The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
arturo

Summary so far

chaission at just over  2 million per year for 2 years, good move good price for a 20 plus goal scorer

mike smith at min 2 million, could be 4 million if he hits bonuses. bad move, health, age and we could have a 8.5 million dollar tandem of smith and kosk. wow. no more mzarek.

jujar 1.2 million for 2 years. meh move, very bad season last year, but at his age he could improve maybe.

connor brown, we missed out on his for mat benning . very bad we missed out on this. guy was affordable, could have played with mcdavid, because he use to play in juniors with him on the same line. at worst we had our-self a hard working 3rd line winger, and we could have given benning the door and given more young guys a chance in our rebuild.

brandon pirri 28 year old lw/rw in 31 games had 12 goals and 18 pts. he signed with vegas for 755k per for 2 years. how did we miss this guy again? this is a bad move missing out on such  cheap versatile forward that can at least chip in 10 goals if not more.

grandlund(not the good one) but at 1.3 million per year id say this one is ok given his point production and ability to kill penalties. hopefully and upgrade from are slow footed friend in kyle B

missed out on, connor brown, petre mzarek, brandon pirri,

new additions, a 37 year old unhealthy mike smith, grandlund ok PK and depth guy, 3rd /4th line guy for cheap

resigns, jujar, meh move 1.2 million is a bit high fro what hes done so far,  chaisson is a steal at just over 2 million.

best oiler move: a cheap chaisson sign

worst oiler move: missing out on connor brown.

Why do you think it's the organization's fault for "missing out" on players? They have options and if they have the same offer from a non-Edmonton team, they usually take it. 

Cody Ceci is better now, and has more upside, than Matt Benning. And, they were willing to take Zaitsev, which we shouldn't and wouldn't be willing to do that.

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

1 hour ago, Fogolin2 said:

Why do you think it's the organization's fault for "missing out" on players? They have options and if they have the same offer from a non-Edmonton team, they usually take it. 

Cody Ceci is better now, and has more upside, than Matt Benning. And, they were willing to take Zaitsev, which we shouldn't and wouldn't be willing to do that.

Art lives in a world where all these players have us as our first choice and would play here for minimum salary. He also thinks our GM just sits around and waits for agents to call him. 

As you know Fog, we have no idea what goes in the background - in terms of players being discussed, trades , etc. I know he was trying to move Sek as an example but obviously whatever deal as out there wasn't good so he was forced to buy him out. And I"m with you on Zaitsev - no way we could use him at his wage. 

1 minute ago, OilyJetFan said:

Art lives in a world where all these players have us as our first choice and would play here for minimum salary. He also thinks our GM just sits around and waits for agents to call him. 

As you know Fog, we have no idea what goes in the background - in terms of players being discussed, trades , etc. I know he was trying to move Sek as an example but obviously whatever deal as out there wasn't good so he was forced to buy him out. And I"m with you on Zaitsev - no way we could use him at his wage. 

It's hard to shout and shake your fist at things that make sense, so some folks just choose to ignore the things that make sense. Outrage is a hobby these days.

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Yup. And anyone that thought Connor Brown was going anywhere without a boat anchor of a contract player going with him is clueless. 

They signed Chaisson to a reasonable contract .

Can only hope Smith makes all his bonuses . Because that means the Oilers make the playoffs . Talbot in Calgary , fun times .

Jujhar Khaira signed that's fine .

Granlund signed to a sensible contract for a year .

Jurco signed to a year show me kind of contract , could end up in Bakersfield and a possible call up when needed .

Gaetan Haas from the Swiss league has some promise along with Nygard , both older players with considerable experience in Europe .

All depth signings , all pro's . Nothing outlandish that would screw the team for years to come . So far so good .

Tomorrow's another day , Johannsen , Dzingel , Ferland , Brassard , Boyle & Maroon are still out there . Can Holland land one of those guy's to a reasonable contract for a couple years ? Or do they all slip away to other teams ? One of Johannsen , Dzingel or Ferland would be nice . But of course you know it might be one of , Brassard , Boyle or Maroon to round things out , and that's OK . I like Holland's conservative approach .

I think some fans are disappointed with whats transpired so far this summer. But Ken has few dollars to work with. And maybe thats not a terrible thing at the moment...Alot of these long term big money signings to players entering their 30's is a bit out of hand...and often doesnt work out in the long run, sometimes sooner than later...like Lucic. The list goes on and on though around the league. Ken right now is playing it smart, not only because he doesnt have a choice, but the long game he's playing is the smart game. 

He'll wait to see who skakes loose due to cap restraints from other teams that have made moves, and/or have to make moves to sign their rfas, or pending ufas, etc. 

Many players/teams are going through arbitration right now...The Oilers are not one of them. 

And the longer ufas dont have an offer theyre looking for on the table, the more willing they'll be to take a lesser offer for less term. Which would be perfect for us. All these scenarios can only help a team in our postition.

-So thus far he's resigned Chiasson and Khaira to team friendly deals. I was sort of neither yay or nay on these two, but theyll both contribute to the bottom 6, give us size, and are the type of guys that will play their butts off for Kens faith in them. Both want to be here more than anywhere else, and theres something to be said for that as well.  

-Hes taken an educated flyer on a couple Euro's in Nygard and Haas. Both speedy experienced pro players. And signing another speedy experienced pro he drafted in Jurco. 

-Granlund is another experieced guy who can skate and play any forward position. Hes put up double digit goals, and can complement higher end players, due to his skill, and 2 way play. Thats important. Especially under Tippett. 

All of these players will push the pace at camp. Theyre not just teenagers trying to show what they've got before being sent back to junior, or established vets on the team going through the motions. 

We've seen to many times through out the decade plus of darkness now, young players being gifted spots on the team, simply because they had no real competition to speak of standing in theyre way...or vets that cant keep up with the pace of play, once the season starts for real...

Signing experienced hungry pros who can really skate, will push others already wearing Oiler silks to be better as well...and will create real competition in camp, I dont think weve seen for a while. Thats part of the idea. That will make this team better. 

For example: We should get a pretty good idea of how ready a player like Benson is, when faced with Nygard, Jurco, and Granlund. All fighting for a middle six LW job. 

I expect Ken to sign or trade for a 3rd line center, and probably add another winger whos played at least one season in the league, and shows upside. Maybe a late bloomer...

My top choice for center would be Haula, with JP going the other way. 

Id sign Josh Archibald...though I hate agreeing with Stauffer on this one, lol

Plausible lineup...

Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian 

Granlund - Nuge - Gagner/Chiasson

Nygard - Haula - Chiasson/Gagner

Khaira/Lucic-Haas/Khaira-Archibald 

Gambardella, Benson, Marody, Jurco, etc...

Unless we're somehow able to move out some cash, Benning for a pick for example and aquire a middle tier RW, in the 2.5M range...instead of 1M. Then that right side changes..

26 minutes ago, dkers77 said:

I think some fans are disappointed with whats transpired so far this summer. But Ken has few dollars to work with. And maybe thats not a terrible thing at the moment...Alot of these long term big money signings to players entering their 30's is a bit out of hand...and often doesnt work out in the long run, sometimes sooner than later...like Lucic. The list goes on and on though around the league. Ken right now is playing it smart, not only because he doesnt have a choice, but the long game he's playing is the smart game. 

He'll wait to see who skakes loose due to cap restraints from other teams that have made moves, and/or have to make moves to sign their rfas, or pending ufas, etc. 

Many players/teams are going through arbitration right now...The Oilers are not one of them. 

And the longer ufas dont have an offer theyre looking for on the table, the more willing they'll be to take a lesser offer for less term. Which would be perfect for us. All these scenarios can only help a team in our postition.

-So thus far he's resigned Chiasson and Khaira to team friendly deals. I was sort of neither yay or nay on these two, but theyll both contribute to the bottom 6, give us size, and are the type of guys that will play their butts off for Kens faith in them. Both want to be here more than anywhere else, and theres something to be said for that as well.  

-Hes taken an educated flyer on a couple Euro's in Nygard and Haas. Both speedy experienced pro players. And signing another speedy experienced pro he drafted in Jurco. 

-Granlund is another experieced guy who can skate and play any forward position. Hes put up double digit goals, and can complement higher end players, due to his skill, and 2 way play. Thats important. Especially under Tippett. 

All of these players will push the pace at camp. Theyre not just teenagers trying to show what they've got before being sent back to junior, or established vets on the team going through the motions. 

We've seen to many times through out the decade plus of darkness now, young players being gifted spots on the team, simply because they had no real competition to speak of standing in theyre way...or vets that cant keep up with the pace of play, once the season starts for real...

Signing experienced hungry pros who can really skate, will push others already wearing Oiler silks to be better as well...and will create real competition in camp, I dont think weve seen for a while. Thats part of the idea. That will make this team better. 

For example: We should get a pretty good idea of how ready a player like Benson is, when faced with Nygard, Jurco, and Granlund. All fighting for a middle six LW job. 

I expect Ken to sign or trade for a 3rd line center, and probably add another winger whos played at least one season in the league, and shows upside. Maybe a late bloomer...

My top choice for center would be Haula, with JP going the other way. 

Id sign Josh Archibald...though I hate agreeing with Stauffer on this one, lol

Plausible lineup...

Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian 

Granlund - Nuge - Gagner/Chiasson

Nygard - Haula - Chiasson/Gagner

Khaira/Lucic-Haas/Khaira-Archibald 

Gambardella, Benson, Marody, Jurco, etc...

Unless we're somehow able to move out some cash, Benning for a pick for example and aquire a middle tier RW, in the 2.5M range...instead of 1M. Then that right side changes..

I'd like to see Gambardella and Benson move up in the lineup and Granlund will probably play center on the third or fourth line imo. I wish we had more definite plans,

54 minutes ago, Telly-Belly said:

I'd like to see Gambardella and Benson move up in the lineup and Granlund will probably play center on the third or fourth line imo. I wish we had more definite plans,

Gambs and Benson are my favorites to make team out of Bakerfield as well, but not sure at this point if Benson is better than Granlund due to NHL experience, but I have lots of time for Tyler. I could see Granlund playing 3C, if we cant improve upon that before camp...but it sounds like he prefers wing, but will play the middle if need be...And I love Gambs jam that he brings every night. He could be a lines engine, and just the type of player Tippett could get the most out of. The problem is we might still have Lucic come fall, and w Khaira signed, if he plays wing, then it might be hard to crack regular lineup...I really think this year, Ken wants to ice the most experienced lineup "that can really skate" that he can...minus Lucic obviously...hence why he signed Nygard and Haas...because the team, especially bottom 6 were too slow to adequately forecheck, which Tippett will want to apply to the max...the new style of play will be fast zone exits, and forecheck pressure. Obviously that's very simplified, and every team wants to do that...but we havent seen near enough of it, and thats why we've seen so much failure. If you cant exit, transition, and pressure, your screwed. Of course once you have possession up ice, thats where Benson comes in...sublime passer from what I've seen...could be mid season callup, if one of those others falters...with the exception that hes heads and shoulders above all the others through camp, then he could be in opening lineup...we'll see? 

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ken-holland-has-definitely-addressed-at-least-one-of-edmontons-four-biggest-needs

David Staples has an interesting, yet perplexing take.

He pencils all of Jurco, Nygaard, Haas, and Persson into the Oilers' roster this year, and calls it a win because skating has improved.

I find that a bit concerning, as 3 of those 4 have NEVER played a game of North American hockey, two of them come from the SEL, which is about the same level as the AHL, where they were about average players (SEL players, more often than not, needing a year or two to transition to the North American game), and one coming from a step down from that, the Swiss league, where he was an average player, and the 4th, having played in the NHL, but not last year, and never for an entire season, on 2 separate clubs.

Staples calls these guys an upgrade on Caggiula, Rattie, Reider, Brodziak.  Of course Staples also called Reider and Brodziak a clear upgrade on Maroon and Letestu.  I am looking at Rattie and Jurco as being a saw off.  Two bubble guys who have never gotten any traction.  Jurco the better skater.  Brodziak looks about done but is still capable of putting in an NHL shift.  Is Haas really expected to step straight into the NHL from the middle of the pack in the Swiss league?  Reider legitimately has made it onto 3 different teams rosters, and has been an NHL hockey player.  Nygaard?  What has he done?  Persson is a defender.  Defending BIG Euro ice.  Now transitioning to the small rink.  How has that transition gone for other Euro defenders in the past?  I think particularly about a big Russian who won KHL defender of the year (equivalent to their Norris trophy).

It may work.  But it is rolling the ever gambling dice of the Edmonton Oilers hockey Ops.  Not even playing the odds.  Just always going All In on that which might have the biggest pay out, while holding the most risk, and highest percentage chances of not paying out.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Good posts dkers, pretty much agree with most of what you say. I agree with you and Telly as far as left wingers go, Benson and Gambs are probably our first call-ups on left wing this season and likely deservedly so. Both had great seasons last year as well as Malone on C who I hope gets a call-up again at some point also. Currie and P.Russell on RW.

On Khaira and Chiasson I will add that both seem excited to be here and I love that. As most of you know I am high on Khaira, one of the few players we have drafted and developed into an NHL player that I believe has not yet hit his ceiling and is a useful bottom 6 forward. I've lowered my expectations of him after last year but I think he can rebound to 10+ goals this year if he remains healthy and drives the net more and plays to his strengths. Alex is pretty stoked after signing his first multi-year contract and I think he can push for 20 goals again but only in a top 6 role, he cooled off significantly the second half of last season so we'll see. He seems pumped so that gets me pumped to see what he brings come October.

On the new guys, yup mostly bottom 6 competition which is good and it sounds like Granlund was a top PKer in Van last season who had the 11th best PK in the league and not sure if it is Nygard or Haas or Jurco but one of them is a penalty killer also which is an area we need a boatload of improvement in so hopefully these guys can contribute in that area. I'm sure Ken had this in mind when acquiring them.

Edited by HappyHappy

image.png

32 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ken-holland-has-definitely-addressed-at-least-one-of-edmontons-four-biggest-needs

David Staples has an interesting, yet perplexing take.

He pencils all of Jurco, Nygaard, Haas, and Persson into the Oilers' roster this year, and calls it a win because skating has improved.

I find that a bit concerning, as 3 of those 4 have NEVER played a game of North American hockey, two of them come from the SEL, which is about the same level as the AHL, where they were about average players (SEL players, more often than not, needing a year or two to transition to the North American game), and one coming from a step down from that, the Swiss league, where he was an average player, and the 4th, having played in the NHL, but not last year, and never for an entire season, on 2 separate clubs.

Staples calls these guys an upgrade on Caggiula, Rattie, Reider, Brodziak.  Of course Staples also called Reider and Brodziak a clear upgrade on Maroon and Letestu.  I am looking at Rattie and Jurco as being a saw off.  Two bubble guys who have never gotten any traction.  Jurco the better skater.  Brodziak looks about done but is still capable of putting in an NHL shift.  Is Haas really expected to step straight into the NHL from the middle of the pack in the Swiss league?  Reider legitimately has made it onto 3 different teams rosters, and has been an NHL hockey player.  Nygaard?  What has he done?  Persson is a defender.  Defending BIG Euro ice.  Now transitioning to the small rink.  How has that transition gone for other Euro defenders in the past?  I think particularly about a big Russian who won KHL defender of the year (equivalent to their Norris trophy).

It may work.  But it is rolling the ever gambling dice of the Edmonton Oilers hockey Ops.  Not even playing the odds.  Just always going All In on that which might have the biggest pay out, while holding the most risk, and highest percentage chances of not paying out.

Chiasson is the worst skater on the team? Really? He may not be all that great but last? At least he can score.

Just now, Telly-Belly said:

Chiasson is the worst skater on the team? Really? He may not be all that great but last? At least he can score.

Yeah.  I was thinking that grading system of skating is a complete Staples fabrication.  Chiasson is a better skater than Lucic and Brodziak.  Gambardella can hold his own.

Also, Haas, like Nygaard, is reported to be the best skater of his Swiss league.  He may even press Nygaard in that category. Staples gives him a "B".   It is why the Oilers went after the two of them.  I like it.  I like it best that it is a ONE year experiment.  One year that is going to be difficult at best.  Why not at least skate circles around the opposition.  At least that is entertaining.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

2 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

Yeah.  I was thinking that grading system of skating is a complete Staples fabrication.  Chiasson is a better skater than Lucic and Brodziak.  Gambardella can hold his own.

Also, Haas, like Nygaard, is reported to be the best skater of his Swiss league.  He may even press Nygaard in that category. Staples gives him a "B".   It is why the Oilers went after the two of them.  I like it.  I like it best that it is a ONE year experiment.  One year that is going to be difficult at best.  Why not at least skate circles around the opposition.  At least that is entertaining.

Besides that, Reider is suppose to be an above address skater but what good was that last year? I don't think a whole lot of Staples opinion.

Edited by Telly-Belly

1 minute ago, Telly-Belly said:

Besides that, Reider is suppose to be an above address skater but what good was that last year? I don't think a whole lot of Staples opinion.

I agree with you on Staples.

Last year, Reider's skating wasn't the problem.  He used it quite well to play his NHL game ..... defence.  The problem with Reider was fan expectation, which was fanned by the Oiler hype machine.  Most fans only read the Oiler website to get their player information, and look to that site as the gospel truth of all prospects and acquisitions. 

Staples seems to be mostly in line with what the Oilers tell him to be in line with.