The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Fogolin2

How many WINS will the Oilers get this season?

I don't care who scores them. We need to win more games.

Unlikely that we lose 2 top four dmen on the same night. Unlikely that our goaltending is as bad as last year.

I've got us on 42 wins.

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

For this prediction I want to see how the team lines up first. Our defense will have a major effect on goaltending and the team in general. It could be good or it could be bad....again.

4 hours ago, mrtea said:

For this prediction I want to see how the team lines up first. Our defense will have a major effect on goaltending and the team in general. It could be good or it could be bad....again.

Yep - goaltending is the key for me. If Kos can be the beast he was to start the year last year all year - then 42 to 46 wins I think is realistic. However, if he struggles, and I didn't like Smith in Calgary like him even less here) then we'll be lucky to get 35 wins

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

Yep - goaltending is the key for me. If Kos can be the beast he was to start the year last year all year - then 42 to 46 wins I think is realistic. However, if he struggles, and I didn't like Smith in Calgary like him even less here) then we'll be lucky to get 35 wins

I'm prepared to predict that Kos is exactly what he was last year, brilliant a few times, lousy a few times, less than good enough the majority of the time (If i'm wrong, so be it).  That will force Smith to play more than 40 games.  If Smith plays more than 50, he also struggles with consistency.  At 45-50 games for Smith, the Oilers improve to 88 points, then making the playoffs will be about how high the cut off is or how low.

How much the tandem struggles behind a defence that is FULL of question marks?   That will depend entirely on the goaltenders.  Not the defence.  

As you say Goaltending will be the key, but I think that is more predictable than most make it out to be.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

12 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

I'm prepared to predict that Kos is exactly what he was last year, brilliant a few times, lousy a few times, less than good enough the majority of the time (If i'm wrong, so be it).  That will force Smith to play more than 40 games.  If Smith plays more than 50, he also struggles with consistency.  At 45-50 games for Smith, the Oilers improve to 88 points, then making the playoffs will be about how high the cut off is or how low.

How much the tandem struggles behind a defence that is FULL of question marks?   That will depend entirely on the goaltenders.  Not the defence.  

As you say Goaltending will be the key, but I think that is more predictable than most make it out to be.

But I don't think Smith will be in 40 or 50 games. Its what chastised the Flames for when they signed him. He can't stay healthy - at least not over the last few years (though he did for the most part his first year in Calgary). I'd actually be (pleasantly) surprised if he makes it out of TC healthy. I'm fully expecting him to hurt his 'groin' in TC and have that be a chronic issue all season long. So that's why I think Kos has to be a beast. I agree with you though Deutch, I think we what got last year is what we'll see this year, he'll be brilliant for stretches and other stretches he'll be terrible. 

3 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

But I don't think Smith will be in 40 or 50 games. Its what chastised the Flames for when they signed him. He can't stay healthy - at least not over the last few years (though he did for the most part his first year in Calgary). I'd actually be (pleasantly) surprised if he makes it out of TC healthy. I'm fully expecting him to hurt his 'groin' in TC and have that be a chronic issue all season long. So that's why I think Kos has to be a beast. I agree with you though Deutch, I think we what got last year is what we'll see this year, he'll be brilliant for stretches and other stretches he'll be terrible. 

Smith is Smith

Kos is Kos

That's what makes it more predictable than most make it out to be.

On the Off chance that either is MORE than they have been, the OIlers succeed to the level that either or both exceed expectations. 

The team itself is BETTER, and will improve, unless one or the other of their keepers underperform expectations (I don't think they will underperform).

For me .. 88 points seems a reasonable prediction.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

19 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

Smith is Smith

Kos is Kos

That's what makes it more predictable than most make it out to be.

On the Off chance that either is MORE than they have been, the OIlers succeed to the level that either or both exceed expectations. 

The team itself is BETTER, and will improve, unless one or the other of their keepers underperform expectations (I don't think they will underperform).

For me .. 88 points seems a reasonable prediction.

When Smith gets hurt, and he will, I hope one of our AHL guys grab that net and seize it as their own. That is our biggest chance for playoffs IMO.

Edited by Yuke

13 minutes ago, Yuke said:

When Smith gets hurt, and he will, I hope one of our AHL guys grab that net and seize it as their own. That is our biggest chance for playoffs IMO.

Could Be.

It will be an interesting season.  Fun to watch.  Hopefully that lasts beyond the first 20-30 games this year. (I think it will ... fingers crossed).

I like 93 points / 43 wins.....this means that the team has turned the corner (not just small marginal gains) and ready to head for the long-term.  The longer term includes promising prospects, increased cap space and a GM that has an IQ.

Last year was such a low....basically a season of lame-duck coaching.....a walking-dead GM.....and no depth / reserves for the bench. 

If we can't improve by 20% over last year - given the changes to date and still coming -  maybe it's time to consider renting out Rogers Place.

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

1 minute ago, bronco73 said:

82 wins but some of them will be OT wins

Now that is optimism!

I hope your not out after the 1st game.:th_scared:

haha I will say honestly 45 wins... Come on Oil don't let me down

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

3 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

That's also optimistic, but I like it. Throw in a few of OT losses and you've got anywhere from 93-97 points and voila we're in the playoffs! 

Heck, I was going to wait but you inspired me Bronco. I'm going to go with 47 wins and 5 OT losses for 99 points.

20 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

the over/under sets itself at 43.5

I've got the under. You're the over.

Playoff avatar, again?

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

22 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

the over/under sets itself at 43.5

I've got the under. You're the over.

Playoff avatar, again?

I still haven't gotten over the shirtless Jordan seranading me.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

I'd like to see Smith & Koslinen with 21 wins a piece . Which may not happen . But I'll go with that anyway . What the heck .

Then of course there will be plenty of overtime losses , they had 9 last season , so i'll go with that number for this season . Total that up and that's 93 points on the season . Good Lord !! Look at that , they might even be in the playoffs .

90 points would be terrific IMO .