still the Oilers though and that's a big enough problem as it is. :(

yep, agree, he does draft well, that was about the only plus he has.   about the only thing we can look forward to is development and drafts for the next few years, i just cant believe we have the best player in the world and we have to rebuild . frustrating. I hope some how he can pawn off koskanen, lucic, broadziak at the very least to some suckers, i just hate wasting prime mcdavid years. waiting for help thats 3-5 years away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holland doesn't draft well, his team of scouts do. Holland doesn't have a team of scouts here, he has nothing to work with.......YET!

Fire everyone that  was involved in the Rheinhart trade and the Manning debacle! The Koskinen signing and Petrovic ordeal! Get rid of Gretzky and all the remaining scouts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Holland doesn't draft well, his team of scouts do. Holland doesn't have a team of scouts here, he has nothing to work with.......YET!

Fire everyone that  was involved in the Rheinhart trade and the Manning debacle! The Koskinen signing and Petrovic ordeal! Get rid of Gretzky and all the remaining scouts!

I am sure there will be changes after the draft. Our Pro scouts definitely need to be shown the door but i am not convinced the amateur scouts do. Our prospect pool hasn't looked this good in years.  (I know it is not saying much). The Condors are absolutely stacked on the blue line. 

Bear, Bouchard, Lagesson , Caleb Jones with Samorukov (Who might be the best of the group) joining the log jam next year. Lagesson being the most likely to make the jump to the NHL next year. Also can't forget about Joel Persson in Sweden who is going to be a stud. 

Forwards were a little thin this year due to injury but still have

Gambardella , Currie, Benson, Marody, Yamamoto, Polei, McLeod with Maksimov coming up the pipe next year. Add another forward that is drafted top 8 in this years draft (top 10 prospects are absolute studs to my eye) and we have even more options down there.

Not to mention our goalie pipeline looks pretty good as well with Starrett, Skinner and Rodrigue.

With Hollands reputation of developing prospects properly and Keith's surprising eye for young talent. The future just might... i repeat JUST might not be so bleak for the Edmonton Oilers. 

Edited by TeamEllis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TeamEllis said:

I am sure there will be changes after the draft. Our Pro scouts definitely need to be shown the door but i am not convinced the amateur scouts do. Our prospect pool hasn't looked this good in years.  (I know it is not saying much). The Condors are absolutely stacked on the blue line. 

Bear, Bouchard, Lagesson , Caleb Jones with Samorukov (Who might be the best of the group) joining the log jam next year. Lagesson being the most likely to make the jump to the NHL next year. Also can't forget about Joel Persson in Sweden who is going to be a stud. 

Forwards were a little thin this year due to injury but still have

Gambardella , Currie, Benson, Marody, Yamamoto, Polei, McLeod with Maksimov coming up the pipe next year. Add another forward that is drafted top 8 in this years draft (top 10 prospects are absolute studs to my eye) and we have even more options down there.

Not to mention our goalie pipeline looks pretty good as well with Starrett, Skinner and Rodrigue.

With Hollands reputation of developing prospects properly and Keith's surprising eye for young talent. The future just might... i repeat JUST might not be so bleak for the Edmonton Oilers. 

 

I agree with this. I've said it before, but there is a way through this if a few decent things happen. The baggage contracts are an issue. Maybe KH can do something there. Imagine if Puljujarvi was actually affected by the hip thing, and can make it as an NHL player. I know, big if. A decent trade and a winger or two from Bakersfield coming up. I think our D looks good for the future personally, as discussed here. Goaltending is an issue too, but we have two of the best forwards in the league and Nuge. I for one hope that a new coach can get this team playing as a team and expect better for 2019/20 than last year. 

Frankly, I'm a tad worried about McD who in interviews after Hitch was hired seemed to be dismissive of Hitch's potential impact on the team. Something like "ah well, we are professionals, we know what to do on the ice"....as if he wasn't looking forward to what Hitch had to say. Point being, that as superhuman as McD is, this team played crap hockey as a unit last year and that involves the forwards leaving the zone too early, as other's have said here.

I want to see better team play next year and a team that fights together (figuratively) every game to compete for a playoff spot. It was even possible last year into March, so don't say it's impossible to make the playoffs if a couple of good things happen. 

Hope is my new strategy.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeamEllis said:

I am sure there will be changes after the draft. Our Pro scouts definitely need to be shown the door but i am not convinced the amateur scouts do. Our prospect pool hasn't looked this good in years.  (I know it is not saying much). The Condors are absolutely stacked on the blue line. 

Bear, Bouchard, Lagesson , Caleb Jones with Samorukov (Who might be the best of the group) joining the log jam next year. Lagesson being the most likely to make the jump to the NHL next year. Also can't forget about Joel Persson in Sweden who is going to be a stud. 

Forwards were a little thin this year due to injury but still have

Gambardella , Currie, Benson, Marody, Yamamoto, Polei, McLeod with Maksimov coming up the pipe next year. Add another forward that is drafted top 8 in this years draft (top 10 prospects are absolute studs to my eye) and we have even more options down there.

Not to mention our goalie pipeline looks pretty good as well with Starrett, Skinner and Rodrigue.

With Hollands reputation of developing prospects properly and Keith's surprising eye for young talent. The future just might... i repeat JUST might not be so bleak for the Edmonton Oilers. 

I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2019 at 12:12 PM, TeamEllis said:

We agree on something. Should we like take a picture or something? 😱

Geesh, I don't know how is Tuesday looking for you? the wife is pretty bitter after the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gawd if this good news continues were are going to have to add a new word to the Oilers vocabulary....Accountability!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how Holland figured out the Pro Scouting problems in a couple of weeks, while the old guard couldn't figure it out in over 6 years.

 

  • Haha 1

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RapierShot said:

Funny how Holland figured out the Pro Scouting problems in a couple of weeks, while the old guard couldn't figure it out in over 6 years.

 

Hey man, old guard, they were busy...

Image result for drinking wine gif

  • Like 3

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RapierShot said:

Funny how Holland figured out the Pro Scouting problems in a couple of weeks, while the old guard couldn't figure it out in over 6 years.

 

Nah this just proves Kenny has it all wrong, didn't you know its all toby reider's fault

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16888f274e64cbdaccad0a235e1779aa.png

 

Holland has great history with European players, and we have 3 Swedes on our team already, plus can guarantee him more ice than CGY can.   I like our chances.


brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

16888f274e64cbdaccad0a235e1779aa.png

 

Holland has great history with European players, and we have 3 Swedes on our team already, plus can guarantee him more ice than CGY can.   I like our chances.

With better players - he has a legit shot at being our #2 LW. Not that this guy is anything special - I think of him as a replacement for Caggiula. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, weyburnoil said:

Nah this just proves Kenny has it all wrong, didn't you know its all toby reider's fault

Today I ran over my own foot while pulling a heavy cart. 

#blametobi

:lol:


image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bronco73 said:

16888f274e64cbdaccad0a235e1779aa.png

 

Holland has great history with European players, and we have 3 Swedes on our team already, plus can guarantee him more ice than CGY can.   I like our chances.

We just signed him apparently 

Edited by OilyJetFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, he’s signed.  Now we just need a few more of these signings so we don’t have to play Khaira, Yamamoto, Rieder or Brodziak.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Nice, he’s signed.  Now we just need a few more of these signings so we don’t have to play Khaira, Yamamoto, Rieder or Brodziak.

Absolutely, push out the dead weight 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be giving up on Yamamoto yet.  the other three I will be happy to see leave.  But.... had Rieder only scored 10-12 goals it would have been a completely different story


brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Famous last words..."If we could only have gotten 2 less degrees from Toby, we never would have had climate change".  Oh wait, apparently BN has posted that notice....as you were.


The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bronco73 said:

I wouldn't be giving up on Yamamoto yet.  the other three I will be happy to see leave.  But.... had Rieder only scored 10-12 goals it would have been a completely different story

Imagine if two of our wingers cored 10-12-15 goals?

Reider has avged 13 every year until 0 this year. JJK was trending up then a lousy 3 this year. Just awful. Would those 20-25 goals between just two players have made a difference in our playoff chances? We would be a lot closer that's for sure.

The good teams, their bottom 6 players pot in 10+ goals each.

Notice the bigger heavier teams in the SCF this year. Last year Washington. So PC's motto of size still works but you need mobility and smarts to go with that size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...