The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
arturo

and Dave Tippet is our New Head Coach.

1 hour ago, BoomnotBust said:

All the more reason to not weaken the team by trading away a bigger salary better player (Eberle) for a smaller salary lesser player (Strome), that's the thing I called Chiarelli an idiot for if you actually read the post.

You said the answer to why Edmonton had so much unused cap space is that Chiarelli was an idiot.

"Why did Edmonton have so much unused cap space in 2017-18 is a good question. Probably the best answer is that Chiarelli is an idiot."

Thats when I replied stating that you're an idiot if you think Chiarelli didn't try to use the space by acquiring FAs.

1 hour ago, Fogolin2 said:

I've never heard the players talk about weather, but they have talked about the entitled fans and media. In a small market where the Oilers are the only thing going on, it's a fishbowl.

I stated weather cause I think that's a common sense reason :P lol. May not be true, but I think it is.

18 minutes ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

You said the answer to why Edmonton had so much unused cap space is that Chiarelli was an idiot.

"Why did Edmonton have so much unused cap space in 2017-18 is a good question. Probably the best answer is that Chiarelli is an idiot."

Thats when I replied stating that you're an idiot if you think Chiarelli didn't try to use the space by acquiring FAs.

any you're an idiot if you think Chiarelli did a good job that offseason

6 minutes ago, BoomnotBust said:

any you're an idiot if you think Chiarelli did a good job that offseason

Where did I once say he did a good job? All I said is that you're an idiot if you think he didn't try to use the cap space. Never once did I say he did a good job as GM. In the past, I have always wanted to give him a shot, even after some seriously questionable moves, but I've never said he did a GOOD job. 

9 minutes ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

Where did I once say he did a good job? All I said is that you're an idiot if you think he didn't try to use the cap space. Never once did I say he did a good job as GM. In the past, I have always wanted to give him a shot, even after some seriously questionable moves, but I've never said he did a GOOD job. 

If his intent was to use cap space then trading Eberle for Strome was quantum singularity backwards.

1 minute ago, BoomnotBust said:

If his intent was to use cap space then trading Eberle for Strome was quantum singularity backwards.

So what you're saying is, clearing up space in order to try and sign FAs is a quantum singularity backwards plan?

15 minutes ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

So what you're saying is, clearing up space in order to try and sign FAs is a quantum singularity backwards plan?

Depends on the situation; the player/contract being traded, the player being acquired, the cap situation. In this case it was a dumb trade because it weakened the roster for 2017-18 and there was no cap pressure to make that move.

12 minutes ago, BoomnotBust said:

Depends on the situation; the player/contract being traded, the player being acquired, the cap situation. In this case it was a dumb trade because it weakened the roster for 2017-18 and there was no cap pressure to make that move.

The point of the move was to make cap space for the off season. If a GM sends out offers, and a player ultimately chooses not to sign with a team, that makes a GM an idiot? Other factors could have been in play too. Like another trade was set, but Chiarelli needed to clear space for it, but other side pulled out last minute. Also, half the fan base was calling for Eberle's head after his abysmal Playoff performance. That could have been another factor in the trade as well.  

Edited by BL4NKF4CE

13 hours ago, BoomnotBust said:

So you don't think cap space is helpful? Cap space opens up lots of possibilities, signing, trades from teams up against the cap. 24 year old Olli Maata with a 4 million cap hit was just traded for example. 

Cap space is only helpful if you use it wisely. Two years ago we had over 7 M in cap space and did nothing with it. To this day, I honestly believe that PC was trying but he couldn't get anywhere. As an example, we are most definitely not a #1 destination for UFA's. We can get them,  but we need to overpay. This is why I mentioned Kevin Hayes' contract. He's not even come close to RNH (save this season) in points and he's now making over a million more than him. So you manage to dump Sekera's contract on a  deal - what exactly do you expect back? Are you expecting a top level player who is on a cap friendly contract? Good luck with that one - PC isn't a GM for another team yet.

Another option is we can buy him out. But if we do, you won't be saving the team 5.5M, you'll be saving the team 3M, as Sek will cost us 2.5M in cap space in year one and year two of the buy out. In year's 3 and 4, we save a bit more as his buyout price is now 1.5M. 

So name me a dman who we can get for 3M a year that would be better. And please, don't say Engelland, he's not better, he's slower than Sek, he can't handle the puck like Sek, he can't pass as well him, and he doesn't have Sek's hockey smarts. Oh, and he's 38 years old - spent most of his career in the minor's or as a 7th dman. You think he's better (I know Art thinks that for some reason, I'm not being rhetorical I'm just throwing a name out there that has been spoken about already on this thread).

It's really really for us fans to just spout off stuff like "just buy him out" or 'trade him' but if it was that easy, one of us would be a GM. Now, I'm not saying it's not possible, or even won't happen. What I am saying is that it's not as cut and dry as you and others seem to think. 

Bottom line is - we have Sekera for two more years - and (provided he can stay healthy) I'd rather have him on our roster (again healthy) for those two years then buying him out or trading him and getting a worse player back (we won't get a better player back that I can almost guarantee). 

BTW - as an aside - the Salary Cap is now projected at 82M, or maybe even 81.5M (as opposed to the original number of 83M being talked about at Christmas). But our cap is at (if lets say it is 81.5M) 79.866M! Do you know why? Because we're paying Eric Gryba 300,000 and Benoit Pouliot 1.333M to NOT play for us. Do you get it yet? Every buy out hurts you down the road. The buyout's you have, the less money you'll have to work with and players salaries are going up every year. 

Personally I hate dead money. I never would have signed Gryba to begin with and if I had I would not have bought him out. Pouliot, I would have bought out in his last year. I'd never pay a guy for FOUR years not to play here (or more). 

So for me, unless PC lands a job somewhere and takes Sekera off our hands, I say we keep him for at least this season. Hey, who knows, he may have a great year, may be too rich for us to keep, but because of his great year we can trade him to another team (a team that is either pushing for a playoff spot or adding for their playoff season) at the trade deadline and we get some good picks/prospects for him. Better than anything we do now. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Cap space is only helpful if you use it wisely. Two years ago we had over 7 M in cap space and did nothing with it. To this day, I honestly believe that PC was trying but he couldn't get anywhere. As an example, we are most definitely not a #1 destination for UFA's. We can get them,  but we need to overpay. This is why I mentioned Kevin Hayes' contract. He's not even come close to RNH (save this season) in points and he's now making over a million more than him. So you manage to dump Sekera's contract on a  deal - what exactly do you expect back? Are you expecting a top level player who is on a cap friendly contract? Good luck with that one - PC isn't a GM for another team yet.

Another option is we can buy him out. But if we do, you won't be saving the team 5.5M, you'll be saving the team 3M, as Sek will cost us 2.5M in cap space in year one and year two of the buy out. In year's 3 and 4, we save a bit more as his buyout price is now 1.5M. 

So name me a dman who we can get for 3M a year that would be better. And please, don't say Engelland, he's not better, he's slower than Sek, he can't handle the puck like Sek, he can't pass as well him, and he doesn't have Sek's hockey smarts. Oh, and he's 38 years old - spent most of his career in the minor's or as a 7th dman. You think he's better (I know Art thinks that for some reason, I'm not being rhetorical I'm just throwing a name out there that has been spoken about already on this thread).

It's really really for us fans to just spout off stuff like "just buy him out" or 'trade him' but if it was that easy, one of us would be a GM. Now, I'm not saying it's not possible, or even won't happen. What I am saying is that it's not as cut and dry as you and others seem to think. 

Bottom line is - we have Sekera for two more years - and (provided he can stay healthy) I'd rather have him on our roster (again healthy) for those two years then buying him out or trading him and getting a worse player back (we won't get a better player back that I can almost guarantee). 

BTW - as an aside - the Salary Cap is now projected at 82M, or maybe even 81.5M (as opposed to the original number of 83M being talked about at Christmas). But our cap is at (if lets say it is 81.5M) 79.866M! Do you know why? Because we're paying Eric Gryba 300,000 and Benoit Pouliot 1.333M to NOT play for us. Do you get it yet? Every buy out hurts you down the road. The buyout's you have, the less money you'll have to work with and players salaries are going up every year. 

Personally I hate dead money. I never would have signed Gryba to begin with and if I had I would not have bought him out. Pouliot, I would have bought out in his last year. I'd never pay a guy for FOUR years not to play here (or more). 

So for me, unless PC lands a job somewhere and takes Sekera off our hands, I say we keep him for at least this season. Hey, who knows, he may have a great year, may be too rich for us to keep, but because of his great year we can trade him to another team (a team that is either pushing for a playoff spot or adding for their playoff season) at the trade deadline and we get some good picks/prospects for him. Better than anything we do now. 

Sekera would be the last of the bad contracts to buy out; of the 4 russel. Kosk, lucic. Not that much upside like you said oilyjet unless we have a good signing to spend it on.

England would be a better leader and would actually be considered better than sekera. Just based on the fact that sekera hardly ever plays for us anymore so, not really an argument if one is so much younger faster(but never plays).  If sekera gets hurt again ? What are we really losing. He does not play very much anyways.

We should do what the leafs did with lupus and just force him to long term injury( if he gets hurt again).

Don't know about you. But I've had enough if this guys injuries. It's at that Sheldon souray, Ryan Whitney and Andrew ferance point. So 2 straight seasons of being out losing over 100 man games from him. When was suppose to be the #1 guy. And now can't even back the top  4 .

I think people are getting frustrated with sekera, this and probably most of the reason they want to see him gone. Because at his age it's not like he's coming back to a 30-40 point seasons anymore. People just see a pattern that has happen to us before, and it's  a very good %  it looks like it will happen again(the horrible big name D signings).

What do you think of he gets hurt again oilyjet , what's the plan?

Most people seem like they are just thinking ahead of what will happen, he will just get hurt again. I would say most people are right. He's very injury prone now and he's old. What do you do?

5 hours ago, Douggyweighter39 said:

Sekera would be the last of the bad contracts to buy out; of the 4 russel. Kosk, lucic. Not that much upside like you said oilyjet unless we have a good signing to spend it on.

England would be a better leader and would actually be considered better than sekera. Just based on the fact that sekera hardly ever plays for us anymore so, not really an argument if one is so much younger faster(but never plays).  If sekera gets hurt again ? What are we really losing. He does not play very much anyways.

We should do what the leafs did with lupus and just force him to long term injury( if he gets hurt again).

Don't know about you. But I've had enough if this guys injuries. It's at that Sheldon souray, Ryan Whitney and Andrew ferance point. So 2 straight seasons of being out losing over 100 man games from him. When was suppose to be the #1 guy. And now can't even back the top  4 .

I think people are getting frustrated with sekera, this and probably most of the reason they want to see him gone. Because at his age it's not like he's coming back to a 30-40 point seasons anymore. People just see a pattern that has happen to us before, and it's  a very good %  it looks like it will happen again(the horrible big name D signings).

What do you think of he gets hurt again oilyjet , what's the plan?

Most people seem like they are just thinking ahead of what will happen, he will just get hurt again. I would say most people are right. He's very injury prone now and he's old. What do you do?

He's not that old actually - he's 33. In hockey terms he's no spring chicken, but he's not 38 (like Engelland). Its sounds like Vegas isn't even interested in re-signing him. Still not sure why some think he's better than Sek - he's not. If he were, Vegas would sign him, trust me (he'd play there for cheap - it's his home and taxes are favorable there).

If Sek gets hurt again - and goes on LTIR - well there's your cap space. No trade required (for a worse player on just as bad a contract) or buyout required. How would you feel if we bought him out, he went to another team, and was hurt there? TBH I have no idea what the rules are but if that 2.5M for us was still on our books and hitting our cap because of the buyout but he couldn't play............. that would really suck. 

I get your angst, but Achilles injuries are happening more and more to lots of players. He took a bad check from Getzlaf making a play in the playoffs that tore up his knee. Other than those two (albeit devastating) injuries, he has not been injury prone at all. You are 100% correct in that he's been passed on the depth chart now and is our #3 LDman - is that bad? I don't think so. We'd be as bad on defense as we are on wings if neither/either Nurse or Kelfbom could pass him in the depth chart by now, even if Sek were healthy.

You think he will 'just get hurt again' and 'thinking ahead'. Well guess what, there's not one Oiler, including McDavid - who won't get 'hurt' and miss some games, thinking ahead that is. So I really don't understand that. 

Like I said, unless someone is willing to take a chance on him and make a hockey trade with us, we should keep him. At least for this upcoming season. When the season is over - if we can't trade him outright for a pick a the deadline, then we buy him out. We most likely will need to then as we'll need a good chunk of his salary to pay Nurse. if you're thinking ahead, then think ahead - Nurse will be paid - how much 'dead' money do you think we can afford to have?

12 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

He's not that old actually - he's 33. In hockey terms he's no spring chicken, but he's not 38 (like Engelland). Its sounds like Vegas isn't even interested in re-signing him. Still not sure why some think he's better than Sek - he's not. If he were, Vegas would sign him, trust me (he'd play there for cheap - it's his home and taxes are favorable there).

If Sek gets hurt again - and goes on LTIR - well there's your cap space. No trade required (for a worse player on just as bad a contract) or buyout required. How would you feel if we bought him out, he went to another team, and was hurt there? TBH I have no idea what the rules are but if that 2.5M for us was still on our books and hitting our cap because of the buyout but he couldn't play............. that would really suck. 

I get your angst, but Achilles injuries are happening more and more to lots of players. He took a bad check from Getzlaf making a play in the playoffs that tore up his knee. Other than those two (albeit devastating) injuries, he has not been injury prone at all. You are 100% correct in that he's been passed on the depth chart now and is our #3 LDman - is that bad? I don't think so. We'd be as bad on defense as we are on wings if neither/either Nurse or Kelfbom could pass him in the depth chart by now, even if Sek were healthy.

You think he will 'just get hurt again' and 'thinking ahead'. Well guess what, there's not one Oiler, including McDavid - who won't get 'hurt' and miss some games, thinking ahead that is. So I really don't understand that. 

Like I said, unless someone is willing to take a chance on him and make a hockey trade with us, we should keep him. At least for this upcoming season. When the season is over - if we can't trade him outright for a pick a the deadline, then we buy him out. We most likely will need to then as we'll need a good chunk of his salary to pay Nurse. if you're thinking ahead, then think ahead - Nurse will be paid - how much 'dead' money do you think we can afford to have?

Exactly. Once a guy has a couple of injuries, people here write them off pretty quick as made of glass. It's a tough game. People get hurt. Sek should stay. We have actual problems to deal with. An above avg. D for 5 mill is not one of them. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

You are miss reading things. I said people think. But yes I do agree about England being better. Soley on the fact that he's a good leader and he actually plays. Sekera has lost over 100 games due to injury. So the last 2 years. Yes, I would rather have England right now.

As well I said yes I would do the same thing the leafs did with lupul. Because yes, the cap does not count against the cap against us. This is why I said this was my favorite option(force him to stay on ling term injury).

So don't know what some of your counter points are. I am speaking from what most people are saying perspective and I make it clear when I state my own. So not put words in my mouth please. Just want to be clear you are reading correctly, so no miscominications happen.

Also when did he play #3 on our depth chart? Hes at #5 when healthy. I never seen him play without benning. That's bottom pair to me. Also shows that's on all roster line up charts.

Edited by Douggyweighter39

On 6/18/2019 at 5:21 AM, Yuke said:

Benning's game improved significantly with Sekera in the lineup. Coincidence, I believe not.

huh? are you making a point or did you reply to the wrong person? i never spoke on bening in the post. but i do agree with you benning is better with sekera along side.

3 minutes ago, arturo said:

huh? are you making a point or did you reply to the wrong person? i never spoke on bening in the post. but i do agree with you benning is better with sekera along side.

I think he said that because you said you'd rather have Engelland than Sekera.

On 6/18/2019 at 11:27 AM, BoomnotBust said:

Well you are entitled to your opinion but I don't agree we are better of with Sekera than without given our salary cap situation. His contract maybe looks good if you handpicked one of the worst contracts in the league in Dion Phaenuf to compare to but it isn't an average contract. Incidentally Dion Phaeuf fell off a cliff as he appraoched mid 30s, which is Sekera's age bracket. Cap space has big value, I would be happy to take my chances with 5.5 million in cap to spend that you could do better than 33 year old injury prone Andrej Sekera. 

Kwahi Leonard career GP: 64, 58, 66, 64, 72, 74, 9, 60, I don't see where he miss nearly 3 seasons and he is 27 so there are some key differences (in addition of course to the talent).

He did look better than I expected last season but won't play up to his contract the next seasosn if he can stay healthy, which is a big if. 

yeah agreed,  sekera has missed over 100 games in 2 season. i like sekera but hes never healthy. these kwaii comparisons are stupid as well, i know you didnt bring them up and oilyjet is reaching. totally different sport. load management  would be totally different and would not work on a team like the oiler vs the raptors, if oilyjet had an understanding of basketball he would know that.

our team is not good enough to load manage sekera, what a joke. we are not a playoff team to load manage, we dont have 4 all stars to pick up the slack and guy who could win 6th man of the year. we dont have that team so the lead management is not an answer.

6 minutes ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

I think he said that because you said you'd rather have Engelland than Sekera.

oh ic, only reason i say this, is because what we would get . sekera never plays hockey for us anymore vs a guy who stays healthy and is a good leader. just that fact alone. i want sekera to be healthy, but its been years since we have seen him at 100%. guy has lost over 100 games due to injury in 2 years. that painful.

2 hours ago, WHA fan said:

Exactly. Once a guy has a couple of injuries, people here write them off pretty quick as made of glass. It's a tough game. People get hurt. Sek should stay. We have actual problems to deal with. An above avg. D for 5 mill is not one of them. 

well to be fair at his age, odds are really against him to be, what we paid him to be. Hes not going to our number 1 D. our realistic option is that he puts up 20 pts and gets to be in our top 4.  33 is old in todays NHL. being his age with playoff experience use to be a huge asset, but its not like that anymore. injuries at his age is a write off nearly every time. i want him to come back and be healthy. he  would probably be more helpful just to stay on long term injury, for the cap space if he gets hurt again.  i mean hes not a leader. what do you do?

27 minutes ago, Douggyweighter39 said:

You are miss reading things. I said people think. But yes I do agree about England being better. Soley on the fact that he's a good leader and he actually plays. Sekera has lost over 100 games due to injury. So the last 2 years. Yes, I would rather have England right now.

As well I said yes I would do the same thing the leafs did with lupul. Because yes, the cap does not count against the cap against us. This is why I said this was my favorite option(force him to stay on ling term injury).

So don't know what some of your counter points are. I am speaking from what most people are saying perspective and I make it clear when I state my own. So not put words in my mouth please. Just want to be clear you are reading correctly, so no miscominications happen.

Also when did he play #3 on our depth chart? Hes at #5 when healthy. I never seen him play without benning. That's bottom pair to me. Also shows that's on all roster line up charts.

yeah agreed,  a 38 year old england whos healthy is better than 33 year old who does not play hardly ever. but its not like the oilers are going after him, i dont get why people are upset about this.

13 minutes ago, arturo said:

oh ic, only reason i say this, is because what we would get . sekera never plays hockey for us anymore vs a guy who stays healthy and is a good leader. just that fact alone. i want sekera to be healthy, but its been years since we have seen him at 100%. guy has lost over 100 games due to injury in 2 years. that painful.

True, but I'd still rather have the 33 year old Sekera over a 37 year old Engelland.

Just now, BL4NKF4CE said:

True, but I'd still rather have the 33 year old Sekera over a 37 year old Engelland.

i wish he was the guy we paid him to be, boy did that derail really fast, hes turning into the pattern of big D men signing that get hurt, starting to remind me , of souray, whitney and ferance. if he gets hurt again, hes definitely deserving of being grouped in with those guys. but i just holding onto him being healthy for 1 season.

4 minutes ago, arturo said:

i wish he was the guy we paid him to be, boy did that derail really fast, hes turning into the pattern of big D men signing that get hurt, starting to remind me , of souray, whitney and ferance. if he gets hurt again, hes definitely deserving of being grouped in with those guys. but i just holding onto him being healthy for 1 season.

He is. When he plays he's a solid defender that makes the players around him better. I don't think I could say that about Ference, or Whitney, maybe Souray. Souray did have his second best career season with us. Another thing that'll I'll defend Souray on is the fact that management (Kevin Lowe) forced Souray to play even though Souray felt he wasn't 100% yet. That could have played a MAJOR factor into his consistent injuries.

1 minute ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

He is. When he plays he's a solid defender that makes the players around him better. I don't think I could say that about Ference, or Whitney, maybe Souray. Souray did have his second best career season with us. Another thing that'll I'll defend Souray on is the fact that management (Kevin Lowe) forced Souray to play even though Souray felt he wasn't 100% yet. That could have played a MAJOR factor into his consistent injuries.

yeah agree with you about lowe being a jerk about forcing him to play and being a better defender. souray i will say went a purposefully started a fight to hurt himself further. total, baby move, Souray was a horrible defender as a defense, but good point producer. he was overrated, and went no where after oilers let him walk.

im comparing them as a D man that was suppose to make a difference on our team but just ended up being hurt a majority of the time instead. its like oh, i hate edmonton so ill just stay hurt and ride out my years with this nice retirement contract.

thats what we are known for now with old D men it seems like. we should have a slogan.

"are you a D man in your prime years, well sign with us and make it your twilight years and retire in edmonton!"

LOL

1 hour ago, Douggyweighter39 said:

#3 in terms of his position. Not sure if he can play on the right or not - so Nurse/Klef are clearly ahead of him now (and again, that's a good thing) so yes, he's the #3 LD - on the third pairing. 

Engelland is 38 years old - a career AHLer/#7 / #6 dman. I totally disagree that he's a better player. Better leader? Probably. But you think he'll stay healthy this year (if he even plays?). 

And btw - you can't LTIR a guy unless he can't play. Did you not see the WHC this year? Sekera is 100% healthy so he can't be LTIR'd. 

Not sure why you (and Art) want to run him out of town so badly. From what I remember, last time he had a healthy season, we had over 100 points, finished second, came really close to advancing to the third round of the playoffs. Just to remind you, Mr. Sekera , in the playoffs, was outstanding - his worst game of the playoffs was far better than Engelland's best game of his career. And neither one of you have said what to do with the money,  other than getting Engelland Do you want to pay that guy 3 million a year? At 38 years old? If not, what else do you do to replace Sekera with that 3 Million? What player do you get that will be as good as Sek for 3 million. Legit question - give me a name that is worthy and you'll sway me. That name isn't Engelland for me btw - he's not even close (talent wise) to Sekera. Never was and at 38 never will be. 

• Like 1

Edler got 6 mil per for 2 years. Sek is a bit expensive but falls in line with today's salaries. Showed signs of getting back to form. But nothing is for sure.

Hopefully our d stays healthy this year and with Jones, Bear and Vouch each with some nhl experience we have added depth.

Last year when klef and Russ went down the team really struggled. Difference between playoffs and no playoffs right there.

The Oilers still have unplayable Brandon Manning under one way contract for almost 2.5 million, and arguing that Sekera is the biggest problem contract wise?   Really?

Fire Sekera OUT, force Manning into the lineup.  And somehow the Oilers are a better team?

Holland has a ROYALparty mess to clean up.  Starting this year.  But not finishing any time soon.  This season is a write off for renovations.  The party that was the Red Wine Summit left gigantic stains on the walls, carpet, furniture, and drapes, and the stench of their vomit and molding caviar and other un-eaten party treats is lingering in the hallways and bathrooms.  The House needs to be aired (erred) out, bleached, and deodorized before the water is even bathe-able much less drinkable.

Until then ... Sekera is more than a serviceable NHL level defender, at a more than affordable contract price.

• Haha 1

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

3 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

The Oilers still have unplayable Brandon Manning under one way contract for almost 2.5 million, and arguing that Sekera is the biggest problem contract wise?   Really?

Fire Sekera OUT, force Manning into the lineup.  And somehow the Oilers are a better team?

Holland has a ROYALparty mess to clean up.  Starting this year.  But not finishing any time soon.  This season is a write off for renovations.  The party that was the Red Wine Summit left gigantic stains on the walls, carpet, furniture, and drapes, and the stench of their vomit and molding caviar and other un-eaten party treats is lingering in the hallways and bathrooms.  The House needs to be aired (erred) out, bleached, and deodorized before the water is even bathe-able much less drinkable.

Until then ... Sekera is more than a serviceable NHL level defender, at a more than affordable contract price.

Yup, but these reno's are taking more than this season IMO.  It's going to be a few years before we have a competitive team IF this management finally gets it right.

and as for Sekera, it boggles my mind that people are writing him off.  He was our best D before his injury, I wouldn't be willing to move him out before giving him a year to prove himself.

• Like 1

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

5 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

This time last year I wanted to trade Sekera and it was because of his age and salary. Then he had the off season injury and I was even more pissed, Chia never filled the hole and when he finally did get some defenceman it was the likes of Manning, Petrovic or that shrimp from Ottawa. When Sekera did come back he was better than I thought he’d be, he would actually pinch at the offensive blue line and keep the puck in deep, rarely did he get burned. It was a breath of fresh air considering the garbage we had to watch for months. When Edler is getting 6m Sekera’s contract doesn’t look so bad and when the other options are the PC band-aid garbage he looks even better. After PC sewered this team last year Sekera is the least of our problems.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, OilyJetFan said:

#3 in terms of his position. Not sure if he can play on the right or not - so Nurse/Klef are clearly ahead of him now (and again, that's a good thing) so yes, he's the #3 LD - on the third pairing. 

Engelland is 38 years old - a career AHLer/#7 / #6 dman. I totally disagree that he's a better player. Better leader? Probably. But you think he'll stay healthy this year (if he even plays?). 

And btw - you can't LTIR a guy unless he can't play. Did you not see the WHC this year? Sekera is 100% healthy so he can't be LTIR'd. 

Not sure why you (and Art) want to run him out of town so badly. From what I remember, last time he had a healthy season, we had over 100 points, finished second, came really close to advancing to the third round of the playoffs. Just to remind you, Mr. Sekera , in the playoffs, was outstanding - his worst game of the playoffs was far better than Engelland's best game of his career. And neither one of you have said what to do with the money,  other than getting Engelland Do you want to pay that guy 3 million a year? At 38 years old? If not, what else do you do to replace Sekera with that 3 Million? What player do you get that will be as good as Sek for 3 million. Legit question - give me a name that is worthy and you'll sway me. That name isn't Engelland for me btw - he's not even close (talent wise) to Sekera. Never was and at 38 never will be. 

you can force a guy on long term. ask lupol. guy even said in an interview he was healthy enough to play. the leafs forced him not play. last time sekera was healthy was 3 years ago, and does not look like that guy he was when we went to playoffs at any point since. as for better option, a healthy guy like england who stays in a line up will be better than a guy who does not any day of the week, i do think sekera is better when healthy. but its been so long since hes played a healthy season.

as for a leader, the guys in vegas talk about his integrity and how good of a leader he is, i dont think ive ever heard anyone call sekera a leader at any point hes been here, nor has sekera ever wore a letter.

and no is saying to replace him, his contract make it too to do so and hes not providing his end of the deal. too much effort for little reward, he is just a problem among many, his contract sucks and ranked at #4 or $5 worst contract on the oilers. but sometimes you gotta buy someone out, but i would buyout kosk before sekera. hes just frustrating to watch for 5.5 million per.

There was medical proof from Leaf doctors to keep Lupal out. 

Pretty hard to find that on Sekera since his injuries obviously have healed and he was passed by doctor(s).

Edited by Yuke