The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
arturo

and Dave Tippet is our New Head Coach.

8 hours ago, arturo said:

we are totally in rebuild mode, what do you call changing GM, head coach, assistant coaches, trying to find a goalie , scoring depth, and better defense, and having mcdavid, drai really be the only players safe on the roster and to an extend nuge and nurse(but ive heard rumblings). and if we didnt have NMC im sure a bunch of those guy would have been moved if possible and if the contract wasent so bad. and WHC doesnt always translate to NA NHL success  just saying. but this will be as much of a rebuild as it is possible to do given our handcuffed contracts.

Art - Holland is 63 years old and is being paid (with a bonus) FIVE MILLION DOLLARS. What do you think his bonus is based on? I don't know myself, I only speculate, but my speculation involves making the playoffs. What's your speculation on that? 

Everyone, that's enough. Stick to what you perceive as the merits (or lack thereof) of Tippett being our new head coach.

9 hours ago, Apps98 said:

Sekera is a useful 3rd D pairing, unfortunately his contract is too rich for the position. I'd like to see a healthy Sekera in action for a full season to see if he can play to the level before his injuries. If he plays well, maybe we sell when his value is better.

Might take a while to get back to form, but I think he can do it.  We all loved what we saw before his injury, and I'm looking forward to watching that Sekera again

• Like 1

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

2 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Art - Holland is 63 years old and is being paid (with a bonus) FIVE MILLION DOLLARS. What do you think his bonus is based on? I don't know myself, I only speculate, but my speculation involves making the playoffs. What's your speculation on that? 

whats wrong with still trying to go for playoffs in rebuild mode. ottawa did it, and correct me if im wrong but they went to the playoffs first year of the rebuild, and the finals in the second or 3rd. No one is saying we are not allowed to go after them.  bonus probably based on -just not trading mcdavid or drai for pk subban,lol

i would think every GM is trying to make playoffs regardless of situation, who wouldn't still try?

but yeah bonus probably entails points, probably playoffs, cup. but the guy still had 1 year left on his 2 year deal with the wings( estimated to be around 3 million). and he walked away from a guaranteed 3.5 million per season( 3year deal) to be president of the red wings and not do anymore GM'ing.  -source hockey news(see below)

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/will-ken-hollands-deal-with-edmonton-raise-all-ships-for-gm-salaries-or-is-he-the-outlier

so given that info, you can easily deduce  that he would leave his home and organization for more money(and more than likely he hustled oilers bobny N) he probably has a minimum of a 4-4.5 million per season guaranteed, otherwise he wouldn't leave his home for same or less money. and probably 500k per year bonus for  each for playoffs,

hes definitely the highest paid GM with or with out bonus, he also is getting that last year of his Detroit deal(probably bought out). im just speculating but it was probably 2.5-3 milion buy out.

bottom line, this guy is cashing in, and the bonus is probably 500k extra a year for playoffs. Hard to see it really making that much of a difference  in him changing a game plan or getting into a panic, to get that extra 500k. I dont see its as a big emphasis for him to make sure he gets it. not saying he wont try, but the bonus is not as big as people think when you deduce guaranteed money.

i could see any GM pull a kevin lowe and trade everything including the kitchen sink to get into playoffs when we had pronger for that one year if the bonus was lets say 50% or more of your salary.

5 hours ago, arturo said:

whats wrong with still trying to go for playoffs in rebuild mode. ottawa did it, and correct me if im wrong but they went to the playoffs first year of the rebuild, and the finals in the second or 3rd. No one is saying we are not allowed to go after them.  bonus probably based on -just not trading mcdavid or drai for pk subban,lol

i would think every GM is trying to make playoffs regardless of situation, who wouldn't still try?

but yeah bonus probably entails points, probably playoffs, cup. but the guy still had 1 year left on his 2 year deal with the wings( estimated to be around 3 million). and he walked away from a guaranteed 3.5 million per season( 3year deal) to be president of the red wings and not do anymore GM'ing.  -source hockey news(see below)

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/will-ken-hollands-deal-with-edmonton-raise-all-ships-for-gm-salaries-or-is-he-the-outlier

so given that info, you can easily deduce  that he would leave his home and organization for more money(and more than likely he hustled oilers bobny N) he probably has a minimum of a 4-4.5 million per season guaranteed, otherwise he wouldn't leave his home for same or less money. and probably 500k per year bonus for  each for playoffs,

hes definitely the highest paid GM with or with out bonus, he also is getting that last year of his Detroit deal(probably bought out). im just speculating but it was probably 2.5-3 milion buy out.

bottom line, this guy is cashing in, and the bonus is probably 500k extra a year for playoffs. Hard to see it really making that much of a difference  in him changing a game plan or getting into a panic, to get that extra 500k. I dont see its as a big emphasis for him to make sure he gets it. not saying he wont try, but the bonus is not as big as people think when you deduce guaranteed money.

i could see any GM pull a kevin lowe and trade everything including the kitchen sink to get into playoffs when we had pronger for that one year if the bonus was lets say 50% or more of your salary.

Yeah but bottom line is we've made the playoffs once in the past 13 years. When you say 'rebuild' that involves (usually) what you said above in bold but change that to both. This is a rebuild that PC did. You're right that every GM will change his roster to match what he see's as a successful roster. It's why I cringe whenever we swap GMs'. It's also a major reason why we've made the playoffs once in 13 years. Since our cup run we've gone through Lowe/Tambellini/MacTavish/Chiarelli/Holland. That's 5 different GM's since '06 or basically one GM every 2.8 years. You show me any franchise in any sport that has gone through a GM every 3 years for past 14 years and I'll show a poopshow of a team. That's not mention the number of different coaches we have. 

So I do agree to a point when you say rebuild but a rebuild to me is redefining your core. We are not redefining our core - we are going forward with Drai and McDavid (and one good thing PC did to my own Chagrin is sign Drai to that 8.5M eight year deal - if he keeps going the way his is that's a bargain price based on where salaries are going). 

But yes, after our core 5 or 6 players (i'll group Klef/Nurse/RNH in there as well) there will be a lot of changes happening. Hopefully for the better but one thing for sure, the goal is to make the playoffs next year, not hope to. Like I said, McDavid is already entering year 2 of his deal - time flies. The time to contend is now, not 6 years from now

5 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Yeah but bottom line is we've made the playoffs once in the past 13 years. When you say 'rebuild' that involves (usually) what you said above in bold but change that to both. This is a rebuild that PC did. You're right that every GM will change his roster to match what he see's as a successful roster. It's why I cringe whenever we swap GMs'. It's also a major reason why we've made the playoffs once in 13 years. Since our cup run we've gone through Lowe/Tambellini/MacTavish/Chiarelli/Holland. That's 5 different GM's since '06 or basically one GM every 2.8 years. You show me any franchise in any sport that has gone through a GM every 3 years for past 14 years and I'll show a poopshow of a team. That's not mention the number of different coaches we have. 

So I do agree to a point when you say rebuild but a rebuild to me is redefining your core. We are not redefining our core - we are going forward with Drai and McDavid (and one good thing PC did to my own Chagrin is sign Drai to that 8.5M eight year deal - if he keeps going the way his is that's a bargain price based on where salaries are going). 

But yes, after our core 5 or 6 players (i'll group Klef/Nurse/RNH in there as well) there will be a lot of changes happening. Hopefully for the better but one thing for sure, the goal is to make the playoffs next year, not hope to. Like I said, McDavid is already entering year 2 of his deal - time flies. The time to contend is now, not 6 years from now

yeah the gm thing i mentioned in another post. Its crazy to see a gm changed that often. The core you mention.  I hope stay intact (and we rebuild around these guys). But I keep hearing RNH  and nurse come up in trade talk. Not all that worried anymore. Not joking, when PC  was still gm it use to give me anxiety(pretty sure a kot of us did) that he would try and trade drai, nuge or nurse dor like a bag of pucks. I dont feel like Holland would do that. I think he would be more inclined to get of big contracts if he can some how get rid of lucic. He would look very cleaved to me. Which I do have faith in him making that move. Because he has done that move before, with dumping datsuyk contract when he bolted to the KHL. I believe Arizona  had it on books after Holland traded 1st round picks(only 1 year left at 7.5 million on labels deal) still impressive, with only giving up a few spot ahead in the draft and taking a yotes dud with concussion problems for a year.

So hopefully this old man can do it again(a few times).

4 minutes ago, Douggyweighter39 said:

yeah the gm thing i mentioned in another post. Its crazy to see a gm changed that often. The core you mention.  I hope stay intact (and we rebuild around these guys). But I keep hearing RNH  and nurse come up in trade talk. Not all that worried anymore. Not joking, when PC  was still gm it use to give me anxiety(pretty sure a kot of us did) that he would try and trade drai, nuge or nurse dor like a bag of pucks. I dont feel like Holland would do that. I think he would be more inclined to get of big contracts if he can some how get rid of lucic. He would look very cleaved to me. Which I do have faith in him making that move. Because he has done that move before, with dumping datsuyk contract when he bolted to the KHL. I believe Arizona  had it on books after Holland traded 1st round picks(only 1 year left at 7.5 million on labels deal) still impressive, with only giving up a few spot ahead in the draft and taking a yotes dud with concussion problems for a year.

So hopefully this old man can do it again(a few times).

when pavel left the wings, i totally forgot about that. would be cool if he could do that again. so its not out of the range of possibility if we were to change a few spots in the draft and get rid of a lucic or another big contract with little return. ill be looking forward to the draft a bit more now. heres to wishful thinking.

5 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

yeah whatever you want to call it, we are rebuilding or trying to build something in Edmonton. hopefully sooner than later.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:14 AM, OilyJetFan said:

Sekera had a very good WHC and he was playing well in his limited limits when he rejoined us. I'd keep him for sure unless as Yuke mentioned there is a legitimate hockey trade for him. He should not be 'given' away to 'clear cap space - we are in a 'try to win now' mode with McDavid going into this FIFTH year with us (wow, time flies doesn't it?) - we are not in 'rebuilding' mode. I don't want to see any 'trades' that involves 'dumping cap' only - that would be dumb. We need to win now, not in 5 years when McDavid's contract is pretty much up. And as St.Louis is proving - there is a fine line between winning it all (or close to it) and being dead last in the league. We have holes, but so do most other teams. Creating even more holes is not a recipe for success in the near or mid future. 

I don't know, if Sekera could be traded without taking salary back (basically for nothing) I'd do it. He looks to now be a solid 3rd pairing d but he isn't going to play at a level worth 5.5 million for each of the next two years. The point would be to use the cap space now to fill needs now with free agency and trade opportunities. As of now a major problem is that we have holes and no cap space to fill them to improve.

1 hour ago, BoomnotBust said:

I don't know, if Sekera could be traded without taking salary back (basically for nothing) I'd do it. He looks to now be a solid 3rd pairing d but he isn't going to play at a level worth 5.5 million for each of the next two years. The point would be to use the cap space now to fill needs now with free agency and trade opportunities. As of now a major problem is that we have holes and no cap space to fill them to improve.

Sekera would leave a big hole on D. He should be paired with Bouchard whenever Bouchard makes the team (hopefully not til 2020). Bouchard would benefit greatly from being paired with Sekera for a season. If we're gonna gonna move a D, it should be Russell.

7 hours ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

Sekera would leave a big hole on D. He should be paired with Bouchard whenever Bouchard makes the team (hopefully not til 2020). Bouchard would benefit greatly from being paired with Sekera for a season. If we're gonna gonna move a D, it should be Russell.

I don't see Sekera being more effective than Russell this coming year and I see him as a much bigger health risk, plus trading Sekera would be an additional 1.5 million in cap space to help upgrade the team.

Sekera was a better player than Russel at the end of last year, and that was far from Sekera's "best".

His health is the issue.  But because "mobility" has always been his game, and his TWO major injuries are both going to rob him mobility, not sure he is going to ever be much more than what he was at the end of last season, healthy or not.

You won't be able to trade him until other teams get a chance to have the questions of where his mobility is at, and how his health will hold up answered.  Oilers are stuck with him for the time being.  If he does return to his under-valued TOP pairing form, Oilers are sitting pretty.  If he doesn't, at least they have a dependable, predictable veteran under contract.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

13 hours ago, BoomnotBust said:

You have a good point but we need him for leadership and we need him for mentoring (as mentioned) our younger guys. You really can't put an intangible on that. I heard (from Dredger though personallyl In can't see it) the Oilers were interested in Zaitsev. Well, that would be a hockey trade if say they would take either Sekera or Russell for Zaitsev I may do it. But as Holland says, we need wingers, and we need another goalie. We don't really need anything on defense. When our defense is healthy, it's actually pretty good! Not spectacular or anything but a healthy D looks like:

Klef / Larsson

Nurse / Benning

Sekera / Russell

I know a lot of folks around here don't like Benning but he's our leading plus / minus guy last year and is fine when he is not playing in the #1 pairing. Bouchard will take over for Benning after next season anyway so 1 more year of Benning isn't too bad. 

But wingers - that's where the ugly is - really ugly. We need at least three IMO. Guess we'll see pretty quick though as I think there will be lots of player movement at the draft. Can't wait to see what we do

49 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

I know a lot of folks around here don't like Benning but he's our leading plus / minus guy last year and is fine when he is not playing in the #1 pairing. Bouchard will take over for Benning after next season anyway so 1 more year of Benning isn't too bad. 

But wingers - that's where the ugly is - really ugly. We need at least three IMO. Guess we'll see pretty quick though as I think there will be lots of player movement at the draft. Can't wait to see what we do

The only reason Benning is the top plus/minus guy is that he plays a lot of his ice time with Draisaitl/McDavid who keep the puck at the other end of the ice about 80% of their shifts .... oh, and score a whole bunch.  Benning is put in the neutral zone and offensive zone to defend from there, rather than in his own end.  But that is no different than anyone else's #6/7 D.

But wingers - that is where the ugly is - and bottom six forwards as a whole.  And Goal.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

5 hours ago, BoomnotBust said:

I don't see Sekera being more effective than Russell this coming year and I see him as a much bigger health risk, plus trading Sekera would be an additional 1.5 million in cap space to help upgrade the team.

Sekera is a better mentor than Russell. Throughout his career he's been a more complete defenseman than Russell, therefore would be a better mentor to players like Bouchard, Jones, and/or Bear, who might be making the jump over the next couple years.

2 hours ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

Sekera is a better mentor than Russell. Throughout his career he's been a more complete defenseman than Russell, therefore would be a better mentor to players like Bouchard, Jones, and/or Bear, who might be making the jump over the next couple years.

we'll disagree on how the Oilers would be better served

21 hours ago, BoomnotBust said:

Love it when fans create holes by filling others. 

Next years thread, let's trade for a Dman who can control the puck

4 hours ago, BoomnotBust said:

we'll disagree on how the Oilers would be better served

So, just to clarify, you think Russell would be a better mentor to Bouchard than Sekera?

1 hour ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

So, just to clarify, you think Russell would be a better mentor to Bouchard than Sekera?

I don't know. I'm not sure how you claim to know the mentoring skills of Sekera vs Russell and would actually question if he is the better example at this point.

After the last two years I don't know why you would bet on Sekera being better than Russell this year.

What I do know is that the Oilers could certainly use an additional 1.5 million in cap space, that is indisputable.

1 hour ago, Yuke said:

Love it when fans create holes by filling others. 

Next years thread, let's trade for a Dman who can control the puck

I would like Sekera's 5.5 million cap hit off the books, I am surprised that you find this to be a weird opinion.

Just to clarify, if the Oilers didn't have Sekera right now, you think it would be a good idea to give a 33 year year old defenseman that has played 60 games the last two years a 2 year deal for 11 million?

16 minutes ago, BoomnotBust said:

I would like Sekera's 5.5 million cap hit off the books, I am surprised that you find this to be a weird opinion.

Just to clarify, if the Oilers didn't have Sekera right now, you think it would be a good idea to give a 33 year year old defenseman that has played 60 games the last two years a 2 year deal for 11 million?

Anyone with at least half a brain would know that in order to dump a contract like that, we'd have to take salary back. It's common  sense. Plus, Russell's 4M might be easier to move without taking equal or more salary back.

27 minutes ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

Anyone with at least half a brain would know that in order to dump a contract like that, we'd have to take salary back. It's common  sense. Plus, Russell's 4M might be easier to move without taking equal or more salary back.

Actually it was being discussed that Sekera should not be given away to clear cap space and I entered the conversation saying he should be given away and I am right about that.

You put it that way, I would rather trade Klefbom. 1 good year, often injured, will get more for him, Nurse can easily fill his role, Sekera is top 4 and make his partners better (Russell and Benning).

sekera, russel both should be gone, even if we can get picks for them id be happy to clear the space. They are not much in the leadership category thats clear. sekera is a band aid and i think russel might be a mute. if we can get rid of lucic or kosk on a buyout id  be happy, because im pretty sure that 1.2 million we would get, could be better spent on a 4th line guy that would put up better number than what lucic is projected to do this(12 pts) year or last(20pts). Also wouldn't be a cancer in the room.

we all know we let our best leader go in to FA a while ago in matt hendricks. say what you will but his leadership really shown whats missing in the room.

and no, broadziak is not a leader.

on a side note you want an old guy with leadership quality for cheap. dave bolland is available, eric fehr,  Deryk Engelland( a d man but a good leader)

3 minutes ago, arturo said:

sekera, russel both should be gone, even if we can get picks for them id be happy to clear the space. They are not much in the leadership category thats clear. sekera is a band aid and i think russel might be a mute. if we can get rid of lucic or kosk on a buyout id  be happy, because im pretty sure that 1.2 million we would get, could be better spent on a 4th line guy that would put up better number than what lucic is projected to do this(12 pts) year or last(20pts). Also wouldn't be a cancer in the room.

we all know we let our best leader go in to FA a while ago in matt hendricks. say what you will but his leadership really shown whats missing in the room.

and no, broadziak is not a leader.

on a side note you want an old guy with leadership quality for cheap. dave bolland is available, eric fehr,  Deryk Engelland( a d man but a good leader)

I feel like you can't import leadership just like that. Hendricks was here for a while, and while he had some of those qualities before he was here, he became that person here. Even if you can find a "leader", I don't see how he can "lead" from day one. You have to be part of the team first, and that takes time. IMHO. 

48 minutes ago, WHA fan said:

I feel like you can't import leadership just like that. Hendricks was here for a while, and while he had some of those qualities before he was here, he became that person here. Even if you can find a "leader", I don't see how he can "lead" from day one. You have to be part of the team first, and that takes time. IMHO. 

Exactly correct. You can't import "leadership" it has to earned by sacrificing your body (blocking shots or standing up for your teammates) while on the ice. Once that's "earned" then and only then can that "leader" start to say things in the room. And yes Matt Hendricks was a perfect example of that. leader, he gave everything he had every time he played. When we lost him (thanks Peter) that really hurt us.

10 hours ago, BoomnotBust said:

Actually it was being discussed that Sekera should not be given away to clear cap space and I entered the conversation saying he should be given away and I am right about that.

Holland on Sekera: “I always reflect back on my Detroit days. You know you look at Sekera whose a really good veteran, I look at the impact that Niklas Kronwall had on Dennis Cholowski, had on Filip Hronek. Sekera can have that role."

32 minutes ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

Holland on Sekera: “I always reflect back on my Detroit days. You know you look at Sekera whose a really good veteran, I look at the impact that Niklas Kronwall had on Dennis Cholowski, had on Filip Hronek. Sekera can have that role."

that's great, doesn't change the fact that at this point it is a way overinflated contract that the team would be better off without

3 hours ago, BoomnotBust said:

that's great, doesn't change the fact that at this point it is a way overinflated contract that the team would be better off without

It's only "overinflated" if Sekera can not play.  That has not been made factual.  He was among the Oilers best defenders at the end of last year, and no where near to a form that he was playing just a year earlier at the World Championship.

What Sekera is or isn't, at this point is simply unknown.  Trading an unknown for pretzels and gum wrappers (which is what you would get because his status is unknown), doesn't give you the cap space you want, as his Cap would be immediately eaten by his replacement/crap dumped back as trade material, and the 25% of Sekera's salary you would need to retain (and defenders are notoriously slow to adjust on new clubs).  Wanting and having Sekera's 5.5 Cap dollars to spend, is NOT as simple as you claim.

Even if Sekera is given half a year to establish that he is no better than last year, but no worse (i.e. he is a consistent, dependable, 4/5 puck moving defender with confidence and maturity handling the puck under pressure) you get far more in return for him at the trade deadline than right now.  It would be a poor decision of asset management to move him until then.

• Like 1

The Oilers have been known to have a poor defense and you want to discard one of our best. "Overinflated contract".... have you looked at salaries lately? If he can regain form he will be a bargain.

1 hour ago, DeutchOil said:

It's only "overinflated" if Sekera can not play.  That has not been made factual.  He was among the Oilers best defenders at the end of last year, and no where near to a form that he was playing just a year earlier at the World Championship.

What Sekera is or isn't, at this point is simply unknown.  Trading an unknown for pretzels and gum wrappers (which is what you would get because his status is unknown), doesn't give you the cap space you want, as his Cap would be immediately eaten by his replacement/crap dumped back as trade material, and the 25% of Sekera's salary you would need to retain (and defenders are notoriously slow to adjust on new clubs).  Wanting and having Sekera's 5.5 Cap dollars to spend, is NOT as simple as you claim.

Even if Sekera is given half a year to establish that he is no better than last year, but no worse (i.e. he is a consistent, dependable, 4/5 puck moving defender with confidence and maturity handling the puck under pressure) you get far more in return for him at the trade deadline than right now.  It would be a poor decision of asset management to move him until then.

Sekera only played a third of last season and from what I saw he looked to be recovered from his surgeries very nicely. Sekera had no training camp or off season last year to prepare with. This season he has all summer to complete his healing and train for the upcoming season. If any trade was to happen involving Sekera it would probably be a big trade with a few pieces involved and I agree the trade deadline would make more sense.

I also agree it would be a big mistake to trade him away just to try and get a little cap relief that you will have to replace for probably more money. Now Chiarelli would probably jump at the chance to make a move like that. 

• Like 1