The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
dkers77

What would you try to do this summer if you were Ken?

Here's my 2 cents...

Sign a proven goalie to play 30 + games. Top choices: Elliott or Varlarmov.

Trade Benning for winger. Example: C.Brown.

Trade Khaira to team looking for forwards on the cheap because of cap issues. Example: Vegas.        Khaira + for Haula or Eakin. Vegas will move one of them...both 1 year from UFA, but can fill 3C this year. Good stop gaps for McLeods development. 

Qualify Puljujarvi, to retain rights. Unless there's a desirable hockey trade to be made...

Use 8th pick to select Rapheal Lavoie. There's other RW's rated slightly higher, but ones Yamamoto 2.0, and the other will attend Boston college for up to 4 years...Lavoie is an older draftee, whom could make the jump sooner IMO. A little off the board at 8, but had a great Memorial Cup...

Sign UFA like Ferland for upwards of 4M...other notables in that range or less: Donskoi, Connolly, Filppula, Tanev, Panik, etc...

Trade or buyout Russell, I think it makes more sense than Sekera...we get nailed next year, but less cap hit in the long run, and more relief this year. Trade would be preferable. 

Make the Lucic for Eriksson trade. IF NO BETTER TRADE OPTION TO SHED SALARY IS POSSIBLE! Example: 3 way trade w cap floor team and add'l team Lucic will play for...I understand the intangibles Looch brings to the table as a peace keeper, but I think both these guys need a change of scenery...its just not working out. Plus if things get chippy, we have Kassian, Nurse, and potentially Ferland...thats more than some clubs...Eriksson brings more offensive creativity to a 3rd line role, and can also kill penalties, and perhaps help countryman Nygard, as a veteran presence on that line...Having said all that, if we're stuck with the big man, perhaps he can revitalize his play somewhat under Tippett...

Hypothetical Lineup Example: 

Draisaitl - McDavid - C.Brown 

Ferland - Nuge - Kassian 

Nygard - Haula/Eakin - Eriksson

Benson/Gambs - Marody - Gagner 

Klefbom - Larsson 

Nurse - Jones

Sekera - Persson/Bear/Bouchard

Lagesson/Vet? 

Koskinen - Varlamov/Elliott

These moves and examples above work within the cap, including old buyouts...

Edited by dkers77

I would focus on the draft a little bit more. I would try to sign Sergei Bobrovsky. I would try to trade Lucic. I would try to Trade for Anthony Duclair (Ottawa). I would also move Anthony Stolarz. Or I would assign him to Bakersfeild for some conditioning. I would also trade russel to clear up some more cap space. 

1 hour ago, Edroot said:

I would focus on the draft a little bit more. I would try to sign Sergei Bobrovsky. I would try to trade Lucic. I would try to Trade for Anthony Duclair (Ottawa). I would also move Anthony Stolarz. Or I would assign him to Bakersfeild for some conditioning. I would also trade russel to clear up some more cap space. 

You are not moving Lucic unless you trade him and the 8th pick together. Even then we would probably need to retain cash. 

Edited by 94oildrops

3 hours ago, Edroot said:

There is no conceivable scenario where the Oilers can afford an $8 million plus goalie.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:53 PM, IGibb said:

There is no conceivable scenario where the Oilers can afford an $8 million plus goalie.

The Oilers have around 9 mil in Cap space and they might let some of the RFA's go which would create more cap space. And if the Lucic-Eriksson trade does become a reality than it would be the same kind of money and will be an UFA in 2022. He might be able to give the oilers some veteran experience and is a top six forward if he signs with the Oilers. And they won't be signing draft picks to 6 mil deals. And obviously Ken Holland is going to be trying to clear up some cap space. I don't thin the Oilers are going to trade their first round pick. This draft class has a lot of talent. I don't think the Oilers want to give up the chance to draft a top six forward. We won't be able to Draft Hughes or Kaapo but we still might be able to get something out of this

The first thing I would do would be to enquire around the league to the teams that are under the cap floor and need to bring on a couple of large contracts. There might be some of those teams in the east that need a physical presence and remember playing against Lucic. They might like to have him on their team rather than against them. Desperate circumstances call for desperate measures, but if it worked it would give us some wiggle room to move. It might be a wasted effort, but if you don't try you won't pull it off. If you could pull it off for a serviceable player or prospect coming back it would be an automatic home run and Holland would look like a genius. 

On 6/5/2019 at 8:01 PM, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Basically, if KH does everything the exact opposite of what PC did, we are golden.  Should be easy enough.

So keep a non NHL dman like Gernat instead of getting a player like Maroon, and keeping a goalie like Scrivens instead of getting a fan favourite like Kassian? Lol :).

18 hours ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

So keep a non NHL dman like Gernat instead of getting a player like Maroon, and keeping a goalie like Scrivens instead of getting a fan favourite like Kassian? Lol :).

Yes, if it means he didn’t make any of his other ridiculous trades, I’d take it.  There were SO MANY.  And Scrivens is better than Koskinen.  LOL.

Edited by Bro-lo_el_cunado

12 hours ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Yes, if it means he didn’t make any of his other ridiculous trades, I’d take it.  There were SO MANY.  And Scrivens is better than Koskinen.  LOL.

Scrivens is so bad he was forced to retire from the KHL lol. He couldn't even make it in Russia.

9 hours ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

Scrivens is so bad he was forced to retire from the KHL lol. He couldn't even make it in Russia.

Same can be said for Koskinen, his retirement from KHL = playing for Oilers, which, will definitely lead to his retirement.

I’d rather have Scrivens and his salary as a backup goaltender than Koskinen as our backup with his starter’s salary.

Edited by Bro-lo_el_cunado

5 hours ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Same can be said for Koskinen, his retirement from KHL = playing for Oilers, which, will definitely lead to his retirement.

I’d rather have Scrivens and his salary as a backup goaltender than Koskinen as our backup with his starter’s salary.

Koskinen was one of the best goalies in the KHL when he signed with the Oilers...

2 hours ago, MountainTi said:

Dont believe hockeyfeed. But even if it was true, Lucic would be going the other way. We have 4 seasons of Lucic left. Perry has 2. In the deal ANA would have to retain some salary. Then we buy Perry out after next season. Huge cap relief.

On 6/2/2019 at 11:40 AM, dkers77 said:

Here's my 2 cents...

Sign a proven goalie to play 30 + games. Top choices: Elliott or Varlarmov.

Trade Benning for winger. Example: C.Brown.

Trade Khaira to team looking for forwards on the cheap because of cap issues. Example: Vegas.        Khaira + for Haula or Eakin. Vegas will move one of them...both 1 year from UFA, but can fill 3C this year. Good stop gaps for McLeods development. 

Qualify Puljujarvi, to retain rights. Unless there's a desirable hockey trade to be made...

Use 8th pick to select Rapheal Lavoie. There's other RW's rated slightly higher, but ones Yamamoto 2.0, and the other will attend Boston college for up to 4 years...Lavoie is an older draftee, whom could make the jump sooner IMO. A little off the board at 8, but had a great Memorial Cup...

Sign UFA like Ferland for upwards of 4M...other notables in that range or less: Donskoi, Connolly, Filppula, Tanev, Panik, etc...

Trade or buyout Russell, I think it makes more sense than Sekera...we get nailed next year, but less cap hit in the long run, and more relief this year. Trade would be preferable. 

Make the Lucic for Eriksson trade. IF NO BETTER TRADE OPTION TO SHED SALARY IS POSSIBLE! Example: 3 way trade w cap floor team and add'l team Lucic will play for...I understand the intangibles Looch brings to the table as a peace keeper, but I think both these guys need a change of scenery...its just not working out. Plus if things get chippy, we have Kassian, Nurse, and potentially Ferland...thats more than some clubs...Eriksson brings more offensive creativity to a 3rd line role, and can also kill penalties, and perhaps help countryman Nygard, as a veteran presence on that line...Having said all that, if we're stuck with the big man, perhaps he can revitalize his play somewhat under Tippett...

Hypothetical Lineup Example: 

Draisaitl - McDavid - C.Brown 

Ferland - Nuge - Kassian/Gags

Nygard - Haula/Eakin - Eriksson

Benson/Gambs - Marody - Gags/Kass

Klefbom - Larsson 

Nurse - Jones

Sekera - Persson/Bear/Bouchard

Lagesson/Vet? 

Koskinen - Varlamov/Elliott

These moves and examples above work within the cap, including old buyouts...

Quoting myself here to revise, or clarify...if only for my own satisfaction. 

1. When I suggested we draft a player like Lavoie, I'm suggesting trading down...if there's a player on one of those clubs we could use, and using that pick on an older draftee like Lavoie.. Certainly if a Cozens or Zegras falls to us at 8, and Ken decides to take the player, I won't be disappointed.

In case anyone read this, and thought I was off my rocker. I tried to revise immediately after, but couldn't.

Edited by dkers77

On 6/12/2019 at 4:13 PM, BL4NKF4CE said:

Dont believe hockeyfeed. But even if it was true, Lucic would be going the other way. We have 4 seasons of Lucic left. Perry has 2. In the deal ANA would have to retain some salary. Then we buy Perry out after next season. Huge cap relief.

I think the only way the Ducks consider a move like this is if both teams retain a considerable chunk of money, which makes it much less appealing.

Lucic has a $2.5m-3m signing bonus in each of his remaining seasons. Lucic's salary isn't the problem, it's the signing bonuses in each of his remaining 4 seasons. Signing bonuses have to be paid in full in a buyout.

So let's say Lucic with 50% retained for Perry with 50% retained, to make up for Lucic's higher cap hit in years 3 & 4. Keep in mind, if Anaheim retains salary, they're on the hook for a percentage of Perry's buyout, which is why you have to retain salary on Lucic for the deal to make any sense for the Ducks. Here's what it costs the Oilers:

2019-2020
$3m for Lucic + $4.3125m for Perry = $7.3125m cap hit
Savings: -$1.3125m

2020-2021
$3m for Lucic + $2.98m for Perry (buyout) = $5.98m cap hit
Savings: $20k

2021-22
$3m for Lucic + $667k for Perry (buyout) = $3.667m cap hit
Savings:  $2,333m

2022-23
$3m for Lucic = $3m cap hit
Savings: $3m

Alternatively, if you just bought Lucic out today, the cap hit for the Oilers would be:

2019-20
$3.625m ($3.6875m cheaper than trading for Perry)

2020-21
$5.625m ($355k cheaper than trading/buying out Perry)

2021-22
$4.125m ($458k more expensive than trading/buying out Perry)

2022-23
$5.625m ($2.625m more expensive than trading for Perry)

2023-27
$625k x 4 years

You wouldn't see a significant cap saving until the final year of Lucic's contract if you traded the two players one for one. It's not a trade that makes any sense for either team.

Honestly, I don't see Lucic going anywhere for the foreseeable future. His contract with all of the bonuses is a trade killer.