The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
daffy_duck

Future of the Flames

Sam Bennett is day-to-day with an upper body injury.

In four games this season, the 19-year-old Bennett has one assist and a plus-1 rating while averaging 14:31 of ice time.

Bennet needs to stay healthy. He's had a lot of trouble with injuries early on.

he's a small dude and he plays tough. He might get himself beat up too much, before he's physically strong enough to play that game at the NHL level. Something to watch anyway

Well Fogs this is what happens when you rush players into the NHL before they are physically ready right?

I think he is injury prone.

Sam Bennett is day-to-day with an upper body injury.

In four games this season, the 19-year-old Bennett has one assist and a plus-1 rating while averaging 14:31 of ice time.

Bennet needs to stay healthy. He's had a lot of trouble with injuries early on.
he's a small dude and he plays tough. He might get himself beat up too much, before he's physically strong enough to play that game at the NHL level. Something to watch anyway
Well Fogs this is what happens when you rush players into the NHL before they are physically ready right?

Exactly!  Same reasons why Nuge and Hall suffered shoulder injuries early on....They were expected to play a physical game by the former coaches, and for the most part they did, probably because they wanted to stay on the team..I remember Nuge, with his 175 pound frame laying hits. He even made Brendan Morrow go flying like a rag doll, and he eventually suffered a shoulder injury because of it....That's why I believe McDavid "should not" be expected to play a "hitting" game; he shouldn't be going out of his way to hit people.   For atleast for a couple years anyway, not until he is mature more physically. He just needs to get in the way and use his stick for now...Or else, the shoulder injuries will happen to him too just like Hall and Nuge.

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

I thought Nuge's shoulder injury was from losing an edge and falling awkwardly into the boards.

Hall's shoulder issues, did they not predate his draft?

McDavid is no fool, I don't see him throwing hits for the sake of it, but nothing wrong with doing it when its the right move.

Joe Colborne (5 games) and Sam Bennett (1 game) are both returning from injury to play Washington tonight.

Markus Granlund has been returned to Stockton of the AHL.

Calgary is falling apart.

And shiny new toy Hamilton is doing his best to lead the way

He's championing the poor play for sure, at this point I think maybe Boston new something.

Gotta admit that, before the season started, I expected the Flames to get into the playoffs (biting, scratching, into the last spot). Well, as many folks said then, last season was a fluke for them and I'm beginning to have doubts about their chances.

A lot has been said about their defensive issues this year, but I'm also seeing lack of offensive production. Not a good situation but it's early enough in the season to turn things around.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out for them...definitely evens up the odds a bit more for the BofA.

had a hard time figuring if it was Washington being really good or the Flames being really bad...

I know the Flames tending was pretty bad. Defense not much better. I'm surprised to see it

Tsk tsk Bob.

I understand Hartley's need to figure out who's staying and who's going between Rambo and Hiller but he has managed to make a big mess of it all.

Ortio, whom according to fans is the Flames #1 down the road has not played a game yet. That's on the coach.

Meanwhile Hartley is juggling the other two to see which one is the preferred back up as they wait to bring Ortio aboard.

Having 3 goalies on the roster is not good This should have been figured out in preseason imo. Glad the Oil never made this mistake.

So what's happening?..

Ortio is drooling(like flames fans) for his opportunity in net, and rightfully so. But instead he sits and watches the gongshow from the press box.

Hiller and Rambo are playing uninspired hockey knowing they are not the #1 goalie in the master plan. Kinda demotivating if you ask me. And to make matters worse for the goalies, the defense in front of them is struggling immensely.

The whole goalie situation may be affecting the team in a negative way.

That's what I make of it all. Maybe I'm wrong but I see a giant mess for Calgary right now. Their fans on message boards are already discussing Matthews bwahaha! That's not happening. But it's funny (;

Flames just waved Ramo. There are a couple of teams unhappy with their goaltending right now... I wonder if he gets claimed. I honestly don't hink he will but you never know

As of today...would any Oiler fan trade Hamilton for Reinhart.? Even straight up, never mind being locked in to Hamiltons contract for eternity..Yipes.!!

We all know the Flames are not as bad as they have been playing lately. The things do have a tendency to even up. The goaltending situation was a mess so waiving one (not sure how they decided which one) should help. The mojo is gone and they have a tough couple of games ahead in October (similar to Oilers).

It looks a lot like 2014-15 Avalanche.     

Flames might be Stamkos shopping?

that is the rumour.  For what it would cost, it would be a big mistake.  Or not.  Whatever.

As of today...would any Oiler fan trade Hamilton for Reinhart.? Even straight up, never mind being locked in to Hamiltons contract for eternity..Yipes.!!

yeah.  I would make that trade.  Hamilton's got superstar potential.  Hedman didn't look much different than Hamilton at a similar stage in their careers.  Tampa struggled for years waiting for Hedman to put it together.

that is the rumour.  For what it would cost, it would be a big mistake.  Or not.  Whatever.

yeah.  I would make that trade.  Hamilton's got superstar potential.  Hedman didn't look much different than Hamilton at a similar stage in their careers.  Tampa struggled for years waiting for Hedman to put it together.

Apparently the word is a package with Bennet, possibly including Hudler. Depending on what else is in that package it would really worry me to make that trade and risk losing him in a few months when his contract runs out

that is the rumour.  For what it would cost, it would be a big mistake.  Or not.  Whatever.yeah.  I would make that trade.  Hamilton's got superstar potential.  Hedman didn't look much different than Hamilton at a similar stage in their careers.  Tampa struggled for years waiting for Hedman to put it together.
Apparently the word is a package with Bennet, possibly including Hudler. Depending on what else is in that package it would really worry me to make that trade and risk losing him in a few months when his contract runs out

This is interesting stuff.

On the Flames …

• Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun: Trade talk involving Dennis Wideman will continue, which could potentially free up some money for them to re-sign defenseman Kris Russell.
  • With Jiri Hudler’s potential price tag of $7 million likely will mean he won’t be back with the Flames, so speculation will follow him as well. If the Flames continue to struggle, you can bet that Hudler will be traded.
  • An ” inordinate number of scouts” have been at Flames games lately.
  • Chris Nichols of Today’s Slapshot: Bob McKenzie on TSN 1050 on the Flames, Lightning, and Steven Stamkos.

“It’s my understanding – there’s no question that Brad Treliving is trying to shake the Flames up. And there’s no question that he’s talked to a number of teams and I don’t doubt for a moment that he’s spoken to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

“But as best I can tell, and I certainly stand to be corrected if I’m wrong, I don’t think the Flames and Tampa are talking about Stamkos right now.“

….

“It wouldn’t surprise me if Brad Treliving is trying to find that big deal to shake things up. I don’t think that Monahan or Gaudreau are getting traded anytime soon, but when you’ve got young players like that and you’ve got a wealth of them – Sam Bennett is another one – well, maybe there is a deal there for somebody for one of those younger players. And I’m not suggesting Gaudreau by any stretch, or even – I’d be shocked at Monahan because there’s such maturity to his game. But I wonder, at some point, could Sam Bennett be available. I guess It really depends.

“Again, I don’t believe the Calgary Flames are trying to get rid of Sam Bennett. They’re not shopping him. But I believe the Calgary Flames are working the phones and seeing what they’ve got. And I know that when teams call and ask for Gaudreau or Monahan, they’re likely to get a,  ‘(No,) not going to happen.’ Whereas with some of those other players on the team, they might get a, ‘Well, make us an offer. Knock our socks off and we’ll see where we’re at.’ “

After nine long months, Ladislav Smid will get back into the lineup.

The Flames defenceman had been on the shelf since Jan. 19, recovering from February neck surgery on a herniated disk.

"Finally it’s here," he grinned. "I've put in a lot of work over the summer. A lot of bag skating obviously and a lot of training. Finally it’s here, so there’s a lot of excitement."

The surgery was the result of a high hit from then-Pittsburgh Penguins defenceman Simon Despres.

The rest of the article: http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=784466

It's really nice to see Smid back playing hockey. He was a warrior for us during some dark times. While I could never cheer for Calgary I will always cheer for Smid.

They finally pulled off a trademark miraculous come back. Good game by Gio. He needed to step up and he did.

Flames fans have had a real slap in the face of reality so far regardless.

I heard from a friend who is a big Flamers fan that Smid (I call him Schmeegle) really helped steady Hamilton's game against Detroit and they looked good.

Good to hear Schmeegle is back. As for Hamilton, Flames need him to play a big role, and at 5mil a yr er whatever, I'm sure he won't be on that pairing long one would think?

I guess me and other people skeptical about the Flames weren't just Oilers homers.  

The reasons to doubt the Flames and Hamilton were sound.  I still feel both the Flames and Hamilton will be good in time though.  Like with Colorado, it will take time and evolution to fix the Flames' problems.  Like Hedman, Hamilton will take a lot of time to learn how to use that big frame as a benefit and limit the disadvantages of having that size.

Edited by daffy_duck

I think it's safe to say that up until this point Hamilton has been a train wreck.  There is a ton of upside to him though, and when he fits in and catches on to their systems we should see the awakening of the sleeping giant.

8 Games played

1 goal, 0 assists, 1 ppp

10 PIM

7 HITS

14 Blocks

12 shots

.083 shooting %

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/5370/

Loving the trade. Hehe. Hockey is a strange game sometimes. Flames D was phenomenal last yr without Gio and Hamilton. And look at them now. I don't doubt that they will turn things around and I know Dougie is new and Gio was injured but good grief. Flames got some serious problems it seems. Yet only 2 pts behind us. Granted, like the Oil, all these little injuries aren't helping them out.

Yes Bronco Flamer fans around me are pretty quiet and some starting to lose hope already for the season lol. I believe my one friend was mocking early in the season that Johnny Hockey had more goals then the entire Oil squad. Haven't heard from him lately (;

Edited by HappyHappy