The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
HappyHappy

2019/2020 Training Camp

September begins tomorrow. We are 2 weeks away from pre-season games. Training camp will begin pretty soon, here is a place to discuss camp. 

GO OILERS GO!

image.png

15 hours ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

Finally... Some hockey 🤤

I've been watching A LOT of hockey highlights on you-tube lately, It's been helping me get through the wait, but it's not the same.;)

Oiler rookies play the Flamer rookies on Saturday the 7th in Red Deer then again on Tuesday the 10th in Calgary.

Then 7 pre-season games:

16th vs Jets

17th @ Canucks

19th vs Canucks

20th @ Flames

24th vs Coyotes

26th @ Jets

28th @ Flames 

And October 2nd it's officially gaaaaaaaaaaame ooooooooooooon!!! At home to spank the CaNix!:D

image.png

just hope we finally start climbing the ladder this year.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

5 hours ago, bronco73 said:

just hope we finally start climbing the ladder this year.

Not counting on it. I've been far too busy to think about hockey over the summer anyway. I have a wedding to plan this fall among other things so unfortunately, I won't be able to see many games that's for sure.

In case the season goes south, the Dr. is in.

I have a optimistic, Happy Happy, kind of feeling that this will be a much improved season over last year. 88 points is conservative but I kind of think it will be 93.

If Nuge/Neal click, then I expect a bunch of more games won. All depends on goaltending, of course. Hopefully Tip can get the most out if our D.

2 hours ago, Telly-Belly said:

In case the season goes south, the Dr. is in.

I have a optimistic, Happy Happy, kind of feeling that this will be a much improved season over last year. 88 points is conservative but I kind of think it will be 93.

Image result for give it to me straight doctor gif

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

A little interview with GG here, discusses the pk and bottom 6 players. Man our bottom 6 were horrendous last season, worst in the last 44 years in the NHL with 43 goals, ugh:

https://oilersnation.com/2019/09/03/glen-gulutzan-edmonton-oilers-penalty-kill-and-the-bottom-six/

Edited by HappyHappy

image.png

Oilers vs Flamers rookies go tomorrow night in Red Deer at 7pm mst I believe. Hoping it's shown on you-tube if not here on the Oil home site. Oilers hockey is back! Hope we spank em! ;)

• Like 1

image.png

This offseason has felt longer than any in recent memory.  That being said, I'm optimistic for the first time in a long while, with Holland shoring up the bottom 6 and giving it some actual scoring threat.  Add to that the Neal Deal (I'm so hoping someone fights Looch in Game 1, hopefully Nurse has another crack at him and demolishes him) and the arrival of  Mike Smith (I'm not hanging hopes on him, but he can also be a great goalie coach as well as being able to split the season with our gloveless wonder Koskinen) and we are on paper looking better.  That being said our defense is looking kind of sparse, hopefully one of these younger guys can step in and give us a workable option in lieu of Sekera.

• Like 1

IZEuOE.jpg

1 hour ago, pjrocksmb said:

No matter what happens at least the Oil are not like the Jets that lost there entire back end.  

They won't be able to restock it either, so we're a little ahead of them in that regard

As training camp wears on , we may already be seeing the services of Russell & Gagner diminish each day . In fact , I already find it difficult finding a roster spot for Gagner anywhere , while Rusty has already dropped down to the third pair , left side , with both Jones & Lagesson nipping at his heels .

Both Gagner & Russell , with their contracts , must be feeling the heat . Adios amigos !!!

Benning's only saving grace is , he's a RHD .

Edited by billpayor

2 hours ago, billpayor said:

As training camp wears on , we may already be seeing the services of Russell & Gagner diminish each day . In fact , I already find it difficult finding a roster spot for Gagner anywhere , while Rusty has already dropped down to the third pair , left side , with both Jones & Lagesson nipping at his heels .

Both Gagner & Russell , with their contracts , must be feeling the heat . Adios amigos !!!

Benning's only saving grace is , he's a RHD .

Benning also has one of the best shots from the point on our team, and he doesn't mind getting dirty. All he needs to work on, IMO, is his hit timing and positioning. He's at that awkward stage where he's better than third pairing but not good enough for second pairing. Hopefully he changes that this season.

15 minutes ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

Benning also has one of the best shots from the point on our team, and he doesn't mind getting dirty. All he needs to work on, IMO, is his hit timing and positioning. He's at that awkward stage where he's better than third pairing but not good enough for second pairing. Hopefully he changes that this season.

Totally agree . But look at the RHD's on the horizon and what they can bring .

Edited by billpayor

From the perspective of defence, this training camp promises to be rockin'.  Jones, Bear, Persson, Lagesson and Bouchard won't be happy just getting a look...they're going for it.  While many of us fans consider Bouchard to be a year away - the coaches don't necessarily hold that view.  A couple of weeks ago, Tippett spoke on radio saying that Bouchard has as much chance of starting as anyone.  It's what you bring that counts....best player available.

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

14 minutes ago, billpayor said:

Totally agree . But look at the RHD's on the horizon and what they can bring .

Oh of course, Bouch will eventually take him and Larsson over which will push Benning to be the definitive 3RD, but that this moment in time Benning is at that awkward spot in his growth as a player.

Great article by lowetide today here:

https://lowetide.ca/2019/09/10/autumn-leaves-2/

I always enjoy his breakdown of how he sees where our current players within the system are at in their development and how close or far off they may be to making the team.

Also... JP for this guy... Alex Volkov, plus a pick:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=205470

apparently Friedman (in latest podcast) mentions this is the "rumored" ask? as lowetide states near the end of the blog above.

Also also, Oiler rookies rematch Flamer rookies tonight in Calgary. Rodrigue gets the start in net.

Go mini-Oilers Go!!

Edited by HappyHappy

image.png

30 minutes ago, HappyHappy said:

Great article by lowetide today here:

https://lowetide.ca/2019/09/10/autumn-leaves-2/

I always enjoy his breakdown of how he sees where our current players within the system are at in their development and how close or far off they may be to becoming NHLers (if ever).

Also... JP for this guy... Alex Volkov, plus a pick:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=205470

apparently Friedman (in latest podcast) mentions this is the "rumored" ask? as lowetide states near the end of the blog above.

Also also, Oiler rookies rematch Flamer rookies tonight in Calgary. Rodrigue gets the start in net.

Go mini-Oilers Go!!

Good link HH. Thanks.

Yeah, I'm really with Lowetide on letting it play out a bit before we start making lineups, and cutting guys, etc. We've got so many new and unknown pieces that it's just not possible to figure out how it's going to shake out.

I'm hopeful to see if something can catch fire. I'm not expecting it, but I'm sure hoping for it.

getting their butts handed to them already.... yikes.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

Looking at the Oilers Hfboards comments, you'd think the Oilers season is already done on the basis of two meaningless games played between rusty rookies:

3 hours ago, SuperDave17 said:

Looking at the Oilers Hfboards comments, you'd think the Oilers season is already done on the basis of two meaningless games played between rusty rookies:

I don't get why they think it matters so much. We've traditionally done relatively well at the YoungStars tournament in the past, yet been next to garbage during the season. 

8 hours ago, SuperDave17 said:

Haha, great clip, love Paxton in this epic flick. Weird Science and his role here (Aliens) are two of my favorite characters he has played, always enjoy his movies/roles.👍

Indeed the sky has fallen! Two 1 goal losses (-empty netter) in the rookie games!!:P Goaltenders (on both sides) stole the show for me in the two games, though I will admit overall the Flamers rookie skaters looked to be the better of the two teams, much more "cohesive" like Foggy mentioned, I totally agree. Back to the goaltending, I was pretty pleased with all three Oiler performances we seen in these games. Would have liked to see Rodrigue stop that 1st shot but the 2nd goal can't really blame him for, after that he was solid. 

Moving on, should see some a bunch of cuts soon as rookie camp comes to a close.

Next stop, Main Camp! We are getting there folks!!:)

Edited by HappyHappy

image.png

Interview with KH here. Ol Kenny has a way of calming my nerves, he's clearly been around the block a few times and his veteran leadership brings more hope to my hope. A couple eggs in there but he never let's on too much. To Bouch, or not to Bouch, that seems to be the question, one of the bigger ones anyway. I know a lot of peeps think he breaks camp and starts on the opening line-up but my bet is he starts in the Bake with a mid-season call-up resulting in a permanent stay with the big club. V vill C.

image.png

2 hours ago, HappyHappy said:

Interview with KH here. Ol Kenny has a way of calming my nerves, he's clearly been around the block a few times and his veteran leadership brings more hope to my hope. A couple eggs in there but he never let's on too much. To Bouch, or not to Bouch, that seems to be the question, one of the bigger ones anyway. I know a lot of peeps think he breaks camp and starts on the opening line-up but my bet is he starts in the Bake with a mid-season call-up resulting in a permanent stay with the big club. V vill C.

I agree Hap, Bouch may very well start in the AHL this season. I don't see us with the defense to win a cup this year unless every defenseman takes big steps forward in development, so the main thing to do is make sure Bouchard is ready for his NHL career to start properly. I'm hoping Bear is the guy that impresses having learned his mistake of coming to camp out of shape last season. I'm hoping this year he comes in and earns a spot because I remember he had a nice offensive game. Also that would be a late round pick making it and we could use a story like that in the Oilers line up. 

Edited by mrtea
specifying which season.

I don't know mrtea , it sounds like Bouchard will be seeing plenty of ice time in the pre season . If Bear doesn't see the ice he will end up in Bakersfield waiting for a call up .

Personally I hope they both start the season in the bake .

Joel Persson is the guy with the one way contract . One of Pete's gambles . I hope he was right about this guy . 🤞 That's supposed to be crossed fingers , not the middle finger .