The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
arturo

Lookout, new goalie Smith, Mzarek or Elliot. Starrett resigns

https://oilersnation.com/2019/06/03/mike-smith-and-brian-elliott-are-possible-oilers-goalie-targets/

i think its between smith because of his tippet connection or mzarek with his holland connection. maybe starrett get a shot out of camp, but i dont like the kosk and starrett combo.  just want kosks bad habits to rub off on the kid.

Mzarek looks to be the best choice to me.

2 hours ago, arturo said:

https://oilersnation.com/2019/06/03/mike-smith-and-brian-elliott-are-possible-oilers-goalie-targets/

i think its between smith because of his tippet connection or mzarek with his holland connection. maybe starrett get a shot out of camp, but i dont like the kosk and starrett combo.  just want kosks bad habits to rub off on the kid.

It won't be Starrett, last yr was his first real season as a pro down on the farm so he'll be back there to start the season.

The other choices are interesting, my first thought was ugh Smith really, but looks like he has found success under Tippet as the article states and he actually played good for the flamers for a yr and in the playoffs this season, it was the players that pooped the bed.:D

Of the three Smith, Elliot, and Mrazek, tough call.

Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe, Hope Ken picks the Best Goal....ie.;)

image.png

1 hour ago, HappyHappy said:

It won't be Starrett, last yr was his first real season as a pro down on the farm so he'll be back there to start the season.

The other choices are interesting, my first thought was ugh Smith really, but looks like he has found success under Tippet as the article states and he actually played good for the flamers for a yr and in the playoffs this season, it was the players that pooped the bed.:D

Of the three Smith, Elliot, and Mrazek, tough call.

Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe, Hope Ken picks the Best Goal....ie.;)

my thoughts exactly on smith( i hope tippet does not bring him over), and yea i agree about starrett, his first pro season, hes 25 and needs to make a jump sometime soon, 1 more year maybe outta do it, if hes the real deal.

mzarek numbers are pretty good out of everyone. hes 27(prime years) 40 GP, 23 Wins, 14 L, 3 OT,  2.39 GAA ,914 SV%, 4 SO. i would be happiest with him.

Mzarek is the goalie I would go for if it could be done. He's younger and has more promise of mileage down the road.

The cost of fixing this "problem" could be a problem, thanks again PC.  

48 minutes ago, mrtea said:

Mzarek is the goalie I would go for if it could be done. He's younger and has more promise of mileage down the road.

The cost of fixing this "problem" could be a problem, thanks again PC.  

I agree with you and Art. Mzarek is best option. I feel like anyone else would be disappointing. 

Given the choice of Elliott, Smith or Mrazek, I'd take Mrazek. He's a bit younger, Holland knows him & while Smith played reasonably well for Calgary in the 1st round, don't forget he has generally been terrible for the better part of 2 seasons.

In my previous incarnation here, I was Apples&Hay, with over 10,000 posts...I'm back, baby!

"We have to believe in Free Will, we have no choice!

8 minutes ago, Apps98 said:

Given the choice of Elliott, Smith or Mrazek, I'd take Mrazek. He's a bit younger, Holland knows him & while Smith played reasonably well for Calgary in the 1st round, don't forget he has generally been terrible for the better part of 2 seasons.

I would take either one of these if it was a one year deal. I want a couple guys in the minors to have a shot the following year. 

yeah agree 1 year deal only. Smith, i think could be awesome for us if he returned to form, but a gamble, Elliot i think has passed it and wont be returning, safe bet is mzarek.

young guys yeah, for sure, currie, benson, gamb, marody and  jones im hoping stay to replace jujar, broadziak, reider, rattie and benning.

who you do you like for young guys

On 6/4/2019 at 2:40 PM, arturo said:

Smyth and Elliot are hot GARBAGE! I don't know much about Mzarek but how the Oiler's go about their goaltending we are not making the playoffs until Koskinen is either bought out/traded or plain out fired for any excuse that can be found. Tippet is in a bad spot if he brings in more garbage than we  already have!

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Smyth and Elliot are hot GARBAGE! I don't know much about Mzarek but how the Oiler's go about their goaltending we are not making the playoffs until Koskinen is either bought out/traded or plain out fired for any excuse that can be found. Tippet is in a bad spot if he brings in more garbage than we  already have!

Smith was amazing in the playoffs. The Flames would have been swept if he was "garbage." He was the only player who showed up for that team during all 5 games! I agree with you on the fact that we don't need him (and not Elliot for that matter) though. I'm sure there's better alternatives.

On 6/4/2019 at 2:40 PM, arturo said:

100% agree out of the three  mentioned. I have zero faith in either Elliot or Smith to stay healthy - plus both have played for the Flames. ;)

23 hours ago, arturo said:

yeah agree 1 year deal only. Smith, i think could be awesome for us if he returned to form, but a gamble, Elliot i think has passed it and wont be returning, safe bet is mzarek.

young guys yeah, for sure, currie, benson, gamb, marody and  jones im hoping stay to replace jujar, broadziak, reider, rattie and benning.

who you do you like for young guys

I'm hoping Benson can take a step - very smart player but his injuries during his developing years really hampered his skating (as in getting stronger and faster) but he's improving now. I think Jones will find his way on the team this year unless he pull an Ethan Bear and parties all summer. Speaking of Bear - he said he has learned from his mistake of last summer and will dedicate the entire off season to getting ready for training camp, so he could very well be a dark horse to make the team (replacing Benning perhaps)j. 

I don't think Marody or Gamberdella are NHL players - or ever will be. Just my take on it as they both came from college and no injuries. Can't see either one getting that NHL speed but they will be good AHL players to play with our younger guys who can develop. 

Edited by OilyJetFan

Depending on the ask, I'd take a look at what Winnipeg would want for Eric Comrie since the Jets' backup role is Brossoit's to lose. He turns 24 this summer, has 4 full seasons of pro experience and consecutive seasons with a GAA under 2.70 and SV% over .915 at the AHL level. I've seen him play a bunch of times over the past few years and he's consistently the best player for either team on most nights. From what I've seen, he looks ready for a backup role in the NHL.

If not him, then the cheaper option between Lehner, Mrazek or Elliott.

28 minutes ago, EternalFrost said:

Depending on the ask, I'd take a look at what Winnipeg would want for Eric Comrie since the Jets' backup role is Brossoit's to lose. He turns 24 this summer, has 4 full seasons of pro experience and consecutive seasons with a GAA under 2.70 and SV% over .915 at the AHL level. I've seen him play a bunch of times over the past few years and he's consistently the best player for either team on most nights. From what I've seen, he looks ready for a backup role in the NHL.

After the playoffs they had, Lehner or Mrazek won't be cheap and they'll have some options.

I think we're shopping way below names like that. Elliot might be in play, but I have no interest in him. 

I always have to qualify my opinions in goalie conversations. I have no idea what goalies will be good or not good next year. It's voodoo to me.

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

12 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

After the playoffs they had, Lehner or Mrazek won't be cheap and they'll have some options.

I think we're shopping way below names like that. Elliot might be in play, but I have no interest in him. 

I always have to qualify my opinions in goalie conversations. I have no idea what goalies will be good or not good next year. It's voodoo to me.

It's voodoo to everyone, even the goalies themselves are probably shocked at the ups and downs from year to year.

Edited by mrtea

56 minutes ago, EternalFrost said:

Comrie is the best idea I’ve heard yet. Elliott is a definite no. Mrazek and Lehner are definite maybe’s

1 hour ago, Messrules11 said:

Comrie is the best idea I’ve heard yet. Elliott is a definite no. Mrazek and Lehner are definite maybe’s

I'd also consider Malcolm Subban if the Oilers want a young pro backup. RFA, 26 this December, with a GAA under 3 and SV% over .900. He was excellent in Providence prior to being picked up by Vegas and could excel if given a bigger role than he's had backing up Fleury. Was very strong last year when Fleury was injured. Not so great this year, but should bounce back.

Halak would also be high up on my list of players to pursue via trade. Doesn't have a trade clause with a mere $2.75m cap hit for next season, which may be a little high for a backup, but a bargain for a 1B who can play 45-50 games if needed with only 1 year remaining on his contract.

56 minutes ago, EternalFrost said:

I'd also consider Malcolm Subban if the Oilers want a young pro backup. RFA, 26 this December, with a GAA under 3 and SV% over .900. He was excellent in Providence prior to being picked up by Vegas and could excel if given a bigger role than he's had backing up Fleury. Was very strong last year when Fleury was injured. Not so great this year, but should bounce back.

Halak would also be high up on my list of players to pursue via trade. Doesn't have a trade clause with a mere $2.75m cap hit for next season, which may be a little high for a backup, but a bargain for a 1B who can play 45-50 games if needed with only 1 year remaining on his contract.

I’m not real big on Subban, like you said, he wasn’t very good this year. Halak would be a great acquisition, better than Kos easily. A Comrie/Halak combo would give us a chance. Damn that Koskinen contract.

2 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

Lehner yes! Is he possible?

image.png

34 minutes ago, HappyHappy said:

Lehner yes! Is he possible?

I guess it’s ‘possible’. He has a Jennings trophy and is up for the Vezina so he’ll want to get paid. At 27 he’s going to get a nice raise on the 1.5m he made in 18/19. The Isles would be stupid to not resign him. Holland will have to be creative to get out of this Koskinen deal. No way is he worth 4.5m. It’s absolutely mind blowing that he got this contract.

23 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

I guess it’s ‘possible’. He has a Jennings trophy and is up for the Vezina so he’ll want to get paid. At 27 he’s going to get a nice raise on the 1.5m he made in 18/19. The Isles would be stupid to not resign him. Holland will have to be creative to get out of this Koskinen deal. No way is he worth 4.5m. It’s absolutely mind blowing that he got this contract.

Lehner would be nice, but I agree, there's little chance the Islanders let him hit free agency. They have $27m+ in cap space and both Trotz and Lamoriello love building teams from the net out.

Koskinen has a 15-team NTC for all 3 seasons of his contract, which will make it even more difficult to move him. I'm hopeful and optimistic that he'll look much better next season, after having a full year of NHL experience under his belt, but Holland definitely needs to add a quality backup just in case. This is going to be an interesting summer.

30 minutes ago, EternalFrost said:

Lehner would be nice, but I agree, there's little chance the Islanders let him hit free agency. They have $27m+ in cap space and both Trotz and Lamoriello love building teams from the net out.

Koskinen has a 15-team NTC for all 3 seasons of his contract, which will make it even more difficult to move him. I'm hopeful and optimistic that he'll look much better next season, after having a full year of NHL experience under his belt, but Holland definitely needs to add a quality backup just in case. This is going to be an interesting summer.

Kos? Be prepared for the sophomore slump, it’s going to be ugly.

I don't think there is any getting rid of Kosk and his paycheck, love him or hate him fellas. So, we can only hope he improves, .906 on a bad team could be worse. If the team is better that # could increase to .916 which is close to what we want/need. Everything needs to be better, not just tending. Let's also hope whoever KH brings in as the B tender is strong enough to challenge the A tender for pole position. 

Edited by HappyHappy

image.png

On 6/7/2019 at 11:14 PM, HappyHappy said:

I don't think there is any getting rid of Kosk and his paycheck, love him or hate him fellas. So, we can only hope he improves, .906 on a bad team could be worse. If the team is better that # could increase to .916 which is close to what we want/need. Everything needs to be better, not just tending. Let's also hope whoever KH brings in as the B tender is strong enough to challenge the A tender for pole position. 

Just a question...………...do we really have a goalie problem, or is it more weighted towards a defence problem?  Probably a bit of both I guess.

Sometimes it is hard to split one from the other, and during conversations such as this one,  my mind always goes back to Dubnyk.   Absolute garbage here, but a decent career in Minny.    We have to be careful we don't throw out the baby with the bathwater here with Koskinen.    50 games or thereabouts could be his maximum output for him to do a reasonable to good job for the Oilers. 

Then a good proven relief goalie for the other 32 or so games could do the trick...………….but not if we don't improve our defence significantly.         I would be shopping Russell and Benning, bringing in one puck moving defenceman if available and affordable, and giving a chance in the big league for one of Jones, Bear, or the guy from Sweden that we have just signed for one year.  Can't recall his name, Perlson or similar?    Add a good defensively sound 3rd line centreman, and maybe we can keep the puck out of our net a bit more often than last season? 

With Connor, Drai, RNH, possibly Chiasson and one (preferably two but at least one) new scoring winger the puck going into the other net should take care of itself.   

Edited by Blackhawk216

On 6/11/2019 at 12:18 PM, Blackhawk216 said:

Just a question...………...do we really have a goalie problem, or is it more weighted towards a defence problem?  Probably a bit of both I guess.

Sometimes it is hard to split one from the other, and during conversations such as this one,  my mind always goes back to Dubnyk.   Absolute garbage here, but a decent career in Minny.    We have to be careful we don't throw out the baby with the bathwater here with Koskinen.    50 games or thereabouts could be his maximum output for him to do a reasonable to good job for the Oilers. 

Then a good proven relief goalie for the other 32 or so games could do the trick...………….but not if we don't improve our defence significantly.         I would be shopping Russell and Benning, bringing in one puck moving defenceman if available and affordable, and giving a chance in the big league for one of Jones, Bear, or the guy from Sweden that we have just signed for one year.  Can't recall his name, Perlson or similar?    Add a good defensively sound 3rd line centreman, and maybe we can keep the puck out of our net a bit more often than last season? 

With Connor, Drai, RNH, possibly Chiasson and one (preferably two but at least one) new scoring winger the puck going into the other net should take care of itself.   

Problems in all areas really, pick your damage ha. As for the rest of your post my thoughts are similar to yours...

Goaltending. I'm willing to give Kosk another chance (no choice haha). Holland has already suggested he'll be addressing this area and bringing in a 1B so hopefully the split duties and off-season training (I hope) Kosk is doing improves this area as a whole.

As for defense I don't expect much to happen over the summer, just a hunch. Could see Russell moved if Holland sees a chance to unload a heavy contract but other then that I think he'll wait to see what the current group looks like to start the season. I think Jones and Bouchard are closest to making the big team at some point during the season, maybe sooner then later. Another hunch. So manty fine prospects in this area, the farm will be stacked. I hope if Ken shops one or two of them he picks the right ones to keep, whichever they may be. I'd hold on to them all for now personally. Let them grow.

Forwards. Again like Russell if Holland sees a chance to move a heavy contract in Lucic he'll do it, but he might be taking one back (Erikson), we wait. Agreed we need a winger or two and I think Holland will address this area after he deals with the goaltending. As well recruit at a 3C like you mention. 

So for me, Holland needs to look for a tender, a couple top 9 wingers, and a 3C, and away we go, lol. Git er dun Kenny!

image.png

Goaltending wise, we need a combo that can deliver about 50 wins to be a playoff team.  IF Kosk can stretch and hit 35 wins (from his 25 this season), that leaves a doable number for a decent  backup. 

Even with his bad season, Kosk was around 54% winning percentage (6 of his losses can in OT).  In other words a bad season for him and he resembles Varlamov, Price and Dubnyk in winning %.  Makes me think that reaching for a 35-win season should not be out of the question, as long as he comes ready to own the net.

There should be some serviceable backups to ride shotgun.

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be