The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Well we all knew it was going to be a busy summer. Just didn't know it was going to be this busy. Ken Holland took the job as Gm in Edmonton. If you don't know who he is then you live under a rock or you don't watch hockey. He's the guy who built the Detroit dynasty. 25 years of making the playoffs. 3 Stanley cups. He also took the Red Wings from the Yzerman super team to the Zetterburgh team. He also has an uncanny ability to pick out late round gems. Most of these things fans only dream of. He has been already making a couple changes. The franchise has seen almost a complete make over with most of the old gone. Keith Gretzky is one of the last few still in Edmonton. Hopefully he can carry his already vast knowledge of this years draft class into this franchise. I also hope that we can get Kirby Dach. He is almost a perfect replica of Draisaitl. Played for the Saskatoon Blades. He has a big body and smooth hands. He was a big part of the Blades season this year, which included the first trip to the playoffs since the Braden Holtby era in 2013. But we probavly won't. He's projected to go sixth in the draft. But you never know. Also more things to hope for is that we may be able to move Lucic this summer and get rid of the black hole he created in the salary cap. We do have about 10 mil in cap space but getting his contract out the door would be a big boost. We'd be able to sign a more promising player. The projected free agents this year includ Sergei Bobrovsky, Matt Duchene, Jeff Skinner, Erik Karlsson, Joe Pavelsky, Artemi Panarin and more. So we could be able to sign one of those guys. I want to sign Bobs but that's being to hopeful. But you never know. 

3 hours ago, Edroot said:

Well we all knew it was going to be a busy summer. Just didn't know it was going to be this busy. Ken Holland took the job as Gm in Edmonton. If you don't know who he is then you live under a rock or you don't watch hockey. He's the guy who built the Detroit dynasty. 25 years of making the playoffs. 3 Stanley cups. He also took the Red Wings from the Yzerman super team to the Zetterburgh team. He also has an uncanny ability to pick out late round gems. Most of these things fans only dream of. He has been already making a couple changes. The franchise has seen almost a complete make over with most of the old gone. Keith Gretzky is one of the last few still in Edmonton. Hopefully he can carry his already vast knowledge of this years draft class into this franchise. I also hope that we can get Kirby Dach. He is almost a perfect replica of Draisaitl. Played for the Saskatoon Blades. He has a big body and smooth hands. He was a big part of the Blades season this year, which included the first trip to the playoffs since the Braden Holtby era in 2013. But we probavly won't. He's projected to go sixth in the draft. But you never know. Also more things to hope for is that we may be able to move Lucic this summer and get rid of the black hole he created in the salary cap. We do have about 10 mil in cap space but getting his contract out the door would be a big boost. We'd be able to sign a more promising player. The projected free agents this year includ Sergei Bobrovsky, Matt Duchene, Jeff Skinner, Erik Karlsson, Joe Pavelsky, Artemi Panarin and more. So we could be able to sign one of those guys. I want to sign Bobs but that's being to hopeful. But you never know. 

WE probably couldn't afford him, but I would love to have Skinner on McDavid's line.

1 hour ago, Fogolin2 said:

Keith Gretzky hasn't even been here for 3 years. Done a good job too. 

What makes you say this?  He’s been around to trade Talbot for basically nothing and Spooner for, well, Gagner....  he’s also been here  through many other deplorable trades (whether he was involved in them or not).

Just curious if he’s done something spectacular in these 3 years that I’ve missed???

1 minute ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

What makes you say this?  He’s been around to trade Talbot for basically nothing and Spooner for, well, Gagner....  he’s also been here  through many other deplorable trades (whether he was involved in them or not).

Just curious if he’s done something spectacular in these 3 years that I’ve missed???

what was Talbot worth? How did he do after he got to Philly? Spooner returning Sam Gagner was a big win. Spooner was useless.

He was the head of amateur scouting in Boston, and we've been drafting pretty good since he got here. Condors are good. Players still in junior are good.

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

28 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

what was Talbot worth? How did he do after he got to Philly? Spooner returning Sam Gagner was a big win. Spooner was useless.

He was the head of amateur scouting in Boston, and we've been drafting pretty good since he got here. Condors are good. Players still in junior are good.

Big deal, Talbot’s contract was up anyway. Gagner, while better than Spooner isn’t a ‘big win’ at all. He’s assistant GM here so not sure what he’s drafted for us either. You can tie his name to Chiarelli and every garbage move he made.

8 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

Big deal, Talbot’s contract was up anyway. Gagner, while better than Spooner isn’t a ‘big win’ at all. He’s assistant GM here so not sure what he’s drafted for us either. You can tie his name to Chiarelli and every garbage move he made.

Well, again, it was Hithcock that specifically asked for Manning. I think Gretzky just did what PC and Hitch told him to do - and PC has to sign off on all the trades. This is why I'm not a big fan of Hitch. I wonder now if Hitch wanted Manning purposefully in some kind of psychological game with McDavid? It's the only logical thing I can think of and fits with what Hitch likes to do (push buttons - he's famous for that).

9 hours ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Have you not seen who's in the cup final? Who do you think scouted and recommended at lot of those players now making a contribution in Boston? Sweeney? I've said it a 100 times Bro - you can't judge drafts in a year or two. A lot of players take 4 or 5 years to develop and start making a contribution. That's what's happening in Boston, and what is starting to happen here. Keith Gretzky isn't here because of his brother - he's got his own resume. Ken Holland is a very good scout himself and I'm sure he knows what makes a good one. 

That all being said - he's not getting rid of any of the amateur guys until after the draft. What happens if he does it now? Ask PC - but you end up trading a 1st and 2nd for a Reinhart because you have no scouts to discuss things with anyway  (remember that??). So Keith may still not be here once all the dust settles. But if he is, I won't mind at all. 

What has he done - how about Samorukov for one? He's not in the NHL yet, but he's certainly trending a lot better than any 3rd round pick we've had in a generation. 

Lets wait to see what happens, shall we? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

Well, again, it was Hithcock that specifically asked for Manning. I think Gretzky just did what PC and Hitch told him to do - and PC has to sign off on all the trades. This is why I'm not a big fan of Hitch. I wonder now if Hitch wanted Manning purposefully in some kind of psychological game with McDavid? It's the only logical thing I can think of and fits with what Hitch likes to do (push buttons - he's famous for that).

Have you not seen who's in the cup final? Who do you think scouted and recommended at lot of those players now making a contribution in Boston? Sweeney? I've said it a 100 times Bro - you can't judge drafts in a year or two. A lot of players take 4 or 5 years to develop and start making a contribution. That's what's happening in Boston, and what is starting to happen here. Keith Gretzky isn't here because of his brother - he's got his own resume. Ken Holland is a very good scout himself and I'm sure he knows what makes a good one. 

That all being said - he's not getting rid of any of the amateur guys until after the draft. What happens if he does it now? Ask PC - but you end up trading a 1st and 2nd for a Reinhart because you have no scouts to discuss things with anyway  (remember that??). So Keith may still not be here once all the dust settles. But if he is, I won't mind at all. 

What has he done - how about Samorukov for one? He's not in the NHL yet, but he's certainly trending a lot better than any 3rd round pick we've had in a generation. 

Hitch specifically asked for Manning? What? It’s been said that Chiarelli was interested in Manning long before Hitch was ever hired. If Hitch wanted Manning why was Manning shipped to the minors under Hitch’s watch? Seems to me if Hitch wanted him he would have stayed with the Oilers all year.

As for Samorukov and Kretzky, how can you give all credit to Kretzky for that? He wasn’t head scout or GM, he’s assistant GM and deserves less credit than Sutter or Chiarelli for any draft decisions that have been made.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

Hitch specifically asked for Manning? What? It’s been said that Chiarelli was interested in Manning long before Hitch was ever hired. If Hitch wanted Manning why was Manning shipped to the minors under Hitch’s watch? Seems to me if Hitch wanted him he would have stayed with the Oilers all year.

As for Samorukov and Kretzky, how can you give all credit to Kretzky for that? He wasn’t head scout or GM, he’s assistant GM and deserves less credit than Sutter or Chiarelli for any draft decisions that have been made.

Exactly, well said, thanks.

He’s been here for a few good draft picks, that’s about it I guess.  I wouldn’t say he was solely responsible for those picks, or anything else for that matter.  Definitely not saying we need to get rid of him yet, he deserves a shot, but to say he’s been an awesome AGM is pretty laughable considering where we have ended the season every year he has been here so far.....

I’m just glad KH is here and he clearly has taken charge.  We needed someone with some meaty danglers to come in here and take out the trash, and so far he has done a great job.  Tired of all these “yes men” we had who just agreed to things for the sake of agreeing no matter how bad they got fleeced, because they are so clueless and useless.

12 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

I agree with you about giving him time, I’m fine with that.  I was commenting on how it was said that Kretzky has been an amazing AGM since he’s been here.  So far, I disagree big time based on the trades that have been made, and our spot in the standings the last 3 years.....  They’ve been absolutely hilarious and now we sit with a worse roster than we had 3 years ago.  So based on this, I would say him and the rest of the upper management dolts we had get a failing grade. F.

As for drafting - time will tell, of course, agree with you there.  Some picks have just been big flops, it happens (Puljujarvi) (Yakupov), I just feel like it happens too often to us... and I feel like Yamamoto will be another one.  Crazy to think where we could be if just a few of these players developed to where they should have, instead of basically retiring from the NHL before they even got started.  But even if they did develop, we would have just given them away for nothing (see previous upper management comments).  I am looking forward to the Benson’s, McLeod’s and Bouchard’s of the world coming up though!  We better get this years draft right.

I do believe PC thought, in his raisin brain, he was making some amazing trades.  But wow........ just looking back at them and putting them all together, combine that with some of his contracts...... I don’t even.........

Edited by Bro-lo_el_cunado

14 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

Yep - it's been reported by more than one person. I know Peter said he asked Connor about signing him in the off season, (last August I think PC said) and Connor said (according to PC) that he didn't care. But he didn't sign him. And I have other info to, but really doesn't matter as you won't believe it anyway. I wasn't in the room, I have no idea how the convo started, but bottom line is we were down Klefbom and Russell, and Hitch wanted more experienced dmen. Manning wasn't playing, and HItch told PC that he wanted Manning here to continue the playoff push. You can believe anything you want Mess - doesn't change what did (or didn't) happen. But yeah, Ken wanted him. That's about all I can tell you. 

Sutter was director of PRO scouting so he had absolutely nothing to do with any drafting. Keith was hired as assistant GM and works in the amateur department. I don't know what else to say on that - and before that he was running the amateur side of the Bruins, and a lot of the guys he had a huge hand in drafting are now a big part of the Bruins final's run. Not sure what else to say on that either. 

2 hours ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Exactly, well said, thanks.

He’s been here for a few good draft picks, that’s about it I guess.  I wouldn’t say he was solely responsible for those picks, or anything else for that matter.  Definitely not saying we need to get rid of him yet, he deserves a shot, but to say he’s been an awesome AGM is pretty laughable considering where we have ended the season every year he has been here so far.....

I’m just glad KH is here and he clearly has taken charge.  We needed someone with some meaty danglers to come in here and take out the trash, and so far he has done a great job.  Tired of all these “yes men” we had who just agreed to things for the sake of agreeing no matter how bad they got fleeced, because they are so clueless and useless.

I agree with you about giving him time, I’m fine with that.  I was commenting on how it was said that Kretzky has been an amazing AGM since he’s been here.  So far, I disagree big time based on the trades that have been made, and our spot in the standings the last 3 years.....  They’ve been absolutely hilarious and now we sit with a worse roster than we had 3 years ago.  So based on this, I would say him and the rest of the upper management dolts we had get a failing grade. F.

As for drafting - time will tell, of course, agree with you there.  Some picks have just been big flops, it happens (Puljujarvi) (Yakupov), I just feel like it happens too often to us... and I feel like Yamamoto will be another one.  Crazy to think where we could be if just a few of these players developed to where they should have, instead of basically retiring from the NHL before they even got started.  But even if they did develop, we would have just given them away for nothing (see previous upper management comments).  I am looking forward to the Benson’s, McLeod’s and Bouchard’s of the world coming up though!  We better get this years draft right.

I do believe PC thought, in his raisin brain, he was making some amazing trades.  But wow........ just looking back at them and putting them all together, combine that with some of his contracts...... I don’t even.........

Gretzky's drafts haven't really show up yet. PC was a world class idiot, and he was also the boss. Not sure the role played by Kretzky in the trades this year prior to PC being fired  but I highly doubt that Gretzky was the one who was initiating the discussion for those players. That was a desperate man doing desperate things to save his job. And as I said above, it was Hitch who wanted two vet dmen to replace Russell and Klef who both went down at the same time when we were in the thick of a playoff race.

It's pretty funny you and Mess both think otherwise and defend him. I really don't know what to say. I mean, you just need to sit back and look logically at it. Hitch came here because he wanted to be here and he felt he could get the team to the playoffs. And for the first 6 weeks of his coaching here, he pretty much did - had us knocking on the door. Then, and remember Sek is out already, we lose both Klefbom and Russell. 

Think about that - do you honestly believe Hitch said to Peter "yeah, sure, no problem - call up some not quite ready for NHL dmen we can win with them no problem". 

Did either of you guys not see the press conference after the trades were made, when Ken Hitchcock said "Thank God for Peter for getting me two experienced dmen" or was I dreaming that whole thing. 

Hey, you guys go on believing what you want. Don't let logic and quotes from the men themselves sway you in any way lol 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Yep - it's been reported by more than one person. I know Peter said he asked Connor about signing him in the off season, (last August I think PC said) and Connor said (according to PC) that he didn't care. But he didn't sign him. And I have other info to, but really doesn't matter as you won't believe it anyway. I wasn't in the room, I have no idea how the convo started, but bottom line is we were down Klefbom and Russell, and Hitch wanted more experienced dmen. Manning wasn't playing, and HItch told PC that he wanted Manning here to continue the playoff push. You can believe anything you want Mess - doesn't change what did (or didn't) happen. But yeah, Ken wanted him. That's about all I can tell you. 

Sutter was director of PRO scouting so he had absolutely nothing to do with any drafting. Keith was hired as assistant GM and works in the amateur department. I don't know what else to say on that - and before that he was running the amateur side of the Bruins, and a lot of the guys he had a huge hand in drafting are now a big part of the Bruins final's run. Not sure what else to say on that either. 

Gretzky's drafts haven't really show up yet. PC was a world class idiot, and he was also the boss. Not sure the role played by Kretzky in the trades this year prior to PC being fired  but I highly doubt that Gretzky was the one who was initiating the discussion for those players. That was a desperate man doing desperate things to save his job. And as I said above, it was Hitch who wanted two vet dmen to replace Russell and Klef who both went down at the same time when we were in the thick of a playoff race.

It's pretty funny you and Mess both think otherwise and defend him. I really don't know what to say. I mean, you just need to sit back and look logically at it. Hitch came here because he wanted to be here and he felt he could get the team to the playoffs. And for the first 6 weeks of his coaching here, he pretty much did - had us knocking on the door. Then, and remember Sek is out already, we lose both Klefbom and Russell. 

Think about that - do you honestly believe Hitch said to Peter "yeah, sure, no problem - call up some not quite ready for NHL dmen we can win with them no problem". 

Did either of you guys not see the press conference after the trades were made, when Ken Hitchcock said "Thank God for Peter for getting me two experienced dmen" or was I dreaming that whole thing. 

Hey, you guys go on believing what you want. Don't let logic and quotes from the men themselves sway you in any way lol 

This is my point.  If Hitch came in here and told them to get Yakupov back here for our top line, they probably would have.  That’s just how completely mentally handicapped these “managers” are.  Does anyone in upper management have a shred of sack to say “wtf, are you serious, Hitch?” Or just flat out say “no” to such idiotic trades (Manning) (Petrovic).  When you have a head coach telling you what trades to make and doing your job for you (as horrific as those trades were) that’s pretty damn sad...... makes you wonder why we have an AGM and GM in the first place.  Also, the fact we don’t have ONE single D-man that could step in during TWO injuries (one short-term)... talk about sad.

But, onward and upward we go.  At least KH is here.  

If everything you say about Hitch is true, it’s no wonder he’s not coming back this season.  Back to retirement he goes if he thought Manning and Petrovic were experienced D-men, and he was thrilled in acquiring them.  Hahahaha.

Time will tell with our draft picks though and the hand Kretzky had in those, I totally agree with you on that one.  Our prospects do look wayyyy better than they have in a very, very long time.

This is my point.  If Hitch came in here and told them to get Yakupov back here for our top line, they probably would have.  That’s just how completely mentally handicapped these “managers” are.  Does anyone in upper management have a shred of sack to say “wtf, are you serious, Hitch?” Or just flat out say “no” to such idiotic trades (Manning) (Petrovic).  When you have a head coach telling you what trades to make and doing your job for you (as horrific as those trades were) that’s pretty damn sad...... makes you wonder why we have an AGM and GM in the first place.  Also, the fact we don’t have ONE single D-man that could step in during TWO injuries (one short-term)... talk about sad.

If everything you say about Hitch is true, it’s no wonder he’s not coming back this season.  Back to retirement he goes if he thought Manning and Petrovic were experienced D-men, and he was thrilled in acquiring them.  Hahahaha.

Time will tell with our draft picks though and the hand Kretzky had in those, I totally agree with you on that one.  Our prospects do look wayyyy better than they have in a very, very long time.

I didn't mind Hitch, he brought some stability to a terrible situation. Let's face it, when Hitch took over as coach the Oilers were a mess. It appears to me that he had a hugely positive impact on Benning's development. Benning used to chase the puck too much in the corners leaving the net exposed and Hitch had Benning stapled to the net a couple of games where it appeared he had to have been told not to be caught chasing the puck. It was around this time I was noticing for the first time some real strides in Benning's game. I don't remember swearing at Benning once the rest of the season, where the last two years before that I probably swore at him every game at least once. Hitch at least left us a little better off than we were, I was thinking Benning was a lost cause before Hitch.

20 hours ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Unless you were in the meeting between Hitch and PC you have no idea what went on. It was at a time when 2 D were down (Klef and Russell) and we needed replacements. Hitch probably went to PC to find out what could be done and what was available with no room cap wise. Petrovic and Manning were NHL defensemen and available to temporarily fill the holes. Dumping on Hitch is ridiculous by saying he demanded Manning. If you remember we went 9 straight when Hitch took over then -Bang! - injuries to our weakest area hit as well our goaltending went in the cr--per. People were saying that when Hitch took over MCD and Drai's game would suffer because he's too defensive minded. All Hitch said was their games will become a 200 foot game with more touches of the puck. H-m-m-m-m Mcd and Drai had their most successful season's EVER. If you're going to be critical of someone then at least get the facts correct from a reliable source and not just hear say over a coffee or several beers.

4 hours ago, pillotte said:

Unless you were in the meeting between Hitch and PC you have no idea what went on. It was at a time when 2 D were down (Klef and Russell) and we needed replacements. Hitch probably went to PC to find out what could be done and what was available with no room cap wise. Petrovic and Manning were NHL defensemen and available to temporarily fill the holes. Dumping on Hitch is ridiculous by saying he demanded Manning. If you remember we went 9 straight when Hitch took over then -Bang! - injuries to our weakest area hit as well our goaltending went in the cr--per. People were saying that when Hitch took over MCD and Drai's game would suffer because he's too defensive minded. All Hitch said was their games will become a 200 foot game with more touches of the puck. H-m-m-m-m Mcd and Drai had their most successful season's EVER. If you're going to be critical of someone then at least get the facts correct from a reliable source and not just hear say over a coffee or several beers.

I wasn’t in the meeting, I don’t like red wine.  Someone else in this thread say they know for a fact it was Hitch who wanted those 2 players, that’s all I was referring to.  Apparently it is fact.....  The fact that those are the 2 “defencemen” we got, for what we gave up it was awful and that falls on the GM.  I’m putting it all on the GM and AGM... so maybe read......?  If it is in fact true it was on Hitch, then like I said, good riddance.  Glad he is gone then.  Again, I DON’T KNOW IF IT IS 100% TRUE, HOPEFULLY YOU CAN READ THIS!?!?!?!

I remember we went 9 straight, and then we had 2 injuries.  Big deal.  Other teams can withstand 2 injuries, we can’t because we had no players even remotely close to stepping in and covering for a little while.  Sad, and that’s on the GM/OBC.  All Klefbom does is get injured so maybe every year we should go into that year with someone waiting for their 20ish games of play because he will be injured again.  Why do we have to be in massive scramble mode when we lose a Klefbom and a Russell?  Like big deal.  Neither of them are really that good anyways.....  I never see other teams scrambling making these big of bone-headed trades trying to fill 2 holes mid-season.  They have players who can step up and cover a quarter season minimum.

I don’t care if McD and Drai had career years.  I’m happy for them but when it comes to the team: we sucked, again.  So they could each score 100 goals, I couldn’t care less because we can’t even make the playoffs.

I am critical when it comes to people saying AGM’s like Kretzky (PC 2.0) have done an amazing job, like c’mon...  Time will tell with the drafting but so far he really hasn’t done a thing...  And our goaltending sucks, because again, management.  No cap room = bad management.  Obviously not Hitch’s fault, our management sucked.  There’s a pattern, if you see it......?  Just hope KH keeps on cleaning house and takes out ALL the trash.

I would never have pegged you as a red wine connoisseur, pillotte......

Very few people in the organization have done a good job which is verified by the lack of success of the team.  At no point have I been a fan of PC and I am glad he is gone but angry that he screwed this team.  I was also not a Hitchcock fan but I am glad he came and think he served his purpose.  I have no issue Keith Gretzky nor an attachment... more like meh.  For several years I have approached the start of the season with suspicion.  Now I am optimistic that Holland will make the Oilers better and in a playoff spot within the next couple seasons.

On a different note.  I think the Stanley Cup should go to the officiating team this year.  The way hockey is played and called makes the Stanley Cup less meaningful than ever before to the point where they may want to consider a revised kindergarten approach where the final 4 all get a mini Cup.  That said, I hope the Blues win.

1 hour ago, neufab said:

Very few people in the organization have done a good job which is verified by the lack of success of the team.  At no point have I been a fan of PC and I am glad he is gone but angry that he screwed this team.  I was also not a Hitchcock fan but I am glad he came and think he served his purpose.  I have no issue Keith Gretzky nor an attachment... more like meh.  For several years I have approached the start of the season with suspicion.  Now I am optimistic that Holland will make the Oilers better and in a playoff spot within the next couple seasons.

On a different note.  I think the Stanley Cup should go to the officiating team this year.  The way hockey is played and called makes the Stanley Cup less meaningful than ever before to the point where they may want to consider a revised kindergarten approach where the final 4 all get a mini Cup.  That said, I hope the Blues win.

I like the Blues to win also . The Bruins should know better than to stop playing because a blatant penalty was missed by the officiating team . 

2 hours ago, billpayor said:

I like the Blues to win also . The Bruins should know better than to stop playing because a blatant penalty was missed by the officiating team . 

They didn’t stop playing, when Accari was slew footed the puck went to St.Louis and 5 seconds later it was in the net. The 4 Boston players continued to play aside from Accari who banged his head and was removed for concussion protocol. It was a garbage non call and the refs ruined what was otherwise a good game.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

They didn’t stop playing, when Accari was slew footed the puck went to St.Louis and 5 seconds later it was in the net. The 4 Boston players continued to play aside from Accari who banged his head and was removed for concussion protocol. It was a garbage non call and the refs ruined what was otherwise a good game.

You are correct, they didn't stop. However, you would almost understand if one did, cause the whistle was supposed to go. That would be what the rules say. How tf can this continue? After the debacle that were missed calls against us in 2017 playoffs which gave the Ducks the series, and the garbage hits that continue, and now that??!  That has to be one of the most flagrant non calls I've ever seen. Ever. How does this happen? I dont' understand. The NHL is a joke. 

3 minutes ago, WHA fan said:

You are correct, they didn't stop. However, you would almost understand if one did, cause the whistle was supposed to go. That would be what the rules say. How tf can this continue? After the debacle that were missed calls against us in 2017 playoffs which gave the Ducks the series, and the garbage hits that continue, and now that??!  That has to be one of the most flagrant non calls I've ever seen. Ever. How does this happen? I dont' understand. The NHL is a joke. 

It was the same refs that officiated games 1&3, after game 3 Berube whined about the calls on the Blues. McLean and the panel stated after the game that the calls were 3-1 in favour of the Bruins at the time of the slew foot and the refs likely didn’t want to make it 4-1. Classic case of game management versus the refs doing the job they’re paid to do, which is call the game without bias. It’s an absolute disgrace that a Stanley Cup Finals game is officiated based on game management.

I call a BIG   BS  on the "it has been reported by numerous sources that Hitch asked for Manning specifically".

If it was .... you could link to it  .... or someone could actually find it with ... you know ... the internet.

Hitch made it clear after a particular string of losses that the team was going nowhere with the horrendous Defence that they had, and that something needed to be done.

It was reported that very few defenders were, at the time, being shopped by their respective teams, but that Manning and his horrible contract was being shopped HARD.

The Oilers acquired Manning and Petrovich and Keith Gretzky was given credit for having done the work on the deals, whatever the hell that means.

Now ... hindsight .... rumours come out (from where???????) ..... People covering their big fat butts tend to use outgoing scape goats to cover their own incompetence ..... Blame Toby.  Seriously.  I can't believe people fall for the BS anymore by this point.  And then come on here and sell it HARD to make their own arguments valid.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

On 6/6/2019 at 4:29 PM, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

I wasn’t in the meeting, I don’t like red wine.  Someone else in this thread say they know for a fact it was Hitch who wanted those 2 players, that’s all I was referring to.  Apparently it is fact.....  The fact that those are the 2 “defencemen” we got, for what we gave up it was awful and that falls on the GM.  I’m putting it all on the GM and AGM... so maybe read......?  If it is in fact true it was on Hitch, then like I said, good riddance.  Glad he is gone then.  Again, I DON’T KNOW IF IT IS 100% TRUE, HOPEFULLY YOU CAN READ THIS!?!?!?!

I remember we went 9 straight, and then we had 2 injuries.  Big deal.  Other teams can withstand 2 injuries, we can’t because we had no players even remotely close to stepping in and covering for a little while.  Sad, and that’s on the GM/OBC.  All Klefbom does is get injured so maybe every year we should go into that year with someone waiting for their 20ish games of play because he will be injured again.  Why do we have to be in massive scramble mode when we lose a Klefbom and a Russell?  Like big deal.  Neither of them are really that good anyways.....  I never see other teams scrambling making these big of bone-headed trades trying to fill 2 holes mid-season.  They have players who can step up and cover a quarter season minimum.

I don’t care if McD and Drai had career years.  I’m happy for them but when it comes to the team: we sucked, again.  So they could each score 100 goals, I couldn’t care less because we can’t even make the playoffs.

I am critical when it comes to people saying AGM’s like Kretzky (PC 2.0) have done an amazing job, like c’mon...  Time will tell with the drafting but so far he really hasn’t done a thing...  And our goaltending sucks, because again, management.  No cap room = bad management.  Obviously not Hitch’s fault, our management sucked.  There’s a pattern, if you see it......?  Just hope KH keeps on cleaning house and takes out ALL the trash.

I would never have pegged you as a red wine connoisseur, pillotte......

Ooow! Good one (lol) Naw Don't really care for Red Wine. My only real point was that Hitch came in at a time when the Oilers were struggling and a change had to be made. He came out of retirement and by his own admission really wanted to coach the Oil because of him being from here, they were in trouble and he thought he could help. The accusations of his demanding Manning are without any basis and I don't believe that to be factual. Your statement of our unable to withstand 2 injuries is absolutely right on and pinning that on PC and the OBC I believe is true. The trade for Manning was ridiculous in giving up Cags. We probably could have had him for maybe 4th round if our new GM was at the throttle. Now we are on a new path with a very good management in place. I like the selection of Tippett. Now on to the draft. Next season is gonna be great as we now have some stability and the OBC is evaporating slowly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pillotte said:

Ooow! Good one (lol) Naw Don't really care for Red Wine. My only real point was that Hitch came in at a time when the Oilers were struggling and a change had to be made. He came out of retirement and by his own admission really wanted to coach the Oil because of him being from here, they were in trouble and he thought he could help. The accusations of his demanding Manning are without any basis and I don't believe that to be factual. Your statement of our unable to withstand 2 injuries is absolutely right on and pinning that on PC and the OBC I believe is true. The trade for Manning was ridiculous in giving up Cags. We probably could have had him for maybe 4th round if our new GM was at the throttle. Now we are on a new path with a very good management in place. I like the selection of Tippett. Now on to the draft. Next season is gonna be great as we now have some stability and the OBC is evaporating slowly. 

Good post.  I agree with everything you said to be honest.  I’m excited for this new management and (hopefully) a new path too.  I like Tippett as well, hopefully he sticks up for his players, but the players have to play for him too and buy in in order for that to happen.

I’m excited for next season, but we still need Lucic to play way better, a Goalie, about 3 better defencemen, and 2 RW’s... 😫

On 6/3/2019 at 10:51 PM, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Getting rid of Spooner was "spectacular" enough for me, and what did you expect in return for "first shot goes in again" Talbot? 

1 hour ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Getting rid of Spooner was "spectacular" enough for me, and what did you expect in return for "first shot goes in again" Talbot? 

Good for you.  I was saying someone else said he did a spectacular job getting rid of them for what we got in return.  The Talbot deal was basically nothing in return, so that’s easy.  And Benning is not exactly bright, so getting Gagner was easy.  Any good GM probably could have got more out of him.  I like Gagner on this team; always easy to bring a minor-leaguer ex-Oiler back it seems.

Talbot sucked and so did Spooner, and so did half our roster.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:33 PM, Fogolin2 said:

Keith Gretzky hasn't even been here for 3 years. Done a good job too. 

On 6/3/2019 at 10:51 PM, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

On 6/3/2019 at 11:00 PM, Fogolin2 said:

On 6/4/2019 at 8:43 PM, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

I was commenting on how it was said that Kretzky has been an amazing AGM 

On 6/6/2019 at 5:29 PM, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

I am critical when it comes to people saying AGM’s like Kretzky (PC 2.0) have done an amazing job, like c’mon...  

1 hour ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Good for you.  I was saying someone else said he did a spectacular job getting rid of them for what we got in return

Hey yakbag. I used two terms to describe Keith Gretzky's work with the Oilers. 'Good' and 'Pretty good'...you then proceeded to argue against my post with 'spectacular', 'amazing' a few times. So why don't you quit with the strawman shouting at clouds show, and tell us what he should've done? Tell us what Ken Holland should do next?

I think you've got no idea, so prove me wrong.

AMAZING!!! SPECTACULAR!!!!

Good for you.  I was saying someone else said he did a spectacular job getting rid of them for what we got in return.  The Talbot deal was basically nothing in return, so that’s easy.  And Benning is not exactly bright, so getting Gagner was easy.  Any good GM probably could have got more out of him.  I like Gagner on this team; always easy to bring a minor-leaguer ex-Oiler back it seems.

I'll wait. Take your time.

The Talbot deal may well end up being nothing in return, which is exactly what we would have received had we just let his contract run out.  What it did give the Oilers was an opportunity to take a look at Stolarz, as it happens, that doesn't look as though it will work out.

I am sure I am not on my own when I say I was shocked, amazed and delighted that regardless of the return, we got rid of Spooner.   And if as you say "Benning is not exactly bright", good for KG for dealing with him.   I never mentioned Gagner, but as you did, he brings a lot more to the Oilers team than did Ryan Spooner.   We have a lot to criticise the Oilers trades and deals over recent times, but the Talbot and Spooner ones are two that we can't complain about, and two moves that we can say we did not lose, and it isn't often we have been able to say that for a two or three years.  

14 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

Hey yakbag. I used two terms to describe Keith Gretzky's work with the Oilers. 'Good' and 'Pretty good'...you then proceeded to argue against my post with 'spectacular', 'amazing' a few times. So why don't you quit with the strawman shouting at clouds show, and tell us what he should've done? Tell us what Ken Holland should do next?

I think you've got no idea, so prove me wrong.

AMAZING!!! SPECTACULAR!!!!

I think that he's wanting a Stanley cup team right now. But honestly I think that we'd all be fine if we at least made the playoffs next year. True that's being a little too optimistic but if you ask me I believe that they have the tools to get there it's just a matter of using them right. See we could use a winger for hopkins not McDavid. I don't think that we should break up the dynamic duo between him and Draisaitl. But a lot of stuff needs to happen for Nuge. He should get a lot of credit because he was driving his own line and not Draisaitl. Draisaitl is capable but he's so much better with Mcdavid. Maybe everybody could be better with Mcdavid but that's not what happened with Rieder and we all know about that train wreck. Reider's hope was to play with McDavid and Draisaitl, who he played with in Germany so they have some background together. And he thought he could score with Mcdavid. Now the Lucic problem is only a problem because he can't find his footing. He'd be worth it if he played like he did in LA and Boston. Maybe he'll fit into Dave's coaching tatics. Now I don't believe that Hitch would ask for Manning. That's not a smart move for the Oilers. What if Connor decided to leave because of that? That would've done some serious damage to the already de funk oilers franchise. But thankfully McDavid's one of those guys who stays loyal to the team. And obviously he wants to play in Edmonton. "IF I didn't want to stay I wouldn't of signed an 8-year contract" is what he said. That gives hope to Edmonton Fans everywhere (except Toronto). And maybe KH can keep Jesse in Edmonton for a little bit longer. Because the oilers do have his rights and they can sign him before he can walk away. That's part of his contract. And if he does blossom he might help the oilers more. But he was rushed into the NHL. Just like Koskinen. And Jones. And Bear. Maybe Kosk doesn't need anyore time in Europe but he's not an established number 1 yet. And get rid of Stolarz. What was that? That was dissapointing. I think that if Cam and Mikko had a 50/50 job with each other than it would've gone a lot smoother. Cause when one was on a hot streak the other was doing horrible and vice versa. And it would've given them a lot more rest too. They both were iron men but being a goalie is physically and mentally draining. So to give them a break would be good. But that's what could've been. That's all gone thanks to our horrible ex Gm PC. If he gets a job in the NHL again than whoever hired has the IQ of a rock. But as long as he's not burning down the oilers franchise it's not our problem.

New president, new GM, new coach.  The organization has made some positive moves and I see no reason the Oilers cannot be in the thick of it come next spring.  The success of the Blues shows that no matter where a team sits at Christmas a solid run can get you to the dance when its a "team" effort, especially when goal tending becomes a pleasant surprise instead of a disastrous disappointment.

I look forward to seeing personnel changes on the ice over the course of the next few months and have made a few short notes on some of the guys:

McDavid & Draisaitl - looking forward to see them as a dominate duo

Nuge - key long term Oiler with production in the same range as Tarasenko, Duchene, Couture and ahead of Skinner, Horvat, Barzal.  Nuge is the guy you keep and able to help out the team in many facets of the game

Chiasson - career year and I would not expect him to score 22 next year, still would like to see him on the team if he doesn't price himself out

Kassian - good production last year and when he plays on the edge is exactly who the Oilers need as a 3rd line winger

Gagner - smart player who can help out in various ways including taking some interviews when things get hot

Klefbom - must stay healthy because the team suffers when he is out

Sekera - must stay healthy because the team suffers when he is out

Nurse - bright spot on the blue line and has made steady improvements year after year

Larsson - good player but never able to live up to being traded for Hall, also, the PC poster child

... that's enough for now