The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
daffy_duck

Future of the Flames

Checking out the Vancouver Fan Forum for the game.  Making some comparisons between the Edmonton game and Calgary game.  End of the 1st period the forum comments are up to 34 pages (you can imagine about what), the total pages for the Van-Edmonton game was 20 pages.  Although, this is a HNIC game, so probably the difference.  Not only are they complaining about the refereeing, but also the commentators!  LOL

Mark Jankowski scored his 4th SH goal this season. He’s now tied with Michael Grabner for first in the league.

Travis Hamonic also scored a SH goal and the Flames now lead the league this season with 12 so far.

Veteran LW/C/RW Michael Frolik’s agent Alan Walsh said in an interview yesterday:

Allan Walsh @walsha

“Many people in Calgary have been reaching out asking why Michael Frolik is a healthy scratch. Keeping one of the teams most efficient and versatile forwards in the stands marginalizes and devalues a great team player. Head coach’s attempt to run a good player out of town?”

Kristen Anderson @KdotAnderson

Michael Frolik was incredibly professional in his approach to the questions over his agent Alan Walsh's Tweeting last night. Frolik said he was he expecting extra media attention today. Clarified Saturday's scratch was not related to his recovery from a high ankle sprain.

Frolik (very politely) directed media to ask questions to his agent re: Tweets: "I'm sorry but on this (situation) I don't think you are going to get (answers) from me. I want to focus on tonight's game and help the guys and fight for the guys tonight."

"With the ice time I had, I didn't get a flow in the game. Those things happen. But I'm back right now and I just want to battle for the guys and be good with (the second) line and focus on tonight's game."

I would say that he is responding on-ice.

Tonight, the 3M line was re-united and Frolik has assisted on both of Mikael Backlund’s first period goals against the Sharks.

Players can respond short term under pressure, we'll see how it goes going forward...  taking a young developing player that has played well with Backs and Tkachuck is a mistake in my opinion.

Edited by CalgaryFlamesAltFan
Developing

That was one hell of a fun game to watch on New Year’s Eve.

It was a high scoring, fast, and very chippy game; with Matthew Tkachuk (2g,2a), Sam Bennett (1a and a goal called back), and Garnet Hathaway (6 hits) drawing most of the Shark’s ire.

Calgary’s top line combined for 12 points in the Flame’s 8-5 win over San Jose, with Sean Monahan picking up five assists. Not bad for a “one trick pony sniper”.

Despite the final score, I feel that both goalies made multiple high-level saves.

David Rittich reminded me a bit of prime Grant Fuhr’s style: “bend but don’t break and make the important saves when it really counts”.

Sharks goalie Aaron Dell did his best Billy Smith impression when he gave Sam Bennett an unpenalized spear during a 3rd period fly by. But if not for his spectacular saves, Calgary could have scored a dozen goals.

Elias Lindholm scored his career best 18th goal of the season, with 42 games yet to play.

Michael Frolik’s first of two assists tonight was the 200th of his 751-game career.

James Neal even scored the GWG off his skate, LOL

“Are you not entertained?” may best describes this game.

I can't wait for Mike Smith to be back in net for the Flames:D

We're nearing the half-way mark in the season and the Flames are leading the Pacific!  I'm now admitting they are for real this year and I'm impressed with how well they are doing.  I wish I had seen the Sharks game last night - looked like a doozy!

Johnny Gaudreau has been named the NHL's 2nd Star for the month of December.

"Gaudreau ranked second in the NHL with 11 goals and 26 points in 14 contests (11‑15—26) to propel the Pacific Division-leading Flames (24-12-4, 52 points) to a 9-3-2 December. Gaudreau collected points in 10 of his 14 appearances, including nine multi-point efforts. Among them were two four-point performances (Dec. 4 at CBJ: 2-2—4 and Dec. 31 vs. SJS: 2-2—4); four multi-goal outings, including his fourth career hat trick (Dec. 27 at WPG); and two additional three-point games (Dec. 12 vs. PHI: 1-2—3 and Dec. 16 at STL: 2-1—3). The 25-year-old Salem, N.J., native – who also shared third place in December with a +15 rating – places fifth in the NHL this season with 21-34—55 in 40 total appearances. He is the first member of the Flames with 55 or more points through the team’s opening 40 games of a season since 1992-93, when Gary Roberts achieved the feat (26-29—55 in 40 GP)."

A slow start for Calgary, down 2-0 after the first period to Detroit. Can’t even blame the goals on Mike Smith, the Flames were just not ready to play.

The response: 3 assists and the GWG by Johnny Gaudreau in tonight’s 5-3 win over Detroit. But he was 0 for 4 on breakaways, so what a slacker eh? Seriously, we are so fortunate to be able watch him play as often as we can.

Sean Monahan has now scored 22 goals or more in each of his 6 seasons. Tonight, he equaled his rookie total of 22 with half this season still left to play. He added an assist on the GWG.

With a goal and 2 assists, Elias Lindholm has set a new career high of 47 points (with 41 games left to play).

Michael Frolik continues to impress. He hustled all night, drew two penalties, one of which led to the PP that produced the GWG, and scored the EN goal.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:06 PM, 420since1974 said:

A slow start for Calgary, down 2-0 after the first period to Detroit. Can’t even blame the goals on Mike Smith, the Flames were just not ready to play.

The response: 3 assists and the GWG by Johnny Gaudreau in tonight’s 5-3 win over Detroit. But he was 0 for 4 on breakaways, so what a slacker eh? Seriously, we are so fortunate to be able watch him play as often as we can.

Sean Monahan has now scored 22 goals or more in each of his 6 seasons. Tonight, he equaled his rookie total of 22 with half this season still left to play. He added an assist on the GWG.

With a goal and 2 assists, Elias Lindholm has set a new career high of 47 points (with 41 games left to play).

Michael Frolik continues to impress. He hustled all night, drew two penalties, one of which led to the PP that produced the GWG, and scored the EN goal.

That one that went across Smith's body and under the blocker was a horrible goal. I think it was the first one. Horrible.

Mark Jankowski picked up his league leading 7th SH point on Michael Frolik's first period SH goal, but the Flames fell to the Bruins 6-4 mainly do to a poor PP, and a sub-par performance by goalie Mike Smith.

Unfortunately, more often than not Smith is letting in the easy first goal early.  I was a supporter of his, but now he said he has stopped being too hard on himself like he was earlier in the year.  I don't like a player that doesn't get mad at himself for mistakes.  It promotes Iginla's golly o' gee I saw some positives in the game and there's always tomorrow.  It didn't get the Flames anywhere.  I've seen Gaudreau take a penalty and his team gets scored on and I've seen him beat himself up on the bench because of a missed opportunity, he comes back with a vengeance and his passion shows on the ice.  This is what winners do, it brings out the competitive spirit, and should spread to other teammates.  Good goalies also bounce back in games after a bad goal because of this attitude.  I'm worried about Smith.

Edited by CalgaryFlamesAltFan

Happy to see Bennett back on Tkachuck's line at end of the 1st period.  In the time that Frolik was on the 2nd line he provided 2 secondary assists in an 8 goal game, I think Bennett actually got a goal that game on a lower line.  Frolik provides no passing ability that is creative and quite often doesn't connect, his defensive ability is undeniable but that is what Backs is for.  Frolik has foot speed but can't match Bennett's shot, speed, passing, nor checking ability.  The Flames may need to setup a trade for Frolik, if unhappy with icetime, for the sake of the team's success.  This is a critical season in Bennett's development in my opinion.

Great primary assist by Bennett to Tkachuck to tie game again'st the Flyers.  And another great setup by Tkachuck, and well placed shot by Brodie to win the game!  1st line didn't really have the mojo this game despite an emotional game from Gaudreau playing in front of his family.  Gaudreau did supply the first goal for the Flames.  Very happy with Hanifin's development, also Andersson seems much faster than beginning of the season and is impressing me with his anticipation.  Riitch played extremely well all game with exception of Flyer's second goal where he gave it away, but recovery was exceptional.

3 games in 3.5 days and 5 in 6.5 days is a ridiculous schedule.

The Flames were tired and played a sloppy game, but pulled off another 3rd period comeback for their 700th franchise road win.

Despite his glaring giveaway; David Rittich was very solid, stopping 32 of 34 shots, many of the high quality variety.

Johnny Gaudreau now has 11 points (five goals, six assists) during a four-game point streak, and Sean Monahan has nine points (one goal, eight assists) during a four-game point streak.

Noah Hanifin picked up 2 assists (one on the GTG), that trade with Carolina just keeps looking better and better.

Hanifin - 43GP, 3G, 23A = 26 Points, +7

Hamilton - 40GP, 5G, 8A = 13 Points, -13

Edited by 420since1974
Schedule

Flames bench boss Bill Peters has been named the head coach of the Pacific Division side that will take part in the upcoming All-Star Game.

Peters becomes only the second Flames bench boss to serve as head coach at the annual showcase, joining the legendary Terry Crisp who guided the Western Conference All-Stars in 1990 as a result of winning the 1989 Stanley Cup.

I have been really impressed by his ability to make timely in-game adjustments to the lineup and his game-plan itself.

He doesn't use a willy-nilly line blender, he'll actually gives more ice-time to the players that are "hot" during a particular game.

He's also very good at determining the right situation in which to call a time-out, and will actually use it, something that GG was downright horrible at.

Kassian, Brodziak, Puljajarvi, Reider, Rattie, Khaira, Lucic have 13 goals in 195 games played

The Flames just scored their 14th shorty

:facepalmmm:

And Johnny Gaudreau has scored 14 goals in his last 13 games.

Calgary's top line of Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm are now all in the Top 15 of the league for points.

Mark Giordano picked up his 300th career assist in his 797th game. 

Edited by 420since1974
Giordano

On Monday, Johnny Gaudreau was named the NHL First Star of the Week.

He scored 5 Goals + 6 Assists = 11 Points in 4 games.

Calgary Flames Prospect Update:

WHL

Milos Roman - Center - Vancouver Giants

17 goals, 14 assists, 31 points in 32 games

OHL

Adam Ruzicka - Centre - Sarnia Sting

11 goals, 26 assists, 37 points in 35 games

QMJHL

D'Artagnan Joly - Right Wing - Rimouski Oceanic (traded from Baie-Comeau Drakkar)

12 goals, 16 assists, 28 points in 36 games

Dmitry Zavgorodniy - Left Wing - Rimouski Oceanic

19 goals, 24 assists, 43 points in 39 games

USHL

Martin Pospisil - Centre - Sioux City Musketeers

11 goals, 23 assists, 34 points in 22 games

NCAA

Demetrios Koumontzis - Left Wing - Arizona State

1 goal, 9 assists, 10 points in 24 games

Mathias Emilio Pettersen - Centre - Denver

5 goals, 13 assists, 18 points in 18 games

Mitchell Mattsson - Centre - Michigan State

0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points in 8 games

EUROPE

Linus Lindstrom - Centre - Skelleftea (SHL)

1 goal, 2 assists, 3 points in 27 games

Eetu Tuulola - Right Wing - HPK (Liiga)

6 goals, 15 assists, 21 points in 37 games

Filip Sveningsson - Left Wing - IK Oskarshamn (Allsvenskan)

9 goals, 9 assists, 18 points in 26 games

The Flames were out-shot badly by Colorado, but David Rittich held Calgary in the game for a 5 - 3 win.

Mark Giordano had 3 assists to bring him back to a PPG pace.

Calgary now has 5 players in the Top 34 for points, 4 in the Top 17, 2 in the Top 10.

Oxford Concise definition of "utter misery".....the Flames are having an incredible season and the Oilers are imploding - again. 

Now I must look up the definition of Karma....

Hoping to see Bennett back on the 2nd line again despite Froliks recent success.  Developing Bennett should be a top priority for the Flames going into the playoffs.  I'd rather have a hot Bennett with more icetime than a hot Frolik playing teams like Anaheim or San Jose.  Both players benefit from Tkachuck's creativity,physical play, and smarts.