The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
arturo

KEN HOLLAND NEW GM! 5 year deal!

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

Oh - I never heard that or forgot. I'm sure I read (or heard) that it was the way he was exercising - specifically doing this squats wrong, that caused the issue. Wow, if it's congenital and if he isn't any better, we won't even be able to trade him - a wasted draft pick.

No, not ridiculous, though I agree that if he doesn't turn it around, then he's press box material. He is untradeable, and buying him out is ridiculous as you don't save very much in cap space to make it something  you'd even ponder. I remember a couple years back, Dustin Brown in LA was written off and he turned it around. It can happen and IMO it's all we can do is hope but it's to Milan to do that, not a coach, not a GM, not his agent. It's all on him. I just wish the NHL would have something like Football where you can terminate a deal by a certain date. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect certain play / stats from a player based on his salary. If a goalie becomes sieve all of  a sudden, a defensive dman loses a step and becomes a pylon, or a winger can't score (literally) anymore his contract should be allowed to be outright voided. I know that opens Pandora's box a bit but from a players standpoint, they would probably make more money in the long run as all they need to do is perform and owners / GM's having the luxury of terminating would most likely have them overspending even more than they do now, knowing they have an out. 

Won't happen though - I know. So yep, I hope he turns it around, like Dustin Brown did, even if only for one or even better two more seasons. Then he's got two years left, one bad year after like these last two, then you can buy him out. 

Again..... at this stage you gotta "Hope" for the Andrew Ferrence solution ..... I never advocate for buyouts.  You know that.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

SD...my sense generally is that we'll be seeing a lot of these type of "interest" reports for the foreseeable future. 

We can't afford to chase the prime players in free agency....we don't have solid hockey trade candidates (of our expendable roster) to land a winner....so we'll have to try to trick the youngsters and/or foreign players to come on board (and cross our fingers they can play at least a 4th line / 3rd pairing role). 

Oh, and then when a potential player is landed, we hope the talking heads don't do a Caggiula type trade. 

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

5 hours ago, SuperDave17 said:

yeah i agree with you, its a cheap gamble, but in all honestly its really our only play given our cap problem is the worst in the league. we have a few contracts to buy out and wait out.

5 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

Again..... at this stage you gotta "Hope" for the Andrew Ferrence solution ..... I never advocate for buyouts.  You know that.

oh i hope so, i have had enough of these sheldon souray, ryan whitney, and andrew ferance, sekera D men signing coming over with weak demeanor who were suppose to lead after coming from cup wining teams or being leaders in respective teams, and crap on us telling us our culture is bad and then not doing anything to help change but cop out as being band aids, and then years later air out dirty laundry. someone should have reminded these guys they got paid a hell of  a lot of money to do nothing. and i find it disrespectful years later to say anything, doesn't help anyone when these guys didnt do anything in the first place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arturo said:

oh i hope so, i have had enough of these sheldon souray, ryan whitney, and andrew ferance, sekera D men signing coming over with weak demeanor who were suppose to lead after coming from cup wining teams or being leaders in respective teams, and crap on us telling us our culture is bad and then not doing anything to help change but cop out as being band aids, and then years later air out dirty laundry. someone should have reminded these guys they got paid a hell of  a lot of money to do nothing. and i find it disrespectful years later to say anything, doesn't help anyone when these guys didnt do anything in the first place.

All true. However, maybe the team could get it's sht together so there are no stories like that to come out. That'd be a start. Leadership, on and off the ice. 

10 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

Well Deutch, we're stuck with him so wouldn't you rather have him become a useful player again? I certainly don't hope we spend the next 4 years paying him 6 million dollars to sit in the press box. Are you 'hoping' for that? 

14 hours ago, SuperDave17 said:

sounds like a long shot, low %: 6th round pick, 24 year old that was in the ECHL in 2017-18 before going back to Europe

9 hours ago, arturo said:

agree, Ference is one of my least favorite Oilers ever. Came here, talked big about changing the culture, blah, blah, did nothing on the ice and then complained about how bad the culture was.

Gambo has been signed. 2 yr extension. Gritty player with lots of heart. produced in the A, not much in the NHL yet. I like him. Just like Currie. Need these depth players that have some upside and we do have a few...

On 5/28/2019 at 3:24 AM, arturo said:

yeah i agree with you, its a cheap gamble, but in all honestly its really our only play given our cap problem is the worst in the league. we have a few contracts to buy out and wait out.

Hopefully there’s a huge bonus clause in his contract/offer - score just 1 goal = $100K, every goal after that an additional $50K. 

On 5/28/2019 at 7:09 AM, OilyJetFan said:

Well Deutch, we're stuck with him so wouldn't you rather have him become a useful player again? I certainly don't hope we spend the next 4 years paying him 6 million dollars to sit in the press box. Are you 'hoping' for that? 

I'm planning for it ..... because it is the most likely .... 

You plan for what IS, by finding a roster that is 6 million below the salary cap and doesn't need even one minute of him, because that IS what you have to do.

In the very minuscule chance he actually still has something in him to give, and his career isn't already over, you win.   "Hoping" for the extremely unlikely, is bereft of making sure you have the ability to compete without the extremely unlikely (like penciling Tobias Reider into the top two lines, sight unseen, with your only contingency being "hoping" that either JP or Yam is ready).  That is just plain stupid ... and what has given us the Oilers of the last 13 years.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

On 5/28/2019 at 11:36 AM, BoomnotBust said:

sounds like a long shot, low %: 6th round pick, 24 year old that was in the ECHL in 2017-18 before going back to Europe

agree, Ference is one of my least favorite Oilers ever. Came here, talked big about changing the culture, blah, blah, did nothing on the ice and then complained about how bad the culture was.

The one good thing Ferrence did, was agree to sit out the rest of his contract on the IR, rather than be a 3.5 million a year boat anchor, distraction in the dressing room.  He realized his career was over, that he was past it, that he couldn't compete in the NHL any more, and agreed to collect his paycheck from the insurance company, rather than the Oilers.

I hope Lucic has that kind of sense.  It's not perfect, but he isn't moveable.  Neither in regards to his contract, nor in regards to his current form of play (immobile).

6 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

I'm planning for it ..... because it is the most likely .... 

You plan for what IS, by finding a roster that is 6 million below the salary cap and doesn't need even one minute of him, because that IS what you have to do.

In the very minuscule chance he actually still has something in him to give, and his career isn't already over, you win.   "Hoping" for the extremely unlikely, is bereft of making sure you have the ability to compete without the extremely unlikely (like penciling Tobias Reider into the top two lines, sight unseen, with your only contingency being "hoping" that either JP or Yam is ready).  That is just plain stupid ... and what has given us the Oilers of the last 13 years.

I heard a rumor that maybe we could move him to Ottawa for Bobby Ryan - Ryan has a cheaper cap hit but cost more money, and Melnyk could care less about the cap, his concern is saving real money. Though that's after bonuses are paid (July 1 I believe). 

Problem is Chia made sure that Looch had a NMC so he'd have to be ok with it. I can't think of a worse franchise to go to then Ottawa. So doubt that happens.

Just now, OilyJetFan said:

I heard a rumor that maybe we could move him to Ottawa for Bobby Ryan - Ryan has a cheaper cap hit but cost more money, and Melnyk could care less about the cap, his concern is saving real money. Though that's after bonuses are paid (July 1 I believe). 

Problem is Chia made sure that Looch had a NMC so he'd have to be ok with it. I can't think of a worse franchise to go to then Ottawa. So doubt that happens.

As I was saying .... you plan for what is most likely (you are stuck with a 6 million dollar contract that sabotages your Cap for the remainder of the contract, without any on ice benefit).

If Looch wants to play .... he is going to need to agree to play in some other messed up hockey market with even less going for it than Edmonton (and that, only if we can find a dumber GM than PC).  If not ... oh well ... 

3 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

As I was saying .... you plan for what is most likely (you are stuck with a 6 million dollar contract that sabotages your Cap for the remainder of the contract, without any on ice benefit).

If Looch wants to play .... he is going to need to agree to play in some other messed up hockey market with even less going for it than Edmonton (and that, only if we can find a dumber GM than PC).  If not ... oh well ... 

Personally I think you have gone a tad too far, and think that Looch will contribute next year. Not sure why you think he's not even an NHL player anymore. I do. He'll come back some, I bet. Either way, there isn't much planning to do, unless he can be traded. 

Lucic is no worse than Ryan Reeves (2.75 million) who played 80 games last season. To say Lucic is going to be a permanent scratch is a ridiculous.

PS, what is up with the phone app? still cannot log on with my phone.

Edited by Yuke

The rumor is Luc to Nucks for Erikson. Been for awhile but no serious talks yet. Was on the radio.

Backes who did not do much past couple of seasons has really played well in the playoffs. Another 6 mil contract. Still can be productive as I'm sure Luc can.

50 minutes ago, WindsorOiler said:

The rumor is Luc to Nucks for Erikson. Been for awhile but no serious talks yet. Was on the radio.

Backes who did not do much past couple of seasons has really played well in the playoffs. Another 6 mil contract. Still can be productive as I'm sure Luc can.

Looch for Erikson would make me puke! Seriously WTF is the point of that? Keep Looch around, see if he wants to play, because that's all it will take to have a contribution. If there is a real trade, then take it, but this idea just means we get an older bag of pucks that can't even stand up for anything. I guarantee Erikson would do jack squat for us. 

Perhaps Erickson's contract is shorter term, and therein may be a silver lining, but that's all I can think of.

I say Looch contributes next year. (the guy should be working with the same figure skating coaches that Semenko did to smooth out his stride, over the summer.)

25 minutes ago, WHA fan said:

Looch for Erikson would make me puke! Seriously WTF is the point of that? Keep Looch around, see if he wants to play, because that's all it will take to have a contribution. If there is a real trade, then take it, but this idea just means we get an older bag of pucks that can't even stand up for anything. I guarantee Erikson would do jack squat for us. 

Perhaps Erickson's contract is shorter term, and therein may be a silver lining, but that's all I can think of.

I say Looch contributes next year. (the guy should be working with the same figure skating coaches that Semenko did to smooth out his stride, over the summer.)

Erickson might turn out OK for us playing with Connor or Leon or both on the same line. I disagree that Lucic's NHL career is over but he will clearly never be the kind of player we all wanted him to be. He declined way earlier than we expected and it's very unfortunate.

Looch will from now until the end of his NHL career be a George Laraque type of player at best. Which you know... Is fine... as long as he has the heart Big George had. Sadly, he may not. He seems too frustrated and discouraged.

7 hours ago, 94oildrops said:

Erickson might turn out OK for us playing with Connor or Leon or both on the same line. I disagree that Lucic's NHL career is over but he will clearly never be the kind of player we all wanted him to be. He declined way earlier than we expected and it's very unfortunate.

Looch will from now until the end of his NHL career be a George Laraque type of player at best. Which you know... Is fine... as long as he has the heart Big George had. Sadly, he may not. He seems too frustrated and discouraged.

The big issue with him though (as you well know) is he is severely overpaid. He's a 1.2 to 2.0 M player at best (That 2.0 would be on team not in cap trouble). For 6M a year, he must be engaged every night, every game, and people need to know he's on the ice. Goals/Assists don't matter at this point. I agree that his NHL career isn't over, but he's paid way to much money to 'float' out there like he did a lot of last season, this past season he was more engaged but clearly the lack of production got to him. He needs to straighten things out emotionally and play his style of hockey - he'll still be overpaid quite badly but he'll be a top 9 useful player again. 

The BIG issue with Lucic isn't his willingness or his attitude or any of that (it actually angers me when I see posters questioning his heart .... leading the NHL in hits, and you question his heart?) .... it is that his mobility has been on VERY visible decline since he arrived.  His performance has gone down hill the last three years quite noticeably because his body is on the decline after so many years of physical abuse and pounding.   This IS a real thing, and it happens at different age levels to different people.  We saw it with Ferrence.  With Smyth.  With Mess. With so many others.  When the body is no longer willing, the end is quick.  

Calling him a 6 million Georges Laraque is a HUGE oversell.  A 6 million Steve Macintyre (overall speed) or Luc Gazidic (lack of mobility) is more accurate.  And that is most likely to be worse this year than last .... He might be able to continue in the NHL for a season of two if he plays less, like a minute or two a night, or a much reduced game and travel schedule.  That IS what you have to prepare for.

If somehow he finds a miracle cure for body aging, like Gary Roberts did, then yeah .... okay, he might still improve a little.  This is very rare, not common.  So you can't be "hoping" or "betting" on it.  You have to prepare for the worst .... the inevitable.

17 hours ago, WHA fan said:

exactly.  Eriksson doesn't even want to play any more.  If the idea is to unload a person that is perceived to be unmotivated to play at a high level, why move him for somebody who has zero interest whatsoever in playing at ANY level.  It's a ridiculous trade idea that I wish would just go away.

I agree with Deutch.  Lucic is very motivated to play.  His problem isn't his desire.  He puts in the time and effort, in the off season he works hard to be in form.  I think we see a resurgence from Lucic this coming season.  (Yes for full disclosure I did say that last off season too lol)

Edited by bronco73
  • Like 1

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

18 hours ago, 94oildrops said:

Don't insult Big George by making comparison's to Looch.   Laraque is a perfect case in point you don't have to be a skill player to be adored by the fanbase.  Heart and character can go a long way (doesn't hurt that he was the heavyweight champ during his career, either).

36 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

He puts in the time and effort, in the off season he works hard to be in form. 

How exactly do you know this?  I heard he does alot of boxing in the off season.  Not sure why he does that because he doesn't fight anymore...plus it seems like he didn't fare well in the end of season barfight either.

Edited by oilersfaninca

1 hour ago, bronco73 said:

exactly.  Eriksson doesn't even want to play any more.  If the idea is to unload a person that is perceived to be unmotivated to play at a high level, why move him for somebody who has zero interest whatsoever in playing at ANY level.  It's a ridiculous trade idea that I wish would just go away.

I agree with Deutch.  Lucic is very motivated to play.  His problem isn't his desire.  He puts in the time and effort, in the off season he works hard to be in form.  I think we see a resurgence from Lucic this coming season.  (Yes for full disclosure I did say that last off season too lol)

yeah i totally agree , he does have the drive. but the skill set is not at hand for him anymore for him(which is very sad) but out of anyone on the team i would like him to finally bounce back. but i dont see it happening.

but if he does bounce back, you will have been the first to predict this.

40 minutes ago, oilersfaninca said:

Don't insult Big George by making comparison's to Looch.   Laraque is a perfect case in point you don't have to be a skill player to be adored by the fanbase.  Heart and character can go a long way (doesn't hurt that he was the heavyweight champ during his career, either).

How exactly do you know this?  I heard he does alot of boxing in the off season.  Not sure why he does that because he doesn't fight anymore...plus it seems like he didn't fare well in the end of season barfight either.

Oh don't you worry! Georges Laraque is one of my all time favorite players and without question my all time favorite enforcer. I also have loved Lucic. I assumed that perhaps his heart was falling but Deutch brought up some good points and he is right and it was wrong of me to say he doesn't have the heart. Whether we like it or not we are stuck with him. Nothing we can do... We can't move that contract without doing something really stupid. 

3 hours ago, oilersfaninca said:

For certain?  I don't.  However I do know that the media reports that he does, and his team mates say that he does, and that's as much as I know.  However, the converse could also be asked of you, how do you know it isn't true?  In either case Lucic is still worth more than Eriksson every day of the week.  Lucic still makes the starting roster on every team in the league, Eriksson would have a hard time getting a PTO.

• Like 1

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

Bronco, I agree with Lucic being worth more than Eriksson (that's not setting the bar very high).  However, I question Lucic's off season training.  He needs to skate skate skate....improve his skating mechanics, lateral mobility, etc.  Why he insists on boxing training is beyond me.  Until he improves his mobility, he's going to continue struggling in all aspects of his game.

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

9 hours ago, RapierShot said:

Bronco, I agree with Lucic being worth more than Eriksson (that's not setting the bar very high).  However, I question Lucic's off season training.  He needs to skate skate skate....improve his skating mechanics, lateral mobility, etc.  Why he insists on boxing training is beyond me.  Until he improves his mobility, he's going to continue struggling in all aspects of his game.

he did work on his skating, and he even lost weight for mobility issues( it was last season or the one before he did this), boxing is not his main training,  you have to just take it in that the guy is not good anymore, he can train all he wants he just does not have the hockey smarts or speed anymore, hes on a big decline.

11 hours ago, RapierShot said:

Training at Boxing isn't what you think it is.  It's NOT training to punch.  It's cardio.  It's footwork.  It's balance.  It's core mobility.  He is training, because he recognizes his needs just as much as you do, but he has a better understanding of what he needs to work at to improve than you do.

Lucic is immobile, not because of his training regimen .... it's because his BODY is done and on decline.  He uses boxing, because it has an ability to reverse aging to some degree, in a way that is less damaging to his body, less brutal, better likelihood of NOT accelerating the decline, than being on skates