The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
OilersFaithful99

winds of change

Holland may be SOLD to us, the Oiler faithful, as the wind of change, but I feel that it is just passing wind. The issue is not anyone on the Oilers bench, but upstairs. OEGroup must be replaced and their stranglehold on hockey operations in Edmonton. Yes, culpable and proven to be incapable, starting with Nichols and Lowe - too long, too little, and too late. Nothing will change, without change in the most senior leadership. Proven winners have been scouted, drafted, and prove themselves again, only when traded? Coincidence? 

Holland granted full autonomy in hockey decisions.....says the passing wind. I have good friends too, but suggest Katz might better spend his days with his buddies at home, discussing yesteryear, because if it weren't were for D.Roloson and three home grown boys in Lupul, Smyth and Pisani, of 13 years ago...we have not had a real sniff in 20 years. There's a storm brewing, and (sadly unfortunate) an ill Katz may leave us, and our Oilers will also be gone. Is there another owner for even a bargain-priced passing wind. 

Well the oil won't be gone because to get the arena they signed a commitment to the city for the next 25 years regardless of who owns them.  and they still generate revenue so there are plenty who would stand in line to be the owner.

as far as the wind and where it is coming from. I'd be willing to bet this time is different.  Katz can't stay the course with the obc running or influencing the show.   I think the chia move was required at the time (not specifically him per say but what appeared to be an outside the organization person) simply for the public perception but not much changed behind the scenes. I think it has sunk in that serious changes need to occur this time around and Holland will operate much different from chia.    But that's just my 2 nickels. (pennies are so passe)

It is day three of Hollands reign. I am sure there will be changes. What would getting rid of Lowe do? The guy has nothing to do anymore with the hockey side of things. How about you let some time go before posting such a ridiculous thread. Day three man... day three. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

Edited by TeamEllis
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 5:12 PM, OilersFaithful99 said:

...because if it weren't were for D.Roloson and three home grown boys in Lupul, Smyth and Pisani, of 13 years ago...we have not had a real sniff in 20 years...

Lupul??
Nope.

Lupul was never a factor. Heck, Lupul was never even on the roster when we had our sniff.

2 hours ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Good riddance!

Maybe he can “coach” Yakupov?

once we sign Nelson to be bench boss Yak is coming back at a bargain basement price to play 3rd line wing.  Give the player whisperer a season with him. As a budget winger he can't be worse than what we got from toby last year and instilling work ethic has always been a strong suit in todds coaching arsenal.   

10 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

I'm starting to get the feeling that he's going to look seriously at Todd Nelson too.

I really hope not. I don’t want to see any re-treads, will this franchise ever move on or will it keep bringing the past back? I’m so sick of it.

20 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I really hope not. I don’t want to see any re-treads, will this franchise ever move on or will it keep bringing the past back? I’m so sick of it.

Nelson was Detroit's farm team coach in Grand Rapids for Holland,  They both started for the organization in the same year.  I have a feeling that there is going to be some devotion and obligation there.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

I get what you’re saying but this constant regurgitation of former coaches and players never seems to end. Some want Nelson, some wanted Krueger, hell, some even want Eakins. People wanted the OBC gone for years, we finally get rid of MacT and now people talk about what a good coach he was and blah, blah, blah. I want the past in the past and some real change moving forward, not another round of shuffling the deck chairs.

23 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I get what you’re saying but this constant regurgitation of former coaches and players never seems to end. Some want Nelson, some wanted Krueger, hell, some even want Eakins. People wanted the OBC gone for years, we finally get rid of MacT and now people talk about what a good coach he was and blah, blah, blah. I want the past in the past and some real change moving forward, not another round of shuffling the deck chairs.

yup, I agree with you btw, I'm just posting how I think Holland is currently leaning.  But, I don't want to go with somebody that's already been tried.  Why go back to what didn't work in the past?    IF he does go with Nelson though we will have no choice but to support him until/unless he proves he doesn't deserve it, but my hope is that Holland seeks out a coach with NHL experience and the right coaching traits for this squad.

• Like 1

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

9 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

yup, I agree with you btw, I'm just posting how I think Holland is currently leaning.  But, I don't want to go with somebody that's already been tried.  Why go back to what didn't work in the past?    IF he does go with Nelson though we will have no choice but to support him until/unless he proves he doesn't deserve it, but my hope is that Holland seeks out a coach with NHL experience and the right coaching traits for this squad.

I agree. 17 wins in 46 games when he was here. Doesn’t seem like the best candidate for the best player in the world.

37 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Who in the world would want Eakins back!? Not people with a brain I hope. 

6 minutes ago, 94oildrops said:

No kidding... what a turd.  That guy has less personality than the garbage bag full of leaves I rake up every spring.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 94oildrops said:

Not to name names but Page 8 of ‘the next coach’ thread

8 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I get what your saying .  but to me it really is about the generation.  sure tippet is a good coach and at this point i'm sure a team of older vets would connect with him. I want to see a coach grow organically with the team and look at how sather grew with the gretzky era oil as an example.

As for our rejects   Kreuger had a mediocre team with no training camp and nelson got a very broken one from which his most reliable d man got moved. .  both got what amounted to a half season test drive. It's not rose colored glasses to say looking at the talent and situations they where given they deserved a longer look. I say nelly in particular because he was able to have consistent  success with what amounted to garbage in our farm system along with every other place he's gone  I believe he will be a successful nhl head coach and I'd be happy if it was for us. Especially because it will really irk me when we are losing to him otherwise.

As for MacT, he did get the most out of the rosters he was given. that doesn't mean it wasn't time for him to move on.  when sather quit coaching the oilers it wasn't because they weren't winning. He is one of the rare ones that simply said "my story got old" to those who where listening so he stepped aside and let a new voice take hold.  MacT overstayed that welcome  and his move upstairs wasn't as successful.  Probably why he's gone coaching again.

Bronco, as for nelson being tried and not worked.  We're not talking about bringing back haul wood chop water here. and Had the oil not won the mclotto it would have been right to stick with him.

6 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I agree. 17 wins in 46 games when he was here. Doesn’t seem like the best candidate for the best player in the world.

I think that is disingenuous. the fact that 5 of those where with mactraining wheels and the team just came off 2 astonishingly bad losing streaks . punted a good d man at the deadline and was a general tire fire. anything that approached actually playing hockey was an improvement.  the fact he tallied 17 was impressive given what had transpired prior to his arrival. If you watched those games instead of just looking at the outcomes you would at least recognize the improvement in that team which occured here.  in this case it's not about the result but about how far they progressed and the TN oilers where miles better than what he started with both on and off the ice.  It also discounts his track record at every other level of coaching.

Don't get me wrong, Ill be happy if whomever is selected is able to achieve success. Just trying to read the tea leaves.  Don't think either is a world ending bad choice but if I got to pick the contract would be inked already.

30 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Not to name names but Page 8 of ‘the next coach’ thread

I think happy was drunk, and just saying a coach on the cusp like...   he who shall not be named and others.  Funny though in that thread I did predict on the 7th MacT had threatened to quit if nelson was gonna be hired.   as the dominos fall 🙂 

8 minutes ago, Big_Fuzzy_Dice said:

I get what your saying .  but to me it really is about the generation.  sure tippet is a good coach and at this point i'm sure a team of older vets would connect with him. I want to see a coach grow organically with the team and look at how sather grew with the gretzky era oil as an example.

As for our rejects   Kreuger had a mediocre team with no training camp and nelson got a very broken one from which his most reliable d man got moved. .  both got what amounted to a half season test drive. It's not rose colored glasses to say looking at the talent and situations they where given they deserved a longer look. I say nelly in particular because he was able to have consistent  success with what amounted to garbage in our farm system along with every other place he's gone  I believe he will be a successful nhl head coach and I'd be happy if it was for us. Especially because it will really irk me when we are losing to him otherwise.

As for MacT, he did get the most out of the rosters he was given. that doesn't mean it wasn't time for him to move on.  when sather quit coaching the oilers it wasn't because they weren't winning. He is one of the rare ones that simply said "my story got old" to those who where listening so he stepped aside and let a new voice take hold.  MacT overstayed that welcome  and his move upstairs wasn't as successful.  Probably why he's gone coaching again.

Bronco, as for nelson being tried and not worked.  We're not talking about bringing back haul wood chop water here. and Had the oil not won the mclotto it would have been right to stick with him.

I think that is disingenuous. the fact that 5 of those where with mactraining wheels and the team just came off 2 astonishingly bad losing streaks . punted a good d man at the deadline and was a general tire fire. anything that approached actually playing hockey was an improvement.  the fact he tallied 17 was impressive given what had transpired prior to his arrival. If you watched those games instead of just looking at the outcomes you would at least recognize the improvement in that team which occured here.  in this case it's not about the result but about how far they progressed and the TN oilers where miles better than what he started with both on and off the ice.  It also discounts his track record at every other level of coaching.

Don't get me wrong, Ill be happy if whomever is selected is able to achieve success. Just trying to read the tea leaves.  Don't think either is a world ending bad choice but if I got to pick the contract would be inked already.

Tippett is 58, Nelson is 50, Slats was 36 when the Oilers joined the league. I don’t see how Nelson is going to ‘grow with the team’ as you state. Is the 8 year difference between him and Tippett so big that Tippett is considered a dinosaur and Nelson some student of the game? C’mon man, Slats was coaching at 36, if Nelson hasn’t made it at age 50 then why should we give him another shot. No other NHL team has hired him and you want to hire him twice. Think about that.

29 minutes ago, Big_Fuzzy_Dice said:

I think happy was drunk, and just saying a coach on the cusp like...   he who shall not be named and others.  Funny though in that thread I did predict on the 7th MacT had threatened to quit if nelson was gonna be hired.   as the dominos fall 🙂 

He must’ve been drunk lol. Another comparison of Tippett and Nelson shows Tippett has had a winning record in 11 of 14 seasons, won 50 games 3 times and took both his teams to the conference finals. Nelson has 17 wins in 46 games and that is hardly impressive, you stated it was. 

9 hours ago, Big_Fuzzy_Dice said:

Hah, I was clearly feeling a little too Happy that night, and generous in the coaching dept bc yeah I dunno about Eakins haha, though he's done a great job in the AHL with the Gulls and I do think he'll find his way back behind an NHL bench, it won't be in Edmonton. :P

Like I stated earlier, I dunno who I really want for the job bc I don't know who the right guy is. Hope Ken does though and makes his decision soon. I'm out of the loop and have no idea who the front runners really are. Does anybody?

image.png

16 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

He must’ve been drunk lol. Another comparison of Tippett and Nelson shows Tippett has had a winning record in 11 of 14 seasons, won 50 games 3 times and took both his teams to the conference finals. Nelson has 17 wins in 46 games and that is hardly impressive, you stated it was. 

the fact he was able to take the eakinsed oilers and rack up any wins at all is impressive in my book.  Consider the state of the team when Nelson took over, did you expect him to go .640 in a half season after the team had been destroyed by mismanagement decisions and a coach that had led them to 7 wins in 31 games up to that point, then craig got on it and helped them to an 0-5 run before handing over the team that was 7 - 29 with a few loser points thrown in. . Again it isn't about the end result in this case it is about the change we saw in the cohesiveness of the team and how things where being done.  players play for nelly and he is a team builder not a coach of individuals. just what the doctor ordered. .I absolutely want this guy

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/in-depth-todd-nelson/c-754475

I guess the problem with 30 years in row 17 is it doesn't let you see the bigger picture.      But again you can't seem to grasp  how the better part of a decade might change the way a person relates to those younger than themselves.   detroit beat a path to Nelsons door to get him in their farm system as a coach and he is currently an assistant in dallas.   this isn't macT with no nhl prospects here bud.  as for tippet I think that his prior experience would lead him to lean on that and to coach into his established system because he has a belief it works, someone breaking into the league will build a system around the players at hand and that is what the oil need. we already saw the round hole square peg situation play out with wrong todd and his fine toolbox full of different sized hammers.     Yes slats was younger but it was also a different era.  I'm speaking more to the concept of "you can't give a generational player an unproven coach" mentality that seems to exist now.   Nelson is coming home, the power play will catch fire and the oil will be a better team for it. I hold out hope and have the faith.  Even blind squirrels find a nut every now and then and not everything the bronze and blue do can be full oiler all the time, eventually they have to hit the right mix, even if it's by sheer luck.

3 hours ago, Big_Fuzzy_Dice said:

the fact he was able to take the eakinsed oilers and rack up any wins at all is impressive in my book.  Consider the state of the team when Nelson took over, did you expect him to go .640 in a half season after the team had been destroyed by mismanagement decisions and a coach that had led them to 7 wins in 31 games up to that point, then craig got on it and helped them to an 0-5 run before handing over the team that was 7 - 29 with a few loser points thrown in. . Again it isn't about the end result in this case it is about the change we saw in the cohesiveness of the team and how things where being done.  players play for nelly and he is a team builder not a coach of individuals. just what the doctor ordered. .I absolutely want this guy

I guess the problem with 30 years in row 17 is it doesn't let you see the bigger picture.      But again you can't seem to grasp  how the better part of a decade might change the way a person relates to those younger than themselves.   detroit beat a path to Nelsons door to get him in their farm system as a coach and he is currently an assistant in dallas.   this isn't macT with no nhl prospects here bud.  as for tippet I think that his prior experience would lead him to lean on that and to coach into his established system because he has a belief it works, someone breaking into the league will build a system around the players at hand and that is what the oil need. we already saw the round hole square peg situation play out with wrong todd and his fine toolbox full of different sized hammers.     Yes slats was younger but it was also a different era.  I'm speaking more to the concept of "you can't give a generational player an unproven coach" mentality that seems to exist now.   Nelson is coming home, the power play will catch fire and the oil will be a better team for it. I hold out hope and have the faith.  Even blind squirrels find a nut every now and then and not everything the bronze and blue do can be full oiler all the time, eventually they have to hit the right mix, even if it's by sheer luck.

All I read is hope and luck. It’s your opinion and you’re entitled. But we don’t agree.

19 hours ago, Big_Fuzzy_Dice said:

Our Power play is fine could be a bit better. Our play in our OWN end/PK is an absolute disgrace. Under Nelson how do you figure he would change that? I can tell you how Tippett would but I am genuinely curious about your answer first. 

2 hours ago, TeamEllis said:

Our Power play is fine could be a bit better. Our play in our OWN end/PK is an absolute disgrace. Under Nelson how do you figure he would change that? I can tell you how Tippett would but I am genuinely curious about your answer first. 

Our power play is fine?   really.  you typed that with a straight face?  subtract the mcDria show and the oilers potted 20 ppg last season

as for how I figure our defense would change It would be through a 5 man effort not 2.5 man defense i'm simply going to lift a quote from green here

“One thing about Nelly is how prepared he is going into games,” Green said. “He does his homework on the opposition better than I’ve ever seen. We knew exactly what we had to do to win each and every night, whether it was 5-on-5 or how we were going to kill penalties and especially what we were going to do on the power play. The attention to detail was incredible, and if we needed to make an adjustment, we did and everyone was on the same page because of how it was communicated to us.”

He has historically been able to take teams with a less than stellar blueline and produce good team defense. The whole team plays the system and succeeds because of it. The man builds a winning culture and puts people in positions to succeed.

18 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

All I read is hope and luck. It’s your opinion and you’re entitled. But we don’t agree.

Yes I know, I used many multi syllable words .  It's not surprising hope and luck where the only ones you could read. .Your position that nelly only had a .446 win percentage after taking over a decimated eakinized oilers team half way through a season isn't good enough but book ending a .476 with a .341 and a .427 in full seasons with the yotes makes Tiippet the ideal candidate because those teams where not very good. it's nonsense. a quick stop at hockey db shows a whole lot more "out of playoffs" written in red on tippets record than that of nelsons. he also has a much large collection of eliminated in round 1 on the list vs nelsons 2nd and 3rd round exits.   there's also the single "won a championship" listed next to tippets name yet nelly has 3. regardless of the league.  fact of the matter is Tippet hasn't done jack crap in the nhl except be consistently middling. In both of his NHL gigs he started out strong and the teams only got worse after that.   You are right , we disagree, you want to give a guy who hasn't accomplished anything with his NHL opportunity a chance to replicate his efforts and I want to give a guy who hasn't had a legit  nhl opportunity a shot to recreate what he has accomplished at every other level of the game, which is win. 

Edited by Big_Fuzzy_Dice

3 hours ago, Big_Fuzzy_Dice said:

Our power play is fine?   really.  you typed that with a straight face?  subtract the mcDria show and the oilers potted 20 ppg last season

as for how I figure our defense would change It would be through a 5 man effort not 2.5 man defense i'm simply going to lift a quote from green here

“One thing about Nelly is how prepared he is going into games,” Green said. “He does his homework on the opposition better than I’ve ever seen. We knew exactly what we had to do to win each and every night, whether it was 5-on-5 or how we were going to kill penalties and especially what we were going to do on the power play. The attention to detail was incredible, and if we needed to make an adjustment, we did and everyone was on the same page because of how it was communicated to us.”

He has historically been able to take teams with a less than stellar blueline and produce good team defense. The whole team plays the system and succeeds because of it. The man builds a winning culture and puts people in positions to succeed.

Yes I know, I used many multi syllable words .  It's not surprising hope and luck where the only ones you could read. .Your position that nelly only had a .446 win percentage after taking over a decimated eakinized oilers team half way through a season isn't good enough but book ending a .476 with a .341 and a .427 in full seasons with the yotes makes Tiippet the ideal candidate because those teams where not very good. it's nonsense. a quick stop at hockey db shows a whole lot more "out of playoffs" written in red on tippets record than that of nelsons. he also has a much large collection of eliminated in round 1 on the list vs nelsons 2nd and 3rd round exits.   there's also the single "won a championship" listed next to tippets name yet nelly has 3. regardless of the league.  fact of the matter is Tippet hasn't done jack crap in the nhl except be consistently middling. In both of his NHL gigs he started out strong and the teams only got worse after that.   You are right , we disagree, you want to give a guy who hasn't accomplished anything with his NHL opportunity a chance to replicate his efforts and I want to give a guy who hasn't had a legit  nhl opportunity a shot to recreate what he has accomplished at every other level of the game, which is win. 

There are candidates that could do a good job and there are probably people we have not heard about that could be up for the job.  I think the bigger picture now is to get a good enough coach to work at implementing solid systems that will help the team gel with all the roster changes that are going to be taking place over the next couple of years. Getting the best fit for the coach would help that process and save us a little rebuilding time, but the main thing is for our GM to re-adjust our roster which will give our coach a team to coach. If it were to come down to Tippet or Nelson I would be fine with either for the time being.

BFD you are very convincing in this post and that quote from Green was very insightful. I came away from your post agreeing with your arguments and opinions, something that has disturbingly happened quite a few times over the last couple of seasons. After the debates we used to have who saw that coming, certainly not me, but not much surprises me anymore? I was siding slightly towards Nelson from the options I have heard so far, but you have made me think Nelson just might be the right choice.

4 hours ago, Big_Fuzzy_Dice said:

In 19 years the only one to give Nelson an NHL head coaching job is MacTavish. The same guy that hired Eakins. Is it a coincidence that no other GM has given him a shot? Holland’s biggest priority is finding a coach, you really think he’s going to give a guy with virtually no NHL experience the job? The first major decision he makes and he’s going with a nobody? You’re hilarious, wake up.

2 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

In 19 years the only one to give Nelson an NHL head coaching job is MacTavish. The same guy that hired Eakins. Is it a coincidence that no other GM has given him a shot? Holland’s biggest priority is finding a coach, you really think he’s going to give a guy with virtually no NHL experience the job? The first major decision he makes and he’s going with a nobody? You’re hilarious, wake up.

MacT didn't give Nelson anything.  he begrudgingly called him up because MacT had made an embarrassment out of the oilers with eakins and had zero options but to call up the guy from the farm.  And when Nelson started succeeding at putting humpty dumpty back together again it was like nails on macT's chalkboard, so much so craig actually tried to link Todds success with eakins coaching. . Go back and read the post game newspaper columns during Nelsons run here. Every one of them notes improvements in the team and had they not drawn the golden ticket Nelson would have kept that job instead of being replaced by wrong todd.    several seasons as an nhl assistant is not virtually no NHL experience and a winning record in the A tells us he can be successful as a coach. I'd rather a nobody than a has been every day of the week, twice today. 

50 minutes ago, Big_Fuzzy_Dice said:

MacT didn't give Nelson anything.  he begrudgingly called him up because MacT had made an embarrassment out of the oilers with eakins and had zero options but to call up the guy from the farm.  And when Nelson started succeeding at putting humpty dumpty back together again it was like nails on macT's chalkboard, so much so craig actually tried to link Todds success with eakins coaching. . Go back and read the post game newspaper columns during Nelsons run here. Every one of them notes improvements in the team and had they not drawn the golden ticket Nelson would have kept that job instead of being replaced by wrong todd.    several seasons as an nhl assistant is not virtually no NHL experience and a winning record in the A tells us he can be successful as a coach. I'd rather a nobody than a has been every day of the week, twice today. 

How is 17 wins in 46 games succeeding? It’s not hard to improve on Eakins, Eakins was 7-29. If 17 wins in more than half a season is your bar for success I’m glad your not the GM. Tippett is no has been, he’s 7 years older than Nelson and has a helluva better resume. Two conference finals and a Jack Adams vs 17 wins.... we’re done