The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
bronco73

Welcome to the Oilers Riley Sheahan

Haven't really seen much of this guy's play, but supposedly a defensive guy who can win faceoffs and seems to get played a lot with whatever team he's with. Must be something solid there. One of Holland's old picks too. Seems like a good deal at 1yr. Will he be the 3rd line C? Anybody actually watched this guy play?

9 minutes ago, GrooveyAsh said:

Haven't really seen much of this guy's play, but supposedly a defensive guy who can win faceoffs and seems to get played a lot with whatever team he's with. Must be something solid there. One of Holland's old picks too. Seems like a good deal at 1yr. Will he be the 3rd line C? Anybody actually watched this guy play?

He can do the job.

I kinda remember that Sheahan had some kind of Sherwood Park connection, but I can't figure out what it was. Can anyone confirm or deny?

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Read yesterday that Brodziak will be put in the LTIR for the rest of his contract so now we know where we got the money / needed t sign him. Big upgrade IMO as Brodziak has fallen off a cliff. Sheahen is much better in the faceoff circle and is a much better option as a defensive center. He won't get many points but should still double what Brodziak got. I like what KH is doing - we still won't be a playoff contender though :(

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

Read yesterday that Brodziak will be put in the LTIR for the rest of his contract so now we know where we got the money / needed t sign him. Big upgrade IMO as Brodziak has fallen off a cliff. Sheahen is much better in the faceoff circle and is a much better option as a defensive center. He won't get many points but should still double what Brodziak got. I like what KH is doing - we still won't be a playoff contender though :(

Sheahan is solid, I like him a lot and he could be the anchor for a 3rd/4th line. I am really curious how this forward overhaul is going to work.

ODIE7_zps90ycfzl1.PNG

3 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

I was thinking 900K seemed a bit steep for this guy, until I read your post.

Makes sense.  And then, also a good get by Holland.  We all knew Brodziak, and his contract, were a bit of a boat anchor.  He was unlikely to make the team, and his contract wasn't fully capable of being buried in the AHL.  LTIR, and the resultant need to apply for Cap Relief that only begins after the Cap Compliance deadline isn't the perfect solution, but it is better than the alternative.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

1 minute ago, DeutchOil said:

I was thinking 900K seemed a bit steep for this guy, until I read your post.

Makes sense.  And then, also a good get by Holland.  We all knew Brodziak, and his contract, were a bit of a boat anchor.  He was unlikely to make the team, and his contract wasn't fully capable of being buried in the AHL.  LTIR, and the resultant need to apply for Cap Relief that only begins after the Cap Compliance deadline isn't the perfect solution, but it is better than the alternative.

Not sure if 900k would be considered steep for him. His last contract was 2.1M and his previous contract was 2.075M.

Just now, BL4NKF4CE said:

Not sure if 900k would be considered steep for him. His last contract was 2.1M and his previous contract was 2.075M.

I was talking more from the perspective of the OIlers, and their current Cap position (esp. if Brodziak was still on the books).  

Sheahan certainly wasn't being offered more than that from anybody else at this point.  One year 900K is the best offer he has been given.  And he took it.  Sept 20th, he probably signs a 675K PTO, if he still hadn't found a team by that point.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

3 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

I was talking more from the perspective of the OIlers, and their current Cap position (esp. if Brodziak was still on the books).  

Sheahan certainly wasn't being offered more than that from anybody else at this point.  One year 900K is the best offer he has been given.  And he took it.  Sept 20th, he probably signs a 675K PTO, if he still hadn't found a team by that point.

I'm still hoping that one of Jones , or Lagesson , or both ,  push Russell out the door . 

900K for Sheahan is reasonable . The minimum is 700K . If you want to quibble over 200K go ahead .

37 minutes ago, billpayor said:

I'm still hoping that one of Jones , or Lagesson , or both ,  push Russell out the door . 

900K for Sheahan is reasonable . The minimum is 700K . If you want to quibble over 200K go ahead .

900K for Sheahan would be too much if Brodziak's 1.15 stays on the books and you only have 1.5M of Cap space and a few bonuses that you will likely have to pay out.

It's about the available space for me .... not the amount for the player.

(I forgot the league minimum went up .... if you want to quibble over 25K go ahead).

33 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

900K for Sheahan would be too much if Brodziak's 1.15 stays on the books and you only have 1.5M of Cap space and a few bonuses that you will likely have to pay out.

It's about the available space for me .... not the amount for the player.

(I forgot the league minimum went up .... if you want to quibble over 25K go ahead).

They made the signing knowing that Brodziak would be off the books , no need to quibble . Isn't that a fun word ? 😀

1 minute ago, billpayor said:

They made the signing knowing that Brodziak would be off the books , no need to quibble . Isn't that a fun word ? 😀

My original post made it clear that my FIRST thought on the contract was steeped around not knowing about Brodziak.  Then I went on to say that given the Brodziak LTIR situation, that I thought the contract was good.

I agree, there was no need for a quibble.  It is a fun word.  😀

2 hours ago, billpayor said:

I heard that for those guys this is their last year - next year they won't be waiver eligible - well I mean they need to clear waivers if sent down. So for sure if not this year then next year Russell will be gone to make room for one (or both) of them. But with Sekera bought out there is a spot there on the left side waiting for one of them (if we move Russell to the right again and though TIppett said he wouldn't do that he may not have a choice if the team doesn't want to rush Bouchard in and if Bear isn't ready). 

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

I heard that for those guys this is their last year - next year they won't be waiver eligible - well I mean they need to clear waivers if sent down. So for sure if not this year then next year Russell will be gone to make room for one (or both) of them. But with Sekera bought out there is a spot there on the left side waiting for one of them (if we move Russell to the right again and though TIppett said he wouldn't do that he may not have a choice if the team doesn't want to rush Bouchard in and if Bear isn't ready). 

By virtue of all of this, the defence is going to (more than likely) have a very up and down, topsy turvy season.  Some Good, Some Bad.  Some Great.  Some Yikes.  Anything outside of that (consistently terrible or consistently great) is very unlikely.

8 hours ago, billpayor said:

Link please that Brodziak is off the books

Edited by Yuke

10 minutes ago, Yuke said:

Link please that Brodziak is off the books

Capfriendly.com has Brodziak on LTIR. LTIR doesn't count against the cap.

5 hours ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

Capfriendly.com has Brodziak on LTIR. LTIR doesn't count against the cap.

That is what I thought until I read this,

That is a good point by Gregor because, as of now, this is terrible for the Oilers cap - they can no longer assign him to the AHL and get a $1.075M cap savings and, of course, LTIR does not relieve the team of the cap hit - in certain circumstances, it provides an LTIR relief cushion which would allow the team to go over the cap, however, unless something material happens, the Oilers aren't near close enough to the cap in order to get a cushion.

As of right now, this simply creates a dead cap hit the Oilers have on the books.

3 hours ago, Yuke said:

That is a good point by Gregor because, as of now, this is terrible for the Oilers cap - they can no longer assign him to the AHL and get a $1.075M cap savings and, of course, LTIR does not relieve the team of the cap hit - in certain circumstances, it provides an LTIR relief cushion which would allow the team to go over the cap, however, unless something material happens, the Oilers aren't near close enough to the cap in order to get a cushion.

As of right now, this simply creates a dead cap hit the Oilers have on the books.

Oh well either way Brodz is on LTIR (back injury I believe) and we needed a 3C anyway.

13 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

Quibble!!

Quibble Indeed.

This season is SOOOOOooooooooo slow coming.

Come On Time ...... MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Yuke said:

I forgot about the bit about needing to be at or near the cap to apply for Cap Relief.

Oh well.  If Smith hits his bonuses or the Oilers need to acquire someone who put them slightly over the cap, they have the ability to apply for the cap relief at that time.

Not perfect .... but it does enable the club to go over the cap by a little bit if they need to. .... and gives them the ability to have a legitimate 3C/4C that isn't Brodziak.

1 hour ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

Oh well either way Brodz is on LTIR (back injury I believe) and we needed a 3C anyway.

Exactly, this is a win / win. We needed a good fit for the 3rd line center position and we got a good penalty killer to boot and as the season progresses if we need to make a trade we will have a little wiggle room to go over the cap without penalty.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mrtea said:

Exactly, this is a win / win. We needed a good fit for the 3rd line center position and we got a good penalty killer to boot and as the season progresses if we need to make a trade we will have a little wiggle room to go over the cap without penalty.

This. 👍

2/3 the offense of Ryan Strome with 1/3 of the cap hit,  and PK ability.  Not complaining.

Reminds me how bad that Strome trade was.  No use dwelling.

fantyleaguecupbgnocchi_zpsd26307cf.png

Credits to UnrefinedCrude for the signature.  Big thanks!

31 minutes ago, nocchi said:

2/3 the offense of Ryan Strome with 1/3 of the cap hit,  and PK ability.  Not complaining.

Reminds me how bad that Strome trade was.  No use dwelling.

Onward.

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

15 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

Onward.

Upward.

Quabble.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!