The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
Messrules11

MacTavish Signs coaching deal with KHL Locomotiv

His management record is deeply flawed, but there's no denying MacTavish was a tremendous coach. Hopefully, he's able to find enough success in Russia to earn a head coaching gig somewhere on this side of the pond in 2021. Best of luck to him and his family.

• Like 1

Surprised to hear the news, but we had to expect some shoes to drop eventually. 

Good luck MacT - hope it's a nice change.

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

49 minutes ago, EternalFrost said:

His management record is deeply flawed, but there's no denying MacTavish was a tremendous coach. Hopefully, he's able to find enough success in Russia to earn a head coaching gig somewhere on this side of the pond in 2021. Best of luck to him and his family.

A tremendous coach? We missed the playoffs in 5 of his 8 years, were bounced in the first round twice and the year we went to the finals we had Pronger and played the trap. MacT’s only claim to fame was that he could win a face-off. 

This certainly comes as a surprise . He was a much better coach than GM . Good for him to see the writing on the wall , remove himself at the right time and pursue something new that goes along with one of his strengths .  He's definitely a survivor

His gamble on Dallas Eakins turned out to be a big mistake , his major downfall . I hope this gamble , going back to coaching in the KHL ,  proves to kick start his coaching career . 

• Like 1

Great news just because it represents moving on, at least in part, from the OBC era. Nice to get him out of the front office and Holland to have room to bring in his own guys. 

I will say this for MacT: he was a better coach than executive and I am surprised he never got another head coaching job in the NHL after Edmonton, maybe in the future still

14 minutes ago, BoomnotBust said:

Great news just because it represents moving on, at least in part, from the OBC era. Nice to get him out of the front office and Holland to have room to bring in his own guys. 

I will say this for MacT: he was a better coach than executive and I am surprised he never got another head coaching job in the NHL after Edmonton, maybe in the future still

I agree. He was the best coach we had during the Lowe era. Don't hate the guy but he wasn't a good manager. He will find success outside the NHL. Guaranteed! 

3 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

A tremendous coach? We missed the playoffs in 5 of his 8 years, were bounced in the first round twice and the year we went to the finals we had Pronger and played the trap. MacT’s only claim to fame was that he could win a face-off. 

His teams topped 90 points 4 times, missed the playoffs by 2 points in 2001-02 & 2003-04 and 3 points in 2007-08. 4 of his seasons were pre-cap where the Oilers had a payroll of $25m in 2000-01, $24m in 01-02, $27.9m in 02-03, and $33m in 03-04. The Stars, whom the Oilers faced in the playoffs in 2 of those 4 seasons, had payrolls of $50m, $48m, $69.5m & $68.7m. Their roster included Hull, Modano, Nieuwendyk, Zubov & Belfour. MacTavish's best players pre-cap were Weight (1 season), Smyth, Smith, Comrie, Marchant, Carter, York, Salo and Brewer. He had superstar players in only 2 seasons (Weight in 00-01, Pronger in 05-06). Other than those names, the most skilled player he coached throughout the decade was Hemsky. The vast majority of the players he coached were meat and potato grinders. Despite this, his teams had a record above .500 in 7 of 8 seasons, and made the playoffs or were within 3 points, in 6 of 8 seasons. That's pretty darn impressive.

2 hours ago, EternalFrost said:

His teams topped 90 points 4 times, missed the playoffs by 2 points in 2001-02 & 2003-04 and 3 points in 2007-08. 4 of his seasons were pre-cap where the Oilers had a payroll of $25m in 2000-01, $24m in 01-02, $27.9m in 02-03, and $33m in 03-04. The Stars, whom the Oilers faced in the playoffs in 2 of those 4 seasons, had payrolls of $50m, $48m, $69.5m & $68.7m. Their roster included Hull, Modano, Nieuwendyk, Zubov & Belfour. MacTavish's best players pre-cap were Weight (1 season), Smyth, Smith, Comrie, Marchant, Carter, York, Salo and Brewer. He had superstar players in only 2 seasons (Weight in 00-01, Pronger in 05-06). Other than those names, the most skilled player he coached throughout the decade was Hemsky. The vast majority of the players he coached were meat and potato grinders. Despite this, his teams had a record above .500 in 7 of 8 seasons, and made the playoffs or were within 3 points, in 6 of 8 seasons. That's pretty darn impressive.

So you’re saying he missed the playoffs in 5 of 8 years. Yeah, that’s impressive.

So you're saying there's a chance ....

one thing i liked about McT;  the day before he got fired, and i never found out if he said this because he knew he was getting fired, or because he didn't care if he got fired and this news bite did the trick, but I will paraphrase him here:

We used to  not have the skill to control the center of the ice;  but we played big and tough and controlled the boards and when teams played us they paid a price for every point they got.  Now, we no longer are big and tough, we still don't have the skill to control the centre of the ice, and when teams come in here they come in lickin their chops.

Boom, gone the next day.  I alwatys admired McT for finally calling it like it was.  There was lots of spec whether or not he would be back and why the Oilers had gone downhlll so badly, etc, and he had the cohones to tell the damn truth.  Obviously that didn't , and still doesn't fit into Oiler m.o.  

Anyways, good on McT to accept that he was on the way out or else frozen out, and to take on a new challenge.  Maybe he'll take Eakins along as as assistant and they can take the K by swarm :) 

HONEST !   A nybody  B ut  E dmonton

in pursuit of the McDraft sweepstakes...

9 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

MacT signed 2 year contract to coach Locomotiv. Atta boy Holland!

Not Holland - this takes weeks, if not months. My bet is MacT started putting irons in the fire the day PC was let go. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if a few more (like Howson) resign and take another job elsewhere too. Saves them from being 'fired'. 

Best wishes to Mac T.  I applaud his effort here and truly believe he did try with all he had to improve this team. I think the writing was on the walls years ago at the presser when he stated the failures are because they won the cups 20 years previous...I almost fell off my chair...Right then i knew he is in this too deep and it definitely is time for him to move on.  I don't care if the franchise allowed this to appear Mac T moved on rather then firing him...bottom line is this is a great first step to accountability...I can think of at least three or four more who should all of a sudden find opportunities elsewhere...  Get R done and Clean house!

if Lowe and Howson go as well, I hope i don't end up to far away after doing all those cartwheels!

Edited by Posthugger

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

Not Holland - this takes weeks, if not months. My bet is MacT started putting irons in the fire the day PC was let go. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if a few more (like Howson) resign and take another job elsewhere too. Saves them from being 'fired'. 

I seriously doubt MacT had any desire to leave all his buddies and head for Russia before Holland arrived. 3 weeks is plenty of time to find work in the mob owned KHL. Hitch was informed he wasn’t in the plans on day 1, my guess is MacT was allowed to save face and find work elsewhere but make no mistake this was Holland pushing the buttons.

1 hour ago, Messrules11 said:

I seriously doubt MacT had any desire to leave all his buddies and head for Russia before Holland arrived. 3 weeks is plenty of time to find work in the mob owned KHL. Hitch was informed he wasn’t in the plans on day 1, my guess is MacT was allowed to save face and find work elsewhere but make no mistake this was Holland pushing the buttons.

Maybe but from what I'm hearing this was in the works for awhile. You could be right, but the KHL isn't run like a some schlock league. It's like the NHL in a way. All managers and coaches go through a process, just like here. They aren't hired with no interview, they aren't hired because of buddies, and they certainly aren't fired over Skype. Oh, ummm wait a minute..... oops. 

LOL, but seriously, would you move to Russia without thinking long and hard? I think he had this setup and was working on it for awhile. You're right in terms of Holland's hire probably finalized his decision. Do you think if KG was the guy and promised him he'd keep his position that he'd still have gone to Russia coach? I don't think that, but I think he had it there 'just in case' and when Holland was hired he was like " I hope it's not as cold there as it is here" lol. 

3 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Maybe but from what I'm hearing this was in the works for awhile. You could be right, but the KHL isn't run like a some schlock league. It's like the NHL in a way. All managers and coaches go through a process, just like here. They aren't hired with no interview, they aren't hired because of buddies, and they certainly aren't fired over Skype. Oh, ummm wait a minute..... oops. 

LOL, but seriously, would you move to Russia without thinking long and hard? I think he had this setup and was working on it for awhile. You're right in terms of Holland's hire probably finalized his decision. Do you think if KG was the guy and promised him he'd keep his position that he'd still have gone to Russia coach? I don't think that, but I think he had it there 'just in case' and when Holland was hired he was like " I hope it's not as cold there as it is here" lol. 

I think your points are spot on.

5 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

I don’t think so. Number one he was under contract to the Oilers and therefore legally bound to fulfill it. Secondly if his contract expired he’s most likely to be contacted by the club requesting his service, not the other way around. Is it really that hard to make a decision when there are no other suitors? Especially when Holland likely gave him a time frame before he had to publicly fire him. It’s all a smoke screen to get him out of the organization while saving face. It’s all too easy to see.

Odd that someone with this much history in Edmonton as a player and staff ... that nothing is said on the website about it? Usually they put something up at the slightest news like someones got a hangnail and not a thing on MacT leaving for Russia.

6 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

I don’t think so. Number one he was under contract to the Oilers and therefore legally bound to fulfill it. Secondly if his contract expired he’s most likely to be contacted by the club requesting his service, not the other way around. Is it really that hard to make a decision when there are no other suitors? Especially when Holland likely gave him a time frame before he had to publicly fire him. It’s all a smoke screen to get him out of the organization while saving face. It’s all too easy to see.

So you honestly think it took him all of two weeks to go there? Mess - re-read your answer and think about it for second. Doesn't the contract expired June 30th? I'm pretty sure that's how they all run. In other words, he's still under contract. So not sure what you are saying. 

No, there's no way in this or any other universe, that someone will, in 24 hours have an interview, be signed, and move halfway around the world to a country with a totally different culture than here. Mess, this wasn't a whim. This has been in the works for weeks, probably months. The only thing is contract stops him in doing is negotiating with another NHL club. It does not stop anyone from talking to another league. It does prevent them from signing with another team in another league, but I'm sure Holland and Katz were more than happy to terminate his contract so he could sign there once he brought it to them. I do agree that if he didn't do that deal, he still wouldn't be here July 1. 

15 hours ago, Posthugger said:

if Lowe and Howson go as well, I hope i don't end up to far away after doing all those cartwheels!

Yes, hopefully they become front office executives of MacT's KHL team. 

2 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

So you honestly think it took him all of two weeks to go there? Mess - re-read your answer and think about it for second. Doesn't the contract expired June 30th? I'm pretty sure that's how they all run. In other words, he's still under contract. So not sure what you are saying. 

No, there's no way in this or any other universe, that someone will, in 24 hours have an interview, be signed, and move halfway around the world to a country with a totally different culture than here. Mess, this wasn't a whim. This has been in the works for weeks, probably months. The only thing is contract stops him in doing is negotiating with another NHL club. It does not stop anyone from talking to another league. It does prevent them from signing with another team in another league, but I'm sure Holland and Katz were more than happy to terminate his contract so he could sign there once he brought it to them. I do agree that if he didn't do that deal, he still wouldn't be here July 1. 

I looked him up on cap friendly and as far as his management career went he always changed titles in mid April, which leads me to believe contracts change with titles at that time.The fact he wasn’t renewed before Holland signed and was still here leads me to believe he was sticking around to learn his fate. I said nothing about 24hrs but I’m sure he’s more than capable of making a decision in a few weeks. 

8 hours ago, Tanksauce said:

Odd that someone with this much history in Edmonton as a player and staff ... that nothing is said on the website about it? Usually they put something up at the slightest news like someones got a hangnail and not a thing on MacT leaving for Russia.

HALLELUJAH!!!!!  THE FREE RIDES MIGHT FINALLY BE COMING TO AN END!!!!

NEXT: HOWSON.

Thank you to whomever is responsible for this wonderful news.

One string of the puppet snipped.

Red wine stocks are about to plummet during this breakup.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

I looked him up on cap friendly and as far as his management career went he always changed titles in mid April, which leads me to believe contracts change with titles at that time.The fact he wasn’t renewed before Holland signed and was still here leads me to believe he was sticking around to learn his fate. I said nothing about 24hrs but I’m sure he’s more than capable of making a decision in a few weeks. 

Agreed - Holland has been here for two weeks. Like I said, his irons were in the fire before the Holland hiring. Once Holland was hired, well he already vetted the place and most likely went into hard negotiatons. I'm not saying Holland wasn't the catalyst, he most definintely was, but Holland didn't fire him, he didn't need to. That's the only point I'm making. When Holland was hired, MacT had this in his hip pocket and went all out at that point. He didn't put his name out there the day Holland was announced, it already was. 

Now we gotta clean up the rest of the village idiots. The sad part though, is it won't take a summer to fix. We need one or two dmen, we need three or for wingers, and we need a goalie, and we have no money. I don't think we do much next year. Though, bear in mind I'm wrong a lot more than I'm right ;)

48 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

Agreed - Holland has been here for two weeks. Like I said, his irons were in the fire before the Holland hiring. Once Holland was hired, well he already vetted the place and most likely went into hard negotiatons. I'm not saying Holland wasn't the catalyst, he most definintely was, but Holland didn't fire him, he didn't need to. That's the only point I'm making. When Holland was hired, MacT had this in his hip pocket and went all out at that point. He didn't put his name out there the day Holland was announced, it already was. 

Now we gotta clean up the rest of the village idiots. The sad part though, is it won't take a summer to fix. We need one or two dmen, we need three or for wingers, and we need a goalie, and we have no money. I don't think we do much next year. Though, bear in mind I'm wrong a lot more than I'm right ;)

At this point I'm Happy to see someone who can steer this ship instead of having 3 or 4 people who know about winning all tugging at the wheel at once. 

Good luck to MacDiddy with the Locomotiv! Time to move on from the Oil, wish him well in the KHL.:)

image.png

14 minutes ago, HappyHappy said:

Good luck to MacDiddy with the Locomotiv! Time to move on from the Oil, wish him well in the KHL.:)

and with that said, McTavish coaches in a different league internationally, thus this thread will be moved to the international hockey forum.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

good luck to MacT in Russia. Word came down today that Duane Sutter has been shown the door.

In my previous incarnation here, I was Apples&Hay, with over 10,000 posts...I'm back, baby!

"We have to believe in Free Will, we have no choice!