The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
daffy_duck

Future of the Flames

Don't take me as a Flames fan with the following comment, far from it. But the last number of posts shouldn't be what this thread is about IMO. I follow it to see what our Provincial rivals are up to and how Flames fans see things going, not to read a p***ing contest about both teams. If it just devolves into trash talk, then close the thread because it's worthless. 

For me, I'd actually like to see both teams be much stronger, have a healthy rivalry and enjoy the games where they beat the crap out of each other for a couple points. 

• Like 1

The Oilers defence doesn't even exist. Oilers been bleeding goals against for 10 years now

did you come to this board for any reason other than to start a pissing match or would you like to talk about things?
Of course not. I didn't even start this,Messier said something laughable and I responded with a simple fact.
Saying a team with the 2nd worse goals against numbers has an overrated defence is laughable? The oilers have allowed 9 less goals in 2 more games. Only the Yotes have allowed more goals than the flames.
stop that with your silly "facts" and such

Let's be real here. Oilers haven't earned the right to talk any kind of smack period. If you guys want to talk stats, I can give you 10 years of losing stats that I'm sure your already all too familiar with. Oilers haven't been able to keep pucks out of their net for the last 10 years, it's why you've lost more games than you have won for the last decade. You can't even argue that. I'm not starting anything, it's apparent the truth really hurts you guys. We can go back and forth on this but I'll tell you right now you guys will lose everytime.

nobody here is trying to win anything or pretending the oilers are good or better. You're delusional.

Don't take me as a Flames fan with the following comment, far from it. But the last number of posts shouldn't be what this thread is about IMO. I follow it to see what our Provincial rivals are up to and how Flames fans see things going, not to read a p***ing contest about both teams. If it just devolves into trash talk, then close the thread because it's worthless.

For me, I'd actually like to see both teams be much stronger, have a healthy rivalry and enjoy the games where they beat the crap out of each other for a couple points.

Thank you Peter Tz I agree with you completely. Like I said we can go back and forth on this all day and it won't get us anywhere. I'm not trolling Oilers threads, last time I checked the topic of this thread was FUTURE OF THE FLAMES.

As for Hemer83 you are confused. I'm not delusional, you are simply in denial.

This is the WRONG place to try and find anything positive about the Flames...Love it..,the rivalry is alive and well..The most important thing is both hockey smart  fan bases like the direction their clubs are going and are behind their teams...Im actually finding a soft spot for the Flames because they are ALBERTA based..It has to do with the insane political landscape of our country..Its time for Stanley to make his way back to our province and stay for a long stretch..Itll help us maintain our "most popular province "status within Canada..

This is the WRONG place to try and find anything positive about the Flames...Love it..,the rivalry is alive and well..The most important thing is both hockey smart fan bases like the direction their clubs are going and are behind their teams...Im actually finding a soft spot for the Flames because they are ALBERTA based..It has to do with the insane political landscape of our country..Its time for Stanley to make his way back to our province and stay for a long stretch..Itll help us maintain our "most popular province "status within Canada..

Agreed as well. It would be great if the BOA rivalry is fully renewed, it's been years since we've been able to even call it a rivalry. It's healthy for both franchises and nothing brings Albertans closer than hatred between rival teams..it's weird to say but it's true.

The Oilers defence doesn't even exist. Oilers been bleeding goals against for 10 years now

did you come to this board for any reason other than to start a pissing match or would you like to talk about things?
Of course not. I didn't even start this,Messier said something laughable and I responded with a simple fact.
Saying a team with the 2nd worse goals against numbers has an overrated defence is laughable? The oilers have allowed 9 less goals in 2 more games. Only the Yotes have allowed more goals than the flames.

Let's be real here. Oilers haven't earned the right to talk any kind of smack period. If you guys want to talk stats, I can give you 10 years of losing stats that I'm sure your already all too familiar with. Oilers haven't been able to keep pucks out of their net for the last 10 years, it's why you've lost more games than you have won for the last decade. You can't even argue that. I'm not starting anything, it's apparent the truth really hurts you guys. We can go back and forth on this but I'll tell you right now you guys will lose everytime.

This thread is about the flames no? What do the oilers have to do with anything?

This thread is about the flames no? What do the oilers have to do with anything?

You're right, Oilers don't matter enough to be relevant for this topic.

Rickross:

I am a Flames fan as well.

BUT, whether you start it or not, you can't go on another team's MB and slam them without getting jumped.

It's just bad form here, let's all try to leave the trash talk in the Canuck's CDC MB, or any team's Hockey's Future MBs.

The Flames & Oilers team MBs have been an oasis of civility compared to most.

With respect,

Edited by 420since1974

Rickross:

I am a Flames fan as well.

BUT, whether you start it or not, you can't go on any another team's MB and slam them without getting jumped.

It's just bad form here, let's all try to leave the trash talk in the Canuck's CDC MB, or any team's Hockey's Future MBs.

The Flames & Oilers team MBs have been an oasis of civility compared to most.

With respect,

S'up 420?... and please note I respect anyone with 420 in there name. I'm with you, I'm not on here just trashing the Oilers, I don't even need to..they've suffered enough. I'm posting in a Future of the Flames thread. They don't have to like it. Personally I don't mind some healthy rivalry here and there, I'm not going to sugar coat it like I'm some Oilers fanatic because I'm not. I'm down to keep things civil but let's be honest. The reason the Oilers/Flames boards have been civil is because the Oilers haven't been relevant for years. Not being mean, just stating a fact.

With that said if you're a passionate Oilers fan bring it! We need to revive that competitive spirit. Again I'm not here to insult anyone, but if your saying something ridiculous in a Flames thread I have no problems calling you out. I hope Oilers fans will do the same.

I respect your right to your opinion, but as PeterTZ said:

"Don't take me as a Flames fan with the following comment, far from it. But the last number of posts shouldn't be what this thread is about IMO. I follow it to see what our Provincial rivals are up to and how Flames fans see things going, not to read a p***ing contest about both teams. If it just devolves into trash talk, then close the thread because it's worthless. 

For me, I'd actually like to see both teams be much stronger, have a healthy rivalry and enjoy the games where they beat the crap out of each other for a couple points. "

For at least the last year and a half, this thread has mainly provided news about the current and future Flames.

ie: "Hathaway playing well in training camp", "Bennett scored four goals tonight!" "Smid is out with an injury again", etc.

With a few exceptions, it has not been a trash talk thread between the two teams.

It might not be your cup of tea, but I enjoy it as it is.

I respect your right to your opinion, but as PeterTZ said:

"Don't take me as a Flames fan with the following comment, far from it. But the last number of posts shouldn't be what this thread is about IMO. I follow it to see what our Provincial rivals are up to and how Flames fans see things going, not to read a p***ing contest about both teams. If it just devolves into trash talk, then close the thread because it's worthless.

For me, I'd actually like to see both teams be much stronger, have a healthy rivalry and enjoy the games where they beat the crap out of each other for a couple points. "

For at least the last year and a half, this thread has mainly provided news about the current and future Flames.

ie: "Hathaway playing well in training camp", "Bennett scored four goals tonight!" "Smid is out with an injury again", etc.

With a few exceptions, it has not been a trash talk thread between the two teams.

It might not be your cup of tea, but I enjoy it as it is.

Which I have no qualms with, I agree with what Peter Tz said. I'm all for constructive and productive hockey talk, as I've already reiterated I'm not here to simply post ad hominem attacks. If you have something of substance to say then I'm all for building conversation.

At the same time, it's not a bad thing to see healthy competition amongst the boards. Let's be real here, there are few Oilers fans who genuinely give 2 flying hoots about the Future of the Flames. It's natural to have some trash talk from time to time. I agree a thread with 200 pages of smack talk is not warranted, if Oilers fans want to chime in and post something of substance I'm all for it.

Edited by rickross

On the real it's an exciting time for both franchises. Both are currently undergoing construction, albeit the oilers have had many more "renovations" then the Flames. It appears they are finally getting on the right track with the moves chia has made. Will be interesting to see if both teams can qualify for the playoffs in a couple of years

Yes I would love to see the BOA playoff series! The way I see it is that the OILERS ARE starting to turn the corner and the FLAMES are going in the other direction. Within 2 or three years I believe we will have more excitement for the BOA

Really ? I'd have pegged it slightly differently. I'd agree it looks as though the Oilers are finally trending in the right direction. I think the Flames took a step back this year but that's in direct comparison to last year's magical run. Overall I think the Flames rebuild has gone well with Treliving and Burke at the helm. Next season will be more telling regarding which team is actually gaining traction

Of course we see it differently. Next year will be the telling tail for sure.

What makes you think the Flames are now headed in the "other direction"? If its this seasons current showing I see where you could be coming from, but overall from an organization standpoint Flames are in excellent position regarding their rebuild. I'd say the Oilers still have a season or 2 ahead of losing before they'll truly compete for a playoff spot. I'm not even banking on the Flames to make it to the playoffs next season but overall I think we have the more balanced core for a rebuild.

Not a big surprise Calgary tumbled down the standings. Follows the recent trend of teams who quickly rose to unexpected success, then faltered the next season. Winnipeg too, for that matter. They'll likely be a playoff contender next season after making a few adjustments in the offseason.

24 year old Garnet Hathaway, a 6' 2", 210 lb RW has looked good in his first 3 NHL games with the Flames.

He was not drafted after 4 years in the ECAC (Brown U) and was signed as a free agent by Calgary in 2014.

Hathaway has since played in 80 AHL games.

Averaging 13.53 TOI, he has 3 shots, 2 assists, 7 hits, 6 BKs, 6 PIM, and is a +3 with the Flames.

What makes you think the Flames are now headed in the "other direction"? If its this seasons current showing I see where you could be coming from, but overall from an organization standpoint Flames are in excellent position regarding their rebuild. I'd say the Oilers still have a season or 2 ahead of losing before they'll truly compete for a playoff spot. I'm not even banking on the Flames to make it to the playoffs next season but overall I think we have the more balanced core for a rebuild.

I'd say our chances of making the playoffs next year depend a lot on the ability of our GM to land one or two quality D men and potentially one good big power forward. I would be absolutely and utterly depressed if this team didn't see the playoffs within the next two seasons.

Flames look to have some really good building blocks. You need to find a true number 1 goalie though I think. When I look at your team on paper I really don't understand how you are in the basement right now. Same for Jets. Our team I get because we are still quite one dimensional but I'd be lying if I didn't say I thought we'd be a lot closers to .500 right now.

Not a big surprise Calgary tumbled down the standings. Follows the recent trend of teams who quickly rose to unexpected success, then faltered the next season. Winnipeg too, for that matter. They'll likely be a playoff contender next season after making a few adjustments in the offseason.

All the Canadian teams are down right now save for the Habs minus Price this year.

The Flames do have a really good core , TJ Brodie, D.Hamilton, J.Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett are the real deal. We're very deep with skilled puck moving D prospects. Getting H.Shinkaruk could turn out in our favor. If Jon Gillies is a true #1 Goalie the Flames will be a formidable team for a long time

I'd say our chances of making the playoffs next year depend a lot on the ability of our GM to land one or two quality D men and potentially one good big power forward. I would be absolutely and utterly depressed if this team didn't see the playoffs within the next two seasons.

Flames look to have some really good building blocks. You need to find a true number 1 goalie though I think. When I look at your team on paper I really don't understand how you are in the basement right now. Same for Jets. Our team I get because we are still quite one dimensional but I'd be lying if I didn't say I thought we'd be a lot closers to .500 right now.

I was thinking the new arena could really shake the funk off the Oilers next season, it's really a good opportunity to refresh for real, especially the guys who've been there all along. Todd MeLelan is a great coach and I think he's the right guy for now to get into the playoffs. Flames did it last year running on fumes, you'd be amazed how different a team can look one season to the next lol..now Flames are sitting in the bottom 3 worst teams.

McDavid will be a problem once he figures this league out, he's making a lot of the other #1 picks look a little more expendable each game. Chia could just get on with it and go for it now and really make some big moves in the offseason. If Oilers haven't made playoffs within 2 years then Chia or Todd will be out

I'm just hoping Treliving stays the course and keeps adding more pieces as he has over the last 2 years, that #1 goalie will be crucial this off season. Flames are starving for skilled RWs right now and a bit more size. I'm still not 100% on Bob Hartley after this season but I'll give him another year to show us how far along the Flames are in their rebuild

Edited by rickross

Injury report

Kari Ramo - torn ACL, out for season

Ladislav Smid - upper body, day to day (12 games and counting)

Sam Bennett - mid body - day to day (1 game and counting)

TJ Brodie - mid body, day to day (1 game and counting)

Flames are hurting, need some major off season works to help this team.

Calgary's major needs are a # 1 goalie and a Top 6 RW (power forward preferred).

Unfortunately, they will only have Cap Space for one or the other.

They'll be out of Cap Hell by the end of 2016/2017, as 5 "unfavorable" contracts will expire.