The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
arturo

and Dave Tippet is our New Head Coach.

4 minutes ago, mrtea said:

The Oilers have been known to have a poor defense and you want to discard one of our best. "Overinflated contract".... have you looked at salaries lately? If he can regain form he will be a bargain.

Sekera only played a third of last season and from what I saw he looked to be recovered from his surgeries very nicely. Sekera had no training camp or off season last year to prepare with. This season he has all summer to complete his healing and train for the upcoming season. If any trade was to happen involving Sekera it would probably be a big trade with a few pieces involved and I agree the trade deadline would make more sense.

I also agree it would be a big mistake to trade him away just to try and get a little cap relief that you will have to replace for probably more money. Now Chiarelli would probably jump at the chance to make a move like that. 

Yep.

I get that the Oilers are in tough Cap wise with the NMC/NTC contracts they have, and there is a desire to free up Cap dollars.  But that is why this team needs a two year clean-up, before the build really begins.

It sucks.  But that is what the new GM inherited, and why so many of the Old guard have been encouraged to leave.  Some have made their way to Siberia voluntarily to avoid having to be around as their names are linked to the gigantic mess that has been made.

As fans, we sit now and wait.  Maybe a miracle or two will come our way?  But we already got our miracles with 4 first overall picks in 6 years, and don't really qualify for any more.

• Thanks 1

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

31 minutes ago, mrtea said:

The Oilers have been known to have a poor defense and you want to discard one of our best. "Overinflated contract".... have you looked at salaries lately? If he can regain form he will be a bargain.

Yes I do because there are better ways to spend 5.5 million than on an aging question mark.

Just now, BoomnotBust said:

Yes I do because there are better ways to spend 5.5 million than on an aging question mark.

You're going by the assumption Sekera can be traded without taking anything in return. Which is impossible, especially because we only have 15 teams to try and trade him to.

2 minutes ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

You're going by the assumption Sekera can be traded without taking anything in return. Which is impossible, especially because we only have 15 teams to try and trade him to.

I'm not assuming they can and I am saying they would be better off if they did

1 hour ago, BoomnotBust said:

I'm not assuming they can and I am saying they would be better off if they did

Keeping in mind that Holland stated the Oilers goal was to make the playoffs, how would trading Sekera make the Oilers better off? You have stated it is to clear up cap space. So that makes me believe that we will get back draft picks, prospects or a combination. That will free up cap space for the future but if you want to make the playoffs you now need to replace the extra hole on defense. How much is it going to cost to get a better defenseman than Sekera? How much savings are you going to have and what guarantee do you have the replacement will be an improvement? 

If we were to trade Sekera, the trade deadline is the time to do it. A large multiple trade involving Sekera is the only way I see him being traded this off season and I doubt that happening. Trading Sekera now would not bring the Oilers any true value and would be just throwing away another asset  for nothing. We had enough throwing away of assets with Chiarelli. 

If we are going to make trades, let's make smart trades that the Oilers aren't the losers. We need to start getting value back.

13 hours ago, WHA fan said:

I feel like you can't import leadership just like that. Hendricks was here for a while, and while he had some of those qualities before he was here, he became that person here. Even if you can find a "leader", I don't see how he can "lead" from day one. You have to be part of the team first, and that takes time. IMHO. 

12 hours ago, pillotte said:

Exactly correct. You can't import "leadership" it has to earned by sacrificing your body (blocking shots or standing up for your teammates) while on the ice. Once that's "earned" then and only then can that "leader" start to say things in the room. And yes Matt Hendricks was a perfect example of that. leader, he gave everything he had every time he played. When we lost him (thanks Peter) that really hurt us.

you cant import leadership, really???, so messier never took leadership of the rangers in 94 right away? joe thorton didnt do this when he went to the sharks, and yeah i guess none of the vegas knights ever said derek england was a leader at all in the first year in inception?

im sorry sekera may be a veteran but, hes not a leader hes an over paid 5th d man, and furthermore any of the guys i named earlier(earlier post) would make a way better leader than sekera, the guy is a band aid, holland was just putting a positive spin on an old overpaid guy he cant move. because i t would make sense to move lucic, kosk or russel first if he can.

and people need to stop saying how well he did in the WC, completely different. 

might as well say how great kosk did in the KHL.

so you can import leadership, and these guy like dave bolland is available, eric fehr available,  Deryk Engelland( a d man but a good leader) can do and have done a better job than sekera will ever do for the oilers. had sekera been in the room as often as he was hurt maybe guys would take too him like a leader and maybe he would of had  the C or A before connor arrived, but clearly that has not happened by now, and thats saying a lot for guy who been here as long as sekera and as bad as the oilers are right now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arturo said:

you cant import leadership, really???, so messier never took leadership of the rangers in 94 right away? joe thorton didnt do this when he went to the sharks, and yeah i guess none of the vegas knights ever said derek england was a leader at all in the first year in inception?

im sorry sekera may be a veteran but, hes not a leader hes an over paid 5th d man, and furthermore any of the guys i named earlier(earlier post) would make a way better leader than sekera, the guy is a band aid, holland was just putting a positive spin on an old overpaid guy he cant move. because i t would make sense to move lucic, kosk or russel first if he can.

so you can import leadership, and these guy like dave bolland is available, eric fehr available,  Deryk Engelland( a d man but a good leader) can do and have done a better job than sekera will ever do for the oilers. had sekera been in the room as often as he was hurt maybe guys would take too him like a leader and maybe he would of had  the C or A before connor arrived, but clearly that has not happened by now, and thats saying a lot for guy who been here as long as sekera and as bad as the oilers are right now

Agreed

1 hour ago, mrtea said:

Keeping in mind that Holland stated the Oilers goal was to make the playoffs, how would trading Sekera make the Oilers better off? You have stated it is to clear up cap space. So that makes me believe that we will get back draft picks, prospects or a combination. That will free up cap space for the future but if you want to make the playoffs you now need to replace the extra hole on defense. How much is it going to cost to get a better defenseman than Sekera? How much savings are you going to have and what guarantee do you have the replacement will be an improvement? 

If we were to trade Sekera, the trade deadline is the time to do it. A large multiple trade involving Sekera is the only way I see him being traded this off season and I doubt that happening. Trading Sekera now would not bring the Oilers any true value and would be just throwing away another asset  for nothing. We had enough throwing away of assets with Chiarelli. 

If we are going to make trades, let's make smart trades that the Oilers aren't the losers. We need to start getting value back.

Right now we can't get better because we have no cap space and the team isn't good enough to make the playoffs. Prospect pool is looking better but won't help much next year, Bouchard will be interesting but there will be growing pains. It would make us better by having 5.5 million to spend to improve the team. In addition to d there is wingers, that is a glaring hole, we need at least 2 more wingers capable of contributing offense to be a playoff team.

Regarding trading Sekera it's unpredictable. I would bet against us being able to move him, tbh I think there is a better chance he gets bought out next June than traded.

22 hours ago, BoomnotBust said:

Actually it was being discussed that Sekera should not be given away to clear cap space and I entered the conversation saying he should be given away and I am right about that.

I'm not sure you're 'right' about that. Even with his injuries, he's a much better dman than say Dion Phaneuf who just got bought out. That was a terrible contract. The way I see it, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain by keeping him. If he suffers another major injury, his salary is protected and who knows, he may be forced to retire. If he has a good off season and comes to camp healthy and refreshed - well I got two words for you "Load Managment". Look no further than Kawhi Leonard. You think Sek's injuries are bad? Leonard had his knee totally destroyed and he missed almost three full seasons with it. But with proper management all he did was bring a title to the Raptors. Now I'm not comparing Sek's talent to Kawhi's - but I am comparing the injuries and how Sek can come back like Leonard did. And as mentioned, he looked really good for a guy who hadn't played much in the past two years and he really shined at the WHC this year. 

And as we've been telling you - clearing cap space is one thing but who do you bring in for that cap space? Dion Phaneouf? It's not as easy as you may think it is. We could end up with someone more expensive who's a bad dman (Sekera is not a bad dman - overpaid - this past season, yes but we need to wait for the upcoming one). 

But who know's? I suspect a lot of roster changes this off season and into training camp. So we shall see what happens. 

I'm kind of leaning in that direction too. 

Also, remember when Schultz was supposed to be our savior on D? Nobody to show him the ropes and take the tough minutes off his plate ...

Do we want Dmitri and Bouchard to come without vet leadership to shelter them and show them around?

32 minutes ago, SuperDave17 said:

I'm kind of leaning in that direction too. 

Also, remember when Schultz was supposed to be our savior on D? Nobody to show him the ropes and take the tough minutes off his plate ...

Do we want Dmitri and Bouchard to come without vet leadership to shelter them and show them around?

I get what you are saying. Shultz was easily a product of going from one of the worst teams in the NHL At the time to the best team in the NHL  that year and was really incubated. So I don't really like that comparison.  I'm pretty sure a lot of young D with good offense would have done wel in the situation. If you you look back at how well and trust worthy of a defense man Adam Larsson use to be. That was because of player development. Scott Stevens had a large hand in developing him, but I feel He wasent done developing him given his age. some guys need mentor and odds are you are more likely to develop with a good mentor with you. But sekera is not a mentor. He's not around enough to be one. And he's not a superstar defenseman that you can really learn off from like a Scott Stevens or how Al MaCinnis developed Chris Pronger into what he turned out. Sekera is not on this level.

The only superstar defenseman we had teaching guys was fired(paul coffey). Which IMO is where the old oilers boys should ever go as far as being. Mentors and player development for the younger guys. Say what you will about Coffey, but he was just starting to change young Jones game. Jones was getting stagnet in his development and Coffey(1 season he was here) got him to shorten his stick and worked with him and Jones just finished a great year(probably make the team) after having a year prior that was a step back. So sekera is not a guy I want teaching anyone anything.  

Do you really want an over paid band aid who plays #5  Defense man(never around)teaching your young guys how to develop? No thanks. Either bring in a Scott neidermeyer for player development or a real defenses man so they can learn. 

Otherwise we might as well have Matt benning just mentor them all.

This is the same problem we have been having with our  goalie coach and young goalies. Dustin Schwartz needs to go he's been around for over 10 years. if by now no one has figured out he sucks then we never will.

Edited by Douggyweighter39

4 hours ago, arturo said:

yah, I don't see it. Some washed up vet that no one wants is going to come to the team with Mcd on it and "be a leader".  You can't rent one anyway, otherwise it will take years, or commitment to years for it to work. 

Messier was still one of the best players in the league at the time. Players follow that anywhere. They named the freaking leadership award after him and that's the example you use? Please find a "Messier" type player for this team and I'll buy it (for about $4 mill/yr though). 

4 hours ago, WHA fan said:

yah, I don't see it. Some washed up vet that no one wants is going to come to the team with Mcd on it and "be a leader".  You can't rent one anyway, otherwise it will take years, or commitment to years for it to work. 

Messier was still one of the best players in the league at the time. Players follow that anywhere. They named the freaking leadership award after him and that's the example you use? Please find a "Messier" type player for this team and I'll buy it (for about $4 mill/yr though). 

you said examples,  i gave you extremes on both end of from super star to role players, you said they cant be imported i gave you examples. i mentioned fehr and england, both would come very cheap easily under 2 million or less.

and no we are not looking for someone to lead along side mcdavid, we are looking for that matt hendricks guy whos a vet and puts his butt on the line game in and out and can give the guys good advice, as while as staying in the line up. so yeah,  we dont need to spend much, fehr is available as a forward. and i would rather have engelland at this point in his carrer than sekera. they both do the same thing except for england his a better leader hands down and not always injured

13 minutes ago, arturo said:

you said examples,  i gave you extremes on both end of from super star to role players, you said they cant be imported i gave you examples. i mentioned fehr and england, both would come very cheap easily under 2 million or less.

and no we are not looking for someone to lead along side mcdavid, we are looking for that matt hendricks guy whos a vet and puts his butt on the line game in and out and can give the guys good advice, as while as staying in the line up. so yeah,  we dont need to spend much, fehr is available as a forward. and i would rather have engelland at this point in his carrer than sekera. they both do the same thing except for england his a better leader hands down and not always injured

Benning's game improved significantly with Sekera in the lineup. Coincidence, I believe not.

1 hour ago, arturo said:

Actually I did not ask for examples. I said if you could find a leader, it wouldn't work from day one. I stand by that. I don't see either of these guys making much of a difference in year one, or maybe ever. Not how it's done, IMO. Just my opinion.  

26 minutes ago, WHA fan said:

Actually I did not ask for examples. I said if you could find a leader, it wouldn't work from day one. I stand by that. I don't see either of these guys making much of a difference in year one, or maybe ever. Not how it's done, IMO. Just my opinion.  

Point is you can import leadership. You said its not possible. It is possible. Like any team it will take a few games some times or sometimes half a season or more,  The guys mentioned would definetly help in the room more than anyone the oilers have as a veteran leader now(and yeah they would help if not from game 1 but pretty quick)

Reading this post I wish we actually had room like boomnotbust mentioned, rather than have sekera. That extra small cap room; We could actually have a leader/veteran like Alex Edler, a guy that could mentor the defenseman on the oilers like klef, Larsson, persson and the rest of the young D men. As mentioned by Arturo and superdave17. Edler was a top high end d man and still put up 34 points on a bad season(last season).

I don't think he would command anywhere near 5.5 million. But still getting edler in our current cap and defense situation is wishful thinking. 

I don't think edler signs for more than 3 million anywhere this year. On a 1 year.

But again wishful thinking. I really hope sekera can stay healthy and do something, because if we are relying in his leadership and mentoring we are lost. We need this guy to put 30 points and be an effective point producer like he was brought into do. At the very least stay healthy but he can't even mange that. The last 2 seasons have been a disaster with his injuries 

12 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

I'm not sure you're 'right' about that. Even with his injuries, he's a much better dman than say Dion Phaneuf who just got bought out. That was a terrible contract. The way I see it, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain by keeping him. If he suffers another major injury, his salary is protected and who knows, he may be forced to retire. If he has a good off season and comes to camp healthy and refreshed - well I got two words for you "Load Managment". Look no further than Kawhi Leonard. You think Sek's injuries are bad? Leonard had his knee totally destroyed and he missed almost three full seasons with it. But with proper management all he did was bring a title to the Raptors. Now I'm not comparing Sek's talent to Kawhi's - but I am comparing the injuries and how Sek can come back like Leonard did. And as mentioned, he looked really good for a guy who hadn't played much in the past two years and he really shined at the WHC this year. 

And as we've been telling you - clearing cap space is one thing but who do you bring in for that cap space? Dion Phaneouf? It's not as easy as you may think it is. We could end up with someone more expensive who's a bad dman (Sekera is not a bad dman - overpaid - this past season, yes but we need to wait for the upcoming one). 

But who know's? I suspect a lot of roster changes this off season and into training camp. So we shall see what happens. 

Well you are entitled to your opinion but I don't agree we are better of with Sekera than without given our salary cap situation. His contract maybe looks good if you handpicked one of the worst contracts in the league in Dion Phaenuf to compare to but it isn't an average contract. Incidentally Dion Phaeuf fell off a cliff as he appraoched mid 30s, which is Sekera's age bracket. Cap space has big value, I would be happy to take my chances with 5.5 million in cap to spend that you could do better than 33 year old injury prone Andrej Sekera. 

Kwahi Leonard career GP: 64, 58, 66, 64, 72, 74, 9, 60, I don't see where he miss nearly 3 seasons and he is 27 so there are some key differences (in addition of course to the talent).

He did look better than I expected last season but won't play up to his contract the next seasosn if he can stay healthy, which is a big if. 

17 hours ago, BoomnotBust said:

Well you are entitled to your opinion but I don't agree we are better of with Sekera than without given our salary cap situation. His contract maybe looks good if you handpicked one of the worst contracts in the league in Dion Phaenuf to compare to but it isn't an average contract. Incidentally Dion Phaeuf fell off a cliff as he appraoched mid 30s, which is Sekera's age bracket. Cap space has big value, I would be happy to take my chances with 5.5 million in cap to spend that you could do better than 33 year old injury prone Andrej Sekera. 

Kwahi Leonard career GP: 64, 58, 66, 64, 72, 74, 9, 60, I don't see where he miss nearly 3 seasons and he is 27 so there are some key differences (in addition of course to the talent).

He did look better than I expected last season but won't play up to his contract the next seasosn if he can stay healthy, which is a big if. 

Well, do you want us to be better next year, or do you want a tear down? I'm not sure where you are coming from with that. If you want us to tear down, then moving on contracts like Sekera makes absolute sense. If you want us to compete for a playoff spot next year - then you need a 5.5 million dollar veteran dman to replace Sek's contract with. 

BTW - did you see Kevin Haye's new deal with Philly? His best year goals wise was 17/18 where he had 25 goals (only season he managed more than 20 goals btw) and poiints wise was this year in NY/WPG where he combined for 54 points. Well, in  case you missed it, he signed an seven year 50 million dollar deal - that's a cap hit of slightly over 7 million dollars a season. He's not a dman granted, but he's not even close to being an allstar.

So, at the rate these NHL salaries are going up - what exactly do you think we can get for 5.5 million a year? On the UFA market I highly doubt we'd improve on what Sekera brings today, and in a trade - well I already know you wouldn't give up anything of value for him since you think so little of him. So why would a GM of another team give up a solid player making around his salary for him? See the dilemma?

2 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Well, do you want us to be better next year, or do you want a tear down? I'm not sure where you are coming from with that. If you want us to tear down, then moving on contracts like Sekera makes absolute sense. If you want us to compete for a playoff spot next year - then you need a 5.5 million dollar veteran dman to replace Sek's contract with. 

BTW - did you see Kevin Haye's new deal with Philly? His best year goals wise was 17/18 where he had 25 goals (only season he managed more than 20 goals btw) and poiints wise was this year in NY/WPG where he combined for 54 points. Well, in  case you missed it, he signed an seven year 50 million dollar deal - that's a cap hit of slightly over 7 million dollars a season. He's not a dman granted, but he's not even close to being an allstar.

So, at the rate these NHL salaries are going up - what exactly do you think we can get for 5.5 million a year? On the UFA market I highly doubt we'd improve on what Sekera brings today, and in a trade - well I already know you wouldn't give up anything of value for him since you think so little of him. So why would a GM of another team give up a solid player making around his salary for him? See the dilemma?

So you don't think cap space is helpful? Cap space opens up lots of possibilities, signing, trades from teams up against the cap. 24 year old Olli Maata with a 4 million cap hit was just traded for example. 

1 hour ago, BoomnotBust said:

So you don't think cap space is helpful? Cap space opens up lots of possibilities, signing, trades from teams up against the cap. 24 year old Olli Maata with a 4 million cap hit was just traded for example. 

Cap space is used to get better players.Like Sekera is a better player than Maatta. Looking at Maatta's minutes and usage in Pitts, it looks like they figured out that he wasn't worth his $$$

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

17 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

Cap space is used to get better players.Like Sekera is a better player than Maatta. Looking at Maatta's minutes and usage in Pitts, it looks like they figured out that he wasn't worth his $$$

Incidentally Maata played more minutes per game than Sekera and on a team with a deeper defense, he'd play more here. Maatta is 24 (25  and heading into his prime) Sekera is 33. Sekera has played 60 games the past two years Maata 142, you'd be crazy to value Sekera over Maata going forward.

Edited by BoomnotBust

8 minutes ago, BoomnotBust said:

Incidentally Maata played more minutes per game than Sekera and on a team with a deeper defense, he'd play more here. Maatta is 24 (25  and heading into his prime, Sekera is 33. Sekera has played 60 games the past two years Maata 142, you'd be crazy to value Sekera over Maata going forward.

Letang, Schultz, and Gudbranson make Maata expendable. We don't have that depth and we've seen it on the ice without Sekera the last two years. We don't have anyone else who can run a powerplay, and we don't have a prospect ready to come in and do it. 

Remember, cap space in Edmonton doesn't mean FA's will come. 

1 hour ago, Fogolin2 said:

Letang, Schultz, and Gudbranson make Maata expendable. We don't have that depth and we've seen it on the ice without Sekera the last two years. We don't have anyone else who can run a powerplay, and we don't have a prospect ready to come in and do it. 

Remember, cap space in Edmonton doesn't mean FA's will come. 

If you can't sign a free agent then you can use the cap space to trade for a player that will help you, like the Maata example I threw out.

3 minutes ago, BoomnotBust said:

If you can't sign a free agent then you can use the cap space to trade for a player that will help you, like the Maata example I threw out.

And, I think that downgrade from Sekera to Maatta isn't worth it for 1.4m of cap savings. Agree to disagree.

3 hours ago, BoomnotBust said:

So you trade Sekera to create cap space, but don't get anything back.

Then you trade someone else to get a player that has value to fill Sekera's spot.

How do you replace the player that has value that you just traded away?

It is true that having Cap Space can give you options.  But it is also true that your options are extremely limited if you can't fill your roster with value, because you have a roster with low/limited value.  Vancouver last year had about 10 million of Cap Space, and Edmonton the year before had about 8.5 million.  Neither team had the ability to make use of the "options" they had available to get a playoff roster together.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

16 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

So you trade Sekera to create cap space, but don't get anything back.

Then you trade someone else to get a player that has value to fill Sekera's spot.

How do you replace the player that has value that you just traded away?

It is true that having Cap Space can give you options.  But it is also true that your options are extremely limited if you can't fill your roster with value, because you have a roster with low/limited value.  Vancouver last year had about 10 million of Cap Space, and Edmonton the year before had about 8.5 million.  Neither team had the ability to make use of the "options" they had available to get a playoff roster together.

I think the situations are different. Vancouver is in a rebuild and aren't as worried about making the playoffs as they are building through the draft rather than signing free agents or making trades to get better today. Why did Edmonton have so much unused cap space in 2017-18 is a good question. Probably the best answer is that Chiarelli is an idiot. He went out of his way to create cap space for that year that he didn't need when he traded Eberle for Strome.

12 minutes ago, BoomnotBust said:

I think the situations are different. Vancouver is in a rebuild and aren't as worried about making the playoffs as they are building through the draft rather than signing free agents or making trades to get better today. Why did Edmonton have so much unused cap space in 2017-18 is a good question. Probably the best answer is that Chiarelli is an idiot. He went out of his way to create cap space for that year that he didn't need when he traded Eberle for Strome.

I'm sure we offered that money to some guys, and none of them took it. Maybe we should appreciate the guys that actually came to Edmonton.

45 minutes ago, BoomnotBust said:

You're an idiot if you think offers weren't sent out by Chiarelli. Reality is that Edmonton is not a desirable place for Free Agents to come play. Weather is a big thing, and taxes as well. Taxes for athletes are lower in some US cities than it is for us, which makes us HAVE to overpay for Free Agents. For example, Dallas, Nashville, Tampa, and a few others. They pay more than 11% less taxes than players in Edmonton. They could sign players for less than we would need to, making their cap hits per player lower.

You're an idiot if you think offers weren't sent out by Chiarelli. Reality is that Edmonton is not a desirable place for Free Agents to come play. Weather is a big thing, and taxes as well. Taxes for athletes are lower in some US cities than it is for us, which makes us HAVE to overpay for Free Agents. For example, Dallas, Nashville, Tampa, and a few others. They pay more than 11% less taxes than players in Edmonton. They could sign players for less than we would need to, making their cap hits per player lower.

I've never heard the players talk about weather, but they have talked about the entitled fans and media. In a small market where the Oilers are the only thing going on, it's a fishbowl.

All the more reason to not weaken the team by trading away a bigger salary better player (Eberle) for a smaller salary lesser player (Strome), that's the thing I called Chiarelli an idiot for if you actually read the post.