The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
arturo

and Dave Tippet is our New Head Coach.

5 minutes ago, arturo said:

hes not an executive, if you look at the guys with influence its the scouting staff, headed up by bob green, bobby N as the president, keith gretzky assistant GM, even wayne is an executive, so is kevin lowe, these are the guys who have actually been here a while and have done.

yeah cofee didnt do much, but again thats not his job, it was just to help minor league players( in traing camp) like jones develop. which he actually did help jones, he got jones to shorten his stick a learn and changed his game a bit.  but in the grand scheme no its not much because hes not at executive level

blaming coffey is like blaming joey moss they have nothing to do with executive decisions. like the  guys previously mentioned, thats who makes the oilers  decisions that effect the organization in very profound ways. if anyone needs fingers pointed at. its who keeps hiring incompetent GM's and coaches year after year and is still here, its the guy who keeps the same scouts with little return and thats BOBBY.

Can you not figure this out? He got Jones to cut his stick? That’s your argument? Wow man.

Holland has been here 3 weeks and MacT, Sutter, Coffey and Hitch are out, it’s called a culture change and there’s more to come. But keep your short sighted narrative, like most of your comments you don’t know jack.

1 hour ago, Messrules11 said:

Can you not figure this out? He got Jones to cut his stick? That’s your argument? Wow man.

Holland has been here 3 weeks and MacT, Sutter, Coffey and Hitch are out, it’s called a culture change and there’s more to come. But keep your short sighted narrative, like most of your comments you don’t know jack.

what culture change man its more of the same, can you not figure this out, how many times have we been told this by the same snake oil sales man,  hitch was here 60 games, coffee here 1 season and its not an argument. do you really think they were the problem over a 14 year span? mac T and ill give you sutter, really being the only guys gone who are higher ups who left or pushed out.

culture change will not happen until bobby N and k lowe are  gone man sorry to bust your bubble but the incompetence starts and ends with him. when hes the top guy under katz. yeah i bet more is to come, but getting rid of coffee, i dont see as a organization altering move, because again,  hes not in any postilion of decision making.

you  clean house when you have this problem, how many GMs and coaches have been under bobby N and k lowe since they have been in power? do you even know?  have you thought that far along? what makes you think this is any different, you are being played. sure coffee being a name to grab onto because of his playing careers, i dont care if hes gone or stays, but its just to make people like you feel better that the old boy club are getting pushed out, he was an easy sacrifice that means nothing. not until bob, kevin and our scouts and executives are out will we ever start to improve.

and by they way in the last 10 years we have had 5 GMs, does that sound like a  competent CEO and president in bobby and kevin? thats the argument, these are the guys that are the problem they hire everyone and and will continue to influence. but keep believing a different outcome. and short sighted, you must be easily manipulated to believe anything is really changing. have you been watching the oilers longer than a few years? i mean really ? you Have to have seen things, its the same guys same level of circus.

oh and such a culture change they also decided to keep keith gretzky around the assistant GM,(another large problem)  sound like a whole lot of change. same guys in charge different day.

Edited by arturo

Trent Yawney and Manny Vivieros are out as assistants. Seems like Tippett is getting the courtesy of picking his own assistants. Or maybe it's Holland going scorched earth on the whole thing...

Interesting, either way 

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

1 hour ago, arturo said:

what culture change man its more of the same, can you not figure this out, how many times have we been told this by the same snake oil sales man,  hitch was here 60 games, coffee here 1 season and its not an argument. do you really think they were the problem over a 14 year span? mac T and ill give you sutter, really being the only guys gone who are higher ups who left or pushed out.

culture change will not happen until bobby N and k lowe are  gone man sorry to bust your bubble but the incompetence starts and ends with him. when hes the top guy under katz. yeah i bet more is to come, but getting rid of coffee, i dont see as a organization altering move, because again,  hes not in any postilion of decision making.

you  clean house when you have this problem, how many GMs and coaches have been under bobby N and k lowe since they have been in power? do you even know?  have you thought that far along? what makes you think this is any different, you are being played. sure coffee being a name to grab onto because of his playing careers, i dont care if hes gone or stays, but its just to make people like you feel better that the old boy club are getting pushed out, he was an easy sacrifice that means nothing. not until bob, kevin and our scouts and executives are out will we ever start to improve.

and by they way in the last 10 years we have had 5 GMs, does that sound like a  competent CEO and president in bobby and kevin? thats the argument, these are the guys that are the problem they hire everyone and and will continue to influence. but keep believing a different outcome. and short sighted, you must be easily manipulated to believe anything is really changing. have you been watching the oilers longer than a few years? i mean really ? you Have to have seen things, its the same guys same level of circus.

oh and such a culture change they also decided to keep keith gretzky around the assistant GM,(another large problem)  sound like a whole lot of change. same guys in charge different day.

Do you have a clue about what your talking about? I don’t think you do. BN has been here for as long as Chiarelli has so he’s on his 2ND GM now. Lowe has been on the entertainment side for years and he isn’t going anywhere. You say the same crap over and over and yet never produce any facts to back it up. Kretzky, while I’m not a fan, has proven he can scout, maybe with Sutter gone that’s where he’ll end up. Holland is not done with his management decisions yet. Wayne owns a share and definitely isn’t going anywhere so get used to it. Maybe you should just go back to whining about Lucic, clearly everything else is over your head.

5 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

Trent Yawney and Manny Vivieros are out as assistants. Seems like Tippett is getting the courtesy of picking his own assistants. Or maybe it's Holland going scorched earth on the whole thing...

Interesting, either way 

Any word on Gulatzan?

1 minute ago, Messrules11 said:

Do you have a clue about what your talking about? I don’t think you do. BN has been here for as long as Chiarelli has so he’s on his 2ND GM now. Lowe has been on the entertainment side for years and he isn’t going anywhere. You say the same crap over and over and yet never produce any facts to back it up. Kretzky, while I’m not a fan, has proven he can scout, maybe with Sutter gone that’s where he’ll end up. Holland is not done with his management decisions yet. Wayne owns a share and definitely isn’t going anywhere so get used to it. Maybe you should just go back to whining about Lucic, clearly everything else is over your head.

Any word on Gulatzan?

dont know if you read correctly? i said kevin lowe and bob N. you must be a bobby N fan boy but whatever. and BN is on his 3rd(PC, KG KH). and under kevin, kevin was a GM who  hired tambo and  mac T, which make 3. and between the two of them 6 GMs. so read correctly i said it above, but in the end more key guys are staying.

who cares about assistant coaches, they should all go, but we all knew they were a stop GAP, i dont know if you understand that. but firing guys who were here the last year proves nothing.

firing guys bobby N, keith gretzky, bob green, dustin schartz(who some how has been here longer than nmost ) executives, scott howsen this entire page of scouts below

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/team/scouting-staff

thats a culture change, not scape goating guys who were here for 1 season. why dont you just jump on the band wagon that everything is toby reiders fault because its the same thing blame the stop gap 1 season or less guys for 14 years, you make no sense.

and yes i would throw kevin lowe in as well, maybe he can finally bring someone in better than drew remada and find a better DJ at games because he cant do either right.

1 hour ago, arturo said:

I think Bob Nicholson & Kevin Lowe are both happy with the hiring of Ken Holland & Dave Tippet . Because they can now retreat to the background , do minimal work and collect a regular pay check . 

There have been some positive steps taken organizationally , you need to give the new regime a chance before you go spouting off about the past . 

25 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Any word on Gulatzan?

That Glen Gulutzan’s name was not mentioned above suggests that last season’s top assistant has survived the purge and is still in the mix under Tippett. In that scenario he will provide some continuity in a staff that has seen considerable upheaval in the last year and a bit. To recap, McLellan’s assistants Jim Johnson and Ian Herbers were let go last spring while Jay Woodcroft was reassigned to become the head man in Bakersfield, where he replaced Gerry Fleming. 53 weeks ago today, Gulutzan, Yawney and Viveiros were announced as new assistants. Then of course Todd McLellan himself got fired in November, replaced by interim coach Ken Hitchcock whose coaching duties lapsed at season’s end.

So much for stability in the coaching ranks, as the Oilers had enjoyed in the first three years of McLellan’s reign. Worth noting that Tippett will be the EIGHTH head man during the career of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the longest-serving Oiler who just turned 26.

8 minutes ago, billpayor said:

I think Bob Nicholson & Kevin Lowe are both happy with the hiring of Ken Holland & Dave Tippet . Because they can now retreat to the background , do minimal work and collect a regular pay check . 

There have been some positive steps taken organizationally , you need to give the new regime a chance before you go spouting off about the past . 

yeah i agree with you , i fully understand the holland hiring, your right they would like to hide in th back, as well. Katz is not looking to good, and looks like it easier for him just to hand over all control to holland if something were to happen. but it doesent make it the best one for edmonton.

and spouting off about the past, bill the argument is about this being a culture change, its not its a farce,  and the past is relevant, so who are you to say what i can and can not say its a message board.

and yeah i can say my opinion just like you bill. and positive steps taken? these are steps that had to be made, its not like we are getting kicked out of the first round of playoffs year year and need to change a few guys. its we have only made the playoffs once in years

we did this because the whole organization has problems in every department. and had to be done. it was out of the fans telling the oilers we want a change and enough is enough.

Edited by arturo

17 minutes ago, arturo said:

yeah i agree with you , i fully understand the holland hiring, your right they would like to hide in th back, as well. Katz is not looking to good, and looks like it easier for him just to hand over all control to holland if something were to happen. but it doesent make it the best one for edmonton.

and spouting off about the past, bill the argument is about this being a culture change, its not its a farce,  and the past is relevant, so who are you to say what i can and can not say its a message board.

and yeah i can say my opinion just like you bill. and positive steps taken? these are steps that had to be made, its not like we are getting kicked out of the first round of playoffs year year and need to change a few guys. its we have only made the playoffs once in years

we did this because the whole organization has problems in every department. and had to be done. it was out of the fans telling the oilers we want a change and enough is enough.

The fans had nothing to do with it. The results continually force the changes. There was no more b******* and moaning this time than there has been leading up to all the other regime and personnel changes. If we keep losing, there will be more change and the fans will support it again.

Edited by Fogolin2

19 minutes ago, arturo said:

Say what you want . I'll stop reading your posts . Thanks for coming out .

1 minute ago, Fogolin2 said:

The fans had nothing to do with it. The results continually force the changes. There was no more b******* and moaning this time than there has been leading up to all the other regime and personnel changes. If we keep losing, there will be more change and the fans will support it again.

i dont know what people are expecting, more losing is going to happen for a while, we wont make playoffs for sure next year,maybe even 3 years. PC left us in a very bad spot, and we didnt hire any wizards or a winning coach.

i would like to actually know what people think is going to happen next year or even 3 years from now.

1 minute ago, billpayor said:

Say what you want . I'll stop reading your posts . Thanks for coming out .

best thing you have ever said,

People are STILL going on about Lowe? Good grief. He's out of hockey ops already. Get over it. There is no OBC conspiracy. He works primarily on the business side of OEG/Katz Group and their worldwide investments and operations, and he's also a consultant for Vivo Resorts in Mexico. The small amount of stuff he does on the hockey side is PR work, such as putting together the celebration for the 84-85 Oilers last February. That's really it.

Wayne Gretzky is a PR guy who does some mentorship/recruiting for the team. Coffey was a part-time skills coach. MacTavish had a guaranteed paycheck anyway, so Katz kept him on to get his money's worth before his contract expired this summer. Keith Gretzky worked his way up in the Coyotes & Bruins organizations and a lot of the players he drafted are big contributors for the Bruins right now, such as Pastrnak, Debrusk, Krug, Heinen, and Carlo. He was hired as the assistant GM job, not because Wayne is his brother, but because he's good at his job.

Nicholson did foul up the original GM & coach search, though Chiarelli and McLellan were arguably the #2 candidates available behind only McPhee and Babcock, and probably would have gotten the jobs after an extensive search anyway. That was a mistake, but Katz is the one who let Chiarelli and McLellan continue to dig the hole deeper, rather than cutting them loose last summer. The guy who signs the paychecks gets the final say.

Honestly, I don't think it matters if the entire hockey ops department was fired and replaced today, people would still find something to complain about.

• Thanks 2

Holland and Tippet as a tandem are as good a combination as anyone could have hoped for.  I was never completely sold on TM and definitely not PC.  The attitude, experience, and track record of Holland and Tippet should turn the Oilers into a playoff team.  If not, I may as well just give up on hockey altogether.  The hires this off-season so far have exceeded my expectations.

2 hours ago, EternalFrost said:

People are STILL going on about Lowe? Good grief. He's out of hockey ops already. Get over it. There is no OBC conspiracy. He works primarily on the business side of OEG/Katz Group and their worldwide investments and operations, and he's also a consultant for Vivo Resorts in Mexico. The small amount of stuff he does on the hockey side is PR work, such as putting together the celebration for the 84-85 Oilers last February. That's really it.

Wayne Gretzky is a PR guy who does some mentorship/recruiting for the team. Coffey was a part-time skills coach. MacTavish had a guaranteed paycheck anyway, so Katz kept him on to get his money's worth before his contract expired this summer. Keith Gretzky worked his way up in the Coyotes & Bruins organizations and a lot of the players he drafted are big contributors for the Bruins right now, such as Pastrnak, Debrusk, Krug, Heinen, and Carlo. He was hired as the assistant GM job, not because Wayne is his brother, but because he's good at his job.

Nicholson did foul up the original GM & coach search, though Chiarelli and McLellan were arguably the #2 candidates available behind only McPhee and Babcock, and probably would have gotten the jobs after an extensive search anyway. That was a mistake, but Katz is the one who let Chiarelli and McLellan continue to dig the hole deeper, rather than cutting them loose last summer. The guy who signs the paychecks gets the final say.

Honestly, I don't think it matters if the entire hockey ops department was fired and replaced today, people would still find something to complain about.

What the heck is all this there ET - a post that is well thought out, makes sense, and provides facts!!! You realize where you are right? I'm going back to read Art's posts, makes much more sense ;)

Good post my friend 👍

3 hours ago, EternalFrost said:

This all makes sense, so good luck with the torch n pitchfork folks

14 hours ago, arturo said:

Yzerman will look good regardless, the guy can draft and find talent. id say one the best new guys in this new era. this being a what have you done for me lately league, if you look at what yzerman has done compared to detroit since stevie Y became GM of the lightening, yzmerman has done way more than holland. yzermsn almost won the cup and has a healthy roster too look at. literally bottom 5-7 d men could play top line d line for oilers and get more points. the one thing that lightening has been missing is the proper coach to lead them.

arizona will always be a joke, that whole analytics trying to use the same variables in a sport like hockey compared to baseball, a stationary sport, is just stupid. but they went all in and have nothing to show for it, i agree with you tippet had a bad team. but ours is no better at the moment

and scotty bowman would never have a bad team to coach, he was also the GM remember, and when he wasent he was an assistant and literally had as much pull as the GM.

Our D prospects have definitely improved, i agree with you, but wont be ready for a while. Tippet is no Savior or turn around guy he can only coach to whats in front  of him and has not been a coach to get more out of them(shown by teams coached), hes a friend coach not a push you coach.

i think our drafting system has definitely improved i agree with you, our drafting has probably been among the worst in the league the last 15 years. and i do hope all pro and amateur scouts are cleaned house.

but prepare for no playoffs for 2-3 years until we figure out what to do with all the bad contracts PC got us under, in Koskanen(over priced and too long), russel(too long) lucic(omg), maning(shoudnt be here), sekera(band aid overpaid and for too long) ext.

I hope you are wrong about the 2-3 years thing. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure Scotty wasn't the GM when he ruled the league in Montreal...but that team was stacked too. 

22 hours ago, WHA fan said:

I hope you are wrong about the 2-3 years thing. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure Scotty wasn't the GM when he ruled the league in Montreal...but that team was stacked too. 

in detroit, when he got 3 cups he was the GM, and even when he wasent the official GM this guy was so smart, his idea to bring all the russians together to win back to back cups in detroit. Sergei Fedorov, Viacheslav Fetisov, Vladimir Konstantinov, Vyacheslav Kozlov and Igor Larionov.

and not to discount his montreal cups but an 18 team league in the 70s vs a 26 and 30 team league when he won the detroit cups, i put a bit more onus on those cups

and yeah i hope im wrong about the 2-3 years too, but the cap numbers are too much to overcome, with mediocre, minor league, band aids and KHL players taking up too many key positions

Edited by arturo

On 5/31/2019 at 4:23 PM, OilyJetFan said:

What the heck is all this there ET - a post that is well thought out, makes sense, and provides facts!!! You realize where you are right? I'm going back to read Art's posts, makes much more sense ;)

Good post my friend 👍

you are far to infatuated with name dropping me. but whatever get you on the board right?

8 hours ago, arturo said:

you are far to infatuated with name dropping me. but whatever get you on the board right?

Nah, not at all. I find your posts entertaining Art. Why? Because they are fiction. Non-Fiction makes for boring, ho-hum reading. And by 'fiction' I mean that it's your slanted opinion on things. For instance, you want Kevin Lowe done, when it's  well known FACT (not Fiction) that he's had absolutlely nothing to do with the Edmonton Oilers in terms of personal - as in drafting, trades, who is sent down, who is scouted, etc etc - since PC was hired. PC did say when he was hired he (PC) would be crazy not to elicit KLowe's advice on certain matters, especially when he first took over, but asking for advice from someone who knew the roster vs that person still pulling the strings is a totally different animal. How do I know it's fact? Because, it's fact (not fiction) that a Klowe HATED NMC's and NTC's in contracts. IIRC he only signed one person to one - Chris Pronger, and look how that turned for us/him! Now fast foward to the PC years, he handed them out like candy. Mic Drop. Done. 

55 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

Nah, not at all. I find your posts entertaining Art. Why? Because they are fiction. Non-Fiction makes for boring, ho-hum reading. And by 'fiction' I mean that it's your slanted opinion on things. For instance, you want Kevin Lowe done, when it's  well known FACT (not Fiction) that he's had absolutlely nothing to do with the Edmonton Oilers in terms of personal - as in drafting, trades, who is sent down, who is scouted, etc etc - since PC was hired. PC did say when he was hired he (PC) would be crazy not to elicit KLowe's advice on certain matters, especially when he first took over, but asking for advice from someone who knew the roster vs that person still pulling the strings is a totally different animal. How do I know it's fact? Because, it's fact (not fiction) that a Klowe HATED NMC's and NTC's in contracts. IIRC he only signed one person to one - Chris Pronger, and look how that turned for us/him! Now fast foward to the PC years, he handed them out like candy. Mic Drop. Done. 

Everyone has their own opinion with PC and his NMC, NTC gifting. His problem (IMO) was not the amount of these clauses but the "who" received them. Compare his choices with the other teams here. https://www.thefourthperiod.com/no-trade-clauses.

Note: All the NMCs PC gave were to UFAs

PS, I have Arturo on ignore but sometimes I do read his posts but then again I sometimes put on ice cube on a bad tooth just to see if the pain is real.

14 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

good point. Had not considered this angle.

Jonathan Willis: Have to wonder with Dave Tippett now being the Edmonton Oilers coach would it change their view on Tobias Rieder. Tippett was Rieder’s coach when he had his three best seasons.

for two way minimum contract it might 

Edited by Yuke
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yuke said:

Everyone has their own opinion with PC and his NMC, NTC gifting. His problem (IMO) was not the amount of these clauses but the "who" received them. Compare his choices with the other teams here. https://www.thefourthperiod.com/no-trade-clauses.

PS, I have Arturo on ignore but sometimes I do read his posts but then again I sometimes put on ice cube on a bad tooth just to see if the pain is real.

hmmm good find. Makes one wonder now why rumors of Krug/Faulk coming here never materialized! Also, interesting (but not surprising) that Maroon has an 8 team list and coincidentally There's 7 Canadian teams (I wonder who the US team is)? Reason why I think it's all the Canadian teams is because of the deal he signed there, which was super cheap. He lives in the US so the tax implications would most likely be too much for him to make that contract worth while (though if he doesn't 'live' here I wonder how much Canadian tax if any he'd have to pay). I bet the US team was the Devils lol. 

15 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

good point. Had not considered this angle.

Jonathan Willis: Have to wonder with Dave Tippett now being the Edmonton Oilers coach would it change their view on Tobias Rieder. Tippett was Rieder’s coach when he had his three best seasons.

Who knows, it could work.

I'm just really hoping that they are setting the bar quite a bit higher when they are looking at ways to improve our roster.

32 minutes ago, Yuke said:

Haha, that was a gooder Yuke

49 minutes ago, mrtea said:

Who knows, it could work.

I'm just really hoping that they are setting the bar quite a bit higher when they are looking at ways to improve our roster.

We're shopping in the scratch'n'dent bin. If it's cheap, and the player is willing, it's an option.

I would still be happier if Scott Howson had been given his walking papers.  He has done nothing but fail as an NHL executive, and the franchises he has been a part of have been amongst the messiest and most poorly run in NHL history.

How he keeps himself employed is beyond belief.

But, as for the rest, .... Way to go Holland.  Excellent that Tippet has been given full reign of his own staff too. .... things looking to be headed in the right direction.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

4 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

again cherry picking points to make no sense. again go back and read, im speaking from the start of kevin lowe being gm and president to  when PC being GM as a time line. again make up stuff and pat yourself on the back. but yeah keep going on your crush with me, its probably the most interesting thing you post on the boards. because you keep looking for points that no one is countering or an original thought, but yeah keep talking about me and you have to much time on your hands for this man crush.

oh and love how you think all you post is fact, why do you tell me again how kosk is a great goalie and we should all be patting him on the back and telling him he great and things will get better, lol yeah total facts bud that's clearly not an opinion.

Edited by arturo

On 5/31/2019 at 2:08 PM, arturo said:

i dont know what people are expecting, more losing is going to happen for a while, we wont make playoffs for sure next year,maybe even 3 years. PC left us in a very bad spot, and we didnt hire any wizards or a winning coach.

i would like to actually know what people think is going to happen next year or even 3 years from now.

best thing you have ever said,

Arturo, if you have not yet got the message that you are becoming a pain in the backside yet, then I will say it,  "you are becoming a pain in the backside". 

Like others on here, I don't appreciate your attitude, and would be thankful of anyone letting me know how to put a know all like yourself on ignore.   I have tried but couldn't find a way so to do.  Any suggestions how to achieve this and rid myself of having to read the crap you post would be most welcome.  

Edited by Blackhawk216

1 hour ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Arturo, if you have not yet got the message that you are becoming a pain in the backside yet, then I will say it,  "you are becoming a pain in the backside". 

Like others on here, I don't appreciate your attitude, and would be thankful of anyone letting me know how to put a know all like yourself on ignore.   I have tried but couldn't find a way so to do.  Any suggestions how to achieve this and rid myself of having to read the crap you post would be most welcome.  

hit the ignore, and move on buddy. you have better things to do than worry about what other people are saying, dont invest to much emotion in it. otherwise bring up a point about the oilers.  dunno what to tell you man, if you have had the time to cry to me that you dont like what i have to say, you could have spent same amount of time ignoring it all.

5 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

I would still be happier if Scott Howson had been given his walking papers.  He has done nothing but fail as an NHL executive, and the franchises he has been a part of have been amongst the messiest and most poorly run in NHL history.

How he keeps himself employed is beyond belief.

But, as for the rest, .... Way to go Holland.  Excellent that Tippet has been given full reign of his own staff too. .... things looking to be headed in the right direction.

dont know how hes still around or why he was brought in. I remember him being from the blue jackets why they were just god awful. i dont think he ever was around when they finally made playoffs. but yeah on the same page. waiting for dustin swartz walking papers as well next, i think it makes sense that he would be next, if we are at assistant coaches already and have passed the  executive firings.