The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
bronco73

Oilers Sign Jurco

2 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

I already posted this .... Meaningless Minor signings ....

Yes you posted it in the GM thread, thanks for that.  Every other signing seems to have gotten it's own thread so what's the big deal lol?  Anyways, I placed all this years moves thus far into the "Latest signings and acquisitions" thread, that seems like a good place for all of it.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

1 minute ago, bronco73 said:

Yes you posted it in the GM thread, thanks for that.  Every other signing seems to have gotten it's own thread so what's the big deal lol?  Anyways, I placed all this years moves thus far into the "Latest signings and acquisitions" thread, that seems like a good place for all of it.

I just figure he has been signed for the Minors ... so I made a thread for Minor League signings.   

Feel free to delete the thread ... Jurko is likely the only minor league signing coming.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

1 minute ago, bronco73 said:

My guess is he's more frustrated with the signings and not so much where they are announced. Can't say that I disagree either. Something to hang our star on would be a positive move in KH's corner.

5 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

I just figure he has been signed for the Minors ... so I made a thread for Minor League signings.   

Feel free to delete the thread ... Jurko is likely the only minor league signing coming.

no I must apologize I had looked for a signings thread but not for a minor league signings one.  That being said, this is a one way deal so my assumption is that he's going to be expected to play for the NHL squad.

7 minutes ago, Telly-Belly said:

My guess is he's more frustrated with the signings and not so much where they are announced. Can't say that I disagree either. Something to hang our star on would be a positive move in KH's corner.

pretty tough to do when you have very little cap to work with.  Look at the signings, all the big names are signing for 5 million and above (way above in most cases), heck even Wade Simmonds just signed for 5 million.  We just don't have that kind of room to sign anybody.

brocomud.JPG

3 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

no I must apologize I had looked for a signings thread but not for a minor league signings one.  That being said, this is a one way deal so my assumption is that he's going to be expected to play for the NHL squad.

pretty tough to do when you have very little cap to work with.  Look at the signings, all the big names are signing for 5 million and above (way above in most cases), heck even Wade Simmonds just signed for 5 million.  We just don't have that kind of room to sign anybody.

Sadly, true. I get a sinking feeling in my "belly" that any good will take yet more time to recover from PC.

3 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

No apologies needed.   I named the thread "cleverly" ... in hind sight, that cleverness is just confusing.  Again, I have no problem with that thread being removed or merged into this one (I just don't have the power to do it).

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

8 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

I already posted this .... Meaningless Minor signings ....

Jurco can be 20+ goal scorer. I think he will do it this season. He comes in really cheap.

Edited by sszorin

2 hours ago, sszorin said:

Jurco can be 20+ goal scorer. I think he will do it this season. He comes in really cheap.

20 goals?

His history does not show that. Why do you think he can do that?

19 hours ago, Yuke said:

20 goals?

because this team might just be talent strapped enough to give him 82 games.  6 goals in 29 games for Chicago last year, pro-rated over 82 games gives him 17 goals.  More minutes and more favorable TOI and linemates, and I could see him hit 20.

Mind you we only needed 10 from Rieder to make playoffs and we couldn't even get that

brocomud.JPG

2 hours ago, bronco73 said:

because this team might just be talent strapped enough to give him 82 games.  6 goals in 29 games for Chicago last year, pro-rated over 82 games gives him 17 goals.  More minutes and more favorable TOI and linemates, and I could see him hit 20.

Mind you we only needed 10 from Rieder to make playoffs and we couldn't even get that

This is a player who has bounced up and down from AHL to NHL, from team to team, to now team.  What concerns me is what causes the bouncing?  6 goals in 29 games looks pretty okay, but he didn't stick, and Chicago had no interest in keeping him.  That looks like a personality problem, or lifestyle difficulty, or a character challenge.

I don't know anything about this guy, but I'm not sure the Oilers are the place for reclamation projects right now.

15 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

This is a player who has bounced up and down from AHL to NHL, from team to team, to now team.  What concerns me is what causes the bouncing?  6 goals in 29 games looks pretty okay, but he didn't stick, and Chicago had no interest in keeping him.  That looks like a personality problem, or lifestyle difficulty, or a character challenge.

I don't know anything about this guy, but I'm not sure the Oilers are the place for reclamation projects right now.

Injuries past two years. He cam back healthy in the playoffs in the AHL last year. Not much different than Benson.

5 minutes ago, WindsorOiler said:

Injuries past two years. He cam back healthy in the playoffs in the AHL last year. Not much different than Benson.

Except Benson has been held onto by the Oilers, and not bounced around.

When a player bounces, it causes me to raise an eyebrow.  It costs nothing for a team to keep a prospect that they see hope in down on the farm.  Especially one with a reputation for having skill.  When they give up on him after a year or two, especially a year or two of bad luck injuries, it looks like something else is going on, or that the injuries are more permanent.  

The teams that give up on a player should know far more about the player than a team taking a flyer.  When those teams, with their more complete information, walk away, I begin to question.  We'll see ...... If anything, the farm needs some forwards too.

2 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

When a player bounces, it causes me to raise an eyebrow.  It costs nothing for a team to keep a prospect that they see hope in down on the farm.  Especially one with a reputation for having skill.  When they give up on him after a year or two, especially a year or two of bad luck injuries, it looks like something else is going on, or that the injuries are more permanent.  

The teams that give up on a player should know far more about the player than a team taking a flyer.  When those teams, with their more complete information, walk away, I begin to question.  We'll see ...... If anything, the farm needs some forwards too.

He should be highly motivated to resurrect his NHL career . Give him a year at just over the minimum and see what he can do . Holland is familiar with this player , he might end up in Bakersfield or he might be a surprise '

On 7/2/2019 at 1:31 AM, Yuke said:

20 goals?

His lingering back problem was finally surgically fixed the last season. He started to skate around Christmas. He was smart enough to sign with an AHL team to get into playing shape. He had very good playoffs - he won the Calder Cup with his team.

He is defensively responsible and he is a good character in the dressing room.

He should reach either 20 goal level or 50 point level if given the chance on the second line.

Edited by sszorin

5 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

The greatest player of all time bounced around a bit too :ph34r:.

6 minutes ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

The greatest player of all time bounced around a bit too :ph34r:.

Gretzky? He was bought and sold.  That is different than walked away from and dumped.  His bouncing ended at 18 when the Oilers bought his professional playing rights from the defunct Indianapolis Racers of the bankrupt World Hockey Association (WHA).

Or are you referring to some other "greatest player of all time"?

Deutsch, I can understand your pessimism. But you yourself said we can't expect to do much this year.

Holland is in the unenviable position of digging out of the mess he inherited. And so he has to find ways to try and move the needle forward somehow, but without mortgaging the future Leafs style either.

A move like signing Jurco seems underwhelming, and I admit it could very well fall flat. But if Holland wants to try and navigate different objectives, that often pull in different directions from each other, it's exactly these kind of bets that he needs to make.

38 minutes ago, SuperDave17 said:

Deutsch, I can understand your pessimism. But you yourself said we can't expect to do much this year.

Holland is in the unenviable position of digging out of the mess he inherited. And so he has to find ways to try and move the needle forward somehow, but without mortgaging the future Leafs style either.

A move like signing Jurco seems underwhelming, and I admit it could very well fall flat. But if Holland wants to try and navigate different objectives, that often pull in different directions from each other, it's exactly these kind of bets that he needs to make.

I'm not overly negative on what needs to be done.

I am negative on two things though:

1. Insistence on continuing to do everything the same way that has failed so many times before, and the fervour with which they are being argued as the ONLY way now.

2. Unrealistic expectations, and angry optimism (as defined by anger and attacks directed at people who have a differing opinion).

Jurco is a cross-fingers-flyer.  But he is a cheap flyer, that will help the farm if he doesn't the Big Club.  I have no problem with that.  But the oversell to increase hype?  Yeah I've seen that every year.  Aberg and Rieder to name just two from last year (but the list over the years is extensive).  The unclaimed hype, turns to negativity from the same self-proclaimed angry optimists by mid season (or earlier), the pressure mounts, the player then underperforms while being booed relentlessly on Edmonton ice.

1 hour ago, DeutchOil said:

1. Insistence on continuing to do everything the same way that has failed so many times before, and the fervour with which they are being argued as the ONLY way now.

2. Unrealistic expectations, and angry optimism (as defined by anger and attacks directed at people who have a differing opinion).

Jurco is a cross-fingers-flyer.  But he is a cheap flyer, that will help the farm if he doesn't the Big Club.  I have no problem with that.  But the oversell to increase hype?  Yeah I've seen that every year.  Aberg and Rieder to name just two from last year (but the list over the years is extensive).  The unclaimed hype, turns to negativity from the same self-proclaimed angry optimists by mid season (or earlier), the pressure mounts, the player then underperforms while being booed relentlessly on Edmonton ice.

That's all very interesting . 

How would you go about it ?

35 minutes ago, billpayor said:

That's all very interesting . 

How would you go about it ?

As I have stated over and over.

Leave the youngsters in the AHL to develop.  Let them Age.   Learn how to be professional.  Learn how to win.  Learn how to pay bills on time, live like an adult, be responsible, MATURE.

Put the players that have no future with the Oilers in position to compete with the players just acquired that may want to earn longer stays up against one another to fill the roster.  Haas, Nygard, Jurco, Gambardella, Currie, Granlund, Malone, P.Russel, Marody for the forwards, Manning, Mantha, Lagesson (he's 23), Lowe, Persson for defence.

If Jones (22) pushes for a spot?  One Young Rookie maximum in the NHL.  The rest, go down.  No ands, ifs, or buts.  I would like to see the Oilers (who will struggle at best this year) do this.  I don't think their chances would be any worse than they have been going on 14 years.

In the mean time.  Keep shaking the trees and see if some of the bad contracts can't just be flushed out of town, Lucic, Manning, Koskinen, even Gagner and Russel, while bringing in an actually well scouted professional NHL hockey player to replace them.  Here is where the creativity is needed.

Edited by DeutchOil

2 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

Hey don't you be dissin' the Rieder.  He was only 10 goals shy of putting us into the playoffs.

brocomud.JPG

5 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Hey don't you be dissin' the Rieder.  He was only 10 goals shy of putting us into the playoffs.

I cringe to think what the expectations will be upon Granlund by the time the season starts.

57 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

As I have stated over and over.

Leave the youngsters in the AHL to develop.  Let them Age.   Learn how to be professional.  Learn how to win.  Learn how to pay bills on time, live like an adult, be responsible, MATURE.

Put the players that have no future with the Oilers in position to compete with the players just acquired that may want to earn longer stays up against one another to fill the roster.  Haas, Nygard, Jurco, Gambardella, Currie, Granlund, Malone, P.Russel, Marody for the forwards, Manning, Mantha, Lagesson (he's 23), Lowe, Persson for defence.

If Jones (22) pushes for a spot?  One Young Rookie maximum in the NHL.  The rest, go down.  No ands, ifs, or buts.  I would like to see the Oilers (who will struggle at best this year) do this.  I don't think their chances would be any worse than they have been going on 14 years.

In the mean time.  Keep shaking the trees and see if some of the bad contracts can't just be flushed out of town, Lucic, Manning, Koskinen, even Gagner and Russel, while bringing in an actually well scouted professional NHL hockey player to replace them.  Here is where the creativity is needed.

Do you not think that is what Holland has in mind ? Isn't that Hollands MO in the first place ?

Those bad contracts will shake loose eventually . Then they can truly go to work on improving the team .

Edited by billpayor

2 hours ago, billpayor said:

Do you not think that is what Holland has in mind ? Isn't that Hollands MO in the first place ?

Those bad contracts will shake loose eventually . Then they can truly go to work on improving the team .

I do think this is the plan.  But other posters here insist that the plan is to play two youngsters in the back and as many as 2 up front, and push for the playoffs that way.

I do not think that is what will happen, or what should happen.

Then, after this year is miserably over, "they can truly go to work on improving the team."

20 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

I cringe to think what the expectations will be upon Granlund by the time the season starts.

My expectation is 1 (one) goal this year.

3 minutes ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

My expectation is 1 (one) goal this year.

At least its realistic for defensive forward playing, potentially with offence killers like Kassian, Lucic, or the myriad of AHL/non-NHL players currently on roster.

I think his chances at 10+ are half decent.  He has better hands than Reider.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:36 PM, DeutchOil said:

This is a player that could get his stats bumped up by one of our big three and some sucker ( hopfully not us) will overpay next season for him.

ODIE7_zps90ycfzl1.PNG