The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

23 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

Hey yakbag. I used two terms to describe Keith Gretzky's work with the Oilers. 'Good' and 'Pretty good'...you then proceeded to argue against my post with 'spectacular', 'amazing' a few times. So why don't you quit with the strawman shouting at clouds show, and tell us what he should've done? Tell us what Ken Holland should do next?

I think you've got no idea, so prove me wrong.

AMAZING!!! SPECTACULAR!!!!

I know, I would be as mad as you are after calling him good and/or pretty good too.  It’s okay though, I know you didn’t mean it.

KH should get rid of him, that’s what he should do next.  Anyone who “trained” under PC should get gone from this team.

It’s about time this team did something remotely relevant on the ice, and off of it.

16 hours ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

I know, I would be as mad as you are after calling him good and/or pretty good too.  It’s okay though, I know you didn’t mean it.

KH should get rid of him, that’s what he should do next.  Anyone who “trained” under PC should get gone from this team.

It’s about time this team did something remotely relevant on the ice, and off of it.

Dj2R0QGP_bigger.pngEdmonton OilersVerified account @EdmontonOilers
FollowFollow @EdmontonOilers
More

#Oilers General Manager & President of Hockey Operations Ken Holland announces that Keith Gretzky will remain with the team in the role of Assistant General Manager.

Replying to @EdmontonOilers

Great news. Brings a lot to the table, despite what some idiots think

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

2 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:
More

#Oilers General Manager & President of Hockey Operations Ken Holland announces that Keith Gretzky will remain with the team in the role of Assistant General Manager.

Can’t fire everyone, but he should’ve. Kretzky isn’t anything special.

Edited by Messrules11

3 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:
More

Gross.

He’ll remain until they find his replacement.  Maybe he can shift back to a scouting/player personnel role since he’s so great at that apparently, and replace Howson who currently does..... umm.... ?? 🤔

Edited by Bro-lo_el_cunado
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Gross.

He’ll remain until they find his replacement.  Maybe he can shift back to a scouting/player personnel role since he’s so great at that apparently, and replace Howson who currently does..... umm.... ?? 🤔

Absolutely. Kretzky, what a joke of an assistant. Tie his name to Manning, Petrovic, Brodziak, Rieder, Koskinen, Cave, and Stolarz is a nothing trade as well. Gagner is a guy the Canucks paid 3.5m to stay away from their farm prospects. I wouldn’t give a pail of you know what for his second opinion.

24 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Absolutely. Kretzky, what a joke of an assistant. Tie his name to Manning, Petrovic, Brodziak, Rieder, Koskinen, Cave, and Stolarz is a nothing trade as well. Gagner is a guy the Canucks paid 3.5m to stay away from their farm prospects. I wouldn’t give a pail of you know what for his second opinion.

Look at all those amazing names up there.  What a “good/pretty good” resume he’s built during his time here.  The list of players and draft picks that Genius and Genius 2.0 gave up to acquire these beauties looks just as good.

He’s just another “yes man”.  Hopefully all he does now is say yes to a bunch of genius KH moves/decisions.

But hey, apparently we are the idiots 🙄

1 minute ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Look at all those amazing names up there.  What a “good/pretty good” resume he’s built during his time here.  The list of players and draft picks that Genius and Genius 2.0 gave up to acquire these beauties looks just as good.

He’s just another “yes man”.  Hopefully all he does now is say yes to a bunch of genius KH moves/decisions.

Agreed. For years fans have wanted change, now the real idiots are fine with the status quo. Unbelievable.

• Thanks 1

I don't think you guys are idiots (you or Mess) but I do think you have bias and uninformed opinions. But I also think Windsor had bias and uninformed opinions of PC - and a lot of us thought he was an idiot. Turns out Windsor was bang on in his assessment and you guys could be too. However, I think he did do a decent job considering his hands were tied. He got rid of Spooner and brought a useful player back for him - that right there was something. And he has scouted very well though I've never heard or read anything specific on who he has scouted here but I do know he was big on guys like Carlo in Boston (but then again so were we but we traded that pick - I know for a fact if we had kept it we would've taken Carlo in the 2nd round). 

But I do trust in what is happening how. By that I mean, KH retained KG on his merrit, and not because Katz or Wayne asked him to keep him. So I think that 's a good sign.

39 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Would you prefer Spooner to Gagner?    No?    Thought not.

I'm glad he is staying on board. I hope it is a one year contract with a team option.

Having been in management myself, I know the assistant manager usually does /cleans up what the manager requests. Doubt we will ever know the true story so I will give him the benefit of the doubt, sleep with one eye open and see his worth after the year.

Spooner for Gagner, good deal

Talbot, I know it could have been worse, wish it was better but glad we fit Sekera back onto the team.

2 hours ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Gross.

What do you think he'll be doing?

Assistant gm is very much a scouting/player personnel job.

8 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

What do you think he'll be doing?

Assistant gm is very much a scouting/player personnel job.

I don’t think he will be doing much.........

I don’t think he will be doing much.........

You don't know what he's been doing all along

2 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

Agreed. For years fans have wanted change, now the real idiots are fine with the status quo. Unbelievable.

At the same price, you'd trade Lucic for Nuge.

I'm not too thrilled at the fact that Keith and Scott are still here. Though, if Holland does have 100% control and isn't some puppet of The rest of the wine summit, I'm willing to wait. Success is not guaranteed but it is at least a little more probable...

39 minutes ago, 94oildrops said:

I'm not too thrilled at the fact that Keith and Scott are still here. Though, if Holland does have 100% control and isn't some puppet of The rest of the wine summit, I'm willing to wait. Success is not guaranteed but it is at least a little more probable...

What's wrong with Keith? Our drafting since 2015 has been promising. Much much better than previous years. Benson, Bear, Jones, Berglund, Rasanen, Skinner, Samurokov, Safin, Maksimov, and McLeod. 

14 hours ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

What's wrong with Keith? Our drafting since 2015 has been promising. Much much better than previous years. Benson, Bear, Jones, Berglund, Rasanen, Skinner, Samurokov, Safin, Maksimov, and McLeod. 

You forgot to mention JP and Yammo 🙄

3 hours ago, Blackhawk216 said:

You forgot to mention JP and Yammo 🙄

I was specifically picking players drafted outside of the first round.

43 minutes ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

Bear and Jones were drafted same year Connor was - BG - Before Gretzky. Not that it matters per say, just saying. Jones in the 4th round, and Bear in the 5th round. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyHappy said:

Ohhh nice, the guy who wrote it said what I said (I'm not him) - that KG is being groomed. I think he will be our next GM - Holland will eventually slide into the POHO role and make a ton of money and oversee KG for another two years or so until he finally retires. That's my bet anyway. 

2 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

Bear and Jones were drafted same year Connor was - BG - Before Gretzky. Not that it matters per say, just saying. Jones in the 4th round, and Bear in the 5th round. 

Right. Keep forgetting Keith didn't come with Chiarelli. Either way, even the drafting since Keith has been here has been much better (as far as we can tell so far) in the later rounds.

KG pre-Oiler draft history

First-round picks in Phoenix…

• 2007 – Kyle Turris (No. 3) & Nick Ross (No. 30)
  • 2008 – Mikkel Boedker (No. 😎 & Viktor Tikhonov (No. 28)
  • 2009 – Oliver Ekman-Larsson (No. 6)
  • 2010 – Brandon Gormley (No. 13) & Mark Visentin (No. 27)
  • 2011 – Connor Murphy (No. 20)

First-round picks in Boston…

• 2014 – David Pastrnak (No. 25)
  • 2015 – Jakub Zboril (No. 13) & Jake DeBrusk (No. 14) & Zach Senyshyn (No. 15)
  • 2016 – Charlie McAvoy (No. 14) & Trent Frederic (No. 29)

Notable outside the first-round picks in Phoenix…

• 2007 – Scott Darling (No. 153)
  • 2008 – Michael Stone (No. 69)
  • 2010 – Oscar Lindberg (No. 57) & Louis Domingue (No. 138)

Notable outside the first-round picks in Boston…

• 2014 – Ryan Donato (No. 56) & Danton Heinen (No. 116)
  • 2015 – Brandon Carlo (No. 37) & Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson (No. 45)

2 hours ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

I understand but we really should expect more success from two first round draft picks than we have seen so far from JP and Yammo?    That was my point.

Hopefully they will come good eventually, but I wouldn't bank on it.

27 minutes ago, Blackhawk216 said:

I understand but we really should expect more success from two first round draft picks than we have seen so far from JP and Yammo?    That was my point.

Hmm. Have you checked how many 1st round players in those drafts are full time NHL players. My bet is you have not.

Now you can expect a little more from a 4th over all but not every player matures at the same pace.

Edited by Yuke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

Right. Keep forgetting Keith didn't come with Chiarelli. Either way, even the drafting since Keith has been here has been much better (as far as we can tell so far) in the later rounds.

Agreed there for sure - it pretty much improved once we dumped Stu McGregor. Not sure what he was watching or what he wanted but very few of his picks turned out. 

1 hour ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Yammamoto was a reach - they were hoping he'd be a Johnny G - and he may be. But what got me all wound up (ask Yuke lol) was he made the team on a 9 game trial in his draft year which was 1000% the wrong thing to do. The right thing was to send him back to his junior team in time for their first game of the regular season (which was end of September)as he was no where near ready physically for the NHL. But typical of previous Oiler (mis) management. And remember, the amateur guys pick them, they don't 'develop' them (insomuch as when they make the NHL I mean). 

46 minutes ago, Yuke said:

Hmm. Have you checked how many 1st round players in those drafts are full time NHL players. My bet is you have not.

Now you can expect a little more from a 4th over all but not every player matures at the same pace.

Good point, not many. There are a few that will start right away (Matt Tkachuk as an example) but he's already looking at an 8 or 9 million dollar a year deal. Could you imagine if we had drafted him? We'd be in Wpg's shoes, we'd have to trade him or give away RNH and Larsson just to be able to sign him (I reference those two as we wouldn't be able to give away bad contracts) or trade Tkachuk. Sometimes, it's really not a bad thing for your younger players to develop slower in a salary cap environment. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yuke said:

I am not concerned about other 1st round picks, but I do know what Tchachuk has done, and like him or hate him he has been a lot more impactful than JP.

JP doesn't appear to have the desire or determination to succeed, hasn't really made a big effort to speak English, and apparently now is sulking and wanting away.

It isn't just the on ice effort that I see lacking in him, he comes across as a spoilt kid who isn't prepared to work hard enough to succeed at the NHL level.

Yammo has been underwhelming also.    I really want these guys to succeed, but like I say, I am not banking on it.

13 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Yammamoto was a reach - they were hoping he'd be a Johnny G - and he may be. But what got me all wound up (ask Yuke lol) was he made the team on a 9 game trial in his draft year which was 1000% the wrong thing to do. The right thing was to send him back to his junior team in time for their first game of the regular season (which was end of September)as he was no where near ready physically for the NHL. But typical of previous Oiler (mis) management. And remember, the amateur guys pick them, they don't 'develop' them (insomuch as when they make the NHL I mean). 

Good point, not many. There are a few that will start right away (Matt Tkachuk as an example) but he's already looking at an 8 or 9 million dollar a year deal. Could you imagine if we had drafted him? We'd be in Wpg's shoes, we'd have to trade him or give away RNH and Larsson just to be able to sign him (I reference those two as we wouldn't be able to give away bad contracts) or trade Tkachuk. Sometimes, it's really not a bad thing for your younger players to develop slower in a salary cap environment. 

Yes, we wouldn't want a successful 1st round pick on our hands or to make the play offs would we?    I can't believe what you just wrote OilyJetFan.

Guys I feel like if Gretzky wasn't good enough in Holland's eyes than he would've been gone. We all saw the storm he weathered as he saw a lot of his colleagues get fired and replaced. Ken Holland knows what he's doing and he obviously feels like he should keep Keith in Edmonton. Tie his name to Bear, Bouchard, Jones, Malone, Currie, Marody, Starett. All of these future Oilers. Mostly Defense for a desperate Oilers Team. If Ken Holland thought that Gretzky wasn't going to do more of that than he would've fired him. There's a reason Keith is still in Edmonton. 

1 hour ago, Blackhawk216 said:

I am not concerned about other 1st round picks, but I do know what Tchachuk has done, and like him or hate him he has been a lot more impactful than JP.

JP doesn't appear to have the desire or determination to succeed, hasn't really made a big effort to speak English, and apparently now is sulking and wanting away.

It isn't just the on ice effort that I see lacking in him, he comes across as a spoilt kid who isn't prepared to work hard enough to succeed at the NHL level.

Yammo has been underwhelming also.    I really want these guys to succeed, but like I say, I am not banking on it.

Sounds like fans want to be spoiled by having the exception to the average.

Edited by Yuke