The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

2 hours ago, Edroot said:

There's a reason Keith is still in Edmonton. 

Yes ... and his last name is part of that reason (thinking it isn't is somewhat naive).

We will see how it goes.  Right now, it is completely up in the air.  Even Howard, with how the last 10 years have gone in Detroit, is a HUGE question mark.  Everything Oiler management related needs to be put under a cynical lens.  The last 13 years have earned the Oiler suits that cynicism, until they prove otherwise.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:51 PM, OilyJetFan said:

Ohhh nice, the guy who wrote it said what I said (I'm not him) - that KG is being groomed. I think he will be our next GM - Holland will eventually slide into the POHO role and make a ton of money and oversee KG for another two years or so until he finally retires. That's my bet anyway. 

sounds about right.

9 hours ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Yes, we wouldn't want a successful 1st round pick on our hands or to make the play offs would we?    I can't believe what you just wrote OilyJetFan.

lol, good point. Inability to draft is what is mainly responsible for us being in this mess.

In fairness, it looks like Keith is doing better than previous drafting regimes but if a #4 busts that is another setback.

12 hours ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Yes, we wouldn't want a successful 1st round pick on our hands or to make the play offs would we?    I can't believe what you just wrote OilyJetFan.

I didn't say that. I said it's better to let these guys DEVELOP - not everyone is cut from the same cloth. So to turn this around, say JP had score 20/ 30 / 35 goals and say 55 / 70 / 85 points his first three years here. Now we sign him to a Leon type contract - and JP all of a sudden turns into what he is now. Now what? I'd rather wait and see what you really have in a player, that's all. And for every successful first round pick you see in the first year or two after the draft, there's dozen's who never make it or takes 5, 6, 7 years to become a player. It's just the way it is in a salary cap environment.  Look what happened last time we had success.. how did that work out? 

3 hours ago, BoomnotBust said:

lol, good point. Inability to draft is what is mainly responsible for us being in this mess.

In fairness, it looks like Keith is doing better than previous drafting regimes but if a #4 busts that is another setback.

Looks like a bust - but that's when you need a #4 (as in round) draft pick to come through. Not every first round pick works out - in fact about 1/3 don't. The big thing is development. We don't do a good job of that. I'm hoping (though most likely not this coming season) that Tyler Benson can become a player. I think he has a real shot - very smart player. 

On 6/12/2019 at 7:39 PM, Yuke said:

Hmm. Have you checked how many 1st round players in those drafts are full time NHL players. My bet is you have not.

Now you can expect a little more from a 4th over all but not every player matures at the same pace.

I have now checked...………….drafted just before or just after JP was a whole host of players now doing (in my opinion) really well at the NHL level, and in some cases brilliantly well : Mathews, Laine, Dubois, Tchakuk, Keller, Jost, McEvoy and the lowest pick of those was McEvoy at 14.

That is 7 of the top 14 making in my opinion a real impact at the NHL level already.    As compared to our guy, JP who so far, looks to lack the character, determination, even ability to make it at NHL level.

Could that change?   Sure it could.   Is it likely?  Who knows, but from what we have seen so far, and his value in a trade being bantered around as not very at the moment, it probably won't.   

Naturally I hope I am wrong, but my point being how good would Tkachuk or McEvoy (both drafted below JP) be for the Oilers now, as compared with a "woe is me" and "I want to play in the NHL but not in Edmonton" JP?   Maybe he didn't actually say those words but it is reported that his agent has.

Even Keller, and Jost would be an improvement on JP's efforts, or lack of more like it.

To me it looks like JP is not prepared to put the effort in required to play at the NHL level.   Surely it can't all be down to mismanagement of the player, sooner or later he has to take some responsibility for his (so far) failure to help the club that drafted him? 

Leon travelled down a similar road as JP has, and we all know the sort of player he is now.   So come on JP, it is now or never, make 2019/20 your season.

Edited by Blackhawk216

14 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Looks like a bust - but that's when you need a #4 (as in round) draft pick to come through. Not every first round pick works out - in fact about 1/3 don't. The big thing is development. We don't do a good job of that. I'm hoping (though most likely not this coming season) that Tyler Benson can become a player. I think he has a real shot - very smart player. 

JP is most certainly a bust. Nothing will convince me otherwise. He's going back to Europe soon. It's practically his destiny. 

3 hours ago, Blackhawk216 said:

I have now checked...………….drafted just before or just after JP was a whole host of players now doing (in my opinion) really well at the NHL level, and in some cases brilliantly well : Mathews, Laine, Dubois, Tchakuk, Keller, Jost, McEvoy and the lowest pick of those was McEvoy at 14.

That is 7 of the top 14 making in my opinion a real impact at the NHL level already.    As compared to our guy, JP who so far, looks to lack the character, determination, even ability to make it at NHL level.

Could that change?   Sure it could.   Is it likely?  Who knows, but from what we have seen so far, and his value in a trade being bantered around as not very at the moment, it probably won't.   

Naturally I hope I am wrong, but my point being how good would Tkachuk or McEvoy (both drafted below JP) be for the Oilers now, as compared with a "woe is me" and "I want to play in the NHL but not in Edmonton" JP?   Maybe he didn't actually say those words but it is reported that his agent has.

Even Keller, and Jost would be an improvement on JP's efforts, or lack of more like it.

To me it looks like JP is not prepared to put the effort in required to play at the NHL level.   Surely it can't all be down to mismanagement of the player, sooner or later he has to take some responsibility for his (so far) failure to help the club that drafted him? 

Leon travelled down a similar road as JP has, and we all know the sort of player he is now.   So come on JP, it is now or never, make 2019/20 your season.

I see you left Yammy out of your post.

3 hours ago, Blackhawk216 said:

All the players you mention have been relatively healthy . No hip problems . JP is trying . But , if his hips continue to bother him , he won't have an NHL career .

1 hour ago, CupsInCanada said:

The best story is Patrick Maroon winning the cup for his kid.

Yup. Doubt he would sign anywhere else for the discount he gave the Blues

10 minutes ago, billpayor said:

Maybe he ends up back in Edmonton on a PTO .

Nah - he'll stay in St.Louis. It's all about his son. He'd probably play for league minimum to stay there if it comes to that. And you know what - good for him! It's actually refreshing to see someone put family ahead of money. You only get those years once. Those two look really close and I could only imagine how much he missed him when playing here. 

8 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Nah - he'll stay in St.Louis. It's all about his son. He'd probably play for league minimum to stay there if it comes to that. And you know what - good for him! It's actually refreshing to see someone put family ahead of money. You only get those years once. Those two look really close and I could only imagine how much he missed him when playing here. 

this is where I'm at as well. It's awesome to see an athlete stand on his principles. His priority is his son, and he's living that out. Love it. 

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

On 6/14/2019 at 3:26 PM, Yuke said:

I see you left Yammy out of your post.

Your point being?     I am not quite so down on Yammo as I think he was drafted at 18 (?)…………..shouldn't we expect a bit more of a #4 pick than 18?   Hence my focus on JP,

I await development and improvement with both players, especially as they play in a position that we are desperate to fill.  We can only hope they will both be successful, eventually...……...but will it be with the Oilers? 

1 hour ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Your point being?     I am not quite so down on Yammo as I think he was drafted at 18 (?)…………..shouldn't we expect a bit more of a #4 pick than 18?   Hence my focus on JP,

I await development and improvement with both players, especially as they play in a position that we are desperate to fill.  We can only hope they will both be successful, eventually...……...but will it be with the Oilers? 

My point being is you mentioned them in the same sentence having the same issues. 

#4, yes but not from the same type of hockey. Wondering how anyone of us would turn out without proper guidance. Maturity has a lot to do with environment, do you not think?