The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
arturo

and Dave Tippet is our New Head Coach.

Hmmm.:rolleyes:..Not really sold on Tippett but....the desert varmints did own us year after year, so that gots to count for something!?....:th_shrug:

Ultimately, what the team needs is a coach who's a great motivator ! ala Ted Nolan, Ralph Krueger; the kind of coach who will bring out the best in a player.... Can Tippett do that? Vee vaits and see!

And, did the players have a say in the hiring of Tippett?   What if the vast majority of them don't like him ? like some players didn't seem to like DE's coaching?  Are we gonna waste a few precious years of McD's years as an Oiler?   :th_shrug:  

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

img-168569-m.jpg

On 5/26/2019 at 2:47 PM, 94oildrops said:

I don't see how a coaching change does anything... How many coaches have we had since 06?? Whether it be Scotty Bowman himself or Ronald McDonald, in my eyes it doesn't matter who the next coach it. The team needs a major roster improvement first and foremost. 

😎👍

img-168569-m.jpg

On 5/24/2019 at 8:57 AM, WindsorOiler said:

Can say McD and Drai did the same under Hitch.

To me Tippett brings less than Hitch. Tippett may relate better to younger players, Hitch has won, and plenty.

They wanted to go into a new direction, better be the right choice. The above two players deserve the playoffs and a cup. Two top 5 players on the same team, they deserve more.

Kinda this.....:rolleyes:

img-168569-m.jpg

According to my Secret Squirrels, the word is that Tippett is looking for an AirBnB while he's here.

Just how bad is our reputation for coach turnovers anyway????

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

24 minutes ago, oilersfaninca said:

Are they really giving him a 5 year deal?

I think it is a 3 year deal.

5 hours ago, Big_Fuzzy_Dice said:

I can't say i'm totally sold but he did roll through the interview well.  I'd say the biggest "selling point" was the 3 year deal.  That puts some onus on him to perform for sure.  Things are looking up though, Holland is at least invested and I believe he is moving back to the area which says a lot about his level of commitment vs what we saw from the chia and wrong todd hires. Let's see if Tippett follows suit.

You missed the best part - it's for less than 3M a year - yes you heard that right. LESS than 3M - or about a million less than Krueger (who's won absolutely nothing as a HC). You may think that's insignificant, but it tells me right off the top we won't be seeing any 4M or 6M contracts to players with NMC's when they aren't even worth half that. I still say PC never even negotitated with agents - they gave him a proposal and PC said "uh, yeah, sure, ok". 

3 hours ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

Hmmm.:rolleyes:..Not really sold on Tippett but....the desert varmints did own us year after year, so that gots to count for something!?....:th_shrug:

Ultimately, what the team needs is a coach who's a great motivator ! ala Ted Nolan, Ralph Krueger; the kind of coach who will bring out the best in a player.... Can Tippett do that? Vee vaits and see!

And, did the players have a say in the hiring of Tippett?   What if the vast majority of them don't like him ? like some players didn't seem to like DE's coaching?  Are we gonna waste a few precious years of McD's years as an Oiler?   :th_shrug:  

C2G - you know absolutely nothing about Dave Tippett. I suggest you go to team1260 and listen to Gregors interview with Shane Doan. Once you've heard it, feel free to comment. And Since Doan was Tippett's captain and played under him for 8 years, I think he's more than qualified to answer that question. 

2 hours ago, oilersfaninca said:

Are they really giving him a 5 year deal?

Where do you get your info from lol? It's a 3 year deal for less than 9 million total. That's how you do it!

Edited by OilyJetFan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RapierShot said:

According to my Secret Squirrels, the word is that Tippett is looking for an AirBnB while he's here.

Just how bad is our reputation for coach turnovers anyway????

Is that an airport bed and breakfast? He’s been in town one day, do your squirrels expect him to plop down a half mil on a home in that time? 

Edited by Messrules11

Coffee is gone now too...

Hope Tippett can get the best out of our roster and we make the right moves

As per my plan, one of the young D is slated to play, maybe even two next season. Holland tends to over ripen but guys like Jones is ready for some sheltered minutes and PP time. Sam, Bouch, Bear, Lag, Persson.

Pretty bright future on D

Need some wingers. If we can get them we have 3 solid lines with 3 solid centers. No reason why Drai can't play C, if he gets some players to play with that is.

New coach,new GM,solid swede signing...some old wood leaving franchise...I'm optimistic. The franchise have had some real good coaches here so i don't expect this to be a shocking turnabout but if he stays around a few years that stability could be the big pay off. I think the Nygard signing was a testament that players see opportunity here and i hope this also includes Proven NHL players...ultimately Holland and Tippet carry a lot of respect throughout the league so i think players will want to come and teams will be willing to conduct meaningful discussions. Some of the OBC are gone but I real think they need to continue and have them all far ,far away from this franchise to show the hockey world we are open for business.

The key now is the support players and youth that can step in and how much of the dead weight can be moved from the roster... 

Overall I like the vision Holland and Tippet preach...sounds like they understand today's game and  with it will come the new culture. Reasonable assessments of competing every night with hopes of a playoff spot... no lets get our rings sized now and have a parade..no announcements of Bouchard winning the Norris trophy before he has played 50 NHL games.

so far so good. 

Reading a lot about how Tippet is another "defensive" "structural" style of coach. I think people make WAY too much of this topic. You know what good defensive structure is called? Hockey. Stanley cup winning hockey. 

The Oilers of the cup days had so much offensive talent that you could just call that the system. Slats system was probably 'go score some more goals boys'. 

Other than that, there has never been a successful team that didn't have a good structural system and even they probably did, we just didn't notice. I specifically remember watching Detroit back in the day and thinking about how great they played as a team. - That requires a defensive contribution from the offensive players, yes even the superstars. 

Most observers only notice the fast flashy scoring, and not the structure that allows those fast players to get out of the zone with the puck quickly. So many great offensive plays start with a good D taking the puck off an opponent by, you know, playing defense, or a good backcheck by a forward causing a turnover. When the play gets turned around with Yzerman, or McD scoring another beauty, everyone forgets the first part of the play, and remembers the flash. 

Reading all these articles about how the league has "moved on" from the "heavy hockey" makes it sound like a conscious decision the "league" made. The league hasn't done anything. Players evolve and there are more fast players today than before perhaps, that's it. It's not like "the league" or conference decided one day 'you know what? I'm tired of winning with these big guys, I'm going to throw some speedy "not heavy" guys in the mix and see what happens." No, the speedy guys show up, more teams have them, other's can't keep up and bam, the "league has moved on". Coming at issues from a mistaken premise means you end up wasting your time thinking, or planning or talking about nonsense.

You would have to be world class stupid to 'build a system' that stymies the speed of the fastest player in the world. Tippet doesn't strike me as being mentally challenged. Worrying about that is nonsense IMO. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WHA fan said:

Reading a lot about how Tippet is another "defensive" "structural" style of coach. I think people make WAY too much of this topic. You know what good defensive structure is called? Hockey. Stanley cup winning hockey. 

The Oilers of the cup days had so much offensive talent that you could just call that the system. Slats system was probably 'go score some more goals boys'. 

Other than that, there has never been a successful team that didn't have a good structural system and even they probably did, we just didn't notice. I specifically remember watching Detroit back in the day and thinking about how great they played as a team. - That requires a defensive contribution from the offensive players, yes even the superstars. 

Most observers only notice the fast flashy scoring, and not the structure that allows those fast players to get out of the zone with the puck quickly. So many great offensive plays start with a good D taking the puck off an opponent by, you know, playing defense, or a good backcheck by a forward causing a turnover. When the play gets turned around with Yzerman, or McD scoring another beauty, everyone forgets the first part of the play, and remembers the flash. 

Reading all these articles about how the league has "moved on" from the "heavy hockey" makes it sound like a conscious decision the "league" made. The league hasn't done anything. Players evolve and there are more fast players today than before perhaps, that's it. It's not like "the league" or conference decided one day 'you know what? I'm tired of winning with these big guys, I'm going to throw some speedy "not heavy" guys in the mix and see what happens." No, the speedy guys show up, more teams have them, other's can't keep up and bam, the "league has moved on". Coming at issues from a mistaken premise means you end up wasting your time thinking, or planning or talking about nonsense.

You would have to be world class stupid to 'build a system' that stymies the speed of the fastest player in the world. Tippet doesn't strike me as being mentally challenged. Worrying about that is nonsense IMO. 

Yep - fans that 'complain' about this don't have a clue and aren't even worth reading or listening to.

I'll cap this:

ALL COACHES COACH DEFENSIVE HOCKEY - ALL OF THEM

To say Tippett coaches this is just plain stupid and shows what little  you know about the game. 

Not one coach showed Gretzky, Lemieux, or McDavid how to score goals at the pro level. Not one. 

And it doesn't matter if the coach's last name is Bowman, Nelson, Krueger, Tippett, or Tchaikovsky - they will ALL COACH DEFENSE and DEFENSIVE SYSTEMS. That's what coaches do. That's what defines them. 

It's unbelievable actually. And quickly becoming a pet peeve of mine (hence the rant). And I love your last point too - I already brought that up in another thread. Why would any person who is even being considered a junior coach want to stymie offensive players? None would. I think some fans just want the shiny (George Burnett) new (George Burnett) toy (George Burnett) coaching us. 

BTW - look up George Burnett, a shiny new toy - see how well that shiny new toy did. Lol. I'm very happy with Tippett, always liked his teams and how they played. He's a damn good coach, and he's signed for 3 years at less than 3M a season- what more could fans want? 

Anyway - great post WHA  love it. I was going to write something similar, right down to Slats who was NOT a good coach, he wasn't bad but he wasn't good either. He did exactly what you say he did. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Yep - fans that 'complain' about this don't have a clue and aren't even worth reading or listening to.

I'll cap this:

ALL COACHES COACH DEFENSIVE HOCKEY - ALL OF THEM

To say Tippett coaches this is just plain stupid and shows what little  you know about the game. 

Not one coach showed Gretzky, Lemieux, or McDavid how to score goals at the pro level. Not one. 

And it doesn't matter if the coach's last name is Bowman, Nelson, Krueger, Tippett, or Tchaikovsky - they will ALL COACH DEFENSE and DEFENSIVE SYSTEMS. That's what coaches do. That's what defines them. 

It's unbelievable actually. And quickly becoming a pet peeve of mine (hence the rant). And I love your last point too - I already brought that up in another thread. Why would any person who is even being considered a junior coach want to stymie offensive players? None would. I think some fans just want the shiny (George Burnett) new (George Burnett) toy (George Burnett) coaching us. 

BTW - look up George Burnett, a shiny new toy - see how well that shiny new toy did. Lol. I'm very happy with Tippett, always liked his teams and how they played. He's a damn good coach, and he's signed for 3 years at less than 3M a season- what more could fans want? 

Bathrooms. Lots of them.

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

46 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

Bathrooms. Lots of them.

No matter how this season goes ...... this is the most important answer.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

On 5/28/2019 at 12:53 PM, Messrules11 said:

Excellent, that’s 3 down 

lol, yeah cause coffey was a huge problem??

On 5/28/2019 at 2:50 PM, Coffey2Gretzky said:

no, hes pretty well liked by players. apparently shown a lot of respect, but its irrelevant because none of that turned into a cup or even a ticket to the dance.

it got him 2 conference finals 

8 playoff appearances

6 missed playoffs

(last 5 seasons in a row missed playoffs)

in  14 seasons

so all that respect really has not translated into where it matters the most. Sounds nice he can be friends with his players though.

55 minutes ago, arturo said:

lol, yeah cause coffey was a huge problem??

He wasn’t doing anything, this franchise needs to move on from the dynasty years. 

On 5/26/2019 at 2:47 PM, 94oildrops said:

I don't see how a coaching change does anything... How many coaches have we had since 06?? Whether it be Scotty Bowman himself or Ronald McDonald, in my eyes it doesn't matter who the next coach it. The team needs a major roster improvement first and foremost. 

Are you saying stick with Hitch? Was never an option.

I'm not sure how many coaches we have had since 06, if you are curious you should look it up though.

This is a DT coaching thread, hence why I posted my coaching comments here, on coaches, and DT being ours. lol.

I disagree the team needs a major roster improvement. Tweaking yup, but overhaul nope. We got some eggs close to hatching on the farm.

Patience.:ph34r:

Edited by HappyHappy
spellimg

image.png

Just now, Messrules11 said:

He wasn’t doing anything, this franchise needs to move on from the dynasty years. 

hes not in any position to do any damage like bob , or mactavish. so hes not really a gotcha target to say 3 down.

1 hour ago, arturo said:

no, hes pretty well liked by players. apparently shown a lot of respect, but its irrelevant because none of that turned into a cup or even a ticket to the dance.

it got him 2 conference finals 

8 playoff appearances

6 missed playoffs

(last 5 seasons in a row missed playoffs)

in  14 seasons

so all that respect really has not translated into where it matters the most. Sounds nice he can be friends with his players though.

Looking around over the years, these things are cyclical. Watch, now that Detroit is stacked with young upcoming talent, apparently, they'll make Yzerman and the coach look good. Hard to take a bag of crap (poor scouting), like the Coyotes and take them to the cup, even if you are Scotty Bowman. 

It seems our system has improved, especially in Dmen so maybe the GM and owner can give this coach something to work with over the next couple of years. 

1 minute ago, arturo said:

hes not in any position to do any damage like bob , or mactavish. so hes not really a gotcha target to say 3 down.

Apparently you’re a Coffey fanboy, that’s fine, but if he’s not part of the solution then he’s part of the problem. This franchise is starting to clean house, after 12 of 13 years without success don’t you think it’s time? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyHappy said:

I'm not sure how many coaches we have had since 06, if you are curious you should look it up though.

This is a DT coaching thread, hence why I posted my coaching comments here, on coaches, and DT being ours. lol.

I disagree the team needs a major roster improvement. Tweaking yup, but overhaul nope. We got some eggs close to hatching on the farm.

I've said nothing about Hitch. I was aware he wasn't coming back but even if he was I don't think it would matter.

If you disagree with me on the fact that we don't need to make a drastic change that's OK. Making minor changes COULD be what we need but it means we likely won't make the playoffs for a couple years... Unless you expect McDavid and Drai to score 60 goals each. 

Edited by 94oildrops

3 hours ago, HappyHappy said:

Including Tippet?   That number would be 9.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

3 hours ago, 94oildrops said:

I've said nothing about Hitch. I was aware he wasn't coming back but even if he was I don't think it would matter.

If you disagree with me on the fact that we don't need to make a drastic change that's OK. Making minor changes COULD be what we need but it means we likely won't make the playoffs for a couple years... Unless you expect McDavid and Drai to score 60 goals each. 

I don't expect anything, and I respect your capital letters. 👍

Edited by HappyHappy

image.png

3 hours ago, bronco73 said:

Including Tippet?   That number would be 9.

Must be the coaches.:rolleyes:

image.png

14 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

Apparently you’re a Coffey fanboy, that’s fine, but if he’s not part of the solution then he’s part of the problem. This franchise is starting to clean house, after 12 of 13 years without success don’t you think it’s time? 

yeah coffey was a great defense man. he just got here last year  and was not paert of any of the organizations hire up GM/CEOor oilers running, so he really is part of them problem over the last 14 years? give me a break. sound like you are just looking for someone to blame with zero idea who still in this, only guy that had influence(from dynasty years and that is gone ) is mac T.

you still have no idea that not much has changed, bob is still in his position, k lowe is still around,  so yeah, going to blame a guy or apparently part of the problem going back 14 years. whos been around for 1 season , whos job was on ice player development in training camp. yeah i bet. please, tell me more how bill ranford or grant fuhr are putting. hex on us from a far next. point your gun at some real targets. seriously .

14 hours ago, WHA fan said:

Looking around over the years, these things are cyclical. Watch, now that Detroit is stacked with young upcoming talent, apparently, they'll make Yzerman and the coach look good. Hard to take a bag of crap (poor scouting), like the Coyotes and take them to the cup, even if you are Scotty Bowman. 

It seems our system has improved, especially in Dmen so maybe the GM and owner can give this coach something to work with over the next couple of years. 

Yzerman will look good regardless, the guy can draft and find talent. id say one the best new guys in this new era. this being a what have you done for me lately league, if you look at what yzerman has done compared to detroit since stevie Y became GM of the lightening, yzmerman has done way more than holland. yzermsn almost won the cup and has a healthy roster too look at. literally bottom 5-7 d men could play top line d line for oilers and get more points. the one thing that lightening has been missing is the proper coach to lead them.

arizona will always be a joke, that whole analytics trying to use the same variables in a sport like hockey compared to baseball, a stationary sport, is just stupid. but they went all in and have nothing to show for it, i agree with you tippet had a bad team. but ours is no better at the moment

and scotty bowman would never have a bad team to coach, he was also the GM remember, and when he wasent he was an assistant and literally had as much pull as the GM.

Our D prospects have definitely improved, i agree with you, but wont be ready for a while. Tippet is no Savior or turn around guy he can only coach to whats in front  of him and has not been a coach to get more out of them(shown by teams coached), hes a friend coach not a push you coach.

i think our drafting system has definitely improved i agree with you, our drafting has probably been among the worst in the league the last 15 years. and i do hope all pro and amateur scouts are cleaned house.

but prepare for no playoffs for 2-3 years until we figure out what to do with all the bad contracts PC got us under, in Koskanen(over priced and too long), russel(too long) lucic(omg), maning(shoudnt be here), sekera(band aid overpaid and for too long) ext.

22 minutes ago, arturo said:

yeah coffey was a great defense man. he just got here last year  and was not paert of any of the organizations hire up GM/CEOor oilers running, so he really is part of them problem over the last 14 years? give me a break. sound like you are just looking for someone to blame with zero idea who still in this, only guy that had influence(from dynasty years and that is gone ) is mac T.

you still have no idea that not much has changed, bob is still in his position, k lowe is still around,  so yeah, going to blame a guy or apparently part of the problem going back 14 years. whos been around for 1 season , whos job was on ice player development in training camp. yeah i bet. please, tell me more how bill ranford or grant fuhr are putting. hex on us from a far next. point your gun at some real targets. seriously .

I don’t care if he was here for one year, what did he do? What coaching experience did he bring? For 500k, he did jack. Our defence was horrible last year. How much offence did they bring? Maybe 25 goals combined? Yeah Coffey sure helped that bunch, for 500k.

12 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I don’t care if he was here for one year, what did he do? What coaching experience did he bring? For 500k, he did jack. Our defence was horrible last year. How much offence did they bring? Maybe 25 goals combined? Yeah Coffey sure helped that bunch, for 500k.

hes not an executive, if you look at the guys with influence its the scouting staff, headed up by bob green, bobby N as the president, keith gretzky assistant GM, even wayne is an executive, so is kevin lowe, these are the guys who have actually been here a while and have done.

yeah cofee didnt do much, but again thats not his job, it was just to help minor league players( in traing camp) like jones develop. which he actually did help jones, he got jones to shorten his stick a learn and changed his game a bit.  but in the grand scheme no its not much because hes not at executive level

blaming coffey is like blaming joey moss they have nothing to do with executive decisions. like the  guys previously mentioned, thats who makes the oilers  decisions that effect the organization in very profound ways. if anyone needs fingers pointed at. its who keeps hiring incompetent GM's and coaches year after year and is still here, its the guy who keeps the same scouts with little return and thats BOBBY.

Edited by arturo