The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
HappyHappy

2019/2020 Training Camp

1 minute ago, DeutchOil said:

Regulars very often are invisible in Camp, knowing they have guaranteed spots.  That said, if was nice to see both Nuge and Neal trying to work on their chemistry rather than floating like some others.

Peg didn't ice a very strong lineup, but a good start by the hopeful Oilers blueliners.   All looked comfortable, for the most part (Bouchard got more comfortable as the game wore on - to be expected given his age).

That goal by Nuge looked like his muscle memory was in tact . Didn't even have to think , it all happened so quickly ,  forehand , backfand & in the net .

Good game boys!

Missed the first but caught the rest... we looked good afaic.

Goaltending obviously solid with the S.O.

Defense was solid also, I didn't see any grade A chances given to the Jets, at least in the two periods I watched. Excited for this Klef/Pers pairing, this Persson fella seems to be adjusting fine to the smaller ice, looking forward to seeing more of him. Thought Benning looked pretty good too, as well as Lags and Bouch.

On offence it was nice to see Neal get the first goal of the pre-season for us, should be a confidence booster for him, he looked fine to my eye out there. Him and Nuge looked as though they've been playing together for awhile. Beauty goal by RNH! Sheahan's line looked ok-good and had some looks.

Overall a good performance. So pumped hockey is back (be it pre-season ha)!! I even enjoyed Jack and Bob calling the game!

GO OILERS GO!!

:):)

Edited by HappyHappy
smaller ice oops

image.png

28 minutes ago, billpayor said:

Lagesson &  Bouchard were partners . Lags was definitely more noticeable . You would have to expect Nuge & Neal to dominate in pre season .

Persson & Klefbom looked good together . All the Swedish defensemen looked good . 

All true points. Although, it's nice to see Neal and Nuge putting effort into working well together to build chemistry.

I'm very impressed with the job our new coaching staff is doing pushing team structure working as a five man unit both ways ! Hopefully we can maintain this team headspace and not revert back like we did to Hitch. 

That was one dull game. Skinner looked good, Wells made a nice glove save but the Jets iced a horrendous lineup. Nuge and Neal need to be kept together this year, McD and Draisaitl should shine again.

2 hours ago, Sharptooth1 said:

I’m blacked out. The stream from the site is horrible lol. I would watch it on a 1970,s black and white at this point though. Dying for hockey. 

Is the building pretty full?

I’d say 2/3 full

2 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Nope me either - I was thinking this before the season started. He can't skate worth a darn, but he knows where to go in the offensive zone and he can shoot. Most of the hockey insiders are saying that 7 goal year is not a sign of things to come. By that I mean he's far from washed up and last season was just a culmination of bad things that happened to him off season and early in the reg season. I also think he fits this team perfectly - we need a shooting winger and he's it (to complement Draisaitl who's really a center). 

I think Lucic will have a bit of a turn around year too. He won't be a 20 goal scorer, don't get me wrong, but I could see him getting 12 to 15 goals and 35 to 40 points in Calgary - which is double what he would have done here. I'm still flabbergasted buy this trade. :) 

I always liked Lucic, he was great for the Bruins but it’s been downhill ever since. We needed 50 point years from him and only got one, I think Neal hits 50 this year. I’d wish Lucic well but he’s a Flame. 😎

10 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Ugh no Telly not based 'one play'. Based on how he he's 19, and has very limited pro experience. He needs to learn the defensive side and here I agree with Deutch - the NHL is NOT a developmental league. If that's what you want, why have a farm team? What is it's purpose? 

All true but it was after one play you wanted him sent down. What other way to take it?

9 hours ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Telly, I think perhaps I misunderstood your meaning.   I thought you were indicating that if Kass and Chiasson did not produce and were moved down that we had more legit Oilers players to form 3 scoring lines.   I guess you were actually referring to Zack and Alex as the "legit players".

Personally I am still not totally convinced re either player, and particularly Chiasson who prior to last season had not broken the 13 goal NHL barrier.   Even Kass who I think scored 15 had his best year ever in the NHL.

If we also take into account that Alex I think scored 8 times in the last 49 games, again not what I would call "legit NHL scorer",  for one year sure, but can he repeat?

We have four guys who are "legit NHL scorers", and we know who they are......after that, it is a crap shoot.   Some, all or none of the others may come good, we shall have to wait and see.

Why people are accused of being negative by simply offering another viewpoint is best for you to explain.   What happens is going to happen regardless of what is written on a message board such as this one. 

I will be cheering on Alex and Zack for sure, and if they can score 37 between them again, it will certainly help the four main hopefuls to lift this team up the standings.

See, a bit of positivity there 😎

👍

9 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

That was one dull game. Skinner looked good, Wells made a nice glove save but the Jets iced a horrendous lineup. Nuge and Neal need to be kept together this year, McD and Draisaitl should shine again.

You think we might actually have two lines this year? 

ODIE7_zps90ycfzl1.PNG

My take from last night's preseason game and I know it is pre season:

- Skinner - Needs to work on rebound control but not bad at all

- Nuge/Neal - dominated, Gagner looked good too

- Chiasson - looked ok out there, I love that he shoots first

- Benson- Need more from him

- Klefbom/Perrsson - I really liked what I saw here, I really hope Klef can stay healthy this year

- Cave/Sheahan - I would not be uncomfortable if these were our two bottom six centers Cave looks quicker this year

Been kind of lurking on the Flames board and they seem to think that Lucic's brutal skating was blown out of proportion, I think they need to remember that if he looks "ok" against some preseason scrubs he is gonna look real bad come real games. Neal looked like a dominant scorer out there which is what I would expect out of veteran NHLers,

if that deal gives us two solid top lines we win big time.

ODIE7_zps90ycfzl1.PNG

3 minutes ago, Oil_Dude said:

I don't think we have used 4 lines in a decade.

They were there in body , but not mind .

Edited by billpayor

1 hour ago, Oil_Dude said:

You think we might actually have two lines this year? 

Barring injury to any of those 4, I think so. I’m not sold on Haas and Nygård, one game sure, but they were awful last night. Benson was invisible too which doesn’t bode well.

1 minute ago, Messrules11 said:

Barring injury to any of those 4, I think so. I’m not sold on Haas and Nygård, one game sure, but they were awful last night. Benson was invisible too which doesn’t bode well.

An injury to those four? If McD goes down we are done.

ODIE7_zps90ycfzl1.PNG

Lines for tonight:

Jurco - Marody - Currie
Granlund - Cave - P. Russell
Benson - McLeod - Hebig
Gambardella - Malone - Peluso

Nurse - Larsson
Samorukov - Bouchard
Manning - Bear

Starrett
Wells

----------------------------------------------------