The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
daffy_duck

Future of the Flames

The best defense in the league is averaging 4.6 Goals against per game.

just out of curiosity, are you the same wehaveacar from the Flames forum?
there's a wehaveacar on calgarys website?

I thought I had a rare enough name name but I guess not

The best defense in the league is averaging 4.6 Goals against per game.

just out of curiosity, are you the same wehaveacar from the Flames forum?

there's a wehaveacar on calgarys website?

I thought I had a rare enough name name but I guess not

yup they do lol....

Untitled.png

Johnny hockey, Johnny cockey, call him what you want, his hands and speed are impressive, you cannot tell me if he played for the Oil you would bash him, now to change the future of the flames subject.

They are still not as bad as the start looks like, but need more trades.

I would trade Stajan, Jones, Raymond and Bollig to start.

possibly Wideman too.

Calgary lacks I think in goaltending, and heart this year, not sure where that went comparing to last year.

No confidence at all, whereas the Oil are starting to regain confidence after a decade or more and they are going places give them 4 years and they will be a force to be reckoned with, yes, mark my words, 4 years will be a helluva team.

I don't know if you read what I said, but that kid impresses the heck out of me. I even tried to not like him but I can't, he's just too skilled, I have to like him lol.

I tease his name because he has arrogance about him... but that's a good thing IMO. You need arrogance and self confidence to succeed at this level.

ARROGANCE. : an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions - 

Arrogance definition, offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.

I don't believe he's arrogant, self confident yes.

ARROGANCE. : an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions - [/size]

Arrogance definition, offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.[/size]

I don't believe he's arrogant, self confident yes.[/size]

While we are posting definitions:

nit·pick·ing

ˈnitˌpikiNG/

informal

adjective

adjective: nit-picking

looking for small or unimportant errors or faults, especially in order to criticize unnecessarily.

"a nitpicking legalistic exercise"

noun

noun: nit-picking

fussy fault-finding.

"nitpicking over tiny details"

;)

• Like 2

When it comes to the Flames, Monoham, Goudreau and Bennett are the best reasons to watch them. And Gio has "wow" moments too.

The goal tending and overall level of team play have been major problems. Not critical yet but........

ARROGANCE. : an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions - [/size]

Arrogance definition, offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.[/size]

nit·pick·ing

ˈnitˌpikiNG/

informal

adjective

looking for small or unimportant errors or faults, especially in order to criticize unnecessarily.

noun

fussy fault-finding.

;)

lol

ARROGANCE. : an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions - [/size]

Arrogance definition, offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.[/size]

nit·pick·ing

ˈnitˌpikiNG/

informal

adjective

noun

fussy fault-finding.

;)

lol like really LOL. I retract. You know I love you, ALL of you.

Johnny hockey, Johnny cockey, call him what you want, his hands and speed are impressive, you cannot tell me if he played for the Oil you would bash him, now to change the future of the flames subject.

possibly Wideman too.

Calgary lacks I think in goaltending, and heart this year, not sure where that went comparing to last year.

No confidence at all, whereas the Oil are starting to regain confidence after a decade or more and they are going places give them 4 years and they will be a force to be reckoned with, yes, mark my words, 4 years will be a helluva team.

Goaltending isn't their main issue, not even close.

It's funny that if you ask any Flames fan, they will tell you that the goaltending is their problem this year.

Realistically though, they aren't seeing the quality shots that their team is giving up this year. It's 2 on 1's, breakaways, loose or no coverage etc that is the reason for quality shots. Their "best D in the league" is letting them down big time this year, and their scorers are having a difficult time making up the slack

Edited by bronco73

It's funny that if you ask any Flames fan, they will tell you that the goaltending is their problem this year.

Realistically though, they aren't seeing the quality shots that their team is giving up this year. It's 2 on 1's, breakaways, loose or no coverage etc that is the reason for quality shots. Their "best D in the league" is letting them down big time this year, and their scorers are having a difficult time making up the slack

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone....

So I've noticed lately there is a real hate on for the oilers by flames fans lately. Haven't really seen that since the 90s. I don't really get it. I get the whole regional thing but does anyone really care about the flames? I honestly don't give calgary much thought really. I don't care enough to hate them. I hate thr canucks...fans. So nothing I love more than beating the canucks but calgary is just... meh. Whatever. Maybe because we've both been sucky teams for so long?

So I've noticed lately there is a real hate on for the oilers by flames fans lately. Haven't really seen that since the 90s. I don't really get it. I get the whole regional thing but does anyone really care about the flames? I honestly don't give calgary much thought really. I don't care enough to hate them. I hate thr canucks...fans. So nothing I love more than beating the canucks but calgary is just... meh. Whatever. Maybe because we've both been sucky teams for so long?

Their only joy for 10 years has been sticking a thumb in our eye. We ruined their "miracle" run by having one of our own. They were a bubble team, who couldn't win a playoff round until last year. They see the writing on the wall. They know how they have been for the last decade, so they dread the payback.

• Like 2

possibly Wideman too.

No it isn't. Goaltending has been below average but it is not #1 on the list. I agree. 

The whole team is out of sync. I really don't know how else to put it. Like everyone is on a different page. Close behind is the D which again is a shock because it was supposed to be improved but it looks like chaos. Top that off with a young core up front shouldering the scoring responsibilities and stumbling.

It is a real team wide issue. They are not syncing at all and they look awful. The games are not even close which to me is the most frustrating.

I can handle losses if they are good games but the Flames are simply getting stomped. We have some decent individual efforts game to game from players on an ad hoc basis but they are not consistent, no one is except for as I said Johnny and Sam B, which I think have been our best on the most consistent basis.

At a certain point you have to start looking to the coach and despite Hartley's great year last year. The team is so unstructured at this point that it is looking like a coaching issue. The team is looking like Jekyl and Hyde to me from last year...  

Edited by Flame111

possibly Wideman too.

No it isn't. Goaltending has been below average but it is not #1 on the list. I agree. 

The whole team is out of sync. I really don't know how else to put it. Like everyone is on a different page. Close behind is the D which again is a shock because it was supposed to be improved but it looks like chaos. Top that off with a young core up front shouldering the scoring responsibilities and stumbling.

It is a real team wide issue. They are not syncing at all and they look awful. The games are not even close which to me is the most frustrating.

I can handle losses if they are good games but the Flames are simply getting stomped. We have some decent individual efforts game to game from players on an ad hoc basis but they are not consistent, no one is except for as I said Johnny and Sam B, which I think have been our best on the most consistent basis.

At a certain point you have to start looking to the coach and despite Hartley's great year last year. The team is so unstructured at this point that it is looking like a coaching issue. The team is looking like Jekyl and Hyde to me from last year...  

I agree Flame 111, as above I never mentioned goaltending was the #1 problem with this team, but it still has a valid argument as they do have problems between the pipes.  That being said they are a Jekyl and Hyde I agree, but with a few trades here and there and a few wins later this team could still turn things around.  I believe in Hartley's coaching antics and wouldn't say quite yet anything about having coaching issues, a bit too early yet for even a discussion. I would say  I believe the #1 issue right now is with individuals who have a hard time showing up for the game ie: Monahan, (he is invisible), Raymond (can you say Waivers again), Backlund (inconsistent each night), Bollig, (4th line yes, but terrible), Hamilton (very weak start), I could go on.

Bottom line, they need to stop playing as individuals, playing too fancy, and get more shots to the net.

Just want to throw this out here. Value of a player is often clouded by the fan glasses. Which is one of the main reasons I have hung out here for years - there are some very knowledgable hockey fans here and if they can put the Calgary hate aside, I do highly value the views I read here. 

So here is the question. What do you think is fair market value for Gio at the deadline and just for kicks what do you think his value would have been without the contract he just signed... 

Just curious... 

Just want to throw this out here. Value of a player is often clouded by the fan glasses. Which is one of the main reasons I have hung out here for years - there are some very knowledgable hockey fans here and if they can put the Calgary hate aside, I do highly value the views I read here. 

So here is the question. What do you think is fair market value for Gio at the deadline and just for kicks what do you think his value would have been without the contract he just signed... 

Just curious... 

That's a tough one. His age makes him such a wild card. Every slump will beg the question "Is this the decline?" whether it is or not.

That said, as long as he isn't playing like dog-butt he'll be wanted at trade deadline. The actual return will vary based on what injuries look like in the league at the time. I think it's harder to guess at a value down the road in the league right now, money's weird, and so these trades have a much more situational value. 

Gio had a long lay off, teams will take that into consideration and give him time to find his wheels before casting a final verdict. The more he bounces back, the higher the value, and probably the less you guys will want to move him.

This is a question for a month and a half to two months down the road.

Edited by UnrefinedCrude

and with that the flames now have more points than we do

Why do you care? They are one loser point ahead. Neither team is in a playoff position. It's not like it's coming to the end of the season and we're in a fight for the last playoff spot. Were you honestly expecting playoffs this year? I was hoping oilers finished 18-20th in the league this year. The team has made great strides. They're in every game. Playing for 60 min. When they lose it's usually by a goal. Oilers are fun to watch again. I'm not even bothered by the loses because the effort is there. This year McLellan is putting his stamp on the team. This off season Chiarelli will be able to shred all of the horrible McTavish contracts and our young guys are showing they can do it. I really don't care about what Calgary is doing or any other team for that matter. This year is about what our team is doing. I'm glad the flames have some good exciting kids, it's gonna make games and the BOA better. Iggy and Kipper were great but let's face it, Sutter flames were boring as hell to watch. BOA was great back when Mcdonald McInnis Loob Otto Peplinski Roberts played. It'll be great hockey again with their kids vs ours.

Why do you care? They are one loser point ahead. Neither team is in a playoff position. It's not like it's coming to the end of the season and we're in a fight for the last playoff spot. Were you honestly expecting playoffs this year? I was hoping oilers finished 18-20th in the league this year. The team has made great strides. They're in every game. Playing for 60 min. When they lose it's usually by a goal. Oilers are fun to watch again. I'm not even bothered by the loses because the effort is there. This year McLellan is putting his stamp on the team. This off season Chiarelli will be able to shred all of the horrible McTavish contracts and our young guys are showing they can do it. I really don't care about what Calgary is doing or any other team for that matter. This year is about what our team is doing. I'm glad the flames have some good exciting kids, it's gonna make games and the BOA better. Iggy and Kipper were great but let's face it, Sutter flames were boring as hell to watch. BOA was great back when Mcdonald McInnis Loob Otto Peplinski Roberts played. It'll be great hockey again with their kids vs ours.

I care because it puts us behind another team in our division (now last) and conference (now 2nd last). I wasn't expecting playoffs but we lie 27th now, pts mean less than position thats why I care.

I care because it puts us behind another team in our division (now last) and conference (now 2nd last). I wasn't expecting playoffs but we lie 27th now, pts mean less than position thats why I care.
68 games to go for us. 67 for them. It's a long season we're not even a 1/4 of the way through. It's gonna be really long for you if you're score board watching already.

Our schedule to date has been more difficult in terms of opponents played, we will still at the very least be within striking distance of Calgary after another 15 games or so

Our schedule to date has been more difficult in terms of opponents played, we will still at the very least be within striking distance of Calgary after another 15 games or so

I sure hope so and if your right I hope Calgary is in a wildcard or playoff spot by then.

Luck & awesome hand eye coordination on Calgary's 4th goal.

Hamilton's slaphot rebounds off Fleury's chest straight back to Gaudreau at chest level, who chips it through the air to Monahan, who chips it through the air over Fleury's shoulder.

The badminton goal.

Calgary Flame's defense-man Dougie Hamilton will reach a milestone tonight with his 200th NHL regular season game.

The 22-year-old becomes just the 10th player from his 2011 NHL Draft class to reach the 200-game mark and he leads all blue-liners from that draft in goals (24), assists (64), and points (88).