The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
arturo

and Dave Tippet is our New Head Coach.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:08 PM, arturo said:

i dont know what people are expecting, more losing is going to happen for a while, we wont make playoffs for sure next year,maybe even 3 years. PC left us in a very bad spot, and we didnt hire any wizards or a winning coach.

i would like to actually know what people think is going to happen next year or even 3 years from now.

No playoffs next year for sure. But I expect some more roster moves. And attempts to dump lucic, Russel, sekera or koskinen. Obviously at least 2 have to go This year. I expect a good draft. But I think we fall backwards in the standings for the next 2 years. And maybe a 3rd if we haven't dumped these guys yet. 

I hear talks about bring ty rattie or even jujar  back. I think this would be a mistake. This year. I hope some more executives go and certain goalie coach.lol

2 hours ago, Douggyweighter39 said:

No playoffs next year for sure. But I expect some more roster moves. And attempts to dump lucic, Russel, sekera or koskinen. Obviously at least 2 have to go This year. I expect a good draft. But I think we fall backwards in the standings for the next 2 years. And maybe a 3rd if we haven't dumped these guys yet. 

I hear talks about bring ty rattie or even jujar  back. I think this would be a mistake. This year. I hope some more executives go and certain goalie coach.lol

No way am I "dumping" Sekra or Russell for that matter. If you can find a hockey trade then have at it. Losing Khaira and Lucic is to much loss of the beef

Might be better to predict whether we make the playoffs after the off season - when changes have been made.  The current roster couldn't get it done, so let's see what players we end up with in October.

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

4 hours ago, Douggyweighter39 said:

I'm pretty sure Holland has already said he wants to keep Sekera.

I think Ty Rattie should have a better look. He was used too sparingly after his injury. Guy can skate, and likes to shoot. I'd like to see more of him. 

13 hours ago, Yuke said:

No way am I "dumping" Sekra or Russell for that matter. If you can find a hockey trade then have at it. Losing Khaira and Lucic is to much loss of the beef

He's going to have to move down a list of high paid guys with not enough return.  We have to lose 2 the cap is really tuff on us. I'm thinking he will start with either 1 lucic/kosk 2russel 3sekera. I think he has to go that far down the list to make room. If he cant move lucic or kosk. At the very least 1 have to go. It's tied our hands so much. Ideally 2 guys but 1 of them he will move I think by season start. It's a rebuild and we need cap space. Like yesterday.

10 hours ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

I'm sure he does. But circumstances are circumstance I think he would be last choice to move . But if you get painted into a corner what do you do? Also see above

10 hours ago, WHA fan said:

I think Ty Rattie should have a better look. He was used too sparingly after his injury. Guy can skate, and likes to shoot. I'd like to see more of him. 

Idk.  I feel like I've seen more than enough. I had high hope after seeing him on a line with mcdavid in pre season. He was put on his line and couldn't produce very much. And as soon as he get put on other lines below. His production is gone completely. I think his time is done. If you can't produce on the top line with mcdavid, who can you produce with?

1 hour ago, Douggyweighter39 said:

He's going to have to move down a list of high paid guys with not enough return.  We have to lose 2 the cap is really tuff on us. I'm thinking he will start with either 1 lucic/kosk 2russel 3sekera. I think he has to go that far down the list to make room. If he cant move lucic or kosk. At the very least 1 have to go. It's tied our hands so much. Ideally 2 guys but 1 of them he will move I think by season start. It's a rebuild and we need cap space. Like yesterday.

Nobody "has to go". 

One thing Holland does is surround his young players with experience. He has overpaid players to do so. 

Lucic and Koskinen will be near impossible to get a trade where Oilers will win. Sekera will stay by all indications from Holland. Russell, I can see being traded. He has value that some teams need (example: Tampa needs someone with heart). 

I do not expect major changes this year. Holland needs to evaluate the team and the young guys we have need more time in the minors, Only guy I see getting full time call up is Jones. Biggest move that is needed, a 1 A/B goaltender. 

18 hours ago, arturo said:

hit the ignore, and move on buddy. you have better things to do than worry about what other people are saying, dont invest to much emotion in it. otherwise bring up a point about the oilers.  dunno what to tell you man, if you have had the time to cry to me that you dont like what i have to say, you could have spent same amount of time ignoring it all.

Clearly you don't read other people's posts properly.   

3 hours ago, Yuke said:

Nobody "has to go". 

One thing Holland does is surround his young players with experience. He has overpaid players to do so. 

Lucic and Koskinen will be near impossible to get a trade where Oilers will win. Sekera will stay by all indications from Holland. Russell, I can see being traded. He has value that some teams need (example: Tampa needs someone with heart). 

I do not expect major changes this year. Holland needs to evaluate the team and the young guys we have need more time in the minors, Only guy I see getting full time call up is Jones. Biggest move that is needed, a 1 A/B goaltender. 

We don't have any room on the cap take a look at cap friendly and look at what position we need to fill and what money we have left. Numbers don't add up. He's right 1 person at the very least. 2 highly unlikely, I agree with you too hard to move lucic or kosk. But would be nice.

3 hours ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Some of you guys  spend more time on the board bickering about nothing than making an actual point about the oilers.  Get over it. This is oilers thread. Not hey let's hate each other because don't agree. It's an insight to what fans are things and some times debate; Debate is fine, you prove the point or the fact. No point and making it personal. We are all oiler fans here.  He just said he doesn't care why do You think, what's your guys deal, everyone has am opinion and would like thing to be done a certain way. We need to get over it's just an opinion. 

4 hours ago, Yuke said:

Nobody "has to go". 

one thing hes said for sure he will upgrade our goalie situation. and he did say he would evaluate contract, so im taking that as moving a big contract, and to me if he can move a guy he would go down that list in order if he cant move this guy try the next guy, and so forth.but yeah someone has to go numbers dont lie. we have 10 million left to play with and we are missing  bare min 4-5 forwards which include puljarvi(evaluating or not he has to sign), and chaisson, plus 2-3 4th line guys. and a veteran goalie(holland already said he would bring in).

sorry, but i have to disagree thats not a lot of space to work with. when at min he will do is in a decent goalie, with those numbers its hard not to see anyone go. we just dont have the cap space.

but if you can show me a structure on how you think you would make that 10 million work for what we have to sign, (im not being sarcastic) i'd like to see it.

3 hours ago, Blackhawk216 said:

already told you what i think, if your still talking to me, you have too much time on your hands to quibble with me.

Edited by arturo

We don't have any room on the cap take a look at cap friendly and look at what position we need to fill and what money we have left. Numbers don't add up. He's right 1 person at the very least. 2 highly unlikely, I agree with you too hard to move lucic or kosk. But would be nice.

You used the term Dumping.

No use trading players to strengthen one position and weaken another. 

I suspect another year of scratching to reach the playoffs. No quick fix here.

On 6/2/2019 at 1:47 PM, arturo said:

again cherry picking points to make no sense. again go back and read, im speaking from the start of kevin lowe being gm and president to  when PC being GM as a time line. again make up stuff and pat yourself on the back. but yeah keep going on your crush with me, its probably the most interesting thing you post on the boards. because you keep looking for points that no one is countering or an original thought, but yeah keep talking about me and you have to much time on your hands for this man crush.

oh and love how you think all you post is fact, why do you tell me again how kosk is a great goalie and we should all be patting him on the back and telling him he great and things will get better, lol yeah total facts bud that's clearly not an opinion.

why do you keep saying that I think Koskinen is a 'great goalie'. I did say he played well for stretch (again, that's a fact, not something I'm making up) but I never once said he was a great goalie. But then again..... I guess based on your response you're understanding how most people feel about your posts, aren't ya? 

On 6/2/2019 at 10:34 PM, BL4NKF4CE said:

Sekera had a very good WHC and he was playing well in his limited limits when he rejoined us. I'd keep him for sure unless as Yuke mentioned there is a legitimate hockey trade for him. He should not be 'given' away to 'clear cap space - we are in a 'try to win now' mode with McDavid going into this FIFTH year with us (wow, time flies doesn't it?) - we are not in 'rebuilding' mode. I don't want to see any 'trades' that involves 'dumping cap' only - that would be dumb. We need to win now, not in 5 years when McDavid's contract is pretty much up. And as St.Louis is proving - there is a fine line between winning it all (or close to it) and being dead last in the league. We have holes, but so do most other teams. Creating even more holes is not a recipe for success in the near or mid future. 

15 hours ago, Yuke said:

You used the term Dumping.

No use trading players to strengthen one position and weaken another. 

I suspect another year of scratching to reach the playoffs. No quick fix here.

Yeah. Dumping. Like we dumped spooner off to the canucks. Like manning was dumped on us. Or how we dumped pouliot(more of a buy out).

It's semantics so really it's a broad term in this sense of hockey. And yes we have to get rid of someone. It's addition by subtraction.  It if you don't understand it's ok I don't need to explain further. Will just wait until the season starts and the move is done before then and  you will see what I mean.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:34 PM, BL4NKF4CE said:

Probably does but im saying if he can't move the other 3 first as a last resort he will move him. I don't see him having to go that far down the list. But will wait and see who goes first off the list 

On 6/2/2019 at 10:34 PM, BL4NKF4CE said:

Sekera is a useful 3rd D pairing, unfortunately his contract is too rich for the position. I'd like to see a healthy Sekera in action for a full season to see if he can play to the level before his injuries. If he plays well, maybe we sell when his value is better.

In my previous incarnation here, I was Apples&Hay, with over 10,000 posts...I'm back, baby!

"We have to believe in Free Will, we have no choice!

40 minutes ago, Apps98 said:

Sekera is a useful 3rd D pairing, unfortunately his contract is too rich for the position. I'd like to see a healthy Sekera in action for a full season to see if he can play to the level before his injuries. If he plays well, maybe we sell when his value is better.

i feel ya, totally agree way too rich at 5.5 million per, and t its been a while since he had his most successful season in 2013-2014 with 44 points( carolina), i would like to see him at least get to his form when he arrived to edmonton  with 30 and 35 points(1&2 season) from the guy would be helpful.

feels like a giant mountain to climb for a 33 year old guy whos lost 104 games in the last 2 years, i think we have seen his best unfortunately. but i would love for me to be wrong

Edited by arturo

6 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Sekera had a very good WHC and he was playing well in his limited limits when he rejoined us. I'd keep him for sure unless as Yuke mentioned there is a legitimate hockey trade for him. He should not be 'given' away to 'clear cap space - we are in a 'try to win now' mode with McDavid going into this FIFTH year with us (wow, time flies doesn't it?) - we are not in 'rebuilding' mode. I don't want to see any 'trades' that involves 'dumping cap' only - that would be dumb. We need to win now, not in 5 years when McDavid's contract is pretty much up. And as St.Louis is proving - there is a fine line between winning it all (or close to it) and being dead last in the league. We have holes, but so do most other teams. Creating even more holes is not a recipe for success in the near or mid future. 

we are totally in rebuild mode, what do you call changing GM, head coach, assistant coaches, trying to find a goalie , scoring depth, and better defense, and having mcdavid, drai really be the only players safe on the roster and to an extend nuge and nurse(but ive heard rumblings). and if we didnt have NMC im sure a bunch of those guy would have been moved if possible and if the contract wasent so bad. and WHC doesnt always translate to NA NHL success  just saying. but this will be as much of a rebuild as it is possible to do given our handcuffed contracts.

3 hours ago, arturo said:

we are totally in rebuild mode, what do you call changing GM, head coach, assistant coaches, trying to find a goalie , scoring depth, and better defense, and having mcdavid, drai really be the only players safe on the roster and to an extend nuge and nurse(but ive heard rumblings). and if we didnt have NMC im sure a bunch of those guy would have been moved if possible and if the contract wasent so bad. and WHC doesnt always translate to NA NHL success  just saying. but this will be as much of a rebuild as it is possible to do given our handcuffed contracts.

Hmm, though I see your view, Holland himself has stated that making the playoffs 2019/20 was the goal. I'm not sure a team "totally in rebuild mode" would really be aiming to make the playoffs. Rebuilds take time and it doesn't sound like Ken plans on waiting around (nor do fans want to). I don't feel we are in rebuild mode personally bc though we changed management I don't think a bunch of changes are coming soon on the roster. A couple additions/subtractions and possibly a player or two making the jump from the farm but that may be it. As it is today, nothing has changed on our roster since our season ended. Just bc our new GM is cleaning house up top doesn't signify to me a rebuild. If there was a massive overhaul of player personnel then yeah, but I don't see that coming. I guess it just depends on a person's opinion of what a rebuild is.:)

Edit) I forgot, we did sign that winger Nygard but so far that's it, and there is no guarantee on him yet.

Edited by HappyHappy

image.png

Agree, Happy...this team is not in a rebuild mode (according to Ken Holland), so let's move to real scenarios.

Thing about trading Sekera is that there are a couple of windows (aside from the off season) to make a good hockey trade.  Any team that loses a Dman to long term injury (during the season), or wants to bolster their back end (trade deadline) would look at Sekera as a stable vet that can give them.  Let's wait for them to come to us...no harm done in the meantime.

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

Sekera is easily one of our best defensemen. He has come off of two serious injuries and against all odds he looked very good from what I saw from him on his return. Sekera has veteran skill and experience to draw from and that is something the Oilers just don't have enough of. He has a salary that may be a bit high, but considering how salaries are skyrocketing it is not that bad. Sekera now has the offseason to prepare and train for next season that should see regain good form. I used to be a Sekera critic when he first joined the Oilers, since then he has refined his game and shown on many occasions that he is a skilled savvy defenseman. Not an elite D, but one of our best. 

1 hour ago, HappyHappy said:

Hmm, though I see your view, Holland himself has stated that making the playoffs 2019/20 was the goal. I'm not sure a team "totally in rebuild mode" would really be aiming to make the playoffs. Rebuilds take time and it doesn't sound like Ken plans on waiting around (nor do fans want to). I don't feel we are in rebuild mode personally bc though we changed management I don't think a bunch of changes are coming soon on the roster. A couple additions/subtractions and possibly a player or two making the jump from the farm but that may be it. As it is today, nothing has changed on our roster since our season ended. Just bc our new GM is cleaning house up top doesn't signify to me a rebuild. If there was a massive overhaul of player personnel then yeah, but I don't see that coming. I guess it just depends on a person's opinion of what a rebuild is.:)

Edit) I forgot, we did sign that winger Nygard but so far that's it, and there is no guarantee on him yet.

a lot of out young guys are gonna come up this year and the guys who were around for 15-30 will stay.for fowards gambardella will be a regular, colby cave the same, oh and currie, i feel marody will be 13th forward, and benson possibly comes up and like you said nygard. jujar is an RFA but i got a feeling they will let him walk, reider is most definitely not coming back, rattie most likely done as an oiler, i think holland will make the smart move and bury broadziak in the minors, i think matt bening gets traded(that brown offer keeps coming up), so persson and for sure jones comes up, because manning is not coming back. and we add a new goalie like holland said,

so 1 goalie already will happen we only have 1 under contract

for sure 1 new D man at 6-7 position, 2 if matty gets traded.

gamb, currie and cave won spots after they earned them at the end of the season, nygard hasent made the roster, benson, marody, havent either but 1 will have too with reider leaving so 4 for sure forwards. we havent resigned chaisson(UFA), and broadziak is up in the air(but under contract), jujar(RFA).  and if we can offload that big lucic contract.

so 6 new full timers/new guys for sure                  and  under speculation of 4-5 other guys. so it could be up to 11 new guys.

will have to see how many guys come up from the minors and what trades holland does before the start. but thats whats it looks like to me anyways. and thats not to say a rebuild team cant make playoffs, if i recall didnt ottawa do pretty good first rebuild year in?(before the face plant)

5 minutes ago, mrtea said:

Sekera is easily one of our best defensemen. He has come off of two serious injuries and against all odds he looked very good from what I saw from him on his return. Sekera has veteran skill and experience to draw from and that is something the Oilers just don't have enough of. He has a salary that may be a bit high, but considering how salaries are skyrocketing it is not that bad. Sekera now has the offseason to prepare and train for next season that should see regain good form. I used to be a Sekera critic when he first joined the Oilers, since then he has refined his game and shown on many occasions that he is a skilled savvy defenseman. Not an elite D, but one of our best. 

i hope your right. sick of seeing the guy being hurt(104 games lost in the last 2 years). having flash back of souray, ferance and  whitney. seems like we always get into these situations when we try to pick up a number 1 D man.

23 minutes ago, RapierShot said:

Agree, Happy...this team is not in a rebuild mode (according to Ken Holland), so let's move to real scenarios.

Thing about trading Sekera is that there are a couple of windows (aside from the off season) to make a good hockey trade.  Any team that loses a Dman to long term injury (during the season), or wants to bolster their back end (trade deadline) would look at Sekera as a stable vet that can give them.  Let's wait for them to come to us...no harm done in the meantime.

of the big contracts(with little return) he would be the last one id want to trade(lucic, kosk, russel). i like him, but its starting to get into that scenario what to do with a guy making 5.5 million and always getting hurt.  if he gets hurt again. i would think the oilers just do a lopul(what the leafs did), just told him to stay hurt and will pay you the money, but your off the books.

but i agree with you, we are better with sekera in the line up when hes healthy.

and i know holland said its not a rebuild, i feel like thats just a PR move, like when bobby said that kosk signing was a group decision, to save face and not look like PC just screwed us on his way out the door. we all know that wasent.

because no one want to hear rebuild right now, because it would have to admit that a lot is wrong(which it is). otherwise why change the entire coaching staff and GM and at least 6 new regulars(minimum)

its like hey we are going to sell your business, but we are not going to fire anyone, we are just downsizing some stuff.

but will see how many more faces change by the start of the season.

6 minutes ago, arturo said:

i hope your right. sick of seeing the guy being hurt(104 games lost in the last 2 years). having flash back of souray, ferance and  whitney. seems like we always get into these situations when we try to pick up a number 1 D man.

Sekera is very good, but don't confuse him with a #1 Dman. Sekera is the dependable guy that can play in most situations and great to have on a team, but he isn't going to run your powerplay or be that solid anchor that holds the team together like a true #1 D.

22 minutes ago, arturo said:

a lot of out young guys are gonna come up this year and the guys who were around for 15-30 will stay.for fowards gambardella will be a regular, colby cave the same, oh and currie, i feel marody will be 13th forward, and benson possibly comes up and like you said nygard. jujar is an RFA but i got a feeling they will let him walk, reider is most definitely not coming back, rattie most likely done as an oiler, i think holland will make the smart move and bury broadziak in the minors, i think matt bening gets traded(that brown offer keeps coming up), so persson and for sure jones comes up, because manning is not coming back. and we add a new goalie like holland said,

so 1 goalie already will happen we only have 1 under contract

for sure 1 new D man at 6-7 position, 2 if matty gets traded.

gamb, currie and cave won spots after they earned them at the end of the season, nygard hasent made the roster, benson, marody, havent either but 1 will have too with reider leaving so 4 for sure forwards. we havent resigned chaisson(UFA), and broadziak is up in the air(but under contract), jujar(RFA).  and if we can offload that big lucic contract.

so 6 new full timers/new guys for sure                  and  under speculation of 4-5 other guys. so it could be up to 11 new guys.

will have to see how many guys come up from the minors and what trades holland does before the start. but thats whats it looks like to me anyways. and thats not to say a rebuild team cant make playoffs, if i recall didnt ottawa do pretty good first rebuild year in?(before the face plant)

For me, (1)letting unwanted players go, and (2)bringing already existing players in the system up for tryouts and possible permanent stays does not signify a rebuild. Number 2 is what most good teams do if their drafting and developing is on point. Nobody named here is new, some will grow on to the big team, some will be released, some may be bought out or buried, but none are new. So for me that's not a rebuild, I guess that's where we differ in our definition of rebuild and that's ok. 

Edited by HappyHappy

image.png

Just now, mrtea said:

Sekera is very good, but don't confuse him with a #1 Dman. Sekera is the dependable guy that can play in most situations and great to have on a team, but he isn't going to run your powerplay or be that solid anchor that holds the team together like a true #1 D.

thats what he was brought into do as i recall( i know he will never be), he was suppose to be the guy when we signed him. i would be happy if he could just be a decent #2 or a point producing d man on the second unit. but at this point i just hope the guy can stay healthy, because you are right he is one of our best when healthy.

Just now, arturo said:

thats what he was brought into do as i recall( i know he will never be), he was suppose to be the guy when we signed him. i would be happy if he could just be a decent #2 or a point producing d man on the second unit. but at this point i just hope the guy can stay healthy, because you are right he is one of our best when healthy.

That's what was said at the time, but it was PC throwing a med. size salary dart at a (defenseman coming into his prime) balloon hoping to win a prize(#1 or #2 Dman). The dart missed the balloon, but at least we do have a solid defensive vet.

4 minutes ago, HappyHappy said:

For me, (1)letting unwanted players go, and (2)bringing already existing players in the system up for tryouts and possible permanent stays does not signify a rebuild. Number 2 is what most good teams do if their drafting and developing is on point. Nobody named here is new, some will grow on to the big team, some will be released, some may be bought out or buried, but none are new. So for me that's not a rebuild, it's growth. I guess that's where we differ in our definition of rebuild and that's ok. 

yeah agree to disagree, appreciate the insight from you, also you not freaking out if  i dont agree with you, like a few folks around here, lol. growth is always nice, i like a lot of the young guys, currie is a grinder, we need more guys like him. Definitely agree with you on number 1, i really hope a bunch of those guys get dealt with.

1 minute ago, mrtea said:

That's what was said at the time, but it was PC throwing a med. size salary dart at a (defenseman coming into his prime) balloon hoping to win a prize(#1 or #2 Dman). The dart missed the balloon, but at least we do have a solid defensive vet.

cough , larrson ,cough, russel lol

yeah im pretty sick right now and i think i see a pattern