The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
daffy_duck

Future of the Flames

2 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

bronco,

"Be respectful and non-antagonistic and most people will be accepting no matter who they cheer for."

I feel fairly confident that any Oiler's fan from this MB who followed the above would at the minimum be tolerated, if not actually welcomed on the official Flame's MB.

I find this to be true on almost all hockey MBs with the exceptions of the Leaf's and Canuck's websites.

They are both downright toxic to any fan of another team, it's really a complete toss-up as to which one is worse.

In my personal experience though, Vancouver's CDC is the most vicious.

Just one minor example:

Just before opening night in 2014/2015, I posted my opinion that all of the Flames, Canucks, and Oilers teams were going to be bottom feeders that season.

Man, did they ever rip me a new one, it went on for pages and pages, LOL

When both the Canucks and Flames inexplicably made the play-offs; I was of course pleased to be wrong, and it was so sweet to knock them out in the first round (which they still gripe about it to this day).

Don't sweat it at all; I am not PO'd or feeling insulted, though I admit to being a little slow to realize your true intent (humorous and facetious).

That's totally on me for not picking up on your context.

Regardless, I just thought that I would set the record straight about my intentions and actions with regards to this MB in general and this thread in particular.

To reiterate, I greatly appreciate the opportunity that I am afforded to post here.

Yes, I am more of a Flames fan than an Oilers fan, but I do follow both teams on a regular basis.

Anytime the Flames have been out of the play-offs and the Oilers are in, I have cheered for Edmonton over all other teams, and that's been my M.O. since 1980.

So you haven't had much of a chance to cheer for the Oilers in the last 20 years lol.

Edited by Sharptooth1
  • Haha 1

Monahan probably had about 8 or 9 grade A scoring chances, amazing, glad he got the 2 goals.  Flames future captain and superstar Tkachuck got 4 assists!  Great game Flames.  Smith will need to bounce back from this game, I'm sure he will.  Very impressed with Bennett's play, I personally give him the 4th star of the game.

Another game, yet another comeback win, this time with 2 goals in the last 1:08 with the Flames goalie pulled.

Calgary’s top players certainly came to play.

Mark Giordano scored a real nice SHG in his first game back from suspension and added assists on both the GTG & GWG.

Sean Monahan had 8 solid scoring chances and scored on 2 of them. The 2nd one (his 20th of the year) was the GTG with 0:07 left in regulation play, and he also assisted on the GWG. He is only the second player in Flames franchise history to begin his career with six consecutive 20-goal seasons and first to do so directly following his draft. Kent Nilsson started with six straight 20-goal seasons (1979-80 to 1984-85) after his 1976 draft.

Johnny Gaudreau left the game in the first period due to concussion protocol but returned in the 2nd to pick up a pair of assists and score the GWG in OT.

Matthew Tkachuk picked up 4 assists, one of them on the GTG.

Rookie RD Rasmus Andersson scored his first NHL goal with an absolute cannon of a one-timer from the blueline.

Tonight marked the third time in Flames franchise history in which the team overcame a multi-goal deficit in the final two minutes of a game to win in any fashion. Calgary joined Pittsburgh as the only teams in NHL history to accomplish this feat on three occasions.

19 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Happy,

I "borrow" these from Pyromancer on the official Flames MB.

He usually posts them at 30 games, 41 games, 55 games, then weekly until the end of season.

I am a Flames fan that also follows the Oilers.

Heck, I criticize the Oilers much less than all of you do.

18 hours ago, CalgaryFlamesAltFan said:

I'm pretty much the same as 420, except more bias to the Flames team admittedly.  However, I have watched more Edmonton Oiler games now that I am contributing to this website.  I appreciate the criticism of my team here, I do need to weed through what is constructive criticism and what is an emotional criticism.  We all enjoy hockey, a beautiful dangle move, an unexpected no look pass, unexpected velocity of a puck off a stick, and a great save.  It is interesting to hear a perspective of someone without their rose colored glasses on.

I was just teasing. Imagine if the two teams do end up playing each other in the playoffs this year. We can dream I guess. 

• Thanks 1

Goalie Jon Gillies has been recalled from Stockton as Mike Smith is out with a day to day injury.

Mikael Backlund has returned to skating and hopes to play sometime during the current 3 game road trip.

Edited by 420since1974

After 32 games, the Calgary Flames have 5 players on/over a PPG pace.

Prior to today's games, the lowest of the 5, Mark Giordano's 32 points would make him the leading scorer on 11 teams:

Ducks, Coyotes, Hurricanes, Stars, Red Wings, Kings, Predators, Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Blues.

He'd be tied on another three: Wild, Canadiens and Sharks.

Edited by 420since1974

Watched first period.  Gio scores a shorty, gets into a fight, Gordie Howe Ha...??  Very impressed with Bennett play again, he's coming around and is going to dirty areas.  Jankowski looks really good and engaged today, going to dirty areas also being physical which would be a huge bonus if he gets that skill set with his bigger frame along with his skill level.  Gaudreau seeing ice like a superstar as usual.

Today was a revenge game with 3 fights in the first period:

In the first minute, Matthew Tkachuk went after Matt Dumba for his hit on Mikael Backlund. WIN for Dumba, though he hurt his hand on Tkachuk's helmet and missed most of the game.

Matt Hendricks took on Mark Giordano for his knee on Mikko Koivu. Gio threw the only punch, but call it a DRAW.

Sam Bennett bloodied Ryan Suter just because. WIN for Bennett

Giordano scored a SHG for the second game in a row. He now leads the league in +/- with a +20.

Tkachuk scored the GWG.

Edited by 420since1974
Giordano +/-

G Jon Gillies and LW Andrew Mangiapane have been assigned to Stockton.

LW Kerby Rychel has been recalled from the Heat.

C Mikael Backlund and G Mike Smith are close to returning from injury.

Edit:

Sam Bennett is out with a minor injury, Mikael Backlund returns to the line up.

Edited by 420since1974
Bennett Injury

2 minutes ago, CalgaryFlamesAltFan said:

Thank you Maroon!  Tkachuk PP goal!  Tkachuk's great board work along with play in front of the net, a well-deserved goal.

Iggy is better lol

Calgary scored 7 goals or more for the 4th time this season, this time in the 2nd of two back to back afternoon road games.

Alan Quine and Johnny Gaudreau each scored a pair, but the real story of the game was the Flame’s dominance on special teams.

Calgary converted on 3 of their 4 power-plays and killed both PKs, one of them with a shorthanded goal.

Mark Giordano scored for the 3rd game in a row, this time with the GWG.

Edited by 420since1974

3 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Calgary scored 7 goals or more for the 4th time this season, this time in the 2nd of two back to back afternoon road games.

Alan Quine and Johnny Gaudreau each scored a pair, but the real story of the game was the Flame’s dominance on special teams.

Calgary converted on 3 of their 4 power-plays and added a shorthanded goal.

Mark Giordano scored for the 3rd game in a row, this time with the GWG.

That’s unreal. A defenseman with 3 shorties 3 games in a row! That has to be a record. 

Giordano's GWG today was on the PP, not the PK, so no league record for him.

That said, I'm fairly sure that he has put up 11 points in his last 5 games, which is probably a personal best for him.

He's currently tied for 23rd overall in league scoring (tied for 1st among defense-men) and is also tied for 1st overall in the +/- category.

So this season at age 35, he may get some consideration for the Norris Trophy.

20 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Giordano's GWG today was on the PP, not the PK, so no league record for him.

That said, I'm fairly sure that he has put up 11 points in his last 5 games, which is probably a personal best for him.

He's currently tied for 23rd overall in league scoring (tied for 1st among defense-men) and is also tied for 1st overall in the +/- category.

So this season at age 35, he may get some consideration for the Norris Trophy.

Sorry I must have read it wrong. Gio is having a great year!

I gave up on major awards going to standout Flames.  There is an eastern bias.  The Flame would have to be lights out spectacular to win.  Cherry praised Gio along with Weber of Montreal.  If it came down to them two Weber would win.  There are some fantastic defensemen out there.  Would I trade Gio for any of them right now, not a chance he's too important to the team right now.  The Flames would be a fringe team without him.

3 hours ago, Sharptooth1 said:

Sorry I must have read it wrong. Gio is having a great year!

I think what you read was that the Flames have scored a SHG three games in a row.

2 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

I think what you read was that the Flames have scored a SHG three games in a row.

Probably and just mixed it all together lol. 

Flames having a hard time with Dallas tonight.  I like Hathaway's physical play as a standout but didn't like accident/purposeful hit to the head to Bishop behind the net.  I don't understand Peter's faith in Ryan, right now very much a fringe player with lots of opportunities.  2-0 Dallas in 3rd.

Bennett is becoming a factor in every game since being put on Tkachuk's line.  I feel the team really missed him while he was out last game.  If he comes around and becomes a big 2nd line center for the Flames, it'll be huge.  I think this is last year of his contract, 420 will probably know.  I'm a bit worried about cap issues next year, I'm guessing Tree will make a splash trade at the trade deadline for a big push in the playoffs.  Here's hoping for some hometown discounts this summer.  Player's due for big increases if their play continues...  Tkachuk, Bennett, and Riitch...  maybe even Andersson.  $3.5 million increase in cap this year and Smith might sign for less.

CFAF:

Bennett's $1.95M contract does expire at the end of this season. He'll get a raise, but I don't think that it will be a huge one.

Johnny Gaudreau scored the GTG and added an assist to force OT in tonight’s game against Tampa Bay.

Sam Bennett also scored a goal and an assist to pass the 100 point mark in his NHL career.

The Lightning won the game in the 7th round of the shoot-out.

Watching the Wpg-Cgy game, Flames up 2-1 in 3rd.  Gotta say Lindholm is the best rounded player the Flames have.  He could be a centerman.  He's so responsible defensively and I already knew he could put the puck in the net.  He's now showing a lot of patience and passing ability along with his speed.  Good to see.

Riitch is getting to another level.  Made a few acrobatic reflex moves.  He may be Kipper's heir apparent.

Ehlers is alway dangerous again'st the Flames, again having a good game.

The Flames were out-shot, out-hit, and on the short end of FOs and GVAs in tonight’s road game against the Jets.

BUT…...

Johnny Gaudreau scored a hat-trick, though he took a nasty slash from Dustin Byfuglien when he fired his 3rd one into the Jet’s EN.

Thanks to Mark Jankowski, Calgary’s PK scored their 10th goal of the season, good for 2nd place in the league.  

Mark Giordano continued his PPG pace and blocked 4 shots.

Sean Monahan added 3 assists, Elias Lindholm with another 2.

BUT.....

It was David Rittich with 35 saves who was the biggest factor in the Flame’s 4-1 win.

Several of his saves were simply amazing.

In his 21 games this season, he has a 2.22 GAA and a .926 SV%.

Edited by 420since1974

The Canuckle head fans want a bunch of fights tonight again'st the Flames.  If the Canucks come out and try and fight they will lose in my opinion.  The Flames team right now is not built for fighting, it's built for winning with the offense and with average defense.  Riitch is gold right now, he's showing me he can be a winner, I hope there's no let down in a long season.

I predict a big night for Backs, Tkachuck, and Bennett.  I'm thinking of calling them the Character Line, I certainly hope it reflects the team's identity going forward.  :)